PDA

View Full Version : Different Day on the water

wrussellw
10-29-2006, 07:25 AM
We have had a strong north wind the last few days. This causes the lake level to drop a couple of feet and make the lake extremely rough.
I have been helping my brother in-law get his 2005 Johnson 90hp and 20' bateau running. We had to remove it from his second floor bedroom after Katrina, another story.
I decided we should put in the Tchfuncte River in Madsionville and cruise the river. The water level was really low and the recent slight drop in water temperature has made the water very clear. I wanted to go explore some old Civil War ships that had been sank up the river. I help document the vessels years ago for the local University and the Lake Ponchartrain Basin Museum, (lpbmaritimemuseum.org).
We pulled up to a 125' Schooner, the water was so clear and low I noticed the ship still had it brick ballast intact. The bricks are still in good shape, I held my brother in-law by the feet and he grabbed us each one.
I accidently :wink: lost my grip and he went in on the way up.
Here's an a photo off the Internet of the brick. The bricks were only made from 1857-1896. Found something else out, there are people that collect bricks.:confused:
Well takes all kinds.

boldts
10-29-2006, 11:11 AM
I think that is very cool. (Except for the dropping of your partner. LOL) Anyway, be careful what you say about brick collectors. My father is a Civil Engineer who works in the brick industry. He has created formulas that help the companies operate the humungous brick kilns in them run more efficent. He has been able to save companies a vast amount of money in fuel savings.

Anyway, growing up, us kids were always on the job site of new brick plants being built and yes, we always had examples of the products from those plants. We've had some fantastic entertainment item shelves in our homes over the years. One of my favorites was a large piece that was about 1.5' wide by 2' high. In the center were 6 square holes. These things weighed a ton to us kids, but those holes made great wine bottle holders for my parents. 8 of those babies 3 boards about 8 to 10 feet long made one heck of a stylish entertainment center.

Sorry to get off subject. Your very lucky to have and see that part of history where you live.