PDA

View Full Version : What is it and why is it there?

DonCig
12-28-2003, 08:14 AM
In the engine compartment of my 18' 97 C there are two removable o-ringed round inspection covers. One on each side of the engine. What is the purpose of these access holes and should they be removed after a day of wet boating in order to let the water evaporate out of the areas? Is there any reason these covers should be left in/attached during normal use. When I removed both covers I found standing water in the enclosed areas even though the boat has been out of the water for two months.

Thanks, Don

http://www.donzi.net/photos/DSCN0745.JPG

RedDog
12-28-2003, 08:34 AM
I have the same access ports in my 22. I think they are to give you access to your front motor mounts? I have the same questions as you though. I had hoped there were drainage holes to allow water to flow to the bilge - I guess not based on your standing water?

Trueser
12-28-2003, 08:54 AM
I found the same thing on our Z29, The water was coming from the cockpit floor drains. The fix is to attach a hose to the floor drains and run them directly into the lower bilge. This will keep the water from running along the outer stringers.

Trueser

McGary911
12-28-2003, 10:03 AM
They're inspection ports. In theory you can peer through them to check hull\stringer integrity. Lots of boats have them. Seems like Trueser has a pretty good idea for eliminating the water. With the history of some of Don's boats, you'd think they were drug smuggling holes, but the reality is a bit less shady wink

DonCig
12-29-2003, 07:14 AM
MadPoodle, thanks for letting me know that they allow for access to the engine mounting bolts to the stringers.
RedDog and I still have the same unanswered question. Should they be removed after a day of wet boating in order to let the water evaporate out of the areas? Is there any reason these covers should be left in/attached during normal use.

Thanks,

Don

Sagbay32
12-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Trivia question: What are drain holes called in a boat??

I'll try "Scuppers" for a thousand Alex

Mike

Morgan's Cloud
12-29-2003, 09:12 AM
I imagine that in the location of which you speak they would be 'Limber holes' !

(you don't think I have a Donzi by accident do you ? ? wink )

Barry Phillips
12-29-2003, 01:31 PM
They are for motor mount access and can be a pain to reintall. I finally figured it out on my 2nd Donzi. Maybe I'm a slow learner.

SO-SLO

DonCig
12-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Not to whine, but why should I put the covers back on the holes?

Don

catch 22
12-30-2003, 03:59 AM
Don, when I was at the Sarasota Rally I talked to Steve Simon and Mark at Donzi about the same problem you have. I get water weather the lids are on or off. Steve had one of the guys from Donzi check into it and they said that there are suppose to be 2 holes on each side of the stringer about an inch and a quarter in diameter to let that water out. Don't know where the water is coming from. Went to the factory on Monday after the Rally and looked at a couple of 22's and a 18 and they all had 2 holes on each side. The reason why there are no holes is that it was overlooked. Hope this helps. Jim :)

Morgan's Cloud
12-30-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks Scott !

I think to save time though I'll just go and have a drink now :D

Now it's back to the cockpit sole re-core... almost finished just need to put final skin of glass down.

Gotta run again ./S

seano
12-30-2003, 12:56 PM
bob...i'll take "limber holes" for two thousand :) :)

Speed-Racer
12-30-2003, 07:05 PM
In the picture you can see the motor mounts in-line with the covers...

If you have standing water all the time, drill a small hole to drain. (We had to do that else were in our 16')Just be sure to put some marine sealer in the hole after you drill.

Or just leave them open when not in use to let the water evaporate, and close them to keep oil and dirt out when in use.