PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell 2007, West Coast

RickSE
10-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Anyone wanna do it again?
To recap, we met in late June of 06'. Weather was good, sunny 100 deg. during the day and 70's at night. Room rates were $109 & $129/night under the group rate.
If we do this again, When and Who Might Attend.
I'm pretty open on when. Mid to late June worked pretty well last time. July and August are usually the hottest months with thunderstorms. September can be an awesome month especially mid to late Sept. Early October is usually pretty damn good but by mid-late Oct. the Pacific storms can be a factor. We are usually on the lake there every month May-Oct.
The 07' winter is supposed to be good one :crossfing , if it is we'll pick up some elevation and it'll be a completely different lake from last year. We only saw/explored about 20%, if that, of the lake in 06'; we'll head further up lake if we do this in 07'. We could meet at one of the North marinas in 07' but they're a little more out of the way and I'm not real familiar that area. Plus DonCig proved that we can get there pretty quick by boat. :yes:

DonCig
10-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Rick, I am in for anytime in June or anytime in September or October.

I would like to do a houseboat in June for a week; so I will be looking for some roomies to share the cost. I am wanting to spend a whole week there this year.

Come September or October, I can probably only do a weekend event.

Don

gcarter
10-30-2006, 01:44 PM
We loved our trip there! We'd go again next year.
However, we'd encourage late September, early October.
We spoke w/ one of our waitresses about the "season" and how it ends about that time. Fewer boats, cheaper hotel rooms, MUCH cooler and the water temp still comfortable.
How about that?

Donziweasel
10-30-2006, 06:15 PM
I will be there (hopefully in my new 18, right Rick?). Open for any dates. I am with Don, houseboat is the way to go.

farmer tx
11-01-2006, 12:16 AM
I would be in for a late June date. Also the houseboat deal sounds good. We had a great time and the weather was the same as back home so it wasn't too extreme.

Keep us posted,
Mark

fegettes
11-01-2006, 04:11 AM
I like the June date also. And I really like the idea of a houseboat.

Steve

yeller
11-01-2006, 10:30 AM
At this time, my preference is October. If it's Oct...we're in for sure. If it's June...not so sure.

gcarter
11-01-2006, 11:16 AM
At this time, my preference is October. If it's Oct...we're in for sure. If it's June...not so sure.
I'd meet you there in October!

Trueser
11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
That had to be the best place/people/water and weather.

I would try to make any date!

Hopefully the fuel cost will be better next year

RickSE
11-01-2006, 02:51 PM
A houseboat would be cool. Just stage it 20-50 miles up lake on a beach and go from there. :toiletpap http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/pizza.gif :alligator Just don't try to follow the damn thing up there, you talk about slow. When we camp with houseboats we usually give them a 2-hour head start for 20-miles. :bonk: Some could stay on the houseboat and some at the hotel depending on preference.

I really think the shortcut will be open next year. If it is it'll make the trip up-lake a lot shorter and easier from Wahweap.

The lake is dead after Labor Day, kids are back in school and the crowds really drop off. There can still be storms to deal with but otherwise the weather is awesome. We camped on Labor Day weekend just around the corner from Dangling Rope Marina and had some great weather, low 90's, and water. It was also nice being that far up, 40-miles, since everyone went back down south in the afternoon/evening and no-one was really up lake the next day until late morning/noon time.

I'm up for any date. I'd say either mid-late June again or any time in Sept. after Labor Day weekend. Early October is still OK but it should be early, 1st or 2nd week.

yeller
11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Talked to the wife and we definately don't want to miss it, so we'll try hard to make any date. We were prefering Oct because we'd like to extend our short summer. We planned on taking 3 weeks off in Oct and hitting Powell, Mead and Havasu.

Trueser, I'm with you on that one. Gas killed me last year. 11mpg and about a 5000mi trip for us......ouch!

Fregettes, you up for Havasu again? I know Rick is itchin to go back. :biggrin.:

George, if the event is in June and we don't go, then....YES, it'd be great to hook up again. I'm sure we'd be able talk Rick into meeting us. :wink:

fegettes
11-02-2006, 04:17 AM
[QUOTE=yeller;393150]
Fregettes, you up for Havasu again? I know Rick is itchin to go back. :biggrin.:
QUOTE]
Havasu? Oh yeah. You can count me in. That is a great lake too.

DonCig
11-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Rick, I am with the group in that it will be a great event in June or in Late September to the first two weeks of October.
I would do a poll on this thread with a cut off date. Then I would go with the dates that create the largest turnout. Or another way to do it would be to alternate every other year. last year was June so go with Sept./Oct. this year. Either way you get to make a decision.

Don

yeller
11-03-2006, 10:46 AM
I would do a poll on this thread with a cut off date.Good idea. Wife has to book her holidays by Christmas to gaurantee her choice.

Either way you get to make a decision
And if anyone is disappointed, we have someone to blame. :wink: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BTW: Where are my fellow Canadians.

gcarter
11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Well, I don't want to sound negative, I can be real hot right here in Florida in June w/o going to 2,000 miles to do it.
I thoroughly enjoyed our trip in June, but it would sure be interesting to see the same territory w/o temps in the 100's and the crowds.
I'm for the poll, and what ever happens, happens.

thriller
11-03-2006, 11:32 AM
October works for me as well. Our summer here is short to say the least..
I need some more popcorn though...Tex??
Maybe the Bacardi boat can show up?:eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Donziweasel
11-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Any month but October is good for me. BTW, if it works out for me, we could also bring our Moomba wake/ski boat if anyone is interested in skiing and wakeboarding when not tearing up the lake in the Donzi's.

Trueser
11-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Just a picture

The water was even lower than in the picture.

DonCig
11-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Just a picture
The water was even lower than in the picture.
Mike, Like most things in life; it is all in the perspective! LOL

Don

RickSE
11-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Mark won't you also have a problem with October?

Weasel, are you hunting in Oct.?

farmer tx
11-07-2006, 01:35 AM
The month of October is out for us. Harvest starts about the 10th and runs untill it is done. In fact I will wrap my crop uo tomorrow and start custom harvesting soon. It's a wonderful place Lake Powell and we will be back.:boat:

Donziweasel
11-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Yeah, unfortunatly it is hunting season. If it were done at the very beginning of October or at the very end, maybe. Any other month is good for me.

RickSE
11-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Looks like I'll have to start another post to do a poll?

Dates:???
Late June

Mid Sept.

Late Sept.

Early Oct.

Days of the Week:???
Mid week dates, Mon-Fri (travel on weekends) OR Weekend dates, Thurs-Mon (travel during the week)

Where's Lenny? Come on I want to see an X-18.

Donziweasel
11-07-2006, 12:06 PM
I just want to let everyone know that is not from out west how our lake levels work. Right now, lake levels are getting to thier lowest levels of the season. They will be kept there for the winter. Our lakes are almost 100% dependent on snow fall during the winter months, from Nevada, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado. If we have an above average snow year, then Powell could definetly benefit with higher levels. Two years ago, Powell was only something like less than 30% full. Two years of good snow has raised it to 51% full now. Not only that, the lakes around here are between 50-70% full while last year were only 10-20% full. This means that we will have to let a lot of water out in the spring. Right now, snowpack around Powell is at 96% and this is a good thing. The 2007 water year starts in October and Powell came up 6.2 ft during October. I think Powell will do well by this spring.:wink:

yeller
11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
I still prefer Oct but if it's in June we would go if it's a mid week meet. We'd take a week holidays and use the weekends for travel.

Donziweasel
11-07-2006, 03:25 PM
What marina do you meet at? Bullfrog is closest to me but probably not for everyone else.

RickSE
11-07-2006, 05:43 PM
What marina do you meet at? Bullfrog is closest to me but probably not for everyone else.

Wahweap last year.

Yeller, I left June in there but sounds like most are leaning towards the end of summer.

DonCig
11-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Weasel, Whaweap is a lot nicer marina than Bullfrog. I will always make the drive down to Whaweap.

Don

Donziweasel
11-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Been talking to Don and we are both leaning towards a couple of houseboats. It is at least a 14 hour drive for me to get to Waheap and if I am going, then I would like to stay longer than 2-3 days. Our thinking is keep the houseboats within 15-20 miles of the Waheap during the gathering and then either before or after the gathering, head out for 3-4 days of exploring the lake. I will probably bring the new 18, my old 16C if it is still around and our Moomba ski boat. I will probably have some freinds with me for the exploring part, then, just my wife and I for the gathering unless some of my friends wanted to attend. So, we have myself in a houseboat and possibly Don. Anyone else? Maybe we could host a lunch one day during the gathering on the houseboats. I can really only go in June and will probably be going even if the gathering is in October. Keep me informed.

Donziweasel
11-14-2006, 06:00 PM
JUST HAD A REVELATION! Follow me close here people. Last year, a company who specializes in houseboat rentals and construction, purchased Mad River Whitewater here in Jackson. I was contracted to do their transportation. It was a great relationship and the owner of Forever Resorts was a great guy. Now, Forever Resorts is interested in buying my company. Even if they don't, I will once again be doing their transportation, which is a six figure contract.

In any event, I know the owner, do business with him, and he might be buying my company. I don't see why I couldn't ask him for some deals on houseboats. He had the 70 ft Millenium for rent and the 59 Deluxe. They are rented out of Antelope Point on Powell, wherever the hell that is. I don't see why I couldn't ask for a half price deal ( I am thinking 1/2 price), especially if we rent 3-5 houseboats. Anyone interested before I call and ask? He also does houseboat on Cumberland Lake for AOTH. Could ask about that too, if anyone is interested.

http://foreverhouseboats.com/destination.cfm

yeller
11-14-2006, 08:19 PM
I can really only go in June and will probably be going even if the gathering is in October.OK...ya confused me with this one. :confused: :)

I don't think we'll be in on the houseboat rental, but we may camp one night.

Donziweasel
11-15-2006, 08:57 AM
I meant I am planning a trio to Powell next June whether the event is scheduled in June or October. In other words, I am heading to Powell next June.:)

RickSE
11-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Antelope Marina is the newer marina about 8 miles up from Wahweap in the main channel. There are basically two boat rental companies on the lake. Aramark holds the main National Parks contract for all the services on the lake, but since Antelope marina is in the Navajo Reservation they don't have the rights to rent there. The Navajo Nation runs Antelope Point Marina and contracts their boat rentals through "Forever". All this is good for the lake since it adds competition; Antelope always has the cheapest gas. Everyone I've talked to has nothing but good things to say about the boats coming out of Antelope.

Coming back to a hotel at night is nice but there's nothing like being out on the lake all night, weaking up in the morning as the sun comes up, being away from the hustle & bustle and getting on the lake first thing in the morning before anyone else is out of bed.

I'm game for a houseboat, but if I do a house boat I won't do a hotel room, one or the other.

Donziweasel
11-15-2006, 01:27 PM
I contacted Forever this morning and my contact is out until early next week. As soon as I speak with him, I will update everyone on what I can do discount wise on houseboat rentals out of Antelope.

Spoke with Don this morning and we are still on the same page. Even if the event is scheduled for October, which I may or may not be able to attend, we are still planning an assualt on Powell in mid or late June. If it is scheduled for fall, I do hope some others will show up in June. I know Rick has said he goes once a month, so hopefully he will come and show us his home lake in June. Keep in touch. Will still do the houseboat in June. Having been to Powell before, I am not sure I could live with myself if I had to get a hotel room. I always at least camp on the lakes I boat at around here. Rick summed it up in his previous post about the advantages to a houseboat.

Rick- Might be closing next week on business. If all goes well, will be speaking with your dad next week.

Donziweasel
11-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Here ya go!

Lenny
11-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Where's Lenny? Come on I want to see an X-18.

Just sitting back and watching for now. I bailed on you guys last year, and got sick at the last moment. Kind of felt bad about that. Still do. So let us just say, I am interested, and I don't care when it is... :)

yeller
11-16-2006, 10:49 PM
....and I don't care when it is... :)

As long as it's not when you are sick. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'd hardly say you bailed Lenny. The amount of work you had going on and still planning the trip......that was INSANE!!

thriller
11-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Lenny Who??
I was sure he was going to show up on the dock in his white High tops and jeans with a 6 pack under his arm...He must have been sick and I mean real sick to have missed this one..I forgive him and all I just feel a Donzi meet or any boat gathering isn't complete without em...:yes:

RickSE
11-17-2006, 10:31 AM
So looks like were down to the end of June or first week in October.

Is it worth splitting this up and trying to have two dates? Looks like we'll get about 4-5 boats for each date if we do. I'd rather see us stick together and decide on one date if we could, but I want everyone to be happy and have a chance to come. I'm also perfectly willing to meet two groups up there.

So far the winners are,

June 21-25, weekend, Thurs-Mon

and

October 1-5, mid week, Mon-Fri

If we do a June date will it be better if it's a mid week deal for the long haul people?

yeller
11-17-2006, 10:54 AM
It's a tough call Rick. Maybe leave it up for another month and see if anyone else adds to the poll. So far only 7 people have voted. There has to be more people that would want to go. The lake is well worth the trip!

RickSE
11-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Ya, I'll let it ride out a little longer. I need to email Lowenski and see if he's interested.

Donziweasel
11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Rick, did you have anyone jump on last minute last year? I can't believe no more than 7 want to go.:boggled: :confused:

Avialanche
11-18-2006, 09:49 AM
I'd be interested in tryin to make it to Powell next year, i couldn't handle the fuel cost this year and had to back out, hopefully the prices won't be as bad in 2007, i'm up for either June or Oct, prefer June cause i like the dry heat.

Mike

Donziweasel
11-18-2006, 10:01 AM
I guess that is a lot of boat to pull from Illinios to Powell. Be nice to have a boat that size on the lake though. Is your truck gas or desiel?

Avialanche
11-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I guess that is a lot of boat to pull from Illinios to Powell. Be nice to have a boat that size on the lake though. Is your truck gas or desiel?

Gas and a thirsty 8.1(496cu.) to make it worse................

Vegas Classic
11-18-2006, 06:04 PM
I'm in for either or both.:)

RickSE
11-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Rick, did you have anyone jump on last minute last year? I can't believe no more than 7 want to go.:boggled: :confused:

No not really, but we lost a few near the end. We basically ended up with eight boats (nine on Saturday) in the group last year.

The potential so far this year sounds like,

Me
DonCig
Yeller
Thriller
Lenny
farmerTX
fegettes
Donziweasel
Vegas Classic
Avialanche
hottub
GCarter
RobT
Verdugo
Trueser

Lenny
11-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Gas and a thirsty 8.1(496cu.) to make it worse................

Com'on, I drive from here to the MOON and back for no reason, and my gas (here) is $4.55 a gallon as it is all across Canada. Once I get there I get 3.5 miles per gallon. :rolleyes:

Suck it up, you only live once

;)

:D :D :D

DonCig
11-21-2006, 07:30 AM
QUALITY always before quantity in my book!

Donziweasel
11-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Don, I agree 100%. Maybe a smaller group would be better.

I spoke with Forever Resorts today, and the good news is they are willing to work with us on the houseboats. John was going to see what the could do and get back to me in the next few days. I guess all I need to know right now is how many are interested in a houseboat and what size. I know some have spoken about sharing one. I will need my own, so there is one. I know Don was talking about getting one or splitting one. Let me know and I soon as I here how much it will be, I will let everyone know.

Z-Man
11-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks to the Texas Roundup crew, who are some the best people I have ever met, they spoke highly of Lake Powell and the west coast owners, thus I'd be interested in haulin' out there for a good time. Either time frames are good for me as long as work doesn't get in the way. I'm partial to warmer weather but as someone said you only live once. If any of the Illinois individuals wants to meet up and haul out together that might make the trip a little more enjoyable.

DonCig
12-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks to the Texas Roundup crew, who are some the best people I have ever met, they spoke highly of Lake Powell and the west coast owners, thus I'd be interested in haulin' out there for a good time. Either time frames are good for me as long as work doesn't get in the way. I'm partial to warmer weather but as someone said you only live once. If any of the Illinois individuals wants to meet up and haul out together that might make the trip a little more enjoyable.

KC Missouri to Denver is a 9 hour drive and 600 miles. You can stop in Denver, Fuel up and I can caravan with you the last 12 hours or 750 miles to Lake Powell.

Listen closely.............Lake Powell has to be experienced once in your brief life span on this earth. I feel the same way about Glacier National Park in Montana and the wilderness in Alaska. If you can not make it this year, put it on the "to do" list for next year!

Trueser
12-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Lake Powell has to be experienced once in your brief life span on this earth

I say twice, This is like boating on Mars.

Wonder How the 29 would be? Have to travel the southern route.

I'm in.............................

yeller
01-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Wondering if we could get a confirmed date on this event.
I'm assuming it's in June, but we need to plan our holidays several months in advance and I want to make sure we get the dates right. :)

Vegas Classic
01-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Let's get it nailed down. :)

RickSE
01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
So lets just plan on June 21st thru 25th.

I'm not sure we'll get more then ten reservations but I'll go a head and set up a group reservation again at the Wahweap Resort like we did last year, may take me a few weeks though.

So far the water situation here doesn't look good. After having high hopes for an above normal El Nino year it just hasn't panned out, all the storms have been going too far south and east to benefit Powell.

yeller
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Those are the dates I figured. Just needed to know for sure.
We'll probably be there Wed. and we have to head home Monday.
Going to stay in town this year and launch further up the lake.

Vegas Classic
01-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah, where's that damn "baby" at?! It doesn't look good but who knows, the little guy may still show up. The date sounds good too me, I haven't wished for summer so bad since grade school! :)

DonCig
02-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Is it possible that we could have 2 West Coast Events per year; and when are the B.C. guys going to get around to throwing a real party?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=403483&posted=1#post403483

thriller
02-27-2007, 12:26 AM
:eek!:
Hey Don, We West Coasters are just waiting til the rain and snow stop then it's full throttle time Baby:) Lenny Yeller and i could show you some Gulf Island stuff that would have you buying Rec property here in a heartbeat:wink:
Our beer actually has alcohol in it and our Scotch aint half bad either:pimp:

Mike

DonCig
02-27-2007, 08:03 AM
:eek!:
Hey Don, We West Coasters are just waiting til the rain and snow stop then it's full throttle time Baby:) Lenny Yeller and i could show you some Gulf Island stuff that would have you buying Rec property here in a heartbeat:wink:
Our beer actually has alcohol in it and our Scotch aint half bad either:pimp:
Mike
Mike, then set up an event that will occur by August 7th and show me what ya got!

Don

thriller
02-28-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't think we need an event but rather just your company and a few others that like to go 80 mph on saltwater. Oh ya you will need your Dad's Home Depot glasses

RickSE
03-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Hey I wanna come play up North.:hyper:

thriller
03-02-2007, 10:08 PM
You bet Rick

yeller
03-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Why don't you guys tell us when you can make it. We're always here. :wink:
Room at the house for anyone that wants to come up.

Rick, you want to wind your boat out, then get up here where your at sea level and the air is cool. :yes:

RickSE
03-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I know Don is seriously considering it. I've wanted to come back ever since I took Blueliner's boat up.

Don, when were you talking about going up? I know it was after June. I'm pretty open like Don, prior to early Aug.

I'd rather just move up there. I'm sick of the here and there winter seasons down here and the lack of water. I want a place where I can ski in the winter and boat in the summer, plus live in the woods and near the coast.

thriller
03-03-2007, 04:29 PM
amen Brother ..Now your talking..
The only place i know where you can carve some turns on the slopes then in the afternoon play 18 holes of golf then go boating for the evening and a Bar B Q:boat:

Vegas Classic
03-03-2007, 06:10 PM
We can do that in Vegas! :tongue:

Donziweasel
03-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi everyone. Been about a month since I have been on the boards. There is definetly a reason why. With heavy heart, I have to bail out on Powell in June. It is just not going to happen. I have tried to re-arrange my schedule to try and make the fall trip if it is still happening. I am very sorry but I hope most of you realize how excited I was and how upset that I can not make it in June.

yeller
03-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Sorry to hear you're not going to make it Donziweasel. Was looking forward to meeting you.

DonCig, you still thinking of coming up north? Why don't you extend your Powell holiday and follow me home. That'll make RickSE jealous and maybe he'll join the convoy

DonCig
03-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry to hear you're not going to make it Donziweasel. Was looking forward to meeting you.
DonCig, you still thinking of coming up north? Why don't you extend your Powell holiday and follow me home. That'll make RickSE jealous and maybe he'll join the convoy

I am looking at coming up to the PNW the end of July or the first week of august. It is too hot and sticky in the Midwest.

Don

yeller
03-20-2007, 11:30 PM
I am looking at coming up to the PNW the end of July or the first week of august. It is too hot and sticky in the Midwest.
Don
That'd be great. You'll love it. The 1st weekend in Aug is a long weekend for us and we may be gone. You bringing your son? Your welcome to stay at our place, even if we're not here. Let me know your dates when you are sure, so I can arrange my boating schedule. :)

BTW: are you still planning on a houseboat for Powell?

DonCig
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
That'd be great. You'll love it. The 1st weekend in Aug is a long weekend for us and we may be gone. You bringing your son? Your welcome to stay at our place, even if we're not here. Let me know your dates when you are sure, so I can arrange my boating schedule. :)
BTW: are you still planning on a houseboat for Powell?
Thank you for the offer on the house and yes I am still planning on the houseboat at Lake Powell. I need to talk to John in Jackson Hole to see hwat what he may have lined up even thought he has backed out of the trip.

Don

Stan
04-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Sorry guys.... but in all your post I don't see if you have decided on a west coast meet. When, where and how many ?

Thanks

Stan :cool!:

RickSE
04-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey Stan,

June 22-25th at Lake Powell. Last year we had nine boats up there; some came in on Thurs. & some left Mon. We may have less this year unless we can pull in some new people like you, so I hope you can make it. So far the who list looks like this:

Me-RickSE
DonCig
farmerTX
Yeller
Lowenski
Vegas Classic
Trueser?
Lenny? maybe he can come down and pick up his CO motor.

Looks like Don has reserved a houseboat for Fri.-Mon. I just called the group reservations and left a message irt room availability and rates at the marina and I'll post once I hear back from them.

yeller
04-04-2007, 11:02 PM
You should try and make it Stan. Everyone needs to boat Powell at least once in their life.

Rick, have you been in touch with Lowenski? Haven't seen him on here since this time last year. Were you staying at the hotel this year? I thought I saw somewhere you said you were going to camp it.
I'm pretty sure Lenny is a no go. I think he's spending all his $ in Europe right now.

Here's my itinerary in case anyone wants to meet up earlier:
Havasu June11~13
Vegas (Lake Mead, maybe Mohave) June14~20
Powell June21~24

DonCig
04-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Where: Lake Powell, AZ
When: Wednesday June 20th thru Monday June 25th. Main event days are Friday the 22nd thru Monday the 25th.
Who: All boating and water sports enthusiasts.
Why: Only the first timers ask this question. It's Powell.

I told you at last year's event that I was going to rent a houseboat at Powell in 2007; and I pulled the plug today.
I have the 59' floating motel booked for Fri. Sat. Sun. and Monday.
It is docked at Antelope Point Marina, which is just north of my favorite narrow, rough water canyon. This Marina is about 5 miles north of Wahweep marina.
I can pick up the houseboat at 8 a.m on Friday; and I have to return it by 2 p.m. on Monday the 25th.

Here is a link to the boats configuration and amenities.

http://foreverhouseboats.com/houseboatprint.cfm?HouseboatKey=901&PropertyKey=138

Here is what I would like to propose:
I have at this time one confirmed couple that would like to stay on the boat for the 3 nights / 4 days:
Mark & Polly Horne from Texas.
I have one AZ couple and their kids giving it a thought.
I am not trying to make a profit on this boat, and I would be thrilled to just recover some of the expenses. Please do not ask what this thing costs. I have stayed at Ritz Carlton's that are considered cheap versus the cost of this water barge. If you were going to pay the going hotel room rate per person at Wahweep, we can probably swing a deal. I will still loose some money, but we can have an even greater west coast event by having this floating bathroom, air conditioned bar-b-que parked on a beach! Please bring Donzi and other boat banners, fireworks, fishing rods and water toys. We will also need hickory, mesquite, apple, and pecan.

I would like to propose the following offer:
Everybody that comes to the 2007 Donzi Lake Powell event can use the bathrooms if they keep them clean.
On Friday or Saturday, or both nights, I propose that we do a Donzi camp out, bon fire and West Texas smoke fest, with or without Lenny and his guitar. Mark Horne is going to be the head smoke master. And an all night southwest star watching / UFO / shooting star party will be had for all. We can probably sleep everybody, including the kids on the boat or on the deck or in the tents for the night. This is the way Powell was meant to be enjoyed.
There appear to be 4 master Queen Size bedrooms on this boat; so if you are interested in roughing it for a few nights; please pm me. I will need one queen room for and one sofa for the 3 people in my party. I do not want to disappoint anybody, but my goal is capacity utilization. If everybody wants all 4 days great; first come first serve, they will get first preference. After that it will be the 3 dayers, then the 2 dayers and then the 1 dayers. Or you can party every night and be a 1 nighter on the top deck! Whatever floats your boat.
I will probably just throw a glass bowel in the kitchen looking for tips, nothing fancy.

Anyway, I hope that everybody can spend at least one night under the stars when you are at Powell in June 2007.

Sincerely,

Don Tamm

farmer tx
04-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Yea Don, I can rough-it with the best of em. Give me a pile of sandburrs and two sticks and I'll cook you anything you want.:)

thriller
04-05-2007, 04:51 AM
Damn.......I would so love to be there!
Have fun and toast one for me. I love Powell and more important the people that go along with it.

yeller
04-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Just checked out the ship.....yikes! that thing is huge. I know how expensive the the smaller ones are, that must have cost a small fortune.
Despite it's size, it should be plenty fast....because it's white. :biggrin:

I'm in for camping one night. The wife will definately appreciate your offer of the washrooms. When the day comes, if there's room on the ship we'll stay there, if not we'll pitch a tent.

Looks like this year will be even better than last. :yes:

RickSE
04-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeller, farmer tx or anyone else you’re welcome to stay at my house if you come through Flagstaff before heading up to Powell. Nothing fancy, just a spare room with a futon but it's free and only 2-hours from Powell.

Like last year I'm planning on going up on Thursday morning unless something changes. It’ll probably be a good idea to go scout for a spot to park the house boat on Thursday and maybe camp there to hold it for Friday morning. It’ll take an hour or two to get the houseboat up-lake even if the camp site is in one of the closer bays. Looks like the water level this year will be about the same as last year. At this water level there are lots of options or beaches to pull the houseboat up on, just gotta find an empty one.

Warm Creek is a nice big bay at mile marker 14, close to Antelope and Wahweap and basically the first big bay up from the marinas. I haven’t explored it much in the last few years but there has been lots of people camped in there lately so it can't be all that bad. Padre Bay is the next big bay with some of the best places for pulling up boats, includes Gunsight, Padre and Kane Canyons at 17-20 miles up lake. As I said last year this is where we usually camp. Next on my list is Rock Creek, about 34 miles up. Rock Creek is nice with fewer people plus Dangling Rope and Rainbow Bridge are basically right around the corner from here. I’d say we shoot for one of those three. There are two spectacular beaches in Navajo Canyon but the location is horrible if you’re running back to the marinas or up lake since its 10-15 miles up Navajo Canyon to get to the beaches.

Yeller, I talked to Lowenski in January, I believe he’s coming we just need to keep him informed. I’ll send him an email. I like staying out on the lake but I’ll stay where most of the people are located. I need to talk to my wife again but she was excited about the houseboat offer with Don. So I believe we’ll be taking one of the beds on the houseboat Fri-Sun night; kids can sleep on the deck. I’m not sure what we’d do on Thurs. night, maybe hotel or sleep on a beach site to hold it for the houseboat. Setting a base camp up lake with the houseboat should be good and help us make some further excursions up lake. We really need to get up into Escalante Canyon this year.

On a side note, they discovered Zebra muscels in Lake Mead, Mohave and Havasu this winter. So far there are no signs of them in Powell but they are stepping up the effort to keep them out of Powell. Yeller, you may have to have your boat pressure washed this time at Powell after coming up from the lower Colorado River lakes. There is a self inspection now that has to be done for those who meet the criteria. Basically you sign a paper stating that your boat meets the criteria and display the signed paper in the windshield of your tow vehicle while parked. The basic rule is that if the boat has been in a contaminated lake and has not been cleaned and dried for 5-days it'll have to be pressure washed. Right now the wash is free but they say that may change after this year. Best bet is to take a clean-dry boat through the park entrance. Here’s the paperwork.

Is the Trueser family coming again??

We'll miss you and the family Thriller, guess we'll just have to come up there.

Zebra Mussel-Free Certification (http://www.nps.gov/glca/upload/self%20certification%20packet%20033007.pdf )

yeller
04-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Warm Creek is a nice big bay at mile marker 14, close to Antelope and Wahweap and basically the first big bay up from the marinas. I haven’t explored it much in the last few years but there has been lots of people camped in there lately so it can't be all that bad. Padre Bay is the next big bay with some of the best places for pulling up boats, includes Gunsight, Padre and Kane Canyons at 17-20 miles up lake. As I said last year this is where we usually camp. Next on my list is Rock Creek, about 34 miles up. Rock Creek is nice with fewer people plus Dangling Rope and Rainbow Bridge are basically right around the corner from here. I’d say we shoot for one of those three. There are two spectacular beaches in Navajo Canyon but the location is horrible if you’re running back to the marinas or up lake since its 10-15 miles up Navajo Canyon to get to the beaches. It's up to those renting the ship, but how about the closer beach for Thursday night and Fri daytime for those of us staying ashore and then move further up lake to play up there Sat/Sun. Saturday night could be the big overnighter. :) Just a thought. Whatever is decided will be fine with me. :yes:

Thanks for the room offer RickSE, if you were north of Powell, I'd definately take you up on it.

The basic rule is that if the boat has been in a contaminated lake and has not been cleaned and dried for 5-days ....5-days :eek!: that's not gonna happen. :wink: I assume it has to be pressure washed there so they can know it's been done or can I do it before I get there?
Never mind. Just read your attachment and answered my own question.

Trueser
04-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Hmmmm,
That is the best water and friends by far. I have to check a few things out and see what I can work out. I started a new web site this year and it going nuts.

That was a long ride home. But it was worth the trip.

Maybe we should post a few pictures from last year.

DonCig
04-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Mike, Great idea, now get your boat to Powell!
Don

yeller
04-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Well I hate to do this, but it looks as if I am going to have to bow out. I've had a couple financial issues come up and although it is nothing major, it will require me to forego the vacation plans. :(

I was really looking forward to Powell this year. Last year I was just getting to know my boat and when driving I couldn't relax and take in the sites as much as I would have liked to. Having a base up lake (with the houseboat) sounds like it will really add to the enjoyment as well.

Hopefully something will work out and we'll be able to make it. Hmm, where's that lottery ticket......

yeller
04-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Well, we managed to do some financial rearranging and have decided to come after all.
Can't miss a BBQ by FarmerTX can I. :)

DonCig
04-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, we managed to do some financial rearranging and have decided to come after all.
Can't miss a BBQ by FarmerTX can I. :)

A couple that has their priorities right, glad you can make it!

Don

RickSE
04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Wow Yeller, that's good to hear, :wink: we'd certainly like to see you guys again. Are you still going to do the other lakes on the Colorado River chain?

I just went online and did a quick check of hotel rates for late June.

Lake Powell Resort (Wahweap boat ramp), $132/night standard room, $152/night lake view.
Quality Inn (Page, AZ), $90/night.
Best Western Lake Powell (Page), $107/night.
Best Western (Page), $89/night.
Days Inn (Page), $93/night
Marriott Courtyard (Page), $129/night

We can't get the discounted rate at Wahweap unless we have 10 or more rooms, which I don't think we'll get to this year so I haven't booked us for a group rate.

yeller
04-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Are you still going to do the other lakes on the Colorado River chain? Still the same plan as before. I'll meet you at Mead, Mohave or Havasu if you want. :yes:

You forgot the cheapy hotel Rick. Motel6 $45. :lookaroun:

DonCig
04-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Never forget that you can sleep in or under the boat on an air matress and save $65.00 to $135.00 a day for gas; and I only charge $20.00 for a hot shower and shave on the house boat. So stop worrying about rooms, we have the whole southwestern sky as our room at Powell.

Remember Toto, this is not Kansas. This is the land of enchantment.
http://lekowicz.com/library/lake_powell_05.html

And for a little extra fun I have hired these two guys to teach us how to Wake Board; Powell Style:
http://www.redrockadventure.com/video/wakeboard.html

yeller
04-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Never forget that you can sleep in or under the boat....
Gee, thanks Don. My wife would love for me to sleep under the boat.....I have a good life insurance policy. :biggrin.:

BTW: I've always wanted to say....when you pulled into Powell last year, with your boat behind the Magnum, I thought that was just about the coolest setup I've ever seen. Your 18 looks killer behind that car. :yes: :yes:

DonCig
04-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Gee, thanks Don. My wife would love for me to sleep under the boat.....I have a good life insurance policy. :biggrin.:
BTW: I've always wanted to say....when you pulled into Powell last year, with your boat behind the Magnum, I thought that was just about the coolest setup I've ever seen. Your 18 looks killer behind that car. :yes: :yes:

Thanks, the Magnum has since been replaced with a Dodge Mega Cab pick up.
I loved the magnum but necessity put me back into another pick up.

Keep that Life Insurance policy paid up!

Don

RickSE
04-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Yeller, I didn't even realize there was a Motel 6 in Page. Motel 6 all the way man, that's all I use when I'm driving across country. For the most part the rooms are always clean, always look the same and always cheap. Take one of the rooms on the houseboat and stay out on the lake with us, it'll be worth it. Patti and I will take one and put the kids on an air mattress on the beach or on the top deck. I've got one more air mattress if someone needs it.

Don, you gonna put a wakeboard tower or ski pole on the 18 for the wakeboard? :lookaroun:

We're going up in mid-May so I'll scope out as much of the beaches as I can.

DonCig
04-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Yeller, I didn't even realize there was a Motel 6 in Page. Motel 6 all the way man, that's all I use when I'm driving across country. For the most part the rooms are always clean, always look the same and always cheap. Take one of the rooms on the houseboat and stay out on the lake with us, it'll be worth it. Patti and I will take one and put the kids on an air mattress on the beach or on the top deck. I've got one more air mattress if someone needs it.
Don, you gonna put a wakeboard tower or ski pole on the 18 for the wakeboard? :lookaroun:
We're going up in mid-May so I'll scope out as much of the beaches as I can.

Rick, I am pulling off the Blackhawk drive and putting on an XR drive. I have decided that I would prefer to give up some MPH in order to tube, ski and wakeboard. Sorry folks, but a rooster tail is sadly overated when it comes to functaionality and fun.

I also will be bringing two extra air mattresses and four extra sleeping bags for the roof top crew.

Don

RickSE
04-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Maybe I'll actually get to ski this year, I'm always stuck driving the boat. I use a 100' rope to get out past the wake.

Did I mention that I own the "Tube of Death"? An 8' diameter tube who's real name is the space shuttle. It's so stable that the only way to toss someone out is to practically kill them with a corner whip. I had one guy one time challenge me to toss him out, he said I couldn't. Needless to say he ended up skipping across the water at a high rate of speed.

I just emailed Lowenski so we'll see if he pops up.

yeller
04-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Maybe I'll actually get to ski this year, I'm always stuck driving the boat. I use a 100' rope to get out past the wake.Looks as if I'll have to bring my ski as well. Haven't used it in a couple years. 100' rope though....that is lonnnggg. Cut it in half and go for the air time. :biggrin.:

I'd like to do the houseboat thing, but the wifes not as big a water lover as I am. She likes to head back to town at night for dinner. Please don't take that the wrong way, she thoroughly enjoyed everyones company last year. We will be doing an overnighter on Fri or Sat.

Does anyone want me to bring anything for them from the Canadian side. Snow, maple syrup, real beer:wink: , Pamela Anderson. :biggrin.:

DonCig
04-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Looks as if I'll have to bring my ski as well. Haven't used it in a couple years. 100' rope though....that is lonnnggg. Cut it in half and go for the air time. :biggrin.:
I'd like to do the houseboat thing, but the wifes not as big a water lover as I am. She likes to head back to town at night for dinner. Please don't take that the wrong way, she thoroughly enjoyed everyones company last year. We will be doing an overnighter on Fri or Sat.
Does anyone want me to bring anything for them from the Canadian side. Snow, maple syrup, real beer:wink: , Pamela Anderson. :biggrin.:

First amd most important; bring the ski and rope.
Second, I understand the wife town issue very well. My EX did not even like boating; so I kept the boats and got rid of her. LOL
Third; I would plan on doing the overnighter on Saturday night.
Last, we have always appreciated all things Canadian, but if you can bring some of your Dark Maple Syrup, the Canadian Toast (used to be called F. toast) will taste especially good!

Don

smokediver
04-23-2007, 11:29 AM
are the june dates for sure and is there any room left on the barge ? i was planning on driving out west this summer with my daughter and this sounds like a great time !

DonCig
04-23-2007, 12:08 PM
are the june dates for sure and is there any room left on the barge ? i was planning on driving out west this summer with my daughter and this sounds like a great time !

Yes, the dates are set in stone and there is room on the barge for you and your daughter.
As far as kids, I think that we have some at 7, 11, anf 13 years of age.
There may be more that I am not aware of as of yet.

Don

RickSE
04-23-2007, 12:47 PM
smokediver, come on out. Powell is a cool place and a sight to see if you've never been here before. I'll have my 7yr old daughter and 11yr old son.

Guys I have the 100' rope, a 75' easy-up rope and two other 75' ropes, one single and one dual handle. I'll also bring our blow-up canoe.

smokediver
04-26-2007, 06:53 AM
i am going to try and make it out there .... looks like a fun time !!

Z-Man
04-26-2007, 01:38 PM
I've made plans to head out west and experience Lake Powell! Unless something goes terribly wrong, which has been known to happen, I plan on seeing everyone in June. DonCig, thanks for the offer to meet up but at this time I plan on taking the southern route out there. Can't wait to see that I'm not in Kansas anymore.

RickSE
04-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Cool, we'd love to see you guys come out. :yes:

Z-Man, I assume you'll come across I-40 then up HWY-89 @ Flagstaff to Powell? Anyway, I'm in Flagstaff so if there is anything you need just let me know. I have a small spare room at the house if you want a place to stop before heading up to Powell. I believe I'll head up Thursday morning. What size is the ZX in your profile?

Smokediver, will you bring a boat if you come?

Z-Man
04-26-2007, 04:47 PM
28...Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that. I'll try and remember to throw in a ski or board to add to the fun and entertainment. Let me know what I should bring or pick up along the way.

yeller
04-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Excellent, the more the merrier. :yes:

RickSE
04-27-2007, 01:31 PM
... Let me know what I should bring or pick up along the way.

Fireworks, they are illegal here, but I won't tell.

Lowenski says he's coming.

yeller
04-28-2007, 01:17 AM
[QUOTE=RickSE;409486]Fireworks, they are illegal here, but I won't tell.QUOTE]That's ok, we can stash em' in the houseboat. It's under Don's name. :biggrin.:

Lowenski's coming. Good to hear.

Z-man, are you towing?

DonCig
04-28-2007, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=RickSE;409486]Fireworks, they are illegal here, but I won't tell.QUOTE]That's ok, we can stash em' in the houseboat. It's under Don's name. :biggrin.:
Lowenski's coming. Good to hear.
Z-man, are you towing?
Heh, I heard that! Then I am bringing my FRENCH Canadian Manufactured Cannon/Mortar that has a 2.625" bore and holds 4 ounces of FFF Black Powder.
It will place a heavy projectile 1 mile out and it will place a tennis ball right on a jet ski running by the house boat. The look on the sea lice as the shock wave hits them is worth hauling it to Powell. Keeper of the Flame, DonCig

Z-Man
05-01-2007, 08:25 AM
I am. I'm planning on making a long vacation of it before heading back.

yeller
05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Don, are you going to mount that on the bow of your boat? :biggrin.:

DonCig
05-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Don, are you going to mount that on the bow of your boat? :biggrin.:
YES!

DonCig
05-16-2007, 07:30 AM
59' Houseboat is now a confirmed rental with no cancellations allowed.

Don

yeller
05-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Don, any rooms left on the tug? Can't do the 3 nights because we have to start heading home Sunday, but if there is a room open for Fri/Sat, we'd probably take it. Can't find your #. Could you send it to me, or call me @ 604-968-6955 (days) 604-944-2733 (evenings/weekends).

No problem if nothing left. We'll still stay Sat and just roll our bags out on the top deck or pitch a tent.

RickSE
05-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Here are some GPS cords off of Google Earth for you guys to look at irt possible beaches to put the houseboat. I'll start close (south end) and move further up the lake.

Warm Creek, is loaded with beaches. Warm Creek has always been very popular but we've been passing it by lately since the Castle Rock Cut dried up. Warm Creek is probably about a 45-min to 1-hour ride in the houseboat, 8-10 miles from Antelope Point Marina.

1) 37° 1'11.92"N, 111°26'47.91"W
2) 37° 3'34.04"N, 111°26'39.11"W
3) 37° 3'52.71"N, 111°26'21.82"W

Up Next to Padre Bay, This is usually where we camp. Lots of water and a good jump off point to head up-lake. Padre is 1.5 to 2-hours in a houseboat, 15-20 miles from Antelope.

1) 37° 4'57.93"N, 111°20'41.18"W Padre Bay (this is the beach where we pulled up last year)
2) 37° 5'4.48"N, 111°19'31.83"W Kane Wash
3) 37° 5'38.30"N, 111°18'17.19"W Cookie Jar (this is a really cool spot behind Cookie Jar Butte)

Rock Creek, Up a ways and people start thinning out here. Dangling Rope Marina is just around the corner and this is a great spot to camp for heading further up-lake, i.e. Escalante. I haven't been in Rock Creek though in several years. Up-lake camping is nice because everyone heads back down to the south in the afternoon/evening and do not return until mid-day the next day so you pretty much have the main channel of the lake all to yourself in the mornings and evenings. Rock Creek is probably 3 to 3.5-hours in a houseboat, about 30-miles from Antelope.

1) 37° 9'46.40"N, 111°11'27.20"W
2) 37° 8'21.07"N, 111° 8'23.15"W

There are other good beaches further north, past Dangling Rope, but it would probably be too far for this trip.

There are certainly more spots then the few I posted; these are just some of the better beaches. I was supposed to be at Powell this weekend but instead I have to go to Phoenix for some family stuff. :( I'll make sure I get up there before Donzi Week though and scope out some of these spots. Anyway, take a look at these cords; just insert them into Google Earth if you have it installed.

DonCig
05-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Rick, I would vote for Rock Creek first followed by Padre Bay Second.

Don

yeller
05-19-2007, 02:34 AM
Maybe we should find out how many (if any) people are staying in town. For the sake of people staying in town, I would suggest no further than Padre Bay on Friday so it's not such a long trip and you could then move uplake Fri evening or Sat morning.

At the moment, Bobi and I will be in town Thur/Fri night and on or near the barge on Sat night. Sat night at the boat is a definate. Don't include us in the tally of town people as Fri is up in the air. We may be at the boat on Fri as well.

DonCig
05-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Maybe we should find out how many (if any) people are staying in town. For the sake of people staying in town, I would suggest no further than Padre Bay on Friday so it's not such a long trip and you could then move uplake Fri evening or Sat morning.
At the moment, Bobi and I will be in town Thur/Fri night and on or near the barge on Sat night. Sat night at the boat is a definate. Don't include us in the tally of town people as Fri is up in the air. We may be at the boat on Fri as well.
I agree with Yeller, lets try and make it somewhat convenient for the in town folks and use Padre bay if possible.

Don

RickSE
05-20-2007, 12:14 AM
The nice thing about Padre is that you can almost always find something. There's not much camping between Padre & Rock Creek which is why I jumped up to Rock Creek from Padre. The houseboat we pulled up to last year is up there right now, supposed to be in Cookie Jar, so I'll check with them later this week and see what they found. There is a slight chance that they may tag along on our trip. My plan right now is to be up there so I can scope things out on Thursday, then maybe find a beach and hold it for Fri.

I'm assuming we'll have anywhere between 4-8 boats & boats.

yeller
05-22-2007, 12:15 AM
I apologize for being so wishy-washy on this event, but once again, I have to say we can't make it. I was confident we could work it out, but 3000 miles, 11mpg, a very thirsty boat and escalating gas prices has made us decide against the trip this year.

Thanks to RickSE for the offer of locating and delivering some high octane fuel.
Thanks to DonCig for offering the use of the houseboat's washrooms. Bobi was extremely pleased about that.

I'm sure everyone will have a great time. I am very disappointed we can't make it.

Now I will embarassingly slink away....:(

DonCig
06-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Well here we go, it's DACA Powell Time again. We will never be the largest Donzi gathering, but we are the largest in the far west with the best western waterway as our playground.

We have a great turnout and the scedule is set so print this one out for the trip!

OK, here we go, 16 days and counting until the 2nd annual 2007 DACA event.
How many of you even remember the meaning of DACA? Who cares, it’s Powell.

Confirmed attendees:

Don Tamm (CO 49), Susan Keim (CA 46),
Ryan Tamm (CO 13), Emerson Newbill (CO 13).

Mark Horne (TX 50) & Polly Horne (TX 43)

Rick Strone (AZ 38), Patti Strone (AZ 39),
Kaelan (AZ 10), Elizabeth (AZ 7).

Lowenski Garcia (AZ 45). Barbara Garcia (AZ 45).

Glen Pendergrass (TX 48) & Trixie Pendergrass (TX 45),
Tyson (TX 12), Kyler (TX 8)

Some of us lied on our ages but all of the women are 34 and I am sticking to that story. Elizabeth and Kyler excluded.

We have a total of 10 adults and 6 kids, so the houseboat is maxed out yet all the adults get a queen size bed and maybe a hot shower in the morning. LOL
Life doesn’t get any better than this does it?

We have varied arrival times so here is a recap:
Tues. arrivals – Hornes
Wed. arrivals – Tamms, Pendergrass
Thursday arrivals – Strones, Keim
Friday arrivals – Garcias

Here is a list of cell phone numbers for all of us so that we know how to contact each other:

Tamm – 303-478-2679
Horne – 806-292-0751
Strone – 928-607-7564
Lowenski – 602-647-6806
Pendergrass – 806-774-1621

Wed. and Thursday are just scheduled to be casual boating and sightseeing days, no activities are planned and you are on your own.

Friday morning I will be at Antelope Island to obtain our 59’ Houseboat for the next four days of R&R.
You are welcome to meet up with us at the dock or you can join us at our final resting spot which at this time is scheduled to be in the Padre Bay area.
Padre Bay, This is usually where we camp. Lots of water and a good jump off point to head up-lake. Padre is 1.5 to 2-hours in a houseboat, 15-20 miles from Antelope.

1) 37° 4'57.93"N, 111°20'41.18"W Padre Bay (this is the beach where we pulled up last year)
2) 37° 5'4.48"N, 111°19'31.83"W Kane Wash
3) 37° 5'38.30"N, 111°18'17.19"W Cookie Jar (this is a really cool spot behind Cookie Jar Butte)

This will not be finalized until Thursday afternoon when we plant the Donzi Flag into the Beach! We will have Donzi flags hanging off the houseboat and where else are you going to find a bunch of nice Donzis all parked on the beach in the middle of an Indian reservation in Northern Arizona? For those of you bringing heavy and perishable stuff to put on the house boat I would suggest meeting us on Friday morning around 10 am to stage or drop off your gear.

I have paid for the boat in full for the trip, I am asking that if you can afford it that you contribute to the shoe box in the boats kitchen something in order of the following. Please understand that what I have listed as the room rate will never cover the cost of the rental. But I felt that we owed it to ourselves to give the houseboat a try. In the future I have secured an unbelievable rate at a 66% discount for the future rentals of both a 53 and a 75’ houseboat out of Bull Frog Marina, but that is for the next trip.
I am requesting a rate of $200 per night for the Queen Beds and whatever you can throw in for the houseboat gas,
launching fees, etc. Like I said, you do not want to know what this tug really cost. The cost for a room at Whaweep is $153.00 plus taxes, so I hope that my rate is acceptable.
If the rate is out of reach, anything is appreciated with no questions asked.

Now to the tuff items: who is bringing what?

Food
Toys
Music
What else is there to bring? Donzis!

First it helps to go to the following web link to see what comes with the boat:

http://foreverhouseboats.com/houseboatdetail.cfm?PropertyKey=138&HouseboatKey=901

So now we get to the tough part, the details:

I will start with what I am bringing and if you would try to add to the list and volunteer to bring some items that would be great:
4 Coleman Heavy Duty Coolers for Ice
I French Canadian Black Powder Cannon for entertainment
Tennis Balls for the cannon
7 Life Vests
I adult slalom waterski
1 pair of normal adult waterskis
Ski Ropes
2 custom intertubes, a one person and a 2 person
Some pinon firewood for some beach marshmallow fires
Some Missouri hickory for smoking
A fireplace grate
2 Coleman Gas Lanterns
2 folding lawn chairs
One six person tent
2 lightweight sleeping blankets
2 summer sleeping bags
One double burner propane stove unit
5 5 gallon gas jugs
Repair tools
1 blender
1 coffee pot
5# of peanuts
Cooking spices (Tex Joy and Cervichi ingrediants)
Outdoor stereo speakers and some wire
CD’s and a few DVD’s

We are going to need things like:
Extra Propane Tanks
Fishing Poles, Powell has fantastic fishing and we would like some for dinner and Cerviche!
Lighter Fluid
Matches
Charcoal (Mesquite and Kingsford)
Paper plates
Paper towels
Coffee Cups
Food: long list to make here.
Drinks
Water
Inflatable canoe.
Playing cards or Board Games for at night.
Does anybody play the guitar other than our long lost Lenny?

Anyway this is the start of a fantastic event that will truly be a memorable lifetime experience.

http://www.nps.gov/glca/

Did You Know?
Even though Lake Powell is the second largest man-made lake in America, it only takes up 13% of Glen Canyon NRA. The rest of the 1.2 million acres is the red rock landscape of canyons, cliffs, and plateaus.

Sincerely,

The keeper of the Flame, Don.

RickSE
06-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Yeller and all from last year who can't make it, you'll all be missed.

Here's a link I posted last year. I'll repost it again due to the wealth of information it contains about the bays & canyons on Powell.

http://www.elakepowell.com/freds/bays.htm

As Don states it looks like Thursday will be exploration day looking for a place to park the houseboat; best chances will be in Warm Creek, Gunsight Bay, Padre Bay or Rock Creek. For general exploring I'd suggest a trip down,

Navajo Canyon
Labyrinth Canyon
West Canyon

Most of Friday will be consumed with getting, loading, driving and beaching the houseboat. I think this day will be a wash once we get the camp established and settled. I say we just chill and have a party that night with some good friends, food and drinks. If we have time and end up in Padre Bay a ride over to Cookie Jar and a hike up to the top for some views of the lake would be cool.

Saturday, lets burn some fuel :yes:. How about we take on the trip I wanted to do last year up to Escalante Canyon? Maybe wake up and do some skiing in the morning while the water is flat, head up to Dangling Rope Marina to top off on fuel, then up to Escalante. We'll probably be camped around mile marker 20 in Padre Bay, Dangling Rope is at mile 40 and the entrance to Escalante is mile 68. We'll probably cover 15-20 more miles inside the side canyons of Escalante then the trip back to camp. Escalante has some spectacular stuff, especially with the lower water level. Rainbow Bridge is also on the way for those who didn't see it last year. We're probably looking at 120 to 130 total miles on this trip. Back to the camp for a good dinner and bomb-fire.

Sunday?? Just have fun, boat rides, skiing, tubing, exploring, and boulder rollin :eek!:. Face Canyon has a really cool slot canyon all the way in the back. It used to be a fun easy hike but with the water level down it’s a little tougher to get in there. My buddy at work gave me the current method of getting into the slot canyon. We should give it a shot if you guys are up to it. Similar Slot Canyon (http://www.wayneswords.com/cgi-bin/wwlprecreation.pl?read=19829)

Monday sounds like it'll be the day to pack up and get the houseboat back in.

Don, I'm going to invite some of my neighbors and co-workers. Most of them boat or beach camp. I left a message with Rob Thomson earlier this week to see if he's planning on coming with the 18C. I believe there is a good chance we’ll see him over the weekend.

Things we're bringing will include,
12 x 12 shade canopy (if my repair pole comes back in time)
10 x 10 shade canopy
big tent
beach table
beach umbrella
firewood
lantern
chairs
hatchet
2-burner propane stove
Coleman propane grill
3-coolers
knee board
big tube
water skis
tow ropes
marshmallow sticks

My buddies have been making gas bombs at Powell lately; fill a small (Corona) glass bottle ¾ full with gas, put the cap back on and poke a small hole in the cap, set it in the fire and back up for the mushroom cloud.

BTW, the water level is about 3-feet higher then last year.

yeller
06-09-2007, 06:54 PM
We were supposed to be on the road last night and would have been 1/2 way to Vegas by now. :bawling: Instead, I'm looking out the window at the rain (and about 65 Deg). :(:(

I'm sure all of you will enjoy this year even more than last.

RickSE
06-11-2007, 11:29 AM
FYI,

Gas on land @ Maverick in Page is $3.06/gallon
Wahweap on land is $3.26
Wahweap on water is $4.22
Antelope on water is $4.18
Dangling Rope on water is $4.47 :shocking:

DonCig
06-12-2007, 07:46 AM
FYI,
Gas on land @ Maverick in Page is $3.06/gallon
Wahweap on land is $3.26
Wahweap on water is $4.22
Antelope on water is $4.18
Dangling Rope on water is $4.47 :shocking:

As of June 7th; http://www.wayneswords.com/gas.html

Weather looks perfect!!!
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=fgz&smap=1&textField1=36.90861&textField2=-111.47278

RickSE
06-14-2007, 10:33 AM
The weather outlook so far looks perfect,

Tue
Jun 19
Sunny
96°/70° Precip. chance 10%

Wed
Jun 20
Sunny
95°/69° 10%

Thu
Jun 21
Sunny
95°/67° 0%

Fri
Jun 22
Mostly Sunny
96°/72° 0%

Sat
Jun 23
Sunny
96°/72° 0%

The water is 70 deg.

DonCig
06-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Updated Monday the 18th.

farmer tx
06-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Everything is packed,boat is in the drive pointed toward Lake Powell. 0600 CST departure should put us there at 1700 MST. Looking forward to a great week of boating. :hyper:

See ya there,
Mark & Polly

RickSE
06-26-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm home. Mark and Don were on their way home today.

What a great trip. I'll update with stories and pictures as soon as I can. We had five digital cameras, so lots and lots of pictures.

Can we get a Lake Powell 2007 folder in the Photo Gallery?

yeller
06-27-2007, 03:27 AM
OK, gallery is up....where's the pics!!!
Sucks that I couldn't go....at least let me see what I missed.

MP, 2006 Powell gallery is in the PNW section and 2007 is in the Texas section, which makes it a little less cohesive. Maybe we could have one section called West Coast and move Powell and PNW to that.

RickSE
06-27-2007, 11:35 AM
All right I'll try to get this going. I'll put a few of the better pictures here then try to upload as many as I can into the gallery. So far I only have our pictures and farmerTX’s.

Wednesday and Thursday

Mark and Don were both at the lake on Wednesday. From what I heard Mark did some running up the lake then they all got together once Don’s party arrived for some dinner in the campground.

We arrive at noon on Thursday after a late night getting ready and a slow start to discovered that Don was having a minor fuel delivery problem so we grabbed lunch and met Mark & Don at NAPA for some parts. At this point we made the decision that we’d drop some of our bigger items off at Don’s hotel room and then head up lake to look for a beach for the houseboat while Mark and Don went off to finish up Don’s boat, hoping we’d see them up lake later in the evening. We finally hit the water around 4:30 and took off up lake. After searching a few side canyons in Padre Bay I was getting a little frustrated with the beach options when my wife pointed out a potential spot in Kane Creek, the last canyon on the right in Padre. We pulled up and checked it out, eventually deciding it would be a good spot with shade in the mornings and evenings and a descend beach. We also had our own little cove with a big rock protecting the entrance and plenty of room for the kids to play with minimal worries. I checked in with Don and Mark but by now it was too late for them to come up lake so we decided to meet up in the morning at the house boat. So we pitched a tent, lit up a camp fire and eventually called it a night under the stars and half moon, eagerly awaiting the adventures of the next day.

The water level in the Google pic's. is lower then it was on our trip so the rock at the entrance to our camp was actually fully surrounded by water.

To be continued….

RickSE
06-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Friday,

Time for the houseboat. We woke up and headed back to the marina around 8:00am to find the others already hard at work loading the houseboat. The Antelope Marina work force helped by trucking all of our stuff from the upper parking lot to the houseboat with golf carts, making the job a lot easier. After several hours of loading, stowing gear and orientation we were finally ready to get underway by 1:00pm. The Antelope pilot pulled the houseboat out of the marina and Don’s boat was tied to the back for the trip up the lake. Mark and I were already in the water so we took off for the beach to wait for the houseboat, and wait, and wait, and wait . Finally after about two hours on the beach Mark and I saw a small white dot come around the corner of the main channel. After about 20 minutes with no apparent change in the position of the houseboat Mark couldn’t take it anymore and decided to head out and confirm that they were even moving towards us. He soon returned stating that they were but could only maintain a whopping 7-MPH. As the houseboat finally approached the beach we moved our boats out of the way and prepared to anchor the houseboat up on the beach. We walked the houseboat up on the beach with the motors, held it on the beach under power, dug the anchor holes and burying the four anchors, cinching down the lines to hold her in place. After probably about an hour of anchor work she was all tied up and ready for the weekend. We repositioned and tied up the scout boats and finished setting everything up before the evening hit. Mark and those who helped treated everyone to some fine smoked brisket with fresh salsa, baked beans and many more treats. As we settled in on the top deck under the night sky we then decided on a run for the next day, Saturday, it would be the Escalante run I wanted to do last year. We then settled in for some much needed rest, again eagerly anticipating the next day.

To be Continued… stay tuned for Escalente.

yeller
06-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Keep em' coming Rick.

To be Continued… stay tuned for Escalente.
Eagerly awaiting chapter 3. :yes::)

DonCig
06-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Some examples of the photos that I have posted in the Photo Gallery section.

RickSE
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
So many pictures it’s hard to decide what to post here. I’ll put them all up in the gallery as soon as I can.

Saturday,

With camp fully established we decided to head off on an adventure today. After waking up to a fine Mark and Glenn breakfast we prepared for what would likely be an all day trip up lake. Our destination was Escalante Canyon to see “Cathedral in the Desert” in Clear Creek and “Keyhole Arch” in Davis Gulch. We prepped with plenty of water and food for a lunch on the trip. A few of the girls stayed behind but we left with my boat full, Don’s boat full and three in Mark’s boat. Departing around 10:30 from mile marker 22 we took up and easy pace in an effort to conserve fuel but soon realized that the wind had kicked up in the channel a little and the ride was going to be rougher then we had originally thought. With the water the way it was and knowing my boat is a gas hog I decided to top off my fuel tank once we reached Dangling Rope Marina at mile marker 40, as did Mark. Leaving Dangling with full tanks the 22’s picked up the pace a little to smooth out the ride while keeping the bottom of Don’s boat in sight, since the bottom was the main part we saw. Passing Rainbow Bridge and just about everyone else on the lake we were soon at the entrance to Escalante Canyon at mile marker 68. Our first destination was to be Clear Creek, a few miles in and a place that I’ve wanted to visit for years. The lower water levels have actually enhanced the beauty of Clear Creek, exposing formations that have been under water for years. We proceeded to the back of the canyon to find some of the most incredible scenery I’ve ever seen on Powell. As the canyon twisted and turned the overhung walls towered over the water below, dwarfing our little boats and caves at the water line were big enough to pull the boats completely into. We approached what looked like the end of the line with boats floating right and left in the shade and floated ourselves for a while to enjoy the new found shade. Don worked his way through the floating boats only to discover that this was not the end of the line and we could go further but we’d have to swim and walk the boats in the rest of the way. Don jumped in then I followed pulling the boats by hand up across an underwater shelf and around a corner to discover a hidden beach with some of the softest sand on Powell. We then worked together to help Mark through the section. We pulled up here and jumped out of the boats to hike up the canyon looking for the water fall we had heard was up ahead. Sure enough, up around the corner was a large pool with a 20’ water fall and a climbing rope up through the waterfall. About halfway up the rope was a small 4’ diameter 7’ deep pool cut out of the rock by the dropping water. I eventually made it all the way up the rope and over the ledge only to find yet another pool and 10’ waterfall with a rope. After climbing this rope the canyon seemed to run up into the sandstone so I returned back down the ropes for some lunch with the others. This place was magical and we stayed in this spot for a couple of hours, talking and watching the colors change as the sunlight moved through the canyon. We even answered a few questions about the “Donzi” rental boats we had brought up the lake. We eventually decided it was time to move on and walked the boats back out of the canyon, firing up the horsepower to the smiling onlookers to proceed up to Davis Gulch. Davis Gulch contains a keyhole arch and Indian ruins. We found the keyhole arch in the back of the canyon but never did see the ruins, probably due to the water level. By now it was close to 5:00pm and time to head back to camp. We again picked up the pace a little and made another stop at Dangling Rope to top off the tanks. We arrived back at camp to find that we’d been joined by another Donzi; Rob T. with my old 18C had come up while we were away on the trip. This was a long trip, over 100-miles round trip, so we pulled back into camp and wound down, telling those we left behind about what we’d seen that day. It was a great day with some great friend, great boats and impressive scenery. We then treated ourselves to Don’s steak fajitas, corn on the cob and lots of other good treats. Before we knew it the sun was down and we soon discovered that our bay contained a hidden face in the rock, proudly watching our every move. I’ll let others state whose face profile they thought it was. Time for bed and get rested for the next day.

To be Continued…

yeller
06-29-2007, 01:09 AM
UNBELIEVABLE PICS!! Bobi and I still can't stop talking about what we saw last year....but it looks like you guys went to even better places this year. :yes: :yes:
You have no idea how jealous I am.

Question though....the Farmer didn't walk his boat in did he? That would mean he actually had to get in the ice cold water. :biggrin.:

Don,
Are you still planning on coming up here?

BTW: My 1st impression of the face was Nixon. 2nd look...Bob Hope.

yeller
06-29-2007, 01:17 AM
I'd love to get a copy of the pics from anyone, if it's not too much trouble. Let me know and I'll give you my address....send it collect, of course.

DonCig
06-29-2007, 07:14 AM
[QUOTE=yeller;415560].
Question though....the Farmer didn't walk his boat in did he? That would mean he actually had to get in the ice cold water. :biggrin.:
QUOTE]

No < mark did not walk his boat in, he brought his own tender by the name of Glen.....LOL

Come to think of it, I do not ever remember seeing Mark enter the perfect temperature water on this trip, even after his baking his back in the midday sun. You may be on to something here. In all the years that I have know Mark, I have never seen him dip a toe in the water........Huh

Don

ps - pm me your mailing address for a copy of my pics.

RickSE
06-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Mark did actually get in the water in Escalante; he was in the water while we were eating lunch in the back of Clear Creek. I think he was cooling off his feet after standing on the sand to take pictures.

Sunday,

At some point on Sunday my son asked me “Dad, what day is it?” to which I responded “Son, it doesn’t matter what day it is up here”. I then told him it was Sunday to which he said “Ah-man that means we have to go home tomorrow”. Sunday was our day to have fun with the kids. After another good breakfast we decided to pull out the skis, tubes, knee boards and anything else we could find. We passed around the tube then a little pair’s action with the knee board and slide tube; Don took the older boys out on the skis. After several hours of tossing the kids around we loaded up the boats for some adult test drives. Don and I were running about the same speeds but it was amazing how much faster Don’s boat felt with no windshield and the “sittin on the water” 18C feel. Mark looked over at me after one run in Don’s boat and said “Man I like my windshield”. I laughed and agreed as I pulled the bugs out of my teeth. The ride in Don’s boat sure did remind me of how much fun the 18C can be. After the boat rides we decided it was time to beat up some adults on the skis. Glenn, Don and I soon realized that the water in our bay was not as smooth as it looked. It probably would have been best to wait until later in the evening but we gave it our best shot. At some point we said goodbye to Rob and his party as they headed for home and that dreaded Monday work day. This pretty much wrapped up our Sunday. We gilled up some salmon along with fresh peppers and Mark’s guacamole and finished off some of the leftovers before we settled in for a camp fire on the beach and a night of rest.

Another great day.

RickSE
06-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Monday,

Time to pull up the anchors and head home. This morning started with pancakes and bacon on the stove. I believe there was some early skiing but inevitable it was time to pack up and head home since the house boat had to be back at the marina by 2:00pm. Time to get the lizard out of the tent, shoe the snake away that was hiding under the tent, try not to step on the frog that kept passing by and pack things up. Around 11:00am we pulled the last anchor on the house boat and backed her out into the bay for the trip back to the marina. Mark and I stayed behind knowing full well that the house boat needed one heck of a head start so we cleaned up our boats as we watched the house boat vanish away like Clint Eastwood in the “High Plains Drifter”. As the 22’s sat in our cove waiting for their turn to run down the houseboat a fishing boat trolled in. The guys on the fish boat asked what we were up to and we explained that our house boat had left an hour ago and we were just waiting, giving them a head start. They then looked at out boats and said “You guys better give them another hour”. By now our boats were light, bows up, transoms down as both Mark and I had light fuel loads and almost no gear on board. The boats seemed as eager as the drivers for the run back into the marina. After over an hour we finally decided we’d waited long enough and headed out to run down the house boat and head back to the marina. We ran into Don in the 18 about a mile out from camp and he stated that he was so low on fuel and didn’t know if he’d make it all the way back to the marina. I knew I was low but felt I had just enough to make it in, Mark said he was fine. We passed the houseboat within 10-minutes and did some fly-by’s for the girls on the top deck. Don ran out of gas about 5-miles out from the marina so we floated for while then tied him up to the back of the house boat for a tow in. At this point I decided one more fly-by the house boat was in the cards then I’d better head in before I run out of fuel. I passed the house boat around 65-MPH and realized that the chaotic main channel water was amazingly smooth up on top today. I usually don’t get a chance to run the channel alone or with a light boat so I let her rip and trimmed up a little more for 70-MPH all the way back into the marina, what a fun ride.

This is where it ends. We unloaded the houseboat, loaded the trucks, pulled the boats out, said our good bye’s and headed for home.

Our summers on Lake Powell have never been the same after we do one of these events. As we continue to run Lake Powell through the summer I keep looking over my shoulder for the other Donzi’s or hoping that I’ll spot the narrow beam and bow up attitude of one floating in the water as I come around a corner, but they’re never there. Running with you guys is the funest part of our summer, now all I have are the slow poke boats.

RickSE
06-29-2007, 12:41 PM
One video uploaded, I'm working on two more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bE-qz0Lf3E

DonCig
06-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Rick, I noticed that in most of the photos that the participants are wearing life jackets. A nice statment to taking Powell and safety seriously, even at 101 degree F. Low humidity is a life saver, is it not?

Don

DonCig
06-30-2007, 08:32 AM
I uploaded all my photos this am to the 2007 Lake Powell Photo Gallery section, enjoy!

http://www.donzi.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=618

Don

RickSE
06-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Wow, 428 photos and I even deleted a lot of mine. I think we're winning the photo count contest, if there is one. :rlol:

Don and others, here's a link to the Powell Fest event in Aug. This is the event where they roast a full pig in the ground while their running a poker run. Once the run is done the pig comes out of the ground for the feast.

Powell Fest (http://www.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145220)