PDA

View Full Version : New diesel fuel in old truck ?????

2biguns
10-18-2006, 08:32 AM
I drive a '99 PSD that has around 88,000 miles and it's one of the few things I own that's actually paid for. Rather than spring for a new one (with a new payment), we also bought a '97 Jeep Wragler 4 spd 4 cylinder for play--10 gallon tank and I only fill up once/month or so.

Is the new low sulfer diesel going to cause me any problems? Are there any modifications/precautions I need to take?

I love my truck and refuse to pay $45,000 plus for a new one unless I just have to.

Team Jefe
10-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Steve - everything I can find says the new fuel will work fine with older trucks....actually most press on it ssays it will work even better.

FOSTER
10-18-2006, 05:06 PM
If you are concerned about it add something like " power service " diesel fuel treatment when you fuel up. It should add some more lubrication to your engine.

mrfixxall
10-18-2006, 07:38 PM
I drive a '99 PSD that has around 88,000 miles and it's one of the few things I own that's actually paid for. Rather than spring for a new one (with a new payment), we also bought a '97 Jeep Wragler 4 spd 4 cylinder for play--10 gallon tank and I only fill up once/month or so.
Is the new low sulfer diesel going to cause me any problems? Are there any modifications/precautions I need to take?
I love my truck and refuse to pay $45,000 plus for a new one unless I just have to.

the ultra low sulfer fuel wiil work in 1993 to 2006.....the ultra low sulfer fuel has to be used in the 2007 models,if you use a high sulfer fuel it will screw up the emmissions and will cause engine dammage..theres also a rumor that theirs not enuff lubercation in the new fuel and a sdditive will be added for 1993 and older vehicles..

LKSD
10-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Speaking of new diesels & the new diesel fuel, has anyone heard or does anyone have any gossip on the new upcoming Gm Duramax stuff in the new body HD trucks?? J

Team Jefe
10-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Gm Duramax ?????????

Fianlly, Something Poodle and I can agree on :lookaroun

LKSD
10-20-2006, 08:44 AM
?????????
Fianlly, Something Poodle and I can agree on :lookaroun

Ok, Isuzu Duramax in the GM hd trucks... I have an 05 Duramax now & saw a pic of the new body a while back for the hd diesels.. I was hoping to find out some more info on them.. :) J

BUIZILLA
10-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Power Services make a good product,as does Stanadyne, both are diesel fuel ENHANCERS. Whatever you choose, be damn sure you buy something, we are in uncharted waters, of unprecented territory..

JH

Hotspare
10-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Talked with Cummins ....... Don't use the new ultra low if your engine has not been retrofitted for it ......... Can cause dammage and corrosion to some engine parts .......... He seemed to imply that the old fuel should still be avaliable for older engines .......... Said the the pump should have a sticker indicating ultra low ....... I was under the impresson all new fuel produced would be ultra low ............. Anyone else hearing this ??????

BUIZILLA
10-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Effective with the end of this month, you will only be buying ULSD fuel for on highway use nationwide. The sticker is fixated for not using LSD fuel in new '07 spec engines. I have not heard of any retrofit items, whatsoever, and believe me, I would have heard by now... I think your source is flawed on that comment..
JH

Craig S
10-23-2006, 11:56 AM
... I think your source is flawed on that comment..
JH

As an owner of an "06 Cummins, I certainly hope so!

Hotspare
10-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Yea, sounds like nobody's really stepping up to the plate on this one yet ......... One report I read simply indicates that 06 and older engines would not see the same lower emmisions enjoyed by the newer, Quote (retrofitted) engines would see .............. Nobody wants to report or elaborate on the loss of lubrication yet ......... The only thing we really know is that the sulfur is gone and the lack of lubrication, there of .......... Biodiesel I see is stepping a bit, saying there fuel has the much needed lubrication, via: (soybean) that UL is devoid of ............... Havent heard of any retrofit for older engines either, I guess their just doomed ......... :yes:

Hotspare
10-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Yea, sounds like nobody's really stepping up to the plate on this one yet ......... One report I read simply indicates that 06 and older engines would not see the same lower emmisions enjoyed by the newer, Quote (retrofitted) engines would see .............. Nobody wants to report or elaborate on the loss of lubrication yet ......... The only thing we really know is that the sulfur is gone and the lack of lubrication, there of .......... Biodiesel I see is stepping a bit, saying there fuel has the much needed lubrication, via: (soybean) that UL is devoid of ............... Havent heard of any retrofit for older engines either, I guess their just doomed ......... :yes:

FOSTER
10-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Good luck finding "old diesel" at least in new england, all the fuel I haul for Irving is ULSD. Don't believe old stuff is even avalable. Off highway fuel is just dyed red so same thing.