PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a Donzi for winter storage???

mphatc
10-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Friends,

thoughts and advice please

I have the capability to store my Donzi the by hanging it in my workshop where I have a high ceiling . .
This is easily done as the roof structural beams are perfectly spaced for my lifting eyes . . This is an 18' Corsican

My concern is if the boat is truthfully designed to hang from 2 points for 5 months? The transom is new 2 years ago, the fasteners here are all new, but the forward eyelet and bracket are original. The drive will be removed during storage.

What about the fuel tank? Shall I fill it or empty it? The later is my choice as I really don't like 44 gallons of fuel in a vented tank in the building. If it's empty what do I do to the inside of the tank?

Or should I use 4 hoists and hang it with straps / slings . . which signifigantly raises , umm, increases the cost?

Thank you!
Mario L.

MOP
10-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Mario I think the eyes will be fine, there are so many boats not just Donzi's that hang all year long on just two points. I agree with the empty tank, I will be draining as much as possible and dumping a mix of Sta Bil & Star Tron also taping the vents.

Phil

p729lws
10-23-2006, 10:30 PM
My '86 22 Classic hangs from the eye's all summer long. Just came off the lift for the winter today as a mater of fact. Don't see why yours can't hang for winter.:cool!:

Dan

mphatc
10-24-2006, 04:48 AM
Thanks Guys,

"Hang it" it is!

MT tank, hey I can burn that 40 gallons of ethanol rich stuff in the truck!:)

Poodle, I'm not so sure about the decoration factor, now I get to look at the bottom everyday and see all the scratches from 37 years of use, occasional beachings, etc. That's going to drive me nuts:yes: . . . I think it's me that jealous of you . . 1 Donzi or a Dozen Donzis . . . :wink:

Mario

olredalert
10-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Mario,,, I hesitate to ask as it may have been me who dropped the ball, but whats going on with the Corsican windshields??? Did I screw up and not get back to you??? Anything is possible with me but I hope I didnt mess up too bad.
A guy called me the other day that had just bought # 27 or 28 out of an auction down in New Jersey. Paid very cheap money for it. I told him how to get hold of you as he definetly needed a windshield. I have contact #s here somewhere in the mess I refer to as my desk if he didnt reach you!!!
You might think about a supplementary sling under your boat as well if it would give you more piece of mind. It would if I was hanging mine. Hope all is well in N.H..........Bill S

Formula Jr
10-24-2006, 01:21 PM
I only have one concern for people that hang their donzis. And this is, how do you know if at some point in the boat's long history some one didn't mess with the lifting rings? I would at least want to know if the eyes are fully threaded on to the down rods.

BigGrizzly
10-24-2006, 05:43 PM
I may need a new windshield for mine let me know a price

mphatc
10-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Formula Jr,
Very valid point! Fortunately I know mine are solid. I replaced the threaded rod with SS and made sure everything was fully threaded! And I will follow Bill's advice of safety slings.

Bill,

Yes you dropped the ball . . :) . . but not to worry.:wink: This project will take place this winter, but I'm not going to do it. I have found someone experienced in lexan forming . . .so the price goes to : "Whatever it will cost".
I have enough green lexan for 6 windshields . . . .

BigGrizzly,
Do you want green? or another color?

presently the windshield count is:
2 for me ( I want a spare)
1 for the green boat I bought out of NY and sold to a good friend
1 for Bill
1 for Big Grizzly . .

I will post again on this as I get closer to getting these done!

Mario L.

Pismo
10-25-2006, 06:26 AM
I only have one concern for people that hang their donzis. And this is, how do you know if at some point in the boat's long history some one didn't mess with the lifting rings? I would at least want to know if the eyes are fully threaded on to the down rods.

On the contrary, if you have a newer big block 22 then the lifting eyes need to be messed with. The rear bracket is not adequate and must be replaced. 16s and 18s seem to do fine though.

See

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41471