PDA

View Full Version : Takes all kinds

wrussellw
10-15-2006, 08:49 AM
I was at the local boat launch last Saturday. Three launches side by side. a little narrow. I was driving my brother-in-law's boat on his trailer when I heard a couple agruing. Guy in the boat, wife trying to back the boat down. The husband was telling his wife everything she was doing wrong. When I got closer I noticed he obviously still had his boat strapped to the trailer. He was so concerned about yelling at his wife that be failed to notice that his stern was below the water level. Once I pointed this out he started yelling at his wife to "floor it!!" Only problem she had the driver's side door open trying to see the boat AND still had it in reverse. Bent the car door all the back to the front fender, sent her husband face down and put the whole mess into the river.
I walked back to my house got my truck and pulled them out. Was kinda fun watching the car door reverse itself not very gracefully.
The whole time he was telling me he couldn't believe how dumb his wife was. I doubt the idiot knew how to back up a boat himself.

vonkamp
10-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Boat, trailer, & truck. Man that sucks. Many years ago I bought and restored a wooden boat. A 1959 Grady White Mahogany lapstrake and when it came time to splash it, I did not back the boat far enough in the water. As it was rolling off the trailer, the boat slid off the main rollers and a side roller punched a hole the size of a softball in the side. Of course I had an audience cause it was a nice looking boat. That was embarrassing and I had no one to yell at:bonk: :bonk: .

yeller
10-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Too funny!! :rlol: :rlol:
Feel sorry for the wife, though, not really her fault. Sounds like the husband made her panic.

Cuda
10-15-2006, 12:12 PM
My brother, who is less patient than I am, was backing his boat down the ramp, told his wife to let him know when it was floating. He had a van and couldn't see the boat. He kept back and asking her if it was off yet, She kept telling him no, so he kept backing. When the water came over the transom, she said she thought something was wrong. Yep, the strap still over the boat. If you know my brother, you can damn sure bet it was his wife's fault!

BUIZILLA
10-15-2006, 12:33 PM
My brother, who is less patient than I am, Joe, is his name Barra?

JH

sorry, had to say it :wink:

Cuda
10-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Believe it or not, his name is Joe also. He has a different middle name. He's actually my half brother, both of us were named after my dad's dad. He didn't live with us until he was a junior in high school.

wrussellw
10-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Was very tempted to take a few pictures with my cellphone, but things got a little tense, decided I didnt want to add to the unpleasant situation.

Magicallbill
10-15-2006, 01:38 PM
I'll bet EVERY guy/gal on this site has a launch ramp story either of themselves or someone else.
There's no better place to have a Video Cam on a Sat. afternoon...

wrussellw
10-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Yes I have always thought a couple of lawn chairs and some cold beverages at any boat launch anywhere on any given weekend is good for a least a couple laughs.

BUIZILLA
10-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Yes I have always thought a couple of lawn chairs and some cold beverages at any boat launch anywhere on any given weekend is good for a least a couple laughs.last weekend at BlackPoint, there were a least 80 people and 40-50 lawnchairs, including tarps, tents, and blankets, for the weekly Ramp Show. They also had the breathalyzer bus, paddy wagon, ambulance, fire truck, and no less than 15 uniformed police patroling the area.. they even had a 1-10 score card group of 5 peep's setup to grade the ramp activities... it was pretty humorous

JH

gcarter
10-15-2006, 08:00 PM
last weekend at BlackPoint, there were a least 80 people and 40-50 lawnchairs, including tarps, tents, and blankets, for the weekly Ramp Show. They also had the breathalyzer bus, paddy wagon, ambulance, fire truck, and no less than 15 uniformed police patroling the area.. they even had a 1-10 score card group of 5 peep's setup to grade the ramp activities... it was pretty humorous
JH
Was the tide out?
That would always have to make it more entertaining!:)

p729lws
10-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Believe it or not, his name is Joe also.

Sounds like an episode of the Newhart show. :lookaroun

boldts
10-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Like everyone else, I've been there and done stupid stuff at the ramp. I really feel sorry for the wife in this story and I'm sure the husband couldn't have been much better if at all. I always had a system and used it every time. However, one Saturday, luckily late in the day, I forgot the drain plug. Luckily, my then wife said no to backing the boat off the trailer. I came back down to the dock after parking the truck and trailer to find the bilge pump running full blast and a stream of water coming out the side of the boat that stretched clear to the other side of the dock. I knew right away what I had done and ran back to the truck to get the trailer back into the water. We pulled the boat back out and after about a half hour, finally got the boat dried out. I put the plug in and had a great couple of hours on the water.

No yelling at the wife was necessary. I knew I screwed up. To bad not all men can be men and admit when they've done wrong. BTW, I taught my ex to drive the boat off the trailer and our launch routine was a perfect 10. No holding anyone up and she learned to run the boat on her own. Take the time guys and work with your mates to make them a part of the experience. They'll enjoy boating more and you'll avoid looking like an a** in front of others at the launch ramp.

Team Jefe
10-16-2006, 07:17 AM
AS usual, my good friend Scott has advice for the ages.

I have had my share of problems are the ramp....mainly from my ex as well, as she ALREADY knew more about backing a trailer than anyone else in teh free world:bonk:

Angel on the other hand is a top shelf hand at this stuff. We even have a set of short range radios....20 bucks at walmart, and it makes this great. No more yelling (which you have to do, even if you're not mad).

We employee these radios wonderfully, I simple speak to her like a normal human and work her down the ramp. She is a quick study which helps :)

Bertram Boy can verify this technique works. at AOTH this year, he helped Renee get the trailer hooked up as I brought the boat around. as the set up above the ramp, I started talking her down. Cliff, grabbed the radio, and told Renee not to listen to me....He thought the usual tirad was coming, like this thread's original story. She stopped and grabbed the radio from Cliff telling him we had a good system. I think Cliff was amazed as I clamly walked her down the ramp and loaded without incident.

those of you who know the Jamestown ramp, know loading boat here is not the easiset thing in the world to do.

Also, always remind your wife and yourself. Take as much time as you need and ignore the outside stuff. By God, everyone else at the ramp take as much time as they want:lookaroun

olredalert
10-16-2006, 08:45 AM
------I have gotten so used to launching by myself that I just naturally tie the bow line to the trailer and back down till I see the boat float. Then I get out, go back, and tie it up. This, of course, assumes that there is a dock to tie to. I have also had my share of missing drain plugs and still hooked boats over the years. It usually happens when I am distracted which is scary because I am so easily distracted by the strangest stuff. That Jamestown ramp, by the way, is easily the most intimidating ramp I have ever launched at..........Bill S

harbormaster
10-16-2006, 10:51 AM
I keep telling them them that us Texas boys could fix that ramp with a few dump trucks of Colichi.

dr
10-16-2006, 11:50 AM
and yes I confess to years ago taking a cooler and lawn chairs to a busy boat launch and enjoying the circus….

Its odd but my wife and I have been boating for over 25 years and never had a bad experience launching or retrieving a boat….and I can honestly say that’s the only activity we can say that about…in fact she can drive a truck backwards better than she can forward…..it just seems that’s its intuitive…we each have our roles and we do them without speaking…maybe that’s the ‘magic’…the not speaking part that is…

Now when it comes to things like cleaning the garage, cleaning the boat, doing yard work and 100’s of other mundane activities we often look like the 3 stooges…

Some of the funniest moments (not funny then) came when we were into sailboats and drinking to excess was common…never did figure out that sailing into the wind thing….

We would take our dogs out with us and one or more would invariably jump off the boat at the most inappropriate time…I mean we couldn’t control them in a 3000 sq foot house and 80 acres but for some reason we thought taking them on a 20 ft sailboat was a good idea….…

Cuda
10-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Sounds like an episode of the Newhart show. :lookaroun
Yeah, my sister like to introduce us as her brother Joe, and her other brother Joe. :)

I'm just glad grandpa's name wasn't Darryl. :)