PDA

View Full Version : Black Widow Project

ThunderMarineDave
10-27-2006, 03:08 PM
My first foray into Donzi ownership is progressing nicely.

Here are two photos - the first the day I brought it home, and then several days later after many too many hours with the buffing wheel. If you have wondered if your heavily oxidized gelcoat will come back, I can tell you in my case it did. It was shiny after 5 passes, the results shown are after 12-15 passes. Using 7" 100% wool pad, 25% AquaBuff 2000, 75% FastCut 70. After photo was taken, it was finished with Meguirs Premium Marine wax, which improved shine and clarity (which was tough considering how good it looked after buffing...)

The boat had a 460 King Cobra, which was pulled and sold the first day. I have a 2004 496 HO Mercruiser with XR drive, IMCO lower. It should run right along...

-David
THUNDER MARINE

joel3078
10-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey nice boat! I have the same one and she is coming back to like new as I can afford to dump money into it. Chev 454 with OMC King Cobra outdrive. Boat is 1990 and the engine/IO is 1993. Super easy to drive boat, very heavy, very stable. They were built like tanks and last a long time. Look at other posts I have on here and you find pics. Users can't post the same pice more than once on this system.

Cuda
10-27-2006, 04:38 PM
I've always thought the Black Widows were very cool looking boats.

Deb had good results buffing the Minx when I first got it using Aquabuff 1000, then 2000, followed by Meguires.

Cuda
10-27-2006, 04:41 PM
I remember when I first came to donzi net. I had no idea what years what models were made, and I remember seeing a Black Widow just like that, and I thought it was a newer model. They have a styling all their own, imho.

joel3078
10-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Joe your right! The only thing that comes close nowadays is the Stingrays. I tell everyone my boat is a 2003, limited production and Donzi doesn't make them anymore. My boat looks like it's about 3 years old.

Donzigo
10-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Where are you located in St. Pete?

Richard
727-867-7020

ThunderMarineDave
10-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi
I work in the Parts Department at THUNDER MARINE - Bay Pines between Tyrone and Seminole. I live on Madeira Beach - boat is in front of the house.

In response to the threads about cuddy drainage, mine was full of water (yes, round hatches leak if left loose), and I have a drain hole in the floor just inside the door. However, it doesn't appear that this drains to the bilge, as it just filled up with water. I had to put a hose in through the hole and suck the water out, and it still isn't totally dry. I'm close to drilling a 5" hole and installing an access panel in the floor so I can figure out what is really going on...

I am having the interior redone (all white with red piping, red embroidered Donzi logos in stock places), and was thinking about doing a scoop (Harwood type, on engine hatch - would have sun pad made to fit), but it appears that many of you think scoops look tacky or out of place on such a "classic" looking boat (I'm still thinking...)

-David
727-501-3183

ps - Richard, is your boat at Lighthouse Point?

Cuda
10-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi
I work in the Parts Department at THUNDER MARINE - Bay Pines between Tyrone and Seminole.
I am having the interior redone (all white with red piping, red embroidered Donzi logos in stock places), ?

There is a guy who is back in that industrial area behind where you work, who's wife does interior work. She quoted me a great price for my Minx seats, but we move before I had them done.

gpapich
10-28-2006, 12:42 PM
You have such a cool looking boat! I've always liked the Italian yacht style. Anyone know the make of the boat they used in the action flick "Sahara" w/ Matt McConaughey?

I wonder what a total basket case Black Widow would look like with the black hull and dark grey uppers, stainless trim and tan leather?

Also, it's a heavy boat. I wonder how a twin-turboed marinized version of a Chevy Duramax would be as a power plant? Look at what Gale Banks is up to with those engines. The new Ford Powerstrokes with upgraded turbos sound great as well.

Could be a really interesting boat. Possibly more fun than a simple restore.

Am I speaking blasphemy? Let me know you think.

G.

boldts
10-28-2006, 12:58 PM
This is the 24' model correct? We have a gentleman who lives on Lake Cumberland that has the 30' Black Widow Donzi. It is the red color and a beautiful boat. We did the Cumberland Poker Run in it one year and what a breeze. Rode like a Cadillac on a Sunday drive.

Donzi made one when they were introduced for Kyle Petty of Nascar fame. It was Black with Teal trim. My thoughts at the time were oh my gosh, no one will ever be able to walk on that deck in the summer time, but to step back and look at the boat in full view, it was very sleek and cool looking.

Good luck with your restoration. Hope to see more pictures has you continue.

Donzigo
10-29-2006, 06:13 AM
I keep mine behind the house at Maximo Moorings. I did the change of interior you talk about. You are welcome come take a look, if you like.

The pipe at the back of the cuddy cabin simply drains tot he engineroom. Go to the engine room and back flush the pipe up to the front cabin. It's probably filled with carpet & debris.

There are many things in common between the Black Widow & Z-33; so, call me if I can help.