PDA

View Full Version : 19' Hornet Value

bifs19
10-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm getting older (medicare next year) as is my 1973 19' Hornet. I've owned the Donzi for over 20 yrs and never considered parting with it. Actually, I'm the original "titled" owner as the Hornet was never sold to a customer; but languished in storage (as a left over demo) until I purchased it in the early 80s. I've been using it less and less with each passing year; sometimes not using it all summer. Anyway, the thought of selling it has begun to germinate; but I haven't completely decided. I suppose it depends on what compensation would be involved.
This boat is mostly in original "numbers matching" condition:
A. Original Chevy 427 Mercruiser engine, Type III outdrive, and VelvetDrive trans. All engine accessaries are original; including the plug wires and manifolds.
B. Original interior, seat cushions, carpet, and instrumentation/panel.
C. Hull and deck have never been painted (original gel-coat).
D. All fittings, windshield, hardware are original.
E. I have added trim tabs and associated dash control (only modification)

While the boat makes a nice appearance and has been carefully maintained, it is 33 yrs old with the original engine. The engine has virtually no wear and tear mechanically (few hours), but 33 yrs is a long time for marine water jackets in the Chesapeake Bay. I did flush with fresh water after every use.
Whatever bumps/bruises exist were incurred during the years the boat was a Donzi dealer "demo"...not my doing.

I've got a guy a local guy that has been pestering me for years to sell him the boat; but I haven't considered selling until recently. The hull is in the registry as "C19H61". I've often wondered if it was a one-off configuration as I've never seen another Hornet with this setup. Any thoughts on what the boat's value may be?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dredgeking
10-28-2006, 07:49 AM
I have no idea on value, but I know I'm interested in it. I bet there are a few other who are also. Sounds like a very nice "old" boat. Was it always in freshwater?

BUIZILLA
10-28-2006, 07:52 AM
:eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

olredalert
10-28-2006, 09:37 AM
bifs19,

-------Thats the same engine combo I ordered in 1972 for my GT21. Man was that thing bullet-proof. Flat out that boat RPMed at about 4500 (60mph) and would run that way all day long. You have what sounds like a great Hornet and I would be interested in it as well. What color is it, by the way???........Bill S

hardcrab
10-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm in Pasadena also, how about a look-see ?
Check your PM's

pmreed
10-28-2006, 11:51 AM
From the registry:)
C19H61 (http://www.donzi.net/hull/C19H61/C19H61-1.jpg)

Phil

Magicallbill
10-28-2006, 12:29 PM
I have no idea on value, but I know I'm interested in it. I bet there are a few other who are also. Sounds like a very nice "old" boat. Was it always in freshwater?

Dredge;
He said it was in Chesapeake Bay& flushed it w/ fresh water after use.

boldts
10-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Now that Donzi is Sweet. Love the candy stripe interior and a 427 to boot! Bifs19, I'm sure you'll have a greater number of people pestering you now that you've mentioned a possibility of sale here on the Registry. Good luck with whatever choice you decide.

Dredgeking
10-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I just showed the Legend to my wife and she liked it. Who wouldn't like it?

f_inscreenname
10-29-2006, 01:02 AM
I live in Glen Burnie and wouldn't mind see it either.

Sagbay32
10-29-2006, 06:23 AM
Fantastic boat!
I have had that pic as a screen saver. You just gotta love that interior.
Mike

mphatc
11-01-2006, 06:23 AM
bifs19,

It's a beautiful boat . and I can see why everyone wants it . .hey, I do to, but I can't afford another old Donzi! and they're all willing to come out and tell you that ..but no one wants to answer your question! :) And I'm not sure I can either!

Likely they're all afraid to raise the price they could steal it at .. .did I say that ? :eek!:

The best way to establish a real price and value, the two are a bit different . .is with a full marine survey. This will also help you to sell an old boat that is in great condition as it can reduce the fear some folks have of buying used and old.

It's been my experience that marketing a classic car or boat, that the best sales price will always come from someone who is not an active member of a group or forum like this. We tend to want things for less . . and the uninitiated or new comer will spend more out of desire . . .

Enthusiasts with knowledge tend to shread a boat or a car apart, find every flaw, any point that is not original, and that tends to drive price down. hey, let's face it we've done that here with a few boats on Ebay that have been "not as presented" . . .

I suggest that if you want to sell a classic and rare boat is to advertise it in a very professional way to a new audience . . creat a website with very nice pictures and lots of them, and some history of what it is . . this will suck in the buyers with real money. Buy ads in places like The Robb Report, bring the item to the eyes of folks with big money. Recognize that very few of these folks shop around.

an example, a friend sold a rare model BMW for more than the original retail, by creating an aura around his car, showing it on the internet in a plastic bubble . .(fwiw a $150.00 investment) . . the car sold for close to 2x it real market value when compared to similar cars sold on forums and common sites to the marque.

On the flip side, I have a customer with a 1963 Split Window Corvette, one owner car, less than 7000 original miles. Full documentation and history, knows the car from the day it rolled off the transporter and sat in the showroom. The dealership owner was a family friend. All documented. He brought the car to a big national Corvette only show, with Corvette concours judges. They decided that the radiator was not original, it had the wrong date tag, along with a few other details. ( Nothing has never been changed) They drove the value down by knocking the car . . and he took the car home and tucked it away, and will now wait 5-10 years to bring it out again . .he can afford to and he knows what he has.

I'll take a poke at the value of your boat . .it's north of $25K maybe close $30K . ..because it is original , a one owner boat, it is very unusual, and it is collectible . . .

So Hornet owners, how far off base am I? Am I too low?

Mario
ready to duck and hide from incoming shells :wink:

rustnrot
11-01-2006, 06:40 AM
mario, I definately agree with your statement that you will get your best price from those "not in the fold". We have time and again sold "restored" Chris Crafts, (always a newer engine-never a rebuild of a 50 year powerplant), not original gauges, not even correct steering wheels and some chrome pieces wrong, etc.). They always go to the highest price to a newbie in the "sport" that take the whole package for what it is, a gleaming piece of mahogany that looks cool, not caring about date codes, etc.

BERTRAM BOY
11-01-2006, 09:48 AM
While I agree mostly what Mario said, I guess we have to look at what is considered the most desirable. A Criterion, an X-18, a bench seat Hornet?

The most I recall anyone paying for a "collectable" Donzi, is probably the high teens. Has anyone seen one actually sell for a higher price?
Sure there are ads on boattrader for rediculously high priced 16's, but do we know if they've actually sold, and if so, for what price.

Remember, This isn't the collector car market.......yet. It's very difficult to know if you have a "numbers matching" boat or not.

I guess if you market yor boat the right way anything is possible, but 25-30K? I've never seen it. If you can get it, more power to you!!!!! That just means my Donzi's a worth more than I thought.

Dredgeking
11-01-2006, 10:09 AM
There are VERY few classic boats that would be considered an investment. You buy them for the love of the sport. They are not a commodity like the classic cars have become. I believe his boat has some real value, but there is no "book" to look at for a price determination. A survey is not a bad idea, but how the hell do they know what a current price is? I think most surveyors are awful anyway. For a while I was tracking ebay sales prices on classic Donzis, but I quit a while ago.

I do like your idea on how to market it to get the best price. I think it takes something like that to set your boat apart.

Craig S
11-01-2006, 01:14 PM
There are VERY few classic boats that would be considered an investment. You buy them for the love of the sport. They are not a commodity like the classic cars have become.

Especially when they hold up so well. they don't rust. They don't rot. Only surplus product and fire sends them to the landfill. They were hand built in the first place, and can be "re-hand built" the next time around, as necessary.

and that is a beautiful boat!

Dredgeking
11-01-2006, 01:23 PM
The pisser is that they do rot and many times a marine surveyor may not catch all the problems in an older boat. So, you end up paying for an opinion and you can get those for free.

If his boat is in sound shape, then I feel it's worth a premium, but I have no idea how you would figure out what price or premium to pay for it.

Craig S
11-01-2006, 01:36 PM
The pisser is that they do rot ...

You are right on all accounts. I meant the "dis-appear" kind of rot. I have a couple boats that, if left in the open long enough, there would be nothing left but the ignition key and the rub rail...

f_inscreenname
11-01-2006, 01:56 PM
I agree with most but the price. Boats are one thing, no matter what that always lose money from the day it was first bought. Not braggin but I have a historical boat. I know all its history (and about the few others that are still around), its in pretty good shape, mostly original and could be put back for a few bucks (everything "new" that has been installed has been from the period it was built), I have built a couple website for it and the history connected to it. Is it worth 25 to 30 grand? It is to me but in reality, I wish.
Time to do some research and find out how much they are going for these days. You don't have to find the same boat on the net. Start with a base price of the brand then model and then add its rarity, age, quality and name (Donzi has a big name) and then go high to see if it will sell. You can always come down but once its sold you cant go up.

hardcrab
11-01-2006, 02:41 PM
mphatc's suggestion is the right way to go.
I had the pleasure to see this boat yesterday, it is truly a piece of art. It is as if you were looking at it 30 yrs ago. The gelcoat has the "new" luster, the windshield is CLEAR, the instrument panel isn't worn or faded........
I only wish ................................ :yes: :yes: :yes:

jl1962
11-01-2006, 04:14 PM
First of all - nice Hornet!
As to what it's worth there are a few interesting sub-threads:

Do we low ball each other? I doubt it. I paid plenty for my old 16 (just kidding Tony, nice MSU comeback against my Wildcats the other week). I feel that when educated buyers find educated sellers, the market is more efficient.

As to value, why is an old Corvette worth as much (or more) than a new one? Why are our old boats worth only a fraction of replacement? Who knows. Possibly our market is less mature. Possibly boomers haven't weighed in yet w/ disposable income. I have been collecting "old" guitars for the past 20 years or so and have learned a few things: Combine scarcity and nostalgia with vintage, golden age, iconic Americana and be patient. To me old Donzis combine visionary styling and timeless appeal. They are just like old Mustangs or Stratocasters.

When will one of our boats breakout in value? To the right buyer, this Hornet is a steal - go find another. And what would Scott Pearson's 18 or Rootsy's Red Mistress bring if they ever decided to part with them?

But don't forget, the bottom line is, we do this because we love our boats. Still it would be nice to see one at Barrett-Jackson one day!
JL

bifs19
11-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I want to thank all those that replied to my post for information on the potential value of my 1973 Hornet. I understand the difficulty in coming up with a figure given all the factors that are involved. I'll give serious consideration to all that was suggested.
Since it was such a nice day today, I decided to bundle her up for the coming winter. Fortunately, "Hardcrab" was in the area yesterday; and was able to see the boat uncovered and take some photos. It was good to have another Donzi owner/restorer see the boat and provide their educated assessment of its condition. He showed me many of pics of the extensive rebuild of his 1966 18' barrel back. Personally, I don't think the Hornet is as perfect as Hardcrab described, as any unrestored 33 yr old boat will show some wear and tear. He must have been wearing rose-colored glasses!
As I have said in replying to several e-mails, I'll weigh all the factors during these coming cold months. If the decision is to sell, it will be in the spring so that it could be demonstrated to any potential buyer.

Thanks again for your time and input.

Dredgeking
11-02-2006, 06:55 AM
It would be nice to see some of the pics.

Lenny
11-02-2006, 08:11 PM
. . and the uninitiated or new comer will spend more out of desire . .

Man, does THAT ever ring a BELL in my head :D

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Thank God, I got over that phase... ;) ... or, did I ?

mphatc
11-02-2006, 08:49 PM
It's my feeling that boats will have their day . . .

Although cars are easier to own, the price level of the average muscle car is going to the moon, and this will draw other items up . .

In conjunction there have been several major antique and vintage boat shows combined with car shows . several have had auctions at the same time by auction houses with notoriety . . .

There is a limited supply to what we have as our passion. Originality does not play as large a part in the value of our boats, Usability and reliability do.

Look at all the retro rods, Mustangs from the 60's with modern engines and electronics, modified suspensions, etc. . You can build these by opening a catalog . . pick the pieces, write the check. Just like this, old boats can become reliable.

As for the Hornet, add an electronic ignition, and a boat that's as well kept as the one we're discussing here becomes a gem. you can't buy this style or perforamnce new anywhere today .

Several friends have suggested I find a 1969 Ford F150 , restore it with contemporary power, paint it to match my 69 Corsican, and bring it Barrett Jackson . . . The one that does that will hit a home run! But I'm not selling my Corsican! . . Our time will come!:crossfing

Mario