You hate to see this.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/2/85340632.htm

yeller
11-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Now that's a true ski sporter. :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Formula Jr
11-03-2006, 01:38 AM
I have to wonder how high you can make these tow towers before you get a
geometry that will pull the boat over on its side. They just seem to keep getting taller.

Carl C
11-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Only in Florida:rlol: :rolleyes: Must be the salty water...........Did anyone notice that the thing is transferring all force to the front lifting eye?:eek!:

penbroke
11-03-2006, 07:33 AM
I have to wonder how high you can make these tow towers before you get a
geometry that will pull the boat over on its side. They just seem to keep getting taller.

I thought shoulder high to the skier was the right answer...

Only in Florida:rlol: :rolleyes: Must be the salty water...........Did anyone notice that the thing is transferring all force to the front lifting eye?:eek!:

Where would you have it go?

Frank
Didn't somebody want a setup like this for a 22? :wink:

Carl C
11-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Where would you have it go?
Penbroke, on that type of tower there is usually a strap that goes around and under the bow. The lifting eye cannot handle much sideways force and if heavy boarders are pulled there may be damage to the deck. A better choice is a full four point tower. Wakeboarders like the tall towers for lift. Waist high is good for skiing, you just want to keep the rope out of the water. Anyway the point here is that a wakeboard tower doesn't belong on a Donzi Classic!:eek!:

penbroke
11-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Anyway the point here is that a wakeboard tower doesn't belong on a Donzi Classic!:eek!:

...and here I thought it looked pretty cool...

Frank :rolleyes:

boxy
11-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Anyway the point here is that a wakeboard tower doesn't belong on a Donzi Classic!:eek!:
..... but a cuddy cabin does ????? :eek!:

Come on fellas, we're not talking about turning a split window Vette into a hatchback, somebody threw a small wakeboard tower on a 16 Classic....

Carl C
11-03-2006, 12:32 PM
..... but a cuddy cabin does ????? :eek!:
Come on fellas, we're not talking about turning a split window Vette into a hatchback, somebody threw a small wakeboard tower on a 16 Classic.... Point taken, Boxy. Everyone is free to customize their boat to suit their needs. There are some safety concerns with this particular set-up though.

penbroke
11-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Folks have been skiing from the rear lift ring of my 18 since 1966 with no ill effects. That would be a direct horizontal pull. It also has been used to tow other boats and hold the drive up with a strap. Many others have done the same. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the tower pulling up and back on the front lift ring on this boat. But that's just me...

Frank

Carl C
11-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Folks have been skiing from the rear lift ring of my 18 since 1966 with no ill effects. That would be a direct horizontal pull. It also has been used to tow other boats and hold the drive up with a strap. Many others have done the same. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the tower pulling up and back on the front lift ring on this boat. But that's just me...
Frank That's interesting, Frank. If you have first hand experience that this works then I can't argue about it. Seeing that the lift ring is on the end of a threaded rod and is not attached to the hull it seems that it would rock back and forth and ream out the hole in the glass. Another concern is putting a tall tower on a deep V hull. Wouldn't an agressive boarder have that boat rocking like a cradle? Maybe no big deal at boarding speeds but tow boats generally have a flatter bottom and stabilizing fins.

penbroke
11-03-2006, 01:30 PM
My lift rings have a collar around the hole in the deck that the ring bears against with any side load. From your avatar it looks like yours do too.

As for the tall tower I suspect that might be an issue for any serious skiing/boarding. I think that the Donzi hull may not be the best choice for a tow boat. But sometimes ya gotta run what ya brung...

That being said, the rings are just screwed on the end of a threaded rod as you stated. Any side load should be applied with a bit of care and common sense. They are stiffer than you may think, but they are not indestructable.

Frank

Rootsy
11-03-2006, 02:27 PM
That's interesting, Frank. If you have first hand experience that this works then I can't argue about it. Seeing that the lift ring is on the end of a threaded rod and is not attached to the hull it seems that it would rock back and forth and ream out the hole in the glass. Another concern is putting a tall tower on a deep V hull. Wouldn't an agressive boarder have that boat rocking like a cradle? Maybe no big deal at boarding speeds but tow boats generally have a flatter bottom and stabilizing fins.

as frank said the OLD boats have different lifting ring setups than the NEW boats... the lifting rings have a stainless collar ring that go around them and and screw into the deck on the older boats.. so that you have something to bear the load of a horizontal pull other than the fiberglass...

don't try this with your "new" classic and new style lifting rings though

penbroke
11-03-2006, 02:48 PM
No deck collar on the new (thick) ones? :eek!:

Frank
I gotta get out more...

Rootsy
11-04-2006, 09:54 AM
No deck collar on the new (thick) ones? :eek!:
Frank
I gotta get out more...

nope they just rest "on" the deck... they are cast as one piece... check ebay i believe rustnrot has some of the new style for sale that you can look at if you type in "donzi" for a search