PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts please

SideshowRob
10-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Alright, here's one for you to think about.
A little while ago we were out in the boat, I had the Volvo SS prop on, we went down the lake about 8 miles stopped a talked with some friends, turned around and came home. At the launch, came in slow, put it in reverse once. Bla, bla, bla. Pulled the boat out, and heh, the cone was gone off the prop. I pulled the prop off with no effort at all.
So.... where did it fall off? Is it possible the prop would stay on while we were moving? I don't think so. My buddy threw on his dive gear and looked around the launch... but, there's a pile of millfoil (weeds) there and you can't see anything. I have a big magnet (it will lift the prop) I figure it has to be at the launch. Any thoughts?
If not how hard is it to get a new cone?

And so continues my education as a Donzi newbie.

Morgan's Cloud
10-27-2006, 07:06 AM
I have no idea where your locking cone is , but I'd say your one damn lucky guy :biggrin:

gold-n-rod
10-27-2006, 08:14 AM
I believe Tony has a similar story to relate. Tony???

Carl C
10-27-2006, 09:19 AM
I have a big magnet (it will lift the prop) I was about to ask how a magnet can lift stainless steel but first went out to check and a magnet does indeed stick to a stainless prop. Magnets do not stick to most stainless steel; how is it that they stick to props?

Morgan's Cloud
10-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Props are made of 'cheap' stainles steel.
Only the better grades are non-magnetic.

SideshowRob
10-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Well I guess I had an ultra rare SS Cone :frown:
Left hand by the way.

Ranman
10-27-2006, 12:28 PM
I was about to ask how a magnet can lift stainless steel but first went out to check and a magnet does indeed stick to a stainless prop. Magnets do not stick to most stainless steel; how is it that they stick to props?

Lower grade stainless alloy with a higher iron content. Props, cheap BBQ Grilles, SS car headers are some examples. Only the high grade stuff 304, 316, etc is truly non ferrous / non-magnetic.

hardcrab
10-27-2006, 01:10 PM
it's the quantity of chrome that dictates the quality of stainless steel.

I believe a minimum of 11% chrome puts it into the "stainless" catagory

:superman: :lightning

Carl C
10-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Lower grade stainless alloy with a higher iron content. Props, cheap BBQ Grilles, SS car headers are some examples. Only the high grade stuff 304, 316, etc is truly non ferrous / non-magnetic. And I would've thought a propeller would call for the "good stuff".:eek!: Sideshow, good luck replacing your part.

RedDog
10-27-2006, 01:49 PM
And I would've thought a propeller would call for the "good stuff".:eek!: Sideshow, good luck replacing your part.

I suspect the composition of the SS used in a prop IS good stuff for a prop. The lower chrome level and higher FE content likely makes the steel more ductile, i.e., more likely to bend than fracture on impact.

Ranman
10-27-2006, 04:15 PM
I suspect the composition of the SS used in a prop IS good stuff for a prop. The lower chrome level and higher FE content likely makes the steel more ductile, i.e., more likely to bend than fracture on impact.

My thought process is along the same lines. For some reason I think that the "good" stainless is actually more flexible than that with the higher FE content which would be stiffer/stronger.

Where's Root (resident engineer) to explain this...

f_inscreenname
10-27-2006, 06:22 PM
IMHO the prop would have stayed on when in drive forever without the cone on it. You have to remember the prop pushes the boat. So as long as it was in drive there was no way for it to come off. As for reverse, you got lucky if you could pull the prop off easy when the boat was out of the water. I guess the force of it pushing it against the splines kept it on. Again very lucky.
Now for the prop cone, Like M/P said its aluminum and you can not pick it up with a magnet. Start looking for a new one as it could be anywhere over a 8 mile stretch. :yes:

penbroke
10-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Actually, the prop would have to beat it's way past the exhaust outlet or trim tab (if either was installed) to come off in reverse. :eek!:

Nice cone 'Poodle. :yes: Is that a Volvo part or custom?

Frank

Team Jefe
10-27-2006, 08:03 PM
How about a note from a metallurgist.

200 Series SS - like props, etc is Ferritic Stainless. it is cheap in that is has a lower content of Chromium and Nickel. Being Ferritic it is Magnetic

300 Series - like most, parts you get at the Marine Store is Austinetic. Know as 18-8 SS 18% Chromium 8% nickel minimum. NON-magnetic

400 Series - Knife blades...at least the good knifes. It is Martensitic and is Magnetic (if your SS knife is not magnetic....throw it away)

then there is the Duplex Stainless Steels......

....I guess I lost you a long time ago.:lookaroun

Tony
10-27-2006, 08:52 PM
I was at the far east end of Michigan's Inland Waterway, with my truck and trailer about 60 miles away. After dinner at the Hack-A-Ma-Tack restaurant, I am admiring my boat in the crystal clear waters of the Cheboygan River, when I notice that I have no prop cone!

I believe I lost it about 3 hours prior, when I remember thunking something as I entered Mullett Lake. Apparently, since I rarely used reverse on my old AQ200, the prop held itself on. An old salt searched his garage for about an hour before finding me a 5/8" (or so...) nut that I put on until I could buy another prop cone set. (see below...)

As others have said, drill your shaft and use the locking bolt and red loctite.

:beer:

f_inscreenname
10-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Actually, the prop would have to beat it's way past the exhaust outlet or trim tab (if either was installed) to come off in reverse. :eek!:
Nice cone 'Poodle. :yes: Is that a Volvo part or custom?
Frank

Hell if it didn't just miss all that on the way off (as it can, I don't have to take that stuff off to change props) it would probably would have just broke that stuff off on its way. I had a the zinc ring that is behind the prop come lose. It was gone when I pulled the boat. The prop grabbed it and ripped it off like it was never there. I never herd a thing when it happened.

Forrest
11-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Hay Scott, is the part number stamped on that stainless steel Ultra prop cone? Folks often ask me for the part number of that thing, but I somewhere alone way I lost the match-book cover that I wrote it down on. Who knows, Volvo may still have some NOS of those SS cones.

. . . and FYI folks, that fourth blade was not added using Photoshop on that Ultra prop picture above.:)

penbroke
11-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks Forrest. I was looking for this thread earlier today.

"Poodle: What's the pitch on that thing anyways? How does it run?

Frank

penbroke
11-03-2006, 07:23 AM
24 pitch.. Runs awesome.. :) :)
NOT for sale....

I didn't expect is was. Is that the only one that was made?

Frank :lookaroun
Put me on the list please...

Carl C
11-03-2006, 07:40 AM
(if your SS knife is not magnetic....throw it away)
I tried it on my Ka-Bar U.S. Navy knife; it stuck like glue, then my Buck knife same thing. Then a couple cheapo China knives and it still stuck! OK, back to the cone talk......

gcarter
11-03-2006, 08:02 AM
This may be helpful;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO-PENTA-270-OUTDRIVE-PROP-CONE-LOCKWASHER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26456QQihZ01 4QQitemZ330044280452QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

penbroke
11-03-2006, 08:10 AM
The two piece type are far more versatile. Will work with more types of props...

Frank

penbroke
11-03-2006, 08:12 AM
'Poodle, Is there a Volvo part number on that prop? If so would you care to share? I think I may have found a new quest...

Frank

mrfixxall
11-04-2006, 03:25 PM
'Poodle, Is there a Volvo part number on that prop? If so would you care to share? I think I may have found a new quest...
Frank
frank,i copied the pic and the part # looks to kike 853791-2..sorry poodle also looks to lile somebody may have custom made that propeller...
looks like someone cut two ultra props up and made a four blade out of one..
If you look at the end of the prop by the hub looks to me like someone had welded the ears on.just my openion

penbroke
11-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks mrfixxall. My eyesight ain't what it used to be...

Frank
Let the quest begin...

mrfixxall
11-05-2006, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=penbroke;393444]Thanks mrfixxall. My eyesight ain't what it used to be...
Frank
Let the quest begin...[/QUOT

the part# on the hub of the prop is the same as a 14x24L 3 blade ultra propeller.

penbroke
11-05-2006, 08:54 PM
the part# on the hub of the prop is the same as a 14x24L 3 blade ultra propeller.

Upon further research I see that you are correct sir. Hmmmm.....

Frank :confused:

mrfixxall
11-05-2006, 09:14 PM
im courious also,i would like to have a closer look myself..if poodle were closer to to us i would ask to have a friend of mine that is a engineer for harley davidson x-ray the prop to see if it was casted like that or if somebody made it..yes i agree Hmmmmmmmmm:confused:

TXDONZI
11-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Just for the record I have two Volvo Penta 3 blade props. they are numberd 853791-2 14"x24"LH This I have been using.
853790-4 14"x24"RH New bought for testing.

I take it they are Ultra props?

mrfixxall
11-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, the box it was in was clearly marked with a Volvo P/N and description of a 4 blade.. And the prop was brand new, not used.. Prototype maybe, no idea...

Poodle can you share the part# that was on the box or did it get tossed?
But the hub of that 4 blade ultra still has the same part # of a 14x24L 3 blads ultra.

penbroke
11-06-2006, 07:10 PM
I suppose if it was a one off prototype (some guys said what if??) they might have cut up a couple 3 blades and welded it up to try. If so they would have used an existing hub... If the box had a formal label I would think there might be more of 'em around.

TXDONZI: Those are the old Ultras. They are obsolete and when properly applied will cause your boat to reach excessive speeds.:eek!: They should not be used. Please send them to me for proper disposal. :wink: :wink:

Frank:lookaroun

BigGrizzly
11-06-2006, 08:20 PM
I had borrowed that from Poodle and have inspected it completely and it is NOT a weld on magic trick. besides to nake a four blade out of a three you have to leve only one blade and space the other three. The Prop is the real thing

penbroke
11-07-2006, 07:21 AM
I had borrowed that from Poodle and have inspected it completely and it is NOT a weld on magic trick. besides to nake a four blade out of a three you have to leve only one blade and space the other three. The Prop is the real thing

I was NOT in any way implying that it was not "real". I was trying to figure out if it was a one-off prototype or there might be some more of them hiding in plain sight out there. The fact that the part number on the hub is the same same as the 3 blade makes me think it might be something the Volvo designers cobbled together to test.

Frank