PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Corsican total resto question

RobF
10-24-2006, 08:54 PM
The good folks at Donzi mentioned to come here and pick your brains.

I have a corsican that is currently under full restoration, I feel that some of the deck hardware is not original.

Wondering if anyone had some pictures of the vents and bow light?
Were these just off the shelf parts or were they Donzi specific?

This boat also has what looks like a screw in flag or anchor light in the forward deck as well- is that original?

The original owner of the boat does not remember what was there so any help is much appreciated!

Kirk
10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
RobF
Nice boat....please upload some pictures when you get a chance!
In the upper left corner (of this page) look for menu...than click on boat registry. From that point search for your model. Lots of pictures and other stuff.......
Should you need any restoration hardware look up BertramBoy...he does nice work and is dedicated toward quality. Here is a link to restoration parts:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43554
Welcome to the site....

RobF
10-24-2006, 09:27 PM
thanks, I came across this picture of a vent, wondering if its original or not?
http://www.donzi.net/hull/C-18-407/clamshellvent.jpg

RobF
10-24-2006, 09:35 PM
new stringers and bulkheads are in, new tank is made, going to flip the boat over and blueprint the bottom and paint it.

then mate the hull and deck back together and let the real fun begin!
these are the only pictures I have this evening, wonder if thats the factory oar option?:hyper:

as it was with its funky 2 tone mettalic paint
http://robx-7.nopistons.com/d/656-2/arrive+002.jpg
http://robx-7.nopistons.com/d/662-2/arrive+012.jpg

original tank, have a 44 gallon made and ready to go in
http://robx-7.nopistons.com/d/671-2/arrive+014.jpg

vonkamp
10-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Here's a thread about those vents
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46791

I think a "Donzi paddle" was included when you bought one. Seems I saw a thread about that here some time ago.

NICE boat, keep the pictures coming.

RobF
10-25-2006, 06:08 AM
the vents on there now are these plastic chrome things, there are holes with screws in them from where the original vents probably once fastened to.

I do not recall seeing a HIN#, but I will look closer for one.
Those DONZI vents are real nice, see if I can fit them into the budget.

Rootsy
10-25-2006, 06:57 AM
the vents on there now are these plastic chrome things, there are holes with screws in them from where the original vents probably once fastened to.
I do not recall seeing a HIN#, but I will look closer for one.
Those DONZI vents are real nice, see if I can fit them into the budget.

you can still buy the vents, brand new, without the Donzi cast into them.. but they come unplated rough cast bronze...

or i think bertramboy may have a set of finished, chromed vents he may part with... again, no donzi cast into them...

Lenny
10-25-2006, 08:42 AM
If you want to look at some original Corsican pics, here are a few from a thread I posted a while back.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42662&highlight=Corsican

Yes, it is still here ;)

And, you cannot do a full resto without looking at these pics from Ol'red

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43096&highlight=corsican

RobF
10-25-2006, 01:14 PM
here is a top photo of the new stringers in place, have to take another one with the new 44 gallon tank and the last bulkhead

RobF
10-25-2006, 01:54 PM
did not gelcoat that last compartment as I figure you have to reach up in there after the deck is back down and tab the tub in place to the hull like they did originally, will gel as much as I can after its back together.

Doubled up the stringers in the engine compartment, made a full transverse bulkhead forward of the engine beds instead of the 3 piece one it had before.
Also added 2 additional transverse bulkheads because the original stringers had blown out right before the tank, figured this would hold them together better.
Glassed in wood to the hull and deck flange, looks like they might have used carpet tack wood in there before?
New transom, keeping the volvo drive as there is a spare one, plans call for the 377 stinger engine even though now I see ole'red has the same engine!
Also added glass and some wood to the transom for trim tab mounting and rigging purposes.
Stripped all that mettalic paint off, looks like one coat of laquer primer on top of the gel so it appears to be smooth sailing from here on end.

The fuel tank is kind of just laying there looking crooked increased capacity from the 25 gallon to 44 gallon for those long cruise days.

BigGrizzly
10-25-2006, 05:19 PM
The flag pole socket you described is for the intrenational lighting syaten. the deck light has 2 positiona. Navagation light lites the front bulb(combined with the rear lighton the stern)is the allaround light. the second position the nav lights go out and both thd front bulb and rear bulb light to become the ancor light. My Corsican came with a 351 H&M Ford Clevland with a Volvo out drive. J%K sSabis have a origional 427H&M V drive LBJ boat..

RobF
10-25-2006, 06:09 PM
I have seen some boats where the mount in the front doubles as a flag pole mount, makes a nice place to wave a pennent from.

I knew what it was for, I just did not know if that mount was stock or not
Guess it is, bow light does not look anything special, the one on this boat is long gone so I cant match it up for a new one.
This is a original owner boat, but some of the parts have just wandered away after all these years.

Dredgeking
10-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Rob,

For someone being new to this forum, you nsure fit right in with the hardcore guys here. Thanks for sharing the resto.

mphatc
10-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Rob F,

Welcome!! It's great to have another Corsican onboard! I too own a 1969 Corsican, hull C18 C32. and have been through much of what your are doing right now and have tons of pictures that I haven't posted here. Don't hesitate to ask for images or with questions. I could not have done my boat without the help and support of everyone here!

Your fuel tank, 44 gallons, which of the openings is it going to reside in? I'm presuming the one behind where it is laying in the image?

Please allow me to share some thoughts and experiences as I had to re-do some of my work . . . Please, no offense to your work, or you, but once your deck is on, and it's all together it's very hard to go back . . take this only as unsolicited help, we don't know each other, and the last thing I want to do is turn you off towards anyone here, or me. .

You added some ribs . . .

Starting from the stern, your first set of ribs run up the sides of the hull. And on the old "as taken apart" pictures it looks like these spots were repaired, or these were previously replaced.

From my own experience the lateral ribs can not attach to the hull sides. The sides need to flex with this boat. Likely you'll fracture this spot with hard use. BTDT :bonk: and have had to lower my ribs and end them 3/4" inboard of the chine.

I reassembled my boat as the factory had built it, and "tabbed " the foot box and the cockpit back to the hull. This was done with tabs 3-4 times more robust than as built. They all fractured again!!! It took some extra time to figure how to stiffen the boat to avoid this.

Reinforce the joint from the foot box to the cockpit. For those not familiar with the Corsican, the foot box is a 4 sided box screwed and glassed to the cockpit along the edge below the dash. I added 4 layers of mat and roving here to support the joint. This takes some load off the forward tabs on the sides of the foot box to the hull, but most importantly it eliminated the squeak between the two pieces.

The tabs below the floor to the stringers are right below the two front seats. I had to build two custom blocks to fit between the stringers and the cockpit floor. These tied the floor to the hull and totally changed the ride and feel of the boat. It is now much more solid! This connection also made a difference in how my side ski hatches opened and closed. To get my hatches to open and close w/o binding I used a scissors jack to raise the cockpit from the inside of the hull. It moves very easily!

As built by Donzi in 1969 the deck on this boat was basically a trampoline. Add 4 people to the boat and go run in some real waves, the boat flexes enough so that the tabs break and the ski locker box can contact the hull side.

Your deck hardware . . the white light on the foredeck, anchor light, is a Perko piece. Bill found me an original style mast as I didn't have one.

The bow light is still readily available brand new, as is the white stern light.
Bow Light had the small SS light divider between red and green
https://www.surplusunlimited.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4050&Category_Code=1200-1

Stern Light:
PERKO STERN LIGHT 939dp112v

The handrails along the side, on the ski lockers . . I have not yet found the end fittings anywhere. The pictures of the yellow boat that Lenny posted show the correct pieces.

The ski locker hinges come in plated cast aluminum, or plated brass, buy only the latter. As the boat flexes and runs in rough water the cast aluminum ones will break.
http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/marine_hardware_and_cleats/perko_inc_1/6500653.html

I like what you did with the hull to deck joint!!! Wish I had done that! Most of the joint is accessible when you reassemble, you just need a small willing individual to climb inside :wink: . If I did it again I would place nylock nuts and washers with conventional screws to secure the rub rail.

Have you found your hull number??

Keep up the great work!!! I for one will look for more pictures as you progress.

Mario L.

RobF
10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Mario,
thanks for all that info, I guess in the pictures it would look like the aft transverse bulkhead goes up the hull, I think we are looking at some old repair that was on there, there was ALOT of glass laid on them im guessing in a attempt to make a repair.
Mine end at the hull, but some tabbing might be on there, I will perhaps grind them back a bit as per your information.
The tank is going to sit in its stock location using the stock location fill.
The perko stuff I can get easily locally.
This boat is also missing its original grab rail fittings
The tub scares me, the tabbing on it was already cracked, my guess was this also led to the cracks around the ski storage areas, I was going to try to engineer some bracing in addition to adding more then the 1 piece of woven they had on there originally, fabricating a support under the seat area seems like a good solution, I knew the glass work was not done in that area thats why there is no gelcoat in there yet, less to grind later:shades:
Im hoping to make a frame to support the whole thing.
So far the only number I might be able to make out is 49 in magic marker from behind the dash, but I cannot confirm that just yet.

RobF
10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
I have pics of everything ripped out in my other computer, maybe I will upload them here as well.
None of the stringers or bulkheads were re-used, everything was ripped out.

mphatc
10-26-2006, 06:05 AM
The tank is going to sit in its stock location using the stock location fill.
This boat is also missing its original grab rail fittings
The tub scares me, the tabbing on it was already cracked, my guess was this also led to the cracks around the ski storage areas,
So far the only number I might be able to make out is 49 in magic marker from behind the dash, but I cannot confirm that just yet.
Rob,
Sounds like you have the same issues as I had to deal with, and I haven't solved mine totally yet!
I now also have a 44 gallon tank, but mine is longer and reaches to the center of the small hatch between the seats. This was done to have access to the sensor, and pick up. How is a 44 gallon tank fitting in the forward compartment? Is it taller? On my hull the foot box didn't leave any clearance to speak of for access to the fuel pick up or level sensor service.
Your tabs and tub concerns. Large stress fractures around the windsheild ends to the ski lockers, got those as well,:frown: all the factory tabs were broken, and the flange on the bottom of the cockpit to the foot box had worn a deep gouge into the stringers. There are also some fractures in the foot box floor.
I ended up building a pair of West System laminated marine plywood blocks to fit between the stringers and the cockpit floor right under and a bit in front of the seat bases. These are bonded to the stringers and the bottom of the floor with 3M 1858 2 part Structural adhesive, a super strong epoxy. From above they are fastened with very long SS flat head wood screws through the floor. I also screwed the plywood pieces together during laminating with
SS deck screws. This was when the deck was jacked up to get the alignment of the ski locker hatches correct.
To support the foot box to the top of the stringers in the very front there is now a cross brace from stringer to stringer that the foot box rests on. This stills needs completion.
I have concerns about my deck stress cracks and repairs that need to be done. These are wide . . . and the deck core is foam, possibly the cracks have opened up to the core. I suspect this will be a very involved repair that will wait until I am 100% confident on the structural changes made.
I have another Corsican to restore one of these days for a friend. For his boat we are planning on recasting the hand rail pieces. Might you be interested in a set or shared costs?
This winter we are also building windsheilds for the Corsican, right now in the original green.
I've attached an image of the new tank in my boat. The two notches in the stringers were made by Donzi, the forward one had a large groove from the floor in it, and the stringers going forward from there rubbed into the foot box bottom. It looks as though yours were tapered towards the front. That would have avoided this problem. Maybe the change was made from experiences they had way back then?
The hull number can be highlighted by wetting the fiberglass to make it more transparent with water. I also found a C32 on the block in the bow where the trailer eye is. I have been told by another multi Donzi owner that the number is also on the most forward small bulkhead below where the hoist bracket is mounted. Can anyone confirm this?
Mario
PS you're making me want to take my deck off and make more changes!!! :eek!:

RobF
10-26-2006, 06:13 AM
the tank is taller, but it tapers.
There was already a hole in the tub where you could access the sender and hoses so thats exactly where the new ones are going to be, stock vent and fill locations as well. I elected not to bring the tank aft, but if I did we calculated something like 60 gallons bringing it back 12".

I am going to stare at the tub today and maybe lower it in place and take a good look at what I can do to help this thing in the future.

That bulkhead where the lifting eye was mounted was blown out, but I believe I still have it somewhere, I did wet out the glass but could not really make it out well, im pretty sure I made out the number 49 though, thought I could see c-18 and a 49, but maybe my mind was playing tricks on me.

RobF
10-26-2006, 07:26 AM
only one with the boat partially ripped out
im glad the birds were already out of thier nests

olredalert
10-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Rob,

-----1st of all let me welcome you to the sight as well. It seems you have already found the right playmates. Mario is probably the most knowlegeable about Corsican deck and hull problems. I own # 54 (so far the very last Corsican built) but its pretty low hour and original and I havent done much other than massive amounts of engine work with some half-way decent results.
-----If your boat was truly bought in 1969 then I dont see how it could be serial # 49. Grizzlies boat is a lower # and is a 72, I believe. Keep looking as I think you will probably find a # in the twenties somewhere. Another guy called me the other day and told me he just bought # 26 at an auction in N.J. for pretty cheap money. By his description the boat is halfway decent. So, theres another one. Good luck with your work and dont hesitate to ask us all the tough questions. We will figure it out one way or another........Bill S

RobF
10-26-2006, 10:29 AM
I just looked again, there are no visable numbers anywhere.

Working on the deck support now, seems like a pretty simple fix when the deck is off the boat, should make a night and day difference.

BigGrizzly
10-26-2006, 06:59 PM
My boat is a 1971 and id number 45, I have the title and the origional vin sticker is still there as is the the Od numbers etc I never removed to paint just taped over exactally for this reason.

RobF
10-26-2006, 08:47 PM
I guess the first paint job the boat had there was no thought put into saving the numbers

gcarter
10-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Rob, I don't have a Corsican, but a 86 Minx. But it still had the typical "trampoline/cockpit floor stress cracks/stringer interference issues.
In this thread you'll see my solution;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703&page=1&pp=15
If anything, it's over kill, but I'll never have those issues again. With it I was able to eliminate all the tabs.
If you want more info about its final configuration, just PM me.

RobF
10-26-2006, 09:41 PM
I made some boxes that tie the stringers, hull bottom, and tub together.
Im confident it will work, also a shelf for the footrest portion of the tub.

olredalert
10-26-2006, 09:59 PM
-------So,,,Griz,,,They built 9 Corsicans between 1971 and 1976. Once the X18s were available I guess they garnered alot more attention. New kid on the block syndrome.........Bill S

Kirbyvv
10-27-2006, 07:35 AM
RobF,
where in NY are you located? I'd like to check out this project.

RobF
10-27-2006, 01:28 PM
drive number is PZ NR 2716048B

located in Lindenhurst

olredalert
10-27-2006, 01:53 PM
------An awful lot of DONZIs were sold new around the Lindenhurst area. I worked the NEW YORK Boat Show one year (1971???) with the Chisholms and Roy Farmer and it seemed as though every other person who asked a question was from that vicinity. Soapy Sales came in the booth and I started working on him and John C jumped in for the kill. I also remember Ed McMahon coming in as well. I think he just came in to yack as he already owned a 28. I remember detailing the boats with Lemon Pledge. Weird but it worked.......Bill S

Rootsy
10-27-2006, 02:02 PM
have any "before" picks of the boat?

Tim Morris
10-27-2006, 02:16 PM
------ I remember detailing the boats with Lemon Pledge. Weird but it worked.......Bill S

Exactly, same era, I owned a series of Corvettes etc., and never
waxed a one of 'em. Always 'Lemon Pledge'.

maddad
10-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi RobF, nice looking project. Lindenhurst is a real short boat ride from me. Can't wait to see it in the water and running.

RobF
10-27-2006, 03:44 PM
rootsy- check the thread, there are alot of pictures

this boat has quite a history as to who the original owner is.
It was not sold originally in Lindenhurst, and it just came back up from Florida actually.

RobF
10-27-2006, 06:14 PM
im hoping the shelf up front gives some support to the footrest area, the whole thing is a thin tub anyhow, will add additonal laminates to the tub itself.
The boxes im figuring will support the seating area, once the deck is lowered down I will see how much clearance I have and take care of it at that time and screw or bolt it to the boxes so that the deck can be removed in the future.
I have a plan for the back seat being intergrated into the aft bulkhead as well, but that will be done when its back in place and I iron out those details.
Now got its original yellow showing through in some sanded spots.

RobF
01-23-2007, 04:45 PM
got the deck back on it, tank fit with some cursing, its now just about double the size of the original while still taking up the same footprint.
The supports for the tub are going to work out great, they are right under the seat boxes.
Just going to add another support to the back seat tub to the engine compartment bulkhead.

Wont be long now:boat:

Tony
01-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Those are some interesting dust masks you guys are wearing...:wink:

:beer:

RobF
01-23-2007, 08:32 PM
blue man group!

maddad
03-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Last fall I saw this boat at the yard on Montauk hwy. One of the yard guys said there was going to be a push to get it done. Any updates for us RobF?

RobF
10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
should have the hull painted by next week, not painting the deck until the engine is bolted in

came on here to see if someone was making windshields. I will have my local plastics guy make one for this boat, still have the original to go off.

mphatc
10-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Rob,

I was making these a few years back, don't have any available anymore . . hardest part was finding the 3/16" thick green lexan, -may- have a spare sheet left over / extra. I'll check today and PM you.

After cutting these out on a band saw, the edges were smoothed, be aware that your deck may not not be equal on both sides and is shaped differently. I needed to adjust my shape a bit to get a balanced look to the install. I did not heat it to form it for the install, just fastened from the center to the ends.

Do you have a template?

How have you joined the deck to the hull after the seat pedastal fab and tank install . . ?

603-228-2888

Mario L.

RobF
10-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks Mario, not really wanting the green and if its a matter of cutting to template and bending it on the boat I will have my local guy cut it for me. really wanted a thicker material so Ill see what he thinks about bending a new thicker one instead of using the thinner one. I have the original windshield its in pretty darn good shape.

Deck has been on for a while, owner and myself have been busy with other things which is why the boat has been sitting around so long but I want to get it back to him before the year is up. Hopefully putting the engine and drive in next week or so.

I wanted yellow or red, he wanted blue
I wanted more white, he wanted more blue- he wins :D

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/IMG_0512_zps0f83a8e6.jpg

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/IMG_0511_zps32db1c9e.jpg

Lively-one
10-23-2012, 09:32 PM
So pleased to see this thread re-starting again! Anxious to keep checking in on progress and cannot wait to see the finished project. Love Corsicans and think the dark blue/white combo looks great. Thanks for posting!!

Conquistador_del_mar
10-23-2012, 11:55 PM
I have painted a few boats a dark blue like that, but I have never owned one. I personally think it is one of the best color combinations - at least it always appealed to me. I once owned a red/white Corsican v drive that would scream to 68MPH and then hit the speed wall. I look forward to seeing the restoration progress. Thanks, Bill

mattyboy
10-24-2012, 07:41 AM
very nice I do like the dark blue very classic
thanks for sharing the pics :)

keep us posted on the progress

RobF
11-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Thought I would update this.
A week or so after my last update we got hit with Hurricane Sandy.
This boat was inside safe and sound and while everything around me flooded, including my house, the shop was high and dry. Was very lucky.
Took us 2 weeks for power to be restored and then we got back on this getting to work installing the engine. The engine was not set up for Volvo outdrive so we had to source the parts and wait for them to come in. By time we got the parts it was into 2013 and we were beyond loaded with storm damaged boats ( still fixing them actually )
so the Corsican once again was put on the back burner. We also needed to get a better trailer the one that was under it was not properly balanced and it had negative tongue weight once the engine and transom assembly were installed.

The owners and I decided it has been long enough and we needed to get it done.

We hoisted boat and trailer into the air and loaded onto their private flat bed and its on its way to Florida where it will live out its days. They will send me photos of the rigging and upholstery work. Going for a old school hot rod look interior. Another reason the boat is hand pinstriped.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/IMG_2541_zps074d6dcb.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/rob284/media/IMG_2541_zps074d6dcb.jpg.html)

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/IMG_2552_zps5b7bd62c.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/rob284/media/IMG_2552_zps5b7bd62c.jpg.html)

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/IMG_2569_zpse74b412c.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/rob284/media/IMG_2569_zpse74b412c.jpg.html)

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/IMG_2572_zpsdd3b73fa.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/rob284/media/IMG_2572_zpsdd3b73fa.jpg.html)

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/IMG_2632_zps6b88c972.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/rob284/media/IMG_2632_zps6b88c972.jpg.html)

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/IMG_2633_zps3c34ef00.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/rob284/media/IMG_2633_zps3c34ef00.jpg.html)

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/IMG_2674_zpsb76eb36f.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/rob284/media/IMG_2674_zpsb76eb36f.jpg.html)

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/IMG_2675_zpsd32b5325.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/rob284/media/IMG_2675_zpsd32b5325.jpg.html)

mattyboy
11-08-2013, 08:19 PM
f uc kin AAAAAA bubba OUTSTANDING!!! :yes:

MOP
11-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Beautiful but one problem! It is to shiny to run in day light:shocking: Best of luck with it many will be envious!

olredalert
11-09-2013, 10:29 AM
----Absolutely beautiful!!! Makes me sorry that I sold mine, but my back just wouldnt take the punishment anymore. It went to a great guy up in the Muskokas.......Bill S

Morgan's Cloud
11-09-2013, 02:56 PM
That is off the WOW scale ! Congratulations . someone is going to end up with a gem .

Awlgrip Aristo blue ?

mphatc
11-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Absolutely freaking awesome!
Like Bill, I also miss mine, it also went to a good home.

Keep the pictures coming thank you!

Mario L.

Craig S
11-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Gorgeous!

RobF
11-12-2013, 09:22 PM
That is off the WOW scale ! Congratulations . someone is going to end up with a gem .

Awlgrip Aristo blue ?

All MS600 Imron, deep ocean blue

RobF
04-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Rigging has been underway, boat is in Florida now.
Cant wait to see the interior and get some shots of the dash.

Boat has not been run since the 80's think its going to be all smiles for them getting out on the water again with it

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/rob284/ResizedImage_13982846163692_zps551e0268.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/rob284/media/ResizedImage_13982846163692_zps551e0268.jpg.html)

mario
04-29-2014, 04:08 PM
very nice looks super