PDA

View Full Version : Mich Gathering

DAULEY
11-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Are There Any People Interested In Doing A Event In Port Huron Mich
This Would Be A All Don Aronow Boat Event With A Poker Run Not A Race Just A Fun Run
Lodging At The Thomas Edison Inn
Dockage At Bridge Harbor Marine
Thinking Of August

Carl C
11-02-2006, 09:45 PM
I'd be in.:yes:

ITTLFLI
11-05-2006, 09:06 PM
I would be interested!:boat:

Trueser
11-05-2006, 10:27 PM
I would be.................

Magicallbill
11-06-2006, 02:34 AM
I assume it would be a weekend event? That makes it rough for me, but keep us posted.

From Blue Water Bridge North along the Mich. Shore of the Lake in the summer it's usually pretty calm water. The prevailing West To Southwest winds are offshore at the foot of the lake there.
The exception would be,as always, the passage of a cold front and the North winds that usually follow them.
The Lake is really clear,a little clearer than Lake Michigan,and the beaches are OK,not great. They are strewn with rocks in most places,but anchoring off is easy. Water is deep and predictable in the open lake.
You reg's know this, but there is an incredible current in the river.

MB....

Rootsy
11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
You reg's know this, but there is an incredible current in the river.
MB....

sure plays heaven or hell with the GPS ;)

Sam
11-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Dauley, what are your thoughts here as it relates to a float plan? This is in my backyard and have spent a lot of time in that area on and below the surface of the water :bonk: . If your looking for more options give me a shout for my two cents. You can also poll Bill Stevens (Ol'Red) on the subject, he lives on the river. Regardless of location I would be interested.

DAULEY
11-07-2006, 08:25 PM
sam
send me a pm with your number

Tony
11-07-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm in, unless it conflicts with something else!

gold-n-rod
11-07-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm in, unless it conflicts with something else!

Umm, yes.......... like the 2nd Annual Donzis do Torch and Crystal Lakes event.... the 2nd weekend of August.

It's not nice to step on existing MADCOW events. :(

Dredgeking
11-08-2006, 07:10 AM
I might be in. My schedule is always difficult to nail down.

olredalert
11-08-2006, 08:20 AM
------Geeez,,,I duuno,,,its an awful long way for me. Could we think about the St.Clair Inn and the Harbor of St.Clair??? Its ten minutes closer for me!!! -------Oh yeah, and St.Clair harbor is great and there are other very close by places to stay (walking distance) as well as St.Clair Inn if the prices arent right for everyone there. Also plenty of restraunts (one with docking 5 feet from the outside deck).
------Im in no matter where, though, Somehow Ill make it the extra 12 miles......... Bill S

DAULEY
11-08-2006, 06:57 PM
bill
send me a pm with your phone #
i could use some help with the area as im not form mich

DAULEY
11-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Bill
nice talking with you
hope the dock is ok:eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:
thanks for your offer it will be alot of help
thanks again bob

DAULEY
11-09-2006, 08:11 PM
to all interested in this event lets do a pole
1st weekend in aug
2nd weekend in aug
3rd weekend in aug
this event will be open to all of dons boat companys boats

gold-n-rod
11-09-2006, 08:22 PM
to all interested in this event lets do a pole
1st weekend in aug
2nd weekend in aug
3rd weekend in aug
this event will be open to all of dons boat companys boats

There is a MADCOW event already scheduled for the 2nd weekend in August. In '07, it is on the 11th and 12th. Torch on Saturday, Crystal on Sunday.

Carl C
11-09-2006, 09:03 PM
!st or 3rd will work for me. So this is going to be a poker run for smaller boats? Lake St. Clair would have a lot of good card stops but might be too rough on a week-end. Randy, I'll try to make it up there Sunday only, second week-end in August.

DAULEY
11-09-2006, 10:09 PM
we are hoping to see about 50 to 100 boats donzis magnums cigarettes
formulas squadrons and of coarse the all new Legends
run on sat about 65 miles
sat nite dinner banquet with guest speaker
sun run about 65miles

Tony
11-10-2006, 06:23 PM
As mentioned by Randy the MADCOW SADTAC is the second weekend of August. (Second Annual Donzis on Torch and Crystal...but that means the following year will be tadtac, then fadtac...) It's a good outing on two great lakes. (Not the Great Lakes...)

I'd prefer the third weekend of August, personally.

:beer:

DAULEY
11-19-2006, 02:22 PM
need imput if you are interested so far most like the 3rd weekend i have 45 people that have confirmed that they will be going need to know if you are interested so i can block enough rooms off and to tell the banquet people how many will attend

Sam
11-19-2006, 02:36 PM
That weekend looks fine for me at this point. What route / way points are you looking at. 65 miles a day, on a weekend , on that body of water could be very hard on boats and bodies :( . Being that this is in my backyard I would suggest early start times :bonk:.

If your looking to hang out in any of the bays on Lake St Clair after the main run I can drop off the Donzi and bring the pontoon out as a base boat :yes: .........just a thought. Send me a PM if you have any questions about the area.

Tony
12-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Sounds good to me, but like Sam I am (famous book title?) curious about the route and the stops. If most of the boats are "big dogs" running on the "big lake", I am less interested.

DonziChris
12-02-2006, 11:43 AM
I would be interested.

Carl C
12-02-2006, 06:00 PM
A poker run for smaller boats too is a great idea but I don't know if it's doable on these waters on a week-end. Olredalert's the one to listen to and he says to plan the run early. He lives on Lake St. Clair. This would be great on a weekday; lots of cool card stops; the Detroit waterfront, Metro beach, the lighthouse on my signature, what's the name of that bar restaurant? Anyway I hope it can be pulled off. Again, listen to olredalert and ranman.:)Ooops, listen to Sam too! He's the one who suggested the early start. They all live there.

DAULEY
12-03-2006, 12:46 PM
i will be working with bill to get the ball rolling we will be doing it the 3rd weekend of aug providing the hotel and marina still have space availible
we will not be limiting size of boats just have to be a aronow boat ,but we will limit the amount of boats
should be a great time would be nice to see some of you fla people there

olredalert
12-03-2006, 01:10 PM
-----I havent talked to Bob but it might be good to make the poker-run elective. He may already have thought this, but for those that have smaller boats or just dont see themselves taking that long a run we could consider having an alternate set of plans. What do you guys think???........Bill S

Tony
12-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I guess I'm a little lost here.
Is this a Port Huron/Lake Huron thing, a Lake St. Clair/Detroit River thing, or both?

Carl C
12-03-2006, 06:04 PM
i have 45 people that have confirmed that they will be going That's a good turnout!! I'd be in for Sunday only.

I guess I'm a little lost here.
Is this a Port Huron/Lake Huron thing, a Lake St. Clair/Detroit River thing, or both?

:beer:Dauley, it looks like you're still talking about the Thomas Edison Inn in Port Huron. But like Tony says, do you plan to head down the river or Lake Huron?

DAULEY
12-03-2006, 07:06 PM
sat to lake st clair
sun to the candian waters need to smugle in Ed Donnley may have to go and get him thur so he can enjoy the weekend with us
i am counting on bill and cris to set up the stops
rember this is not a race but a event for all size boats to enjoy
a part of the proceed will go to the breast cancer research in my wifes name (BEV is up there with Lance Armstrong her mentor)
please come and enjoy it will be a safe and fun event

Ed Donnelly
12-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Dauley; Oh Hell, I guess I am in. Whats the worse thing they can do? Confiscate my boat,then shoot me??? If I bring my 10 yr. old daughter, maybe they will just wound me.......Ed

DAULEY
12-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Ed
glad to hear you will be there

Brian Freeman
12-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Count me in too. I will be there. Hopefully by then the bench seat hornet will be done and ready for the event.

DAULEY
12-04-2006, 09:43 PM
should be done by then if not you can run MADDOG

R & P
12-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Bob and I would love to come from Illinois. Count us in...

Carl C
12-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Wow, this sounds like a big multi-state event right near home. I stated earlier that I'd attend sunday only but will prolly go both days. Especially if attendance is limited and this becomes a requirement. I won't need a motel room but save me a spot on the roster.:) :boat: :yes:

DonziChick
12-11-2006, 10:02 PM
This Would Be A All Don Aronow

Hmmmm - I take it my Checkmate is out of the running then? I hope my boyfriend can get his Cig fixed in time!!

Seriously, depending on the weekend, I'm interested

kjly63
12-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Bob, have you set the dates yet? I wasn't planning on 2 Michigan trips next summer:bonk: Might only make one of them; yours or the 3rd annual 20 Cig run? Sounds like you have alot of people coming:cool:

Let me know if the dates are set and there is a hotel & dockage still available.

thanks,

Ken

DAULEY
12-12-2006, 08:42 PM
dates will be confirmed on monday we will be meeting with the hotel and marina
3rd week of aug
agenda
check in thur
fri drivers meeting 1st day of run
sat 2nd day of run
sat eve dinner banquet and auction/ raffle and award money from poker run
guest speakers music and dancing
sun brunch

DAULEY
12-13-2006, 09:48 AM
please post imput on agenda

Carl C
12-13-2006, 10:44 AM
I love the idea of running on Friday. The water will be a lot nicer (weather permitting) and the smaller boats (like my 22C) shouldn't have any problem. I think we could run from Port Huron to the Detroit waterfront. Just my 2 cents.

Schaf
12-30-2006, 05:33 PM
I hope I can make it. Dauley are you going to put an event together closer to the chicago area? Thanks

DAULEY
12-30-2006, 06:22 PM
that would be nice but no enough people for one

ygrowup
02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Is the Port Huron event still a go for this August?

DAULEY
04-09-2007, 11:08 AM
sorry
due to unforseen reasons the event will not be held this year
hope to do it next year

Sam
04-11-2007, 09:51 AM
For those of you that want to run around on this body of water we typically have a couple one day gatherings each year. I'm sure this year will be no different. In years past we have met at the DNR ramp on the Clinton River. From there we blast across the lake and run through the North, Middle and South channels. If the wind is right we may shoot up the St. Clair River a ways and then back down. Weather is always the driving force here but between Bill Stevens, Randy Oak and myself we can help steer things in the right direction (no pun :wink: ). Lunch would be at one of the local watering holes and then from there you can do what you like. Some like to head off to one of the shallow bays or Gull Island to swim and or have a cold one of your choice, while others continue to burn a little more fuel. Fuel is available at a few locations so not to worry about running out. If anyone wants to sound off with a date or two let me know, if not just keep you eye out for dates.

Sam

Carl C
04-11-2007, 10:34 AM
I'll be there. I like to put in at Metro Beach.:) There will also be the Cig 20 run which seems to be open to Donzis also.

gold-n-rod
04-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Keep the 2nd weekend of August open to come up to Torch and Crystal Lakes for the MADCOW ADTAC (Annual Donzis on Torch and Crystal) event. The more the merrier!!! :)

frclarke
04-11-2007, 07:04 PM
I'd like to join in the fun too - but - reading the various posts it seems like an 18 might be a little dangerous - I have no knowledge of this area.
Any words of wisdom?
Fred

gold-n-rod
04-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I'd like to join in the fun too - but - reading the various posts it seems like an 18 might be a little dangerous - I have no knowledge of this area.
Any words of wisdom?
Fred

Which waters are you questioning?

Sam
04-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Fred an 18 will do just fine :yes: . I run my little 16 all of this area with no issues. Obviously there are some days when it just dosen't pay to go out. I can think of several 18's that come out to play.

Doug Lovins
Randy Oak
Bill Stevenson
Kraven
Jerry Eisele 22 and a 18

Give me a shout if you have any questions. On another note you should consider making the drive to AOTH. Lot's of water and lot's of Donzi's :eek!: .

Sam
04-11-2007, 08:31 PM
gold-n-rod, sounds like a great time but I'll be doing my best to try and keep from breaking my back or boat which ever comes first. Check the links out, http://www.mich-web.com/top-o-mich/ and http://www.tomorc.com/TOMORC/Welcome.html. This is a two day event that covers a total of 85 miles. It is listed as the toughest outboard race of it's kind. Picture driving 12' to 13' boats in all kinds of water and weather and doing your best to keep the hammer down topping out at over 60mph. Needless to say it can be a real B@&% buster.

Sam :bonk:

frclarke
04-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I'd like to join the fun.
How do I get the details for the weekend?
Fred

Donzi Jenn
04-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Fred an 18 will do just fine :yes: . I run my little 16 all of this area with no issues. Obviously there are some days when it just dosen't pay to go out. I can think of several 18's that come out to play.
Doug Lovins
Randy Oak
Bill Stevenson
Kraven
Jerry Eisele 22 and a 18
Give me a shout if you have any questions. On another note you should consider making the drive to AOTH. Lot's of water and lot's of Donzi's :eek!: .

& Jenn Oak! ;)

Fred,

Honestly, Lake St. Clair can get a bit snotty at times. But it's nothing that our boats can't handle. We boat all summer long on the lake - every weekend that it's not raining, at least - and we drive an 18. We really enjoy ourselves. The water's so blue and there's lots of area to run. Others have been correct, though. Earlier runs are definitely more enjoyable for long distances. That being said, we wake up every Saturday and get out there around noon. The traffic is the worst part. But there are very few instances that ever cause the need to be nervous.

You should definitely come visit us on the lake this summer! :cool:

Carl C
04-12-2007, 10:30 AM
I'd like to join the fun.
How do I get the details for the weekend?
Fred Which one? Gold-n-rod can fill you in on his gathering in northern Michigan the second week of August. Nothing else is in place yet. Stay tuned.

gold-n-rod
04-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Which one? Gold-n-rod can fill you in on his gathering in northern Michigan the second week of August. Nothing else is in place yet. Stay tuned.

Yupper, the ADTAC (Annual Donzis on Torch and Crystal) is a two day/two lake event. And these are not your run-of-the-mill lakes, either. Torch and Crystal are two of the world's finest inland lakes.

Saturday (8/11 this year) we meet at the township ramp at the north tip of Torch Lake. The lake affords a huge sand bar (great nautical atmosphere, BTW), a couple of rivers to explore, a bar with boat docks, a couple of fuel docks and many miles of open water on which to scream.

Saturday night is a restaurant dinner (location in 2007 TBA) and lodging abounds in Traverse City which sits between the two lakes.

Sunday, we dunk in Crystal at a road end (not bad, really) and spend the day running on Crystal and hanging at its smaller sandbar. No tavern, no fuel docks, but still great fun!!!

It's hard to compare the two lakes; they each have their strengths. Either is a treasure. Folks can do both days or one, depending on your preference and available time.

It's a MADCOW event. Y'all plan to come.

gold-n-rod
04-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Just how nice is Torch Lake? Here's a shot from last year's event. Thanks, Brad H!

frclarke
04-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'll be watching this thread for a Lake St. Clair gathering.
Traverse City looks great but... it's a wee bit far.
Thanks again - Fred