PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer not working...any ideas??

TexasLXC275
10-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Have a 7.4 EFI with a Bravo One outdrive. The tube is hooked up to the back of the guage and I've followed all the way back to the back side of the engine where I lost sight of it. Where exactly does the tube plug into the drive? Is it possible it fell off or got plugged up?

Morgan's Cloud
10-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Has it worked at all since you have had the boat ?
If the lower unit has been anti-fouled it is possible that the pickup hole in the leading edge of the unit has been accidentally painted over. Also , it is quite common for very small pieces if debris to get wedged in the hole. Phil has on another thread invented a sample tool to help clear it out .. Maybe a little compressed air blowing back in the hose ?
I think there is a rather fragile plastic connector that joins the outdrive pickup side to the hose to the gauge side just under the drive bellow, this could have broken also.
Hose could have also become kinked or squashed on it's run to the gauge.
Those are the things I would first look for.
Nonetheless , don't put too much faith in those cheapo speedos.. they're basically decorations for your instrument panel !
Have you got the boat correctly propped yet and how does it run ?
Steve

LKSD
10-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Have a 7.4 EFI with a Bravo One outdrive. The tube is hooked up to the back of the guage and I've followed all the way back to the back side of the engine where I lost sight of it. Where exactly does the tube plug into the drive? Is it possible it fell off or got plugged up?

It plugs in at the top of the cavitation plate in the front of the drive. It is usually a yellowish arm with the hose on top. It turns a 1/4 turn & then pulls out (push in & turn 1/4 turn to install).. If this is not popped out check for a kinked or blocked line. Jamie / Lakeside

glashole
10-12-2006, 08:26 AM
perfect time to add a GPS speedo :wink:

gcarter
10-12-2006, 08:45 AM
A liquid filled Livorsi with a range greater than what you run, i.e., maybe 0-100 MPH, will be very accurate. Mine runs within 2-3 MPH of GPS.
The reason for a speedo that has a larger range is any Bourdon tube instrument is the most accurate in the middle of its range. So if you run 50-70 MPH, you would be in the middle of a 100 MPH speedo.