PDA

View Full Version : Factory Diesel 1999 Classic 16--Claimed 14 mpg!

rustnrot
10-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Folks, this is interesting and sure to elicit alot of comments.....

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/3/1606033.htm

Magicallbill
10-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Boat itself looks absolutely fab...

I can only speak for myself, but I have to wonder why anyone would worry or care about a Donzi sport/performance boat that gets 14 MPG and goes 46,or whatever MPH top speed.
Seems to me what matters is the fun factor and the thrills/speed.

I never boat to save money.

MOP
10-15-2006, 09:32 PM
99&44% of us including me have no thoughts of a setup like this, but as a tender on a yacht it does make good of sense. I read about a conversion like this several years back, the owner was super pleased with the boat. He reported similar speed and over 300 mile range compared to maybe 90 on a gas version, he could fuel it from his own yacht when needed.

boxy
10-15-2006, 10:08 PM
I remember a Powerboat article about a Donzi/Yanmar diesel build a few years ago. I wonder if this is the boat.
Phil's right, it would make a great tender.....

Mr X
10-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Boat itself looks absolutely fab...
I can only speak for myself, but I have to wonder why anyone would worry or care about a Donzi sport/performance boat that gets 14 MPG and goes 46,or whatever MPH top speed.
Seems to me what matters is the fun factor and the thrills/speed.
I never boat to save money.

In Europe, gasoline on the water is hard to come by. Diesel is much easier to find. Also the tender thing is right on the money, many insurance compaies will NOT insure a large ocean going yacht that has ANY gasoline abord.
Thats why the little Mercedes diesel cars are carried on the larger yachts as well.

Lenny
10-16-2006, 08:46 AM
14 mpg. Kind of nice tho, considering it uses 5 times less fuel than I do. :(

Dredgeking
10-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Is this boat a Yanmar setup?

gold-n-rod
10-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Is this boat a Yanmar setup? If it's the Boat Trader On-line boat, there's a Yanmar sticker on the side of the boat, ahead of the Donzi emblem.

gold-n-rod
10-16-2006, 05:26 PM
I'd have to side with Bill on this one. If a tender is what I need and I can't carry gasoline on board, there are plenty of choices. Bastardizing a 16 for this purpose is just wrong. [Please don't jump my ass with "a seller's ad is sacred," this is posted elsewhere and linked for the express purpose of discussion]. What if someone found a Corvette that GM installed a 4 cylinder Ecotech for the purpose of gaining maximum mpg? Would you want it? Maybe for the rarity if it was a factory job, but not to enjoy. If my 16 only went 46 mph, I'd shoot myself.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!

wrussellw
10-16-2006, 06:31 PM
A client of mine is a US Yanmar distributor. Says the boat is for real.
Probaly were built as yacht tenders, didn't have to carry any gasoline onboard. Definitely under powered though.
He has several older Bertrams that have been re-powered with Yanmar diesel that perform great.
Yanmar also produced a line of diesel outboards for the same reason. He said they put them on Whalers for yacht tenders and commercial applications.

Mr X
10-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Guess its all in the eye of the beholder. If the DONZI factory made it (which they did and I drove it) then it technically is NOT a bastard. They made 5 of the 16 diesels.
They also made a 38ZX with twin Yanmar diesels, I drove that one too. It ran great!
There is also a 22 Classic with a Yanmar Diesel, drove that one too, it runs over 80 MPH on GPS. That one had a little help
with an X-factor though.

Emmo
10-16-2006, 10:45 PM
I remember seeing the Blackhawk that Dick Mastry (http://www.mastry.com/) brought to the big party we had at the Portofino. It had a Yanmar. The talk around that boat was that it would truly fly, but it did not sound right.

ATLDONZI
10-16-2006, 11:05 PM
lol, you mentioned the mastry's i grew up in st petersburg, and my father who owns EMBREE MARINE does a lot of repower business with them, also we have known the masty clan since they are family friends, richard is a nice guy, and his brothers who own the bait shop "Mastry's bait and tackle" are some of the gulf coast's most knoledgable fisherman...( learned a ton from them) we did a drambuie race boat with twin yanmar diesles that set a record to the keys years ago from st pete..

Mr X
10-17-2006, 09:02 PM
By the way, this is what an "X-Factor" is. :eek!:

The Hedgehog
10-17-2006, 09:27 PM
By the way, this is what an "X-Factor" is. :eek!:

So how is that coming anyway? I think that you guys have a cool idea! I have not run the shorty on my 27 yet but I think that I am giving up some mph.

FUELPOWERED
10-17-2006, 10:59 PM
That is one neat boat. The top speed may be off a little, but I bet with some mods, it would run as fast as a gasoline powered v-8. A little off the subject but for everyone's information, there is some pro stock diesel powered dodge pickup that has made a 1/4 mi. pass in the 9's@144 mph with the motor shut down at half track. I hope they can dial it in, get it classed in pro stock, and smoke their gas powered counterparts.

gcarter
09-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Here's the 300 HP Yanmar outdrive PDF from the Mastry site.
Burns about 19 GPH @ WOT.

BUIZILLA
09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
That is one neat boat. The top speed may be off a little, but I bet with some mods, it would run as fast as a gasoline powered v-8. A little off the subject but for everyone's information, there is some pro stock diesel powered dodge pickup that has made a 1/4 mi. pass in the 9's@144 mph with the motor shut down at half track. I hope they can dial it in, get it classed in pro stock, and smoke their gas powered counterparts. is it a gray Dodge? that's a friend/customer right behind me, he's in my shop virtually every day.... it's gone 9.28 so far....