PDA

View Full Version : Still no frigging water!

Cuda
10-08-2006, 05:54 PM
I changed the impeller in one seawater pump in the 302 a while back, and just got dribbles out that exhaust. I figured I must have done something wrong, so today I pulled the pump again and didn't find anything I did wrong, or hook up wrong. Flushed both hoses going to the pump. Pulled off the t stat housing and flushed through it. When I flush through the t stat housing, shouldn't the water run out one of the hoses to the water pump as fast as I can get it in? It doesn't. Some water comes out the hose, but it will fill the engine and run back out the housing area. I tried sticking some pvc tube out the hose to the engine and get some water pressure against it, but still not enough water. I can only get the tube a little over a foot in the hose from the pump to the engine, and it hits something solid. I can't see what's back there, it's right behind the motor mount, and I can't see it at all. If there is something there that's clogged up, I'll have to pull the engine to get to it I believe. It was originally set up as a 454/420 with Twin Disc 502 transmissions and Kaama drives. Does anyone know exactly how it's plumbed, and could there be something behind the mount that could be clogged? I closed the offshore intake, and Debbie said it looked like a little more water was coming out the exhaust.

Tall Cotton
10-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Do you have any tranny coolers or other cooler-like fitments between the impeller and the water pump? I had decades of impeller parts and crap lodged in my hose after the sea water pump in the intake side of my transmission cooler. Worked wonders after I cleaned it out.
Check for a good seal on the sea water impeller housing. Some older ones come with an extra wear plate that, when not installed, will not seal and the impeller won't work.
Don't know how old/new your engine is but I actually had a used boat with a new motor that had a new starboard manifold - with a restrictor plate for a closed system installed! Needless to say, I had a dribble on that side exhaust. Good Luck.

Cuda
10-08-2006, 06:49 PM
I just had Debbie start the engine so I could watch the water out the exhaust, there wasn't even a dribble. I figure the water she saw before was what I had pumped in the engine while trying to flush it.

MOP
10-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Joe where are your oil coolers located? More then often when a pump :toiletpap the bed the impeller chunks end up in the oil cooler, most of the time back flushing the cooler clears the junk out.

Tall Cotton
10-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah, what MOP said...

Cuda
11-12-2006, 03:14 PM
The starboard engine wasn't flowing water. A couple months back, I changed the impeller in the sea water pump. Still no flow. Pulled it back out to double check the install, looked fine, and I pulled loose every hose connection I could reach and flushed it. Tried again, still no flow.

Yesterday, I had the idea to pull the pump from the starboard engine that I knew was flowing, and put it on the port side. A real pita to do on either side. I thought the starboard side would be easier, until I saw some brainiac put all the hose clamps on upside down. Obviously installed while the engine was out. After much cussing, sweating, and bleeding, I fired up the port side. Still no flow. I put the pump that was on the port side on the starboard side and fired it up. Pumped fine.

Although I still didn't fix the problem, I did figure out two things.
1. I had the pump together correctly
2. The port side problem isn't the pump

I'm wondering now if it's only a problem when running on the hose. I'm thinking of hooking the boat up to the truck, taking it to the boat launch to fire it up. I'd like to see if it flows then.

Sweating like a butcher today in that bilge. I wanted to get an early start before the sun got directly overhead, but you know what they say about best laid plans.

Everytime I work on these pumps, I get an assortment of cuts and bruises. It's just so much fun.

Cuda
11-12-2006, 03:36 PM
I began thinking that maybe the problem was in the flushing system, and not the cooling system. A guy on another board said he had a problem where the valve is for closing the water intake, and making it run on the hose. Both engines have always had water running out the offshore intakes when on the hose, but very little would come out them when the engine was running. Today, we hooked the truck up, and took it to the boat launch, and just backed it in far enough to get the intakes under the water. Fired up the offending engine, and Voila! Plenty of water coming out the exhaust! I'm a happy dude right about now, but I'm not looking forward to getting down to where that valve is located in the Formula.
http://www.zippyvideos.com/8047854856271266/11-12-2006_011/

catch 22
11-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Joe, I wish you would start up the other side for Debbie.:wink:

BUIZILLA
11-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Joe, do you happen to have one of those plastic 1 1/4" *T* flusher bypasses inline?? that's your problem dude... I almost melted the engine in my 18, due to one of those... did the EXACT same thing.... BTW, your bloody hand reminds me of the Formula I used to own, I could NOT get out of the bilge of that thing, without getting bloody every damm time. And yes, the clamps were upside down on that thing too. The first time I tried to change the impeller, I had to remove the whole pump to get to the 2 bottom clamps.

JH

Greg K
11-15-2006, 09:14 AM
That's funny..

Cuda
11-15-2006, 09:24 AM
I couldn't hear what she was saying. If you noticed, I had to throttle back to hear her.

Btw, I did start up the other side. :)

http://www.zippyvideos.com/9177438216271326/11-12-2006_013/*cuda