PDA

View Full Version : Fall With A Vengeance.

Magicallbill
10-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Crazy..
Low tracks NE up thru Ontario toward James Bay, drags a kick-butt cold front across us..
Winds veered NW after the frontal passage,temps are dropping like falling objects out of the sky.
I checked a couple C-Man sites; 7's on L. Michigan,8-footers on Superior.
Great Lakes Forecast..
Gale Warnings out for Mich&Superior..40Knots out of the West/NW.
12-18 footers on the South Half of Michigan.
15-20-Footers on the East Half of Superior.
This is Edmund Fitzgerald-type weather..

I'll bet Patti's outside grilling hamburgers.....

MB.

Lenny
10-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Sorry Bill, but we ARE... :)

I was just looking at my banana trees and they must be close to 14' now.

Best year ever I had with the Palms...

60 degrees today and sunny and clear for the foreseeable future.

Please keep that stuff over there. Thank You ;)

I have been watching NOAA as always, and I have a "hunch" that something undesireable is going to show up just as I get on a plane in Seattle to fly to Miami and go to the Worlds again. Just a "hunch" but I am gun shy.

Magicallbill
10-11-2006, 11:01 PM
SSShhhhhh...
Don't talk about it,and you'll have great weather there..

Weather Channel is comfirming your statement that you made awhile ago about Pacific warming..There saying a mild ElNino turning into a "Medium-Strength" ElNino as the season progresses.
That should keep our snow levels down here if it pans out that way..

Patti
10-12-2006, 05:21 AM
LOL!
Nah..it's too early to grill silly!...Maybe later though ;)
Got up here a bit ago..and there is SNOW on the ground :)
It's a bit chilly today....and yes..I do like it lol

boxy
10-12-2006, 09:36 AM
We had a great weekend here, might have been the last trip down the River for a while though, the only thing left in the water is the tin boat ......

goatee
10-12-2006, 10:14 AM
yep,,, pretty soon we'll have to close the windows all the way.

patty, is that your drive way?
how awsome is that?

Last Tango
10-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Actually, here we are now OPENING the windows since we will no longer need the AC until next May except for once in a great while.

Patti
10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
yep,,, pretty soon we'll have to close the windows all the way.
patty, is that your drive way?
how awsome is that?

Yep..thats actually the far side of the drive..its circular ..we're on 3 acres so its pretty big :)

Patti
10-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Actually we ended up having a decent day between snow squalls...
It's cold tonight though..no doubt lol
The sun did peek out on more than one occasion though :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ddbb38/Picture1169.jpg

Magicallbill
10-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Actually, here we are now OPENING the windows since we will no longer need the AC until next May except for once in a great while.

I knew it was only a matter of time before the "Floridian Input."
Just what I was hopin' for....
Patti. GREAT shot..Trees look cool against the snow!

I want to move in with Last Tango, Cuda, Poodle, or whoever.
I have the salamander blasters set up in my barn to keep the engines from cracking..This snap caught me tryin' to extend the sesaon....

gcarter
10-12-2006, 07:30 PM
We had a great weekend here, might have been the last trip down the River for a while though, the only thing left in the water is the tin boat ......
Steve, what is that small multistory structure?
Is that what the Brits call a "folly"?

Bill, I'm sorry, but it was 85* here today. I'm South of Mark who lives in the far North city of Jacksonville. Living there is kinda like living in Georgia where it actually freezes some times.
Actually, I'm looking forward to some days in the 60's and 70's. That's when boating around here gets really pleasant. I bet I didn't put 10 hours on my boat this summer because it was so hot. 97* in a no wake zone is no fun.

ATLDONZI
10-12-2006, 08:48 PM
here in atlanta we are saving on our electric bills....open windows...

Magicallbill
10-13-2006, 01:48 AM
GCarter;
Yeah, your comin' into a great time of year, I would think. Hurricane threat about done, warm days, cool nites..
Probably freezes every once-and-awhile, in Dec. or Jan. doesn't it?

gcarter
10-13-2006, 03:49 AM
GCarter;
Yeah, your comin' into a great time of year, I would think. Hurricane threat about done, warm days, cool nites..
Probably freezes every once-and-awhile, in Dec. or Jan. doesn't it?
Yeah, average about three nights in Jan and Feb it'll get into low 30's, high 20's. Of course now is when the snow birds arrive and clog the roads. Also makes ya do better planning for dinner in restaurants, etc.

CHACHI
10-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Steve, what is that small multistory structure?
Is that what the Brits call a "folly"?
Bill, I'm sorry, but it was 85* here today. I'm South of Mark who lives in the far North city of Jacksonville. Living there is kinda like living in Georgia where it actually freezes some times.
Actually, I'm looking forward to some days in the 60's and 70's. That's when boating around here gets really pleasant. I bet I didn't put 10 hours on my boat this summer because it was so hot. 97* in a no wake zone is no fun.George, that is a photo of the "childrens playhouse" on Heart Island in the Thousand Islands. The building in the rear is Boldt Castle, comissioned by George Boldt to be built for his wife. George ordered construction of the castle stopped when his wife died. It is now under ownership of the 1K Island Bridge Authority. If you came up two years ago, you would know this. Ken Oh, and by the way Western New York recieved 8" of snow last night. So says the radio.

gcarter
10-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Ken, sometime you'll have to tell me who Mr. Boldt was. Obviously someone with more money than me.:wink: :)

boxy
10-13-2006, 09:31 PM
George, as cool as the Castle and the Playhouse are, the coolest part of the property is the Boathouse. It was built on a seperate Island, and it has doors high enough to berth a huge sailing ship, masts up .....
I'll try to find some pics. We should try to schedule a tour next year at the Sound of Thunder Run.

George Charles Boldt (1851-1916), a self-made millionaire, influenced development of the urban hotel as a civic social center and luxurious destination.

He was proprietor of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City and built and owned The Bellevue-Stratford Hotel in Philadelphia (now the Park Hyatt). He was a trustee of Cornell University, to which his daughter donated the Boldt Tower, a gothic residence hall.

He is perhaps best known for building Boldt Castle in the Thousand Islands area of New York State. The castle was intended as a gift for his wife Louise Kehrer Boldt, but when she died suddenly in 1904, construction was halted. The castle, which has gone under major restoration after decades of vandalism, is now a major summer tourist attraction at Alexandria Bay.

Boldt is credited with popularizing Thousand Island dressing during his time at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, when he instructed Maitre D' Oscar Tschirky to include it on the menu.

Tony
10-13-2006, 09:50 PM
I just got back from spending two days and one night with 60 sixth graders at an outdoor YMCA camp. Last year, at the same time, we had 75 degrees and full sun. This year...35 degrees, snow, and wind. At one point we were canoeing and the hail was coming down just about parallel to the lake! I guess it gives the kids something to talk about, especially the ones who did not heed our warning and came underdressed.

:beer:

Magicallbill
10-14-2006, 03:16 AM
I thought at first Scott Boldts had a castle..heck, he deserves one for all the AOTH work he does.
Crap..I saw Miinxguy posted;I forgot to get him shots of my Bennett indicators on my Scorpion..I'll get a camera together and hopefully shoot them when I'm cleaning it up prior to putting it away for the winter.
Just heard about the snow in Buffalo,and NY..Quite the system..Lake Michigan was goin' nuts on my Holland Channel Webcam today..Westerly seas breaking over the breakwalls..

Lenny
10-14-2006, 08:36 AM
...35 degrees, snow, and wind. At one point we were canoeing and the hail was coming down just about parallel to the lake! I guess it gives the kids something to talk about, especially the ones who did not heed our warning and came underdressed.
:beer:

Luckily for us, we are still in thongs, shorts and T-shirts :D

...and the largest El-Nino ever in the Pacific to bring us what is supposed to be driest, mildest winter on record... :)

Magicallbill
10-14-2006, 11:55 AM
MP..Now there is a boathouse!! Good to know some folks have their priorities straight.
Lenny: How did it get to the largest ever from a small-to-medium ElNino?

Not that I'm complaining.....

boxy
10-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Luckily for us, we are still in thongs, shorts and T-shirts :D :)

Lenny, please, please, please tell me you're talking about wearing sandals t's and shorts, or you are talking about you and Deneen wearing thongs, shorts and t-shirts or some combination of the 3 ....

Mental image of Lenny in a thong not a good start to Saturday afternoon...

MadDog ..... MyWay's Northern home almost gives the Boldt boathouse a run. Boathouse big enough to lift his 46 Skater, with a gantry/sliding walkway beneath it, docking for his 33 Riva, and 82 Sunseeker, a paved ramp big enough for the Skater and the Riva, and the whole basin is protected by a sliding breakwall....

tiger lily
10-14-2006, 02:10 PM
went scuba diving today, going again tomorrow i think, saw girls in bikinis, it was nice but i heard 2 foot of snow up north michigan, and im really missing it knowing my sled is cover in dust sitting there all lonely right now, i miss the snow :(

Magicallbill
10-14-2006, 03:25 PM
went scuba diving today, going again tomorrow i think, saw girls in bikinis, it was nice but i heard 2 foot of snow up north michigan, and im really missing it knowing my sled is cover in dust sitting there all lonely right now, i miss the snow :(

I have read and re-read this post, and I can't decide whether your joking or really serious.

tiger lily
10-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I have read and re-read this post, and I can't decide whether your joking or really serious.

im actually serious, i love the snow, well mostly just for snowmobiling