PDA

View Full Version : A little help….please...

dr
10-17-2006, 07:04 PM
I need a little help regarding the least expensive way to ship personal items from the US to orphanages in Romania…..I’ll try to make a long story short….my wife volunteers for medical/religious missions on occasion and recently went to Romania…and had her heart broken…again.

Anyway she came back and she and a few friends put together personal items for the children, IE shoes, clothes, small toys and books…..

This is just a few private individuals, not a government or other organization…

The problem is the cost to ship them is 3 to 10 times the costs of the goods….

Does anyone know of a way to ship these items at a reasonable costs…time is not important…the town in Romania is Toluca…I’ve tried several carriers, speaking to my congressman’s office and so far the best arrangement is the USPS surface rate but that’s still expensive…

Does anyone know of a way, organization, agency, ect to ship these at a reasonable costs? Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
David

gcarter
10-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Have you thought about having someone/some organization buy the items in, say, Italy?
The distance would be a lot less.

Ed Donnelly
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
dr; How many lbs are we talking about???
My good friend George(Romanian) is having his Mother,Aunt, and a couple of nieces visiting next month.. My wife and I give them childrens clothes,toys,toothbrushes,etc. and they take them to the local orphanage..
When I talk to him Wed. I will find out how he ships the big donations he gets..........Ed

Schnook
10-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Try calling the airlines and explain the situation, they might donate space. Or if there's an military airbase nearby, try to get a contact in the unit. They may be able to 'find' extra room for the right reasons.