PDA

View Full Version : I need a Trailer!! You can help :-)

davids94
10-10-2006, 03:00 PM
I know it's blasphemy to you guys but currently I own a Four Winns U-19 5.8FSI with an SX. Basically I'm a college student that can't afford a donzi.

In any event, I need a trailer for my Unlimited but really don't know where to look. Many of you have a similar hull shape to mine so I figure you might know where to go for something that will fit it. Galv or aluminum is fine but I don't have an unlimited amount of $$ so galv. is probably more feasible. I'm located in Gainesville, Fl (GO GATORS) so somewhere relatively close would be nice.

The original trailer was 21'7'' long, Carrying capacity 3,040, GVWR 3740, 86'' wide. I need something with the axle far back because of all that weight in the rear of the boat. I dont want a Seesaw.

Thanks for your help
~Dave

Lenny
10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.continentaltrailers.com/aluminumdriveon.html

Buy for a longer boat than you have so that you can keep the hole thing over the frame and supported. Tandem. make sure the boat, when distribution is correct, supports the entire hull and does not leave any hanging out over back not on bunks.

Get bunks...Bunks only.

davids94
10-10-2006, 05:02 PM
http://www.continentaltrailers.com/aluminumdriveon.html
Buy for a longer boat than you have so that you can keep the hole thing over the frame and supported. Tandem. make sure the boat, when distribution is correct, supports the entire hull and does not leave any hanging out over back not on bunks.
Get bunks...Bunks only.

Thanks for the Tip Lenny, is it ok if the drive hangs off the back or should it be over the frame of the trailer as well? Also, I should go tandem even though its a relatively small boat? Is there an issue with getting a trailer that has a higher GVWR than the original -- will the suspension be useless?

Cuda
10-10-2006, 06:24 PM
I see you are in Florida. You can give Mad Poodle a pm, he can sell Continental trailers. Also, try calling Captain Jack at Quickload. Be sure to talk to Jack, and not his son. The son will quote you the list price. This time of year, Jack is slow and will usually make you a good deal. I paid $3500 for a triple axle trailer for my 302 Formula. That was about a grand less than his list price, and over two grand less than Owens and Sons quoted me.

Also I bought a no frills Continetal four years or so ago that is rated to 5200 pounds and a 24 foot boat for about $1700. I currently have it under the Minx. I've had Deb's 22 on it also. Just have to move the winch stand.

Both were aluminum.

Cuda
10-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Btw, Quickload is in St Pete. He had mine custom made in four days.

Lenny
10-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the Tip Lenny, is it ok if the drive hangs off the back or should it be over the frame of the trailer as well? No, drive can be behind the end of trailer, preferred actually :) Also, I should go tandem even though its a relatively small boat? Yes, that is heavy enough to warrant a tandem. MANY 18's here have tandem as well. Is there an issue with getting a trailer that has a higher GVWR than the original -- will the suspension be useless? No, you are just better prepared for when you sell the 4WINNS and buy the 22 Classic :D

:) :) :)

Tony
10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
No apologies for owning a U-19. It is a well built boat, with a proven hull design, plus the added benefit of being powered and pushed by Volvo!

:beer:

olredalert
10-11-2006, 12:22 PM
-------When your double-axle trailer has a blowout at speed you will thank yourself that you still have three with air in them no matter how big the boat is!!!..........Bill S

glashole
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
amen

davids94
10-11-2006, 01:00 PM
-------When your double-axle trailer has a blowout at speed you will thank yourself that you still have three with air in them no matter how big the boat is!!!..........Bill S

Been there done that and it wasn't a good experience. THanks for reminding me!

Cuda
10-11-2006, 01:13 PM
I actually had the whole wheel come off a tandem axle travel trailer I owned, coming down the Skyway Bridge. I didn't even know if was gone until someone pulled up beside me and said it had come off.

davids94
10-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Hey Cuda,

Mad Poodle says he won't sell me a trailer because I'm a gator. Maybe its because we're #2 in the nation and I'm pretty sure Miami isn't even in the top 25 :smash: .

But being third generation born in Miami, I've got a small (very small) place for Sebastian in my heart. I do think he is one of the better mascots in any case.

Cuda
10-12-2006, 08:01 AM
He has been uncharacteristically quiet this year on all the college football threads. Wonder why that is. :)
I was reading that this is the first time in many years that only one team from Florida is ranked in the top twenty five.

davids94
10-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Yeah and suprisingly its UF thats the only one! I'm a gator and all but I don't expect that much out of our football team lately.

Poodle is getting prices for me on galv, alum., single, and tandem. I'll see how much cash I can pull together and make a decision.

Thanks for all the info guys!

donzihunter
10-13-2006, 09:17 PM
I have the perfect trailer for you. The price will make it worth the drive. it is a 2001 model Magnum long enough for a 20' boat like yours.

E-mail me if interested

shawfamily@sbcglobal.net

davids94
10-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Would a continental SSTA2360 be too big for my boat?
continental lists it for a 21'-23', tandem, 6000lbs load capacity,96''

Again, I have a
Four Winns U-19 5.8FSI
The original trailer was 21'7'' long, Carrying capacity 3,040, GVWR 3740, 86'' wide

davids94
10-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I got the PM. I was at school from 9AM to 8PM so I didnt have much chance to call. I'll ring ya tomorrow if thats not a problem. Will that SSTA2360 be too big because I might be able to pick one up reasonably.