PDA

View Full Version : How about a "Name the Baby" Contest!

2biguns
10-20-2006, 03:43 PM
We're expecting Stella to have a baby sister come mid January and Amy's is ticked that I keep referring to my next child as "it." We need us a name.
Naming Stella was easiest thing in the world as she was named after my maternal grandmother who was South Alabama's answer to Mother Theresa.
Now we're stuck. Choices include:
Mattie (Mattie was my grandmother, Stella's, sister)
Cora (old name)
Maggie (Stella's preschool teacher's first name is Margaret and she was called Maggie when she was little. Ms. Ham has programmed Stella to name her baby sister Maggie.
Savannah (So we can continue with SCS as initials--Stella's middle name is Catherine and mine is Cooper and a good old name)
Shelby (who knows)
Middle name will be Cooper.
Cast your votes. Winner gets a beer:party: :party:

gcarter
10-20-2006, 03:54 PM
First off, you probably DON'T want this crew to name your second born.......
But after that, I once dated a girl named Maggie (Mary Margaret), but she was known to her friends as "Maggie Moo"!!:eek!: :eek!:
With that bit of knowledge, I personally would never name someone Maggie.

vonkamp
10-20-2006, 04:48 PM
One of my Golden Retreivers is named Maggie but I'm sure she thinks her name is "QUIT LICKING ME!!":bonk: :bonk:

I like Cora. :)

2biguns
10-20-2006, 05:41 PM
First off, you probably DON'T want this crew to name your second born.......

I thought about that but Stella already thinks her nickname is "Get me another beer" so sorry guys but that one's already taken.

gold-n-rod
10-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Mattie gets my vote.

Fast forward 15 years: "Hey guys, grab the rest of the beer. Stella and Mattie are here and they've got their old man's boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :bonk:

BigGrizzly
10-20-2006, 07:06 PM
I like Savana, not because I live in Georgia but because I saw the ss Savana launched , the first neuc power cargo ship. She was small sleek and fast. The last time i saw here was several years ago, she was old tattered and torn but she still lookes good to me.

hardcrab
10-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Donsie ............ if it's a girl
Donzee ........... if it's a boy

p729lws
10-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Last time I checked, Stella's sister is Blanche...
AKA Vivien Leigh, who aslo played Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind

All good names:)

Carl C
10-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Savannah. Some of the others are a little out-dated. The only drawback is there's no short version.

maddad
10-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Madeline, Catherine, Emily and Judy are some favorites of mine.
:)

boxy
10-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Steve, my wife and I had a short list of names ready for the birth of both of our daughters.
When our first baby was born we had a list of 10 girls and 10 boys names, Hannah was born at 11:45 PM, we didn't name her right away, but we both decided she was Hannah overnight. Her name has suited her from Day 1.
When Lou was pregnant with our second child we knew it was going to be a girl, and we had it narrowed down to 3 or 4 names before she was born. We decided she was Alicia shortly after she was born.
Stella is a great name, and the other names you posted sound great too, mainly because they all have meaning to you and your wife.
Have fun, we've had a great time so far with our to little girls .... :D

Team Jefe
10-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Dammit Boxma - I was prepping to go "smart ass" on the TIDE boy and you had to go and get all serious on me:smash: .....

OK Fine....So serious it is, let's look at what we have

Mattie - Not bad, Very typical from "back in the day" take a boy's name and add "ie". I had an Aunt named Johnnie

Cora - Old, true but I still like it...the drawback for me is the "a" at the end and its short....Stella and Cora...the tongue has to work hard and mom's like easy names when they holler at their kids......Not that these two lovely girls will ever need yelling at, its more a hypothetical thing:lookaroun.....of course I do like Cora Cooper....aliteration is my favorite part of the English language.

Maggie - all the love for George, BUT I LOVE MAGGIE....especially as a diminutive form of Margaret. The only Dog I, myself, and nobody else ever owned was an AKC Dalmatian: Jefe's Flamin' Margarita.....but she was my sweet girl Maggie. Ok that's two dogs named maggie, plus Margaret is not so cool these days.

Shelby - Nice as well, contemporary...I have nothing bad to say to that

Savannah - SCS, I'm with you. Your middle name, yes yes. A a beautiful name for sure. Plus, who says there is no diminutive form

Van - OK so that's a movie star name
Vanna - wheel of fortune will be long gone before she grows up....maybe
Savie - I know it sounds wierd, and she will HATE it when she's 12....but around about 20, she'll come home on a weekend when the CRIMSON TIDE are away, during a commercial in the game, maybe at the table getting more food, she'll say...."Dad, how come you never call me Savie anymore?":yes:

....Um, yes Savannah has an "a" at the end as well...but its longer

Stella....Savannah, git your little as.......Hypothetically of course.:wink:

OH, and that stuff that Randy said...you better just get ready early....becasue these are YOUR GIRLS.

Good luck with the naming amigo.....all of you are in our prayers.

2biguns
10-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Oh great Capitano, no need to go smart ass on me this year. Rather than looking to our formerly great football prowess, I have now chosen to pull for an even in which I am CERTAIN we can win. In my informal and totally unsanctioned and totally imaginary top ten poll, my beloved Tide ranks #1 in the "our coach and his wife are hotter than your coach and his wife."
Amy swoons over coach Mike and I must say that his wife, Shari, is quite the hottie as well. Just for proof, check out this link:
http://deepsouthsports.blogspot.com/2006/08/behind-every-good-coach-is-great-woman.html
But back to the matter at hand, due in no small part to that wonderful dissertation you have so skillfully penned, Savannah Cooper Smith is now at the top of the list. Will keep you all informed of any changes.
As for the coming home from UofA on away weekends, I've already reserved a spot in the local monastary for both girls, who will be under lock and key until their 25th birthday. I'll not be trusting those hounds out there with MY daughters:bonk:
Bless you all and Roll Tide. If we can't beat the Jr. Varsity (or whoever is left on the team after the suspensions) from Florida Atlantic, I"ll pack it in until basketball season!

gcarter
10-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Maggie - all the love for George, BUT I LOVE MAGGIE....especially as a diminutive form of Margaret. The only Dog I, myself, and nobody else ever owned was an AKC Dalmatian: Jefe's Flamin' Margarita.....but she was my sweet girl Maggie. Ok that's two dogs named maggie, plus Margaret is not so cool these days.
After looking back on the replies, first, I feel a need to apologize for making the reply I did assuming you (Steve) were "asking" for it coming to this forum of jaundiced old farts for suggestions to name your second daughter.
That's an overwhelming honor none of us really derserve.
But you have all impressed me.
Your sincerity has amazed me, particularly the number of pet names that have shown up!
I personally like Maggie, as El Jefe Capitano pointed out is a diminutive form of Margaret, but as my experience as a young man showed, it can be "massaged" into something no ones daughter really deserves: Maggie Moo!!
I'll never hear the name Maggie again with out thinking of a cow!!!!
I digress.
On a trip to South America many years ago, I met a family who's second daughter had the name of Giavanna. I love that name. It's the Hispanic (and probably Italian too) form of Jo Ann. Not that Jo Ann does that much for me...I was once engaged for a short time to a girl name Jo Ann.
But there was something magic about the name "Giavanna"....pronounced properly, it comes out of the mouth something like...Zhavanna"....it's just beautiful!
Unfortunatly, it doesn't fit your scheme of initials.
Oh well...
Good luck!

Team Jefe
10-30-2006, 06:40 AM
Steve - glad I could help. I will most likely never have any kids of my own, so helping name others kids is kinda fun.

That SEC wife thing is amazing. I need to check on the Big 12...but I'm thinking more "Cornfed" :bonk:

GC - glad you came around buddy...I was starting to think you had taken that Jaundiced Old Fart act a little too far:wink:

TOPSY II
11-11-2006, 08:27 AM
All: You guys are all "around the bend"...but in a good way, Congrats on the upcoming addition Steve. I just became a Grandfather for the first time...Norah Marie, weighted in a 7lb.10oz...but the funny part is my son and daughter in law couldn't settle on a name right off., When my wife asked, they said "we're gonna name her Tomorrow"...my wife thought that was a "little odd", but then thought it was kinda pretty. SOOO..My granddaughter already has a nickname "TOMORROW".
I'd cast my vote for EMMA, kind of a throw back, but pretty.
Polish the guns Steve, in about 15 years you'll have a house full of young men that you'll have to keep in check!!!
GOOD LUCK and Congrats again.
Pete ( TopsyII)