PDA

View Full Version : The New Legend Boat Thread

Dredgeking
11-01-2006, 10:19 AM
I just wanted to start a new thread for the new Legend boats so we can gather all the information into one spot. From what I've seen and heard I'm excited and very interested in these boats. I'd like to see all the information that the partners in this venture are willing to make public.

Donziweasel
11-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Is there a website for this venture?

SideshowRob
11-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Here's the website. They're from right here in Sudbury, Ontario.
www.legendboats.com. :canada:
:cool: :yes: :yes: :yes:
I could be wrong, but I think we're talking about different things here.:wink:

penbroke
11-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I think it's one of those super secret "either you're in or you're out" things that there seem to be so many of around here... :eek!:

Frank :wink: :wink:

olredalert
11-02-2006, 08:44 PM
-------Yes, Rob,,,two different companies. Dredge is talking about a company that has secured the rights to both use Don A's name and build a number of what I guess I would term continuation boats. I am not quite sure exactly what the proper full company name is. Bob (Dauley) in Wisconsin is one of the partners. Another (Chris) is here in Marine City, Michigan near me. I believe Bob is the spokes-person. I have no connection to this endeavor other than a bunch of interest. As well, I dont want to step on any toes in any way so I wont be posting any more info than I already have. Im sure Bob will come on the sight soon and enlighten us as I know Dredge and I arent the only interested parties on this sight. Hope this helps until a bit more info comes out.
-------I can say that from what I have seen, there are some absolutely killer boats both being built and in the planning stages........Bill S

DAULEY
11-02-2006, 09:16 PM
The company name is LEGENDS PREFORMANCE.LLC
we should have our web site up in a few weeks
THE BLACK BOAT YOU HAVE SEEN PIXS OF IS OUR PROTOTYPE
THERE IS A 24FT AND A 27 FT VERSION
WE ARE ALSO WORKING ON A 22 FT VERSION OPEN FISH
ALL BOAT WILL BE HAND LAID AND BUILDT TO ORDER

"NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU DONT HAVE TO DO IT YOURSELF" D.A

BUIZILLA
11-02-2006, 09:33 PM
is the 24 ft gonna be an outboard hull?

DAULEY
11-02-2006, 09:36 PM
We Had Had A Few People Ask That And We Are Working With Our Engineers On This

Lenny
11-03-2006, 12:31 AM
They SURE are pretty, I will say that. Counting pennies, Lenny :(
Let's go back a year and some....

Bob, I feel I can "speak freely now"... ;)

VERY NICE what you guys have done...

penbroke
11-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Couple more photos here (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42615&highlight=legend).

Nice lookin' boat...

Frank

DAULEY
11-03-2006, 08:07 AM
thank you Bill ,LENNY AND all that have posted
this has been in the makings for about 2 years and now is the time to carry on Don:s legendary designs of the 24 and 27 squadron

Dredgeking
11-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Are there any specs available? Any sales literature?

I've been thinking of an egg beater boat, but I saw a Sutphen with eggbeaters and it ruined the classic lines of the boat. After seeing that, I don't think I could do eggbeaters.

olredalert
11-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Dredge,,,Just get in your vehicle of choice, turn the key and aim south. You will be here in no time. Better in person........Bill S

BUIZILLA
11-03-2006, 09:58 AM
I've been thinking of an egg beater boat, but I saw a Sutphen with eggbeaters and it ruined the classic lines of the boat. After seeing that, I don't think I could do eggbeaters.

think...

Progression
Apache
Superboat
Challenger
Intimidator

22 Donzi.....

DAULEY
11-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Jim
if and when we do a outboard it will be on a bracket not in a well

which will extend the length to about 26ft +

Dredgeking
11-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Bill, I made the move to St. Joe, so I'd now have to go east. I have an offer on my house also, so we'll see where that goes. Keep your fingers crossed. I may be heading over sooner than I thought.

Cevert
11-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Can anyone post photos of the bottom? I'd like to see the strakes.

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
11-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Not that it really matters, but did you make your own molds off of an I.M.P. or a Squadron XII, or did you purchase the original molds? I'm just curious.

Eric

DAULEY
11-04-2006, 08:54 AM
molds came from michael
squadronX11

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
11-04-2006, 09:43 PM
molds came from michael
squadronX11

That's good. I've seen some of those I.M.P. boats. Not good! One of those would have required a lot of straighening out before it could be used for a plug.
As I understand it, the cockpit corners and the engine hatches on this design are more prone to stress cracks because of the sharp squareness of the corners. The theory is that rounded corners spread the load around over a larger area, whereas square cockpit corners while they look nice and crisp from an aesthetic point of view are problematic from a structural engineering point of view because actually provide sort of a focus point for stress cracks to start.
This was an OBVIOUS problem on the I.M.P. boats I've seen. Mind you, this doesn't take into account the layup schedule or build quality of the I.M.P.s as compared to the original Squadron XIIs. Judging from the bargain prices of the 27' I.M.P.s when they were new, I'd guess there had to have been some corners cut somewhere. Back in the mid '80s the price of the 27' I.M.P. was very near that of an 18' Donzi! Still, the problem with the sharp corners is a concern no matter what level of care is taken in the layup. Have you added extra layers of glass or done some other kind of reinforcement under the deck around these problem areas?

Eric

Cevert
11-06-2006, 09:35 AM
molds came from michael
squadronX11

Why not call it Squadron? Any photos of the bottom of the hull?

Dredgeking
05-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Any updates on the boat?

Dredgeking
05-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Did this venture die? I hope not. Looked promising.

Dredgeking
06-19-2007, 09:06 AM
No one has anything to say? Did some bad juju go on with this? Give me something.

realbold
06-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Dont know, but where the hell have you been?
I was up in Cheboygan last weekend BTW.

Dredgeking
06-19-2007, 05:29 PM
I was also. The wife and kids are up for the summer and I'm stuck in NW IN working. My damn donzi is still sitting in storage. Maybe I'll get it out this weekend or next and be ready for the next time you're up.

If anyone is cruising on the inland waterway this summer, you're more than welcome to spend a night or so at my river lot. I have a very crappy dock and power by extension cord ( it's quite embarrassing since I'm a marine contractor), but a great spot on the Cheboygan River to over night.

realbold
06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
If anyone is cruising on the inland waterway this summer, you're more than welcome to spend a night or so at my river lot. I have a very crappy dock and power by extension cord ( it's quite embarrassing since I'm a marine contractor), but a great spot on the Cheboygan River to over night.
I'll be back there this summer. Leave a boat :) mine is still under construction:(