PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Carb

Cuda
10-09-2006, 07:38 PM
I have an E carb on my Minx, which has a 330 horse 350 engine. I took it out Saturday, and it was running like a champ. I jumped one cruiser wake, and felt it loose power for a split second, then picked right back up, and ran without a hiccup. I reached an idle zone, and I could tell it was about to die at idle. At that point I was about thirty miles from my trailer, so I turned around and ran back to the ramp. I hit one other smaller wake, and felt the mometary loss of power again, but again it caught right back up and ran perfectly. When I got near the dock, I tried to idle down, and sure enough it died. I got it started back up, gave it a little goose to get me headed towards the dock, then throttled back and it died, so I drifted to the dock.

I figured I must have stirred up something in the fuel. Today I started it up, and I had to keep it about 1100 rpm to keep it running. I shut it down, pulled both the idle screws out, and sprayed carb cleaner in them. Didn't help. Next, I pulled the fuel/water separator, and poured out the gas. Looked fine, with just a very small amount of water in it, and a couple of small floaters. Fired it up again. I found that even with the engine completely warmed, if I closed the choke some, it would run better. That leads me to believe it's not getting enough fuel, except it runs fine above 2000 rpm. I know jack sh1t about E carbs. Is there another filter right at the connection of the fuel line to the carb that might be clogged or something? Any ideas would be appreciated.

MOP
10-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Joe being as it runs fine up where it needs good fuel flow tells me the prob is in the low speed circuits. Joe find a spare mixture screw drill a hole down through the center the size of the carb cleaner tube make it a farily tight fit, screw it in the hole three or four turns the stick the tube in the hole. Just sticking the screw hole lets most of the cleaner blow back out at you. The home made Gizzy helps to make more go through the passages, don't look down the bores the stuff comes flying up at you.

Newby
10-09-2006, 09:58 PM
I had the same problem this weekend after some rough water. I have a 600 cfm edelbrock. It felt like it was pulsating a bit underway. When I slowed down, the idle was very slow and I was concerned it would stall. It never did, but clearly was not running right. I put it back on the trailer and took it home. There I removed the arrester and started the engine to flush it. It continued to idle slow and would occasionally pick up to the correct idle. I suspected varnish or water in the fuel. With the choke on half way, it would idle better. I treated it with some hand choking and it cleared. Rev the motor to 1500 to 2000 rpms and then close the choke tight. As the engine slows and then starts to stall, open the choke before the engine stalls and allow the rpms to increase again. Then do it again until the motor runs better. It worked for me. I am going to pull the seperator/filter and check for stuff. If it happens again, I would clean the carb manually.

Cuda
10-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Got it fixed. I figured it had to be something in the idle circuit, since I could screw the adjustments all the way in, and it made no difference. Today I'd rev it up, and slam the choke shut. I did that a couple times, and it seem to idle a bit better. I could still screw the port side screw all the way in, and it didn't affect the idle, but the starboard side would. I pulled both of them back out and spray the chit out of them with carb cleaner. I thought I could feel something give in the port side, and then not nearly as much carb cleaner was spitting back out. That's when I got it to idle right. I'm damn happy I didn't have to take the carb apart.:)

mrfixxall
10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
If you have the idle to high the idle air mixture screws wont do a thing..try turning the idle down to 600rpm then adjust them to see if their working.no more then 1 turn..

Cuda
10-10-2006, 07:01 PM
If you have the idle to high the idle air mixture screws wont do a thing..try turning the idle down to 600rpm then adjust them to see if their working.no more then 1 turn..
I do know that much. I know when it's on the throttle, and not the idle circuit, that the screws won't do anything. When I'd get it down, it would run for a few seconds at the screws made no difference.

Donzigo
10-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Joe,

I think that you will find that the Edelbrock 600CFM carb is simply a Holly by another name. David had one in his 22 Classic and it was a Holly.

Walt. H.
10-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Joe,
I think that you will find that the Edelbrock 600CFM carb is simply a Holly by another name. David had one in his 22 Classic and it was a Holly.

I think you might mean that the Edelbrock was originally a Carter AFB type carburator.
WH

Cuda
10-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Walt must be correct, because it is nothing like a Holley.

Walt. H.
10-11-2006, 11:03 AM
It is said that one picture is worth a thousand words, here are three pic's that should help.

Picture link to a Edelbrock carb 600 cfm
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&productId=11358&parent_category_rn=&showValue=1&JegsPopup=ProductDisplayPopup

Picture link to a Holley dual feed 600 cfm
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&productId=47458&parent_category_rn=&showValue=1&JegsPopup=ProductDisplayPopup

And a single feed style Holley 600 cfm
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&productId=11818&parent_category_rn=&showValue=1&JegsPopup=ProductDisplayPopup

mrfixxall
10-11-2006, 11:17 AM
edlbroch is a webber

Walt. H.
10-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah they went by that name to, since Webber started remaking them until I believe Vic Edelbrock Jr. bought the exclusive rights to the design just a few yr's back?

But it goes back a few decades ago, and originally made and called a Carter AFB carburator.

I guess its like the word "tomato" it can be spelled two different ways, but the main thing was to just to help tell whats sitting on top of the intake manifold.

WH

Cuda
10-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Mine is like number one of Walt's pictures.

BigGrizzly
10-11-2006, 03:30 PM
The Eldebroc is a remake of the Carter AFB it has internal needles (meeterring rods) and is nothing like a holly in any way shap or form.