PDA

View Full Version : ISS and Atlantis transit the sun

pmreed
10-16-2006, 08:32 PM
At the end of the last shuttle mission when Atlantis undocked from the ISS, a Brit astronomer took this pic (http://www.astrosurf.com/legault/iss_atlantis_transit.html). It's killer!!

Phil

mikev
10-17-2006, 11:26 AM
that is cool i have not seen that one. amateur astronomy is my other hobby a little cheaper than boating but not much if i could have the toys in want for that hobby too.:wink:

Last Tango
10-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Awesome, Phil!! Thanks for posting that!

Team Jefe
10-18-2006, 04:01 PM
NICE ! Phil thanks !

Carl C
10-18-2006, 04:23 PM
that is cool i have not seen that one. amateur astronomy is my other hobby a little cheaper than boating but not much if i could have the toys in want for that hobby too.:wink: It's my hobby too. Here's my Celestron 11" GPS Nexstar with bino-viewer. This thing's a lot of work to set up and I think my next 'scope will be a high quality refractor.

wrussellw
10-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Holy crap Carl, I thought mine was BIG. :eek!:
Got a CPC 800 GPS(XLT) .
Definitely a pain to move around and setup.
Been trying to get some good pictures of mars for quite awhile with limited success.
What refractors you looking at? If you every decide to upgrade give me a shoot.

Carl C
10-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Holy crap Carl, I thought mine was BIG. :eek!:
Got a CPC 800 GPS(XLT) .
Definitely a pain to move around and setup.
Been trying to get some good pictures of mars for quite awhile with limited success.
What refractors you looking at? If you every decide to upgrade give me a shoot. I'm not looking for another telescope now since I've got a lot of $ invested in my present one. Eventually I'd like to add a good refractor that would be easier to set up. My scope can find all of the "faint fuzzies" but I mainly look at the planets and brighter objects and think a refractor would have been a better choice. They are also better for viewing the sun with an H-Alpha filter. The transit pics on this thread were not taken with an H-Alpha filter but a cheaper light blocking filter.

mikev
10-20-2006, 11:09 AM
i have a Meade 10" dobsonian telescope and love it for the ease of setup. just drop it down and go. cant do much imaging with it but best bang for the buck scope when it comes to aperture, and as they say in astronomy circles the 3 most important things when buying a telescope are aperture, aperture, and aperture. wish i could afford one with tracking to do some astrophotograpy looking into adding it to my scope now.