PDA

View Full Version : alpha one nosecone

ATLDONZI
10-10-2006, 07:53 PM
anyone know of a good nose cone for alpha one? i have had bobs machine shop do my flats boat but i really dont need a low water pickup since i cant raise my sterndrive vertically..

Lenny
10-10-2006, 08:07 PM
http://www.hydromotive.com/nosecones.html

I have heard "2" miles per hour but I am not sure...

HC-MC1 A MerCruiser #1 I/O, MC-260 and Alpha Drive

Rootsy
10-10-2006, 08:53 PM
unless you are approching a speed where the bubble coming off shadow side of the drive is about to reach the prop (causing ventilation.. ie blowout) you are probably going to give up some speed due to increased drage due to surface area... the boat will probably track better though due to the increased aspect ratio...

ATLDONZI
10-10-2006, 09:05 PM
what speeds does that occur? also i run with the boat fully trimmed out and 6/8 to WOT a lot will it help at all?

FlynLow
10-11-2006, 07:48 AM
I had a Bob's w/ low water p/u on the 18 Alpha until last year. I had it put on when I got the boat 7yrs. ago. Handling is better without it and trim level can go higher before Blowout without it. Didn't notice speed change in the 60-70 range. I'm not putting one on the new drive. I've heard on Bravo's there is improvement due to thier larger leading edge. Hope this helps.

hyperlite98
10-11-2006, 09:46 AM
unless you are approching a speed where the bubble coming off shadow side of the drive is about to reach the prop (causing ventilation.. ie blowout) you are probably going to give up some speed due to increased drage due to surface area... the boat will probably track better though due to the increased aspect ratio...

Is it possible to be 'blowing out' at around 67mph? is there a certain amount of vibration that wil be experineced when the air from the nose cone seeps into the prop?

thanks.
Jeff

boldts
10-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Can't give any advice on the Alpha, but I put a Hydromotive cone on my Bravo1 and gained 1 mph. Went from 67. something to 68. something. It's been a few years so I don't remember the actual numbers. Just trying to show you don't have to be going 100 mph to have a cone be a speed increaser.

Now, add a 2" shortie or an SS drive and you'll get some real speed increase. Rootsy knows that one intimately!

FlynLow
10-11-2006, 12:19 PM
I had a Bob's w/ low water p/u on the 18 Alpha until last year. I had it put on when I got the boat 7yrs. ago. Handling is better without it and trim level can go higher before Blowout without it. Didn't notice speed change in the 60-70 range. I'm not putting one on the new drive. I've heard on Bravo's there is improvement due to thier larger leading edge. Hope this helps.
p.s. If I were to throw a few bucks at the Drive I'd Lab my favorite prop and know I'd see results.