PDA

View Full Version : Boating Safety Hijacked but Saved

DonCig
11-03-2006, 07:52 AM
I have deleted my original thread and I have tried to restart it on a more humorous tangent.
My original post was to pass on a news article that supported my thoughts on the wearing of Life jackets while boating.
Here is the original post.
I was reading an article yesterday that I think illustrated why we as a group need to promote the active use of wearing a life jacket when boating.
A state water patrol decided this Saturday, July 29, 2006 to do a 100% inspection over a 2.5 hour period on all boats passing a specific point on an inland lake.
Here are the results:
In 2.5 hours they pulled over 58 boats to do a safety and sobriety test/inspection.
74% of the boats pulled over the operator failed the sobriety test and were hauled off to jail! If the passengers were sober they could take the boat back to the ramp or dock.
I enjoy a cold brewski as well as the next person on a hot day, but keep in mind that some people can not or will not stop after having one or two.
I guess that is why they are called 24 packs.
The next time you are running your boat in another boats blind spot or in tight quarters, please keep this statistic in mind.
OK my friends and associates, I have decided to redirect all of your energies to a more constructive conversation. The only point I was wanting to discuss in MY thread was that it appeared to be a wise choice to wear life jackets while boating. The statistics say that boating is no more dangerous today by any significant margin than it was 10 years ago. This is interesting given the higher number of performance boats being sold today versus 10 years ago.
So now on to a fun and entertaining topic, BEER.
In this months issue of National Geographic there is a one page article on "Beer Country"; that analyzes the beer consumption per capita. The USA ranks 11th place out of 25 places in per person annual consumption. The question that I ask is why is CANADA ranked 19th?
It appears that our Canadian Donzi Breatheren are not holding up their reputations. Could it be that their boating season is shorter and that is what effects their ranking? Or could it be that the rules of Hockey fans participation have changed in recent years?
Have fun with this topic!
DonCig
"Keeper of the Flame"

Carl C
11-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Well some Canadian beer has more alcohol. I used to go to Windsor and bring back cases of Brador (spell?). This has changed somewhat now that we have higher alcohol ice beers but most aren't that good. Anyway maybe Canadians get just as drunk but it takes less beer to get there!:canada: :beer:

DonCig
11-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks Carl. The NG article indicated that historically the climates in each country tend to influence the drink of choice. When you get to the colder climates they tend to manufacture and drink more grain spirits such as Vodka.

Don

Ed Donnelly
11-03-2006, 08:47 AM
The REAL reason Canadians drink less beer is quite simple.
The southern boys drink beer,pass out, and wake up in the morning on the side of the road.
Canadians drink beer, pass out, and are found on the side of the road frozen to death....:canada: ...Ed

Carl C
11-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Here is the item. Bring on the Michael Jackson jokes.:wink:

Tim Morris
11-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Anyway maybe Canadians get just as drunk but it takes less beer to get there!:canada: :beer:

I've noticed that myself, but not for the reason Mr. Donnelly suggests.
I think it's an age thing - and he's in denial

Ed Donnelly
11-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Ireland does my heart proud..........Ed

olredalert
11-03-2006, 09:48 AM
------I agree, Ed...After just getting back from Ireland their 2nd place status is puzzling. Cant figure out why the Czechs are 1st. They must really be awash in beer if Ireland is #2.
------I have a new favorite as well. Smithwicks Ale!!! Hard but not impossible to find here in the US but seems to be easier to find in our northern neighbor. Everywhere in Ireland and I do mean everywhere...........Bill S

Sofa King
11-03-2006, 10:14 AM
try a Blue Moon

p729lws
11-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Well some Canadian beer has more alcohol. I used to go to Windsor and bring back cases of Brador (spell?). This has changed somewhat now that we have higher alcohol ice beers but most aren't that good. Anyway maybe Canadians get just as drunk but it takes less beer to get there!:canada: :beer:

That Bador is good beer. All I had to declare from my last trip to Windsor was a 12 pack of Molsen XXX, a 12 pack of Bador and 2 toilets. It was a short conversation with the US customs folks.:eek!: I think I was only in Canada for about 30 minutes that trip.

Dan

DonCig
11-03-2006, 10:29 AM
------I agree, Ed...After just getting back from Ireland their 2nd place status is puzzling. Cant figure out why the Czechs are 1st. They must really be awash in beer if Ireland is #2.
------I have a new favorite as well. Smithwicks Ale!!! Hard but not impossible to find here in the US but seems to be easier to find in our northern neighbor. Everywhere in Ireland and I do mean everywhere...........Bill S
I think I know why the Czechs are 1st,

They make my favorite suds, Pilsner Urquell

Don

Carl C
11-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Customs is no problem. If you're bringing back beer you'd best declare it; there's just a small tarriff.

blackhawk
11-03-2006, 11:58 AM
74% of the boats pulled over the operator failed the sobriety test and were hauled off to jail! If the passengers were sober they could take the boat back to the ramp or dock.

Okay, if you're looking around and seeing all these boats pulled over and you have a sober passenger wouldn't you put someone you know is sober behind the wheel? :D

Those numbers really don't surprise me, most people have no clue how little it takes to be over the very low legal limits!

Carl C
11-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Okay, if you're looking around and seeing all these boats pulled over and you have a sober passenger wouldn't you put someone you know is sober behind the wheel? :D
Those numbers really don't surprise me, most people have no clue how little it takes to be over the very low legal limits!The only way I can see 3/4 of the drivers being drunk is if they raided a week-end sand bar party. That is completely inconsistant with what I have seen in many years of boating.

gcarter
11-03-2006, 05:39 PM
I feel Don is correct in #3, I've NEVER heard of a Russian drinking beer!:eek!:
But maybe you may have noticed the number of articles about alcohol poisoning in Russia. And the ongoing problems of inebriation there. It seems to go hand in hand where life is hard and drinks are cheap. Ireland is beautiful, but has a LOOOONG history of hard times. And beer (and its derivatives) are the favorites.
Maybe the Czech Republic shares a similar fate.

DonCig
11-03-2006, 07:00 PM
If its really a thread on lifejackets, lets get the statistics on "lack o jacket" deaths instead of posting something about sobriety tests.. You KNOW we are easily sidetracked Don.. :) :)
The other Scott
Link to CG reports that INCLUDE lack o lifejacket info :) :) (http://www.uscgboating.org/statistics/accident_stats.htm)
You asked for it, I will deliver.
For 2005, the US Coast Guard reported that about 70% of all fatal boating accident victims "DROWNED". (491 out of 697)
Of those, 87% were not wearing a personal flotation device.
The nmber 1 most reported type of accident was a collision with another vessel. Which brings us all back to my point in my original thread. A collision with another boat while not wearing a life jacket is what will probably get you when you are on the water. And a collision with another boat is usually a result of bad judgement on one of the two boats involved.

Now back to the thread, Beer talk!

Sofa King
11-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Safe boating is no accident...NOW BEER ME, THIS IS YOUR CAPN' SPEAKIN'

Sofa King