PDA

View Full Version : An ethical Question about work places.

Formula Jr
10-31-2006, 05:15 PM
For the past two weeks, I have been volunteering at a local non-profit.

I've meet a few people there that are very good people that are paid employees. They need the work.

However, I've found out that the place could be a total scam and set up just to receive public/private partnership funding.

I will readily admit that I am naive about many things. Most all of my
enterprizes have been ones that I ran. This non-profit bothers me. And has profoundly for three days now. It has a pattern to it that is sinister, yet you could easily explain how it functions as incompetance and happenstance. I was "un-volunteered" almost instantly when I pointed something out in a pattern I saw. It was just an observation and a suggestion to do it better. I made the mistake of relaying that to one of the top people involved directly. And now all they are interested in, is who I may have talked to. And not what I pointed out.

Do I just shut up, clear my head and move on?

boxy
10-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Owen, in the years we've spent together in this little piece of cyberspace you have always struck me as a clear headed, ethical, and loyal person.
Stay true to your core values, and you'll always sleep well at night....

Cuda
10-31-2006, 05:54 PM
It's funny you bring this up. Right now, I'm slow at work, and was thinking of volunteering my tile services for something like Habitat for Humanity. I'd hate to find out it was a scam to line someone's pockets, and no, I wouldn't be quiet about it.

Do what you think is right Owen.

gcarter
10-31-2006, 06:13 PM
I believe Habitat is a great organization.

Tony
10-31-2006, 06:25 PM
I have had only good experiences with Habitat, also.

Are you at liberty, Owen, to reveal what organization it is?
Are they a "chain", or purely local operation?

I would have difficulty not making waves...but of course that is, ultimately, your call.

:beer:

Formula Jr
10-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Cuda as a professional, they will welcome your services. And its a good thing.
They have more "experienced" volunteers than they know what to do with. So they do concentrate on experienced professional service. They, from an outsider that didn't have a construction company, just want a check.

A few years ago I wanted to donate a bunch of leftover stuff from my build to them. And what ever I could do to help out - frame- what ever. The local chapter wasn't interested. They had all the twenty year framers they needed. They are at least clear about how they do things. Donations of secondhand materials is, I guess a problem. And I can see their point. Thats why all materials in a HFH house are new or old stock directly from a retailer.

Cuda
10-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Cuda as a professional, they will welcome your services. And its a good thing.
They have more "experienced" volunteers than they know what to do with. So they do concentrate on experienced professional service. They, from an outsider that didn't have a construction company, just want a check.
A few years ago I wanted to donate a bunch of leftover stuff from my build to them. And what ever I could do to help out - frame- what ever. The local chapter wasn't interested. They had all the twenty year framers they needed. They are at least clear about how they do things. Donations of secondhand materials is, I guess a problem. And I can see their point. Thats why all materials in a HFH house are new or old stock directly from a retailer.
So does H for H have people they pay too, or is it all volunteers?

Cuda
10-31-2006, 06:34 PM
Do you think they would be interested in brand new leftover tile? I often have a bunch left over, and I don't save it. I usually throw it in a dumpster.

Formula Jr
10-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Do you think they would be interested in brand new leftover tile? I often have a bunch left over, and I don't save it. I usually throw it in a dumpster.

They will welcome that, so long as it comes from a recognised contractor.

Formula Jr
10-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Thank you Scott, I was falling in that direction. Yet that doesn't solve whats going on. I guess we don't have to solve EVERYTHING.

Ranman
10-31-2006, 07:13 PM
Here's my second hand HFH story. THey were building houses in Detroit. Several of my company's employees volunteered for a Saturday. The employees worked all day in bust-ass jobs (hauliong lumber, etc) since they were "unskilled". At the end of the day they were "excused". No thanks, no good job, nothing. They came back and reported it as the most unfulfilling volunteer experience in memory.

To add icing to the cake, within two days, in true Detroit spirit, several of the houses were destroyed by arson fires. They suspect that other neighborhood residents were jealous that some people were getting new houses so they burned them down.

Sorry, but I had to share this remarkable story...

mphatc
10-31-2006, 07:20 PM
F J,

I agree with Poodle's words. Move on . . .

As I see it everyone that scams, swindles, cheats, steals, whatever you want to call it will ultimately have their "comeupith"

What do you have to gain by turning them in, vs. what can you gain by giving to an organization that appreciates your time and values . . .

Follow your heart!

Mario

Formula Jr
10-31-2006, 08:14 PM
What my mind is telling me to do, is use the contacts I have with the local paper and have them do some sort of undercover exploration with the leads I can give them. That is the easy choice. I've been fired - if that concept even applies to volunteer labor. I ran blindly into something. I can't investigate anymore.

If I'm right, and what the good people told me is right, this will also lead to the loss of the jobs of the people there that confided in me.

As I've said, they need the jobs. They only said things cause I agreed I wouldn't make waves.

So my heart says, "shut up and move on."

Okay, I answered my own question.
I agreeded to say nothing. I'm clear now...that was my promise.

By the way,this was never meant to be a debate about public/private stuff in general. a certian republican is champing at the bit. The same ethical question can happen anywhere.
I don't want politics here.

Cuda
10-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Whenever I'm faced with some ethical question, I ask myself what would my father do.

Formula Jr
10-31-2006, 09:01 PM
My father was a mortician and a funeral director. And he always said, "Good Morning." It didn't matter what time of day it was, the reply was always "Good Morning." I find that I do this also. Thats the only advice my Dad ever gave to me. Turns out that wasn't such a bad way of seeing things.

gold-n-rod
10-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Here's my 2 cents. Yes, you were fired for asking all the right questions. Yes, there probably is something "fishy." You were a volunteer who was told your services were no longer needed. Use your positive energy to help another organization that really appreciates your skills. The other organization will eventually be called out.... and there will be no splatter on you. You are the honorable one. One man can't right all wrongs.

BTW, props to you for being so generous with your time. The world needs more of folks like you!!! :)