PDA

View Full Version : Elk

Donziweasel
10-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Finally got my elk this past week. A nice 6 by or 12 point bull weighing about 700 pounds. My wife got a nice cow elk around 500 pounds. That, plus 2 mule deer and one Antelope made this a great hunting season. Anyone interested in next year?

goatee
10-30-2006, 09:12 PM
interested??????????? are you kidding me?
i'd love a muley or an elk.
are you on private land?
for an elk tag, you have to draw #'s dont you?
whats an out-of-state tag on o mule cost?

yes!!! im interested!!!!

thriller
10-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Pictures Please of that 12 point Elk:eek!:

Rootsy
10-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Goat,

my best friend and one of his coworkers got mulie and goat permits for wyoming a couple of years ago.. they packed up the silverado and my camper... hunted northern wyoming without success, drove down to gilette and hunted a ranch (pay an access fee + fee for each animal killed) and stayed in a hotel while in gilette and drove back home.. kevin took an antelope and his buddy a nice mulie... all said and done he told me entire cost incurred was 900 / each including taxidermy (but he of course got a DEAL on that part).... so the true cost would have been more around 1100 - 1200 each...

Cuda
10-31-2006, 08:24 AM
I always wanted to go on an Elk hunt, but now I know I'm not in good enough physical shape to do it. I even bought a rifle just for that purpose. It's a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. I've only run about ten rounds through it.:(

Rootsy
10-31-2006, 08:27 AM
I always wanted to go on an Elk hunt, but now I know I'm not in good enough physical shape to do it. I even bought a rifle just for that purpose. It's a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. I've only run about ten rounds through it.:(

i think your 7600 needs a new 700 CDL in 35 Whelen to keep it company ;)

Cuda
10-31-2006, 11:15 AM
i think your 7600 needs a new 700 CDL in 35 Whelen to keep it company ;)
I've got another rifle that I've never fired. It's BLR in 358 Winchester. I think it was made in 1981 or 1982 or something rediculous like that. I bought it for hog hunting, but I bought another 358 that started out life as a Marlin 35 Rem. It's not pristine like the BLR is, so I use it to hunt, and just look at the BLR once in a while. :)

Rootsy
10-31-2006, 02:35 PM
I've got another rifle that I've never fired. It's BLR in 358 Winchester. I think it was made in 1981 or 1982 or something rediculous like that. I bought it for hog hunting, but I bought another 358 that started out life as a Marlin 35 Rem. It's not pristine like the BLR is, so I use it to hunt, and just look at the BLR once in a while. :)

oh come on cuda... i'll even cut the chamber to something more "exotic" for ya... and fireform you some brass in the whole deal ;) nothing like the 35 Whelen "Rootsy Improved" :yes: :D

goatee
10-31-2006, 03:42 PM
nice gun cuda...
rootsy, that really sounds cheap....forget that taxi,,,just the trip alone i would figure it at, gas???300ish????hotel, food, little extras,,,300ish
gentlemens club, $1000.:eek!: ..........forgetting to go hunting,,,priceless.:bonk:

no,, i guess that would be about it.
fireplace is just waitin for a mulie.,,,elk would not fit.

Cuda
10-31-2006, 04:11 PM
I'd like to send Debbie on an elk hunt. She'd love it, especially if you had to pack in on horses. She's just plain lucky when it comes to hunting. This weekend is black powder season here. I didn't get any permits for a management area, so if we go, we'll have to go to that property her dad takes care of on the Suwannee River. He's got some huge deer there on that property. Debbie's brother still has the number four all time B&C typical for the state.

Cuda
10-31-2006, 04:15 PM
This more my type of hunting. I love to hunt wild hogs. These are two Debbie's brother got one morning a few years back.:cool:

Cuda
11-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Debbie just got off the phone with her daddy. He said there are hogs coming up in the fields they keep for quail hunting, and the owner of the property HATES hogs. If I don't get a call for work tomorrow, we are loading up and heading over there. It's black powder this weekend, but then I remembered you can hunt wild hogs on private property with anything you want. I know that the Suwannee is real low right now, because Deb talked to her daughter last night, so usually when the water is low, all the hogs are down in the swamp, which is state land that we can't hunt on. Deb's dad said the hogs are coming up in the land that they grow food for quail. The owner of the land only cares about quail hunting. Her daddy said he put a big piece of a culvert out where the hogs are passing to come up in the fields, and said I can hide in there, and catch one or two coming in or out of the swamp. I'm pumped up! Debbie's gathering up the guns right now. My catch dog it getting excited, he knows something's going on when he sees guns going out to the truck. I'm not taking the dogs this time, just gun hunt.

I'm taking the 45/70, the 358, and my 44 Anaconda. Deb's taking a black powder, because to kill a deer this weekend, you have to use black powder. I just care about hogs. :)

Rootsy
11-02-2006, 06:23 AM
i ALMOST harvested me a 150 class Whitetail yesterday morning (yeah i am pretty decent at "judging" )............ WITH my truck... :eek!: Rut is on here... bucks crawling out of the woodwork chasing tail. This brute stood dead in the road for at least 15 to 20 seconds staring at me as i was stopped 40 feet away... i have to say he was all of 300 on the hoof... 2 - 3 inches outside of each ear and at least a foot tall... nice symmetrical 10 with a bit of mass... biggest buck i've EVER seen in the wild... and i've seen a few bigguns...

Rootsy
11-02-2006, 07:04 AM
speaking of hunting and rifles.... this is what ya call... recoil...

http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/Too_Much_Gun_or_Not_Enough_Sho_W6.cfm

Donziweasel
11-06-2006, 04:53 PM
My wife had just bought a new digital camera and took two pics of the bull, the only problem was that it didn't take, it only was focusing. I do have a pic of her cow elk, and it is still 500 pounds.

Out of state liscence for Elk is around $500.00. It might seem like a lot, but think of it this way. I brought home exactly 410 pounds of meat and my wife's cow was 296. Elk goes for an average of about 17.00 per pound. My elk alone is worth almost $7,000.00. Not a bad deal. I would be more than happy to set someone up for hunting out here. We rent horses for the season. The cost is $300.00 per horse from sept 1- dec 1. Tack is an additional $100.00. Need about 2 tons of hay to feed them, another $200.00 which we split four ways. Horse, liscence, hay, food, beer, it can be done for under $1,000.00.

Now for the question of the day. I would like to post some pics of our camp, hunting, my wifes cow, the horses, etc... but just not sure how to do it. I know you click the pic Icon, but then it asks for an URL. Not sure what to do then. E-mail, you just click attach and that is it. Can someone push me in the right direction?

goatee
11-06-2006, 05:52 PM
send them to goatee72@hotmail.com

i'll postem' here for ya

Donziweasel
11-06-2006, 06:28 PM
I appreciate it, but I still want to learn how. The pics are on my computer, can you point me in the right direction?

22billyzx
11-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Great pics of the elk. My son is currently living/working in Montana (forest service hot-shot crew). He hunted last week,but no luck. I`m hoping he gets one...but not as bad as him!

Donziweasel
11-15-2006, 06:24 PM
A few more pics-