PDA

View Full Version : 27ZR Keyless Ignition and Other ?'s

RICPAZ
10-24-2006, 05:33 PM
After almost 3 years I'm finally back in the market for another Donzi. Looking at the 27ZR, hopefully with a 525. I see that it has keyless ignition. I guess you start the engine with a toggle switch? Does Donzi provide you with a key fob that will allow the engine to start once it is within close proximity of the helm, similar to some of the new cars like the new Vette? If not, doesn't that mean anyone can start the boat and steal it??? Just curious how this works?

Also, does anyone know if Donzi has built a 27ZR with a 525 yet? I saw an article in the Nov. issue of Speedboat magazine and they tested a 27ZR w/ 496 Mag HO and it topped out at 70.2 MPH. I thought the top end with this set-up was closer to 75 mph, and the 525 should push it past 80? Maybe Donzi has dialed in the boat since this Speedboat mag test.

RickSE
10-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Key(s) are near the back seat on the ZR's.

boxy
10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
There is a little compartment on the gunwale below the passenger seat on the driver side, there is a key switch, and the battery switches inside it, you turn the key on, which then allows you to use the toggle switches at the helm.

There has been rumors of a 525 being built, but I haven't heard anything "official" yet.
I thought Frank's customer was getting more than 70 out of his new boat, but I could be wrong.

rmagarel
10-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Good question ... i am surprised you couldn't get that from that amazing Donzi website :) ... kidding. The website is absolutely useless ... i did read that they were going to get a new one up ... geez hopefully it will have the 27ZR.

Anyhay, I am hooked up with getting a 525 in a 27ZR. Won't get to see it until Jan. ... can't drop it in the water til the spring (it'll be pretty cold up here in Ontario in Jan. unfortunately).

I dragged the web for any 27ZR info and did a search on the donzi registry ... it was very useful actually.

Good luck....

rm

LKSD
10-25-2006, 09:38 AM
I believe pier 57 has a 525 27' Zr coming in... J :)

RICPAZ
10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I had no idea about that key set-up. Yeah, the new Donzi website is looooong overdue! I thought Frank's customer was getting 73-75 mph, but I think they've experimented with some different props to get there.

rmagarel - Do you have a 27ZR w/ a 525 on order? If so, where'd you buy it from? That's got to be one hell of a set-up. I would think it has to be an 80+ mph boat.

I only live 1/2 hour from the Donzi factory so I'm going to try to set up a visit there in a month or so to tour the factory and hopefully get all my technical questions answered by their engineers and factory people. I don't have a local Donzi dealer any more and I think the closest one is in Fort Myers, but if they are like most dealers (not you Frank!) I doubt they know much about the boats they are selling.

I'm probably going to wait until the Miami show and maybe place my order then (if the price is right!). Definitely want the 525, K-Planes w/ indicators, monster gauges, racing throttles, quick & quiet w/ no mufflers/baffles and lab prop. But I definitely want to wait until Donzi has built some with the 525 first so they can get the right set-up.

I was going to get a 26ZX a few years ago but now I am glad I didn't 'cause these new ZR's are sweet!

rmagarel
10-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Hey Rich,

It is on order ... supposed to be built up for the january boat show up here in toronto in Jan.

Man ... any info. you can drag out of the factory would be awesome ... i ordered the 525 with k-planes.

I didn't see or know about options for the gauges or the throttle :confused: ... love to know what is avail ... when are you visiting? please let us know whatcha think!!

BTW ... where exactly is the factory?? i make it down to florida ... but again that website doesn't have an address ....

rm

rmagarel

jeddski
10-26-2006, 09:28 AM
We have a 27Zr with the 496 HO and it runs 70mph for now.
It was ordered with:
K-Planes w/ indicators
monster gauges
racing throttles
quick & quiet w/ no mufflers

We still need to play around with the prop, but are thinking that the right prop will get us to 73-74 and then a set of CMI's should push it to 77-78.

And possibly over the winter we are thinking of a little extra work... that would get into some very interesting speeds....:wink:

Overall it is an incredible boat and we have been very happy with it. Last time I checked we had about 80hrs on the clock, and we didnt spash the boat until mid July!

RICPAZ
10-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Keep us posted on your upgrades and what speeds you get.

RM - What graphics package did you get? The factory is in Sarasota, about 40 minutes south of Tampa. I didn't set up a visit yet, probably in the next few months sometime.

Patrik Sweden
10-29-2006, 03:28 AM
I bought this one in Sweden... very coool!

rmagarel
10-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Rich,

I got the solid blue hull. Hoping she looks nice!

i'll have to make it down some time to visit Donzi next time i am in tampa.

rm

RICPAZ
10-30-2006, 05:07 PM
The solid blue hull is nice. Very classy! I'm still undecided on either the solid blue or the standard red/white/black graphics.