PDA

View Full Version : NASA Says Hubble Repair Mission Is a Go

Marlin275
10-31-2006, 10:10 AM
NASA Says Hubble Repair Mission Is a Go

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) -- NASA will send a space shuttle crew to repair the 16-year-old Hubble Space Telescope, agency Administrator Michael Griffin announced Tuesday, reversing his predecessor's order that had nixed the mission.

Griffin's announcement was greeted eagerly by astronomers who feared Hubble would deteriorate before the end of the decade without new camera instruments, sensors and replacements for its aging batteries.

The rehab mission, likely in launch in early 2008, would keep Hubble working until about 2013.

Without it, the instrument that has captured some of the most spectacular images of the universe would likely deteriorate in 2009 or 2010.

Among its many scientific accomplishments, the Hubble enabled direct observation of the universe as it was 12 billion years ago, discovered black holes at the center of many galaxies, provided measurements that helped establish the size and age of the universe and offered evidence that the expansion of the universe is accelerating.

It also popularized astronomy with its countless images.

Former NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe had canceled a Hubble repair mission in the wake of the Columbia shuttle disaster that killed seven astronauts in 2003. O'Keefe believed the risks were too great and the remaining shuttle missions should focus on completing construction of the international space station.

Griffin, however, said Tuesday that he was convinced the Hubble mission could be conducted after the last three shuttle flights demonstrated astronauts' ability to inspect the spacecraft inflight and make repairs, even in hard-to-reach places.

"The safety of our crew conducting this mission will be as much as we can possibly do," Griffin said. "We're not going to risk a crew in order to do a Hubble mission."

Unlike the remaining 14 shuttle flights needed to finish space station construction, astronauts going to Hubble wouldn't have a refuge in the event of a catastrophic problem like the one that doomed Columbia. NASA would have another shuttle on the launch pad, ready to make an emergency rescue trip in case of trouble.

The Hubble mission would add two new camera instruments to the telescope, upgrade aging batteries and stabilizing equipment, add new guidance sensors and repair a light-separating spectrograph.

"I believe the risks are worth the reward of going into space for just about any mission, in particular the Hubble mission," said astronaut Jim Newman, who was on the last space shuttle mission to Hubble in 2002.

Carl C
10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
That's good news. I've got a little problem with all of the focus on a "space station" that does little more than let a few lucky people enjoy a space vacation.

mikev
10-31-2006, 02:08 PM
good news the images hubble comes up with are so amazing and it has made so many scientific discoverys it has been said to be the most sucessful science project and space mission in history. Hubble Heritage (http://heritage.stsci.edu/)

mphatc
10-31-2006, 07:40 PM
This is soo cool !!

I have a close attachment to the Hubble, as I worked on the development of a cooling sytem used onboard the Hubble for the Near Infrared Camera and Multi-Object Spectrometer . . NICMOS

http://www.creare.com/services/cryo/nicmos.html

I left this company in early 1998 . . . and always felt that Hubble has given us so much valuable info that abandonment was not an option.

Mario