PDA

View Full Version : Volvo vs Merc question... POODLE?

Lenny
10-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Given a 350 (CHEV)Volvo boat of yester-year and a 350 (CHEV) Merc boat of yester-year, do the motors sit the same distance forward/aft and height?

If not, what is the difference? I know Forrest has done something like this but the reverse. (Merc to Volvo) He might know as well.

Contemplating a BRAVO transom assembly and BH on the X with the new Stroker... :D or keeping the VOLVO for now (280)

Thanx in advance. :D

MOP
10-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Fore and aft the is little difference, as to height that then and now is determined by your X. The only other factor in the mix is riser height, if you decide to go fast and BH it you will need to mod the hatch to take full advantage of the drive. The gear case must be clear of the water flow or it will not do its best and infact will develope stern lift.

Phil

Lenny
10-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanx MOP. I will measure my distance to BLOCK beginning from inner glasswork on the transom and post it for MERC comparison. Risers are un-important, cuz in either scenario, they will be SS Marine. :)

As for hatch bumps etc, with the mold for the 18 X hatch, I can do anything.

Lenny
10-08-2006, 05:05 PM
13 3/4" to the seam on the Volvo 280 bellhousing and the block casting. Inner measurement on transom glasswork measured on top and center.

What is MERC ?

MOP
10-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok flash light in my teeth being as it is dark here on the right coast!!! Tape measure in hand I come up with 10 & 1/8" from the block seam to the transon wood. Hope this gets you closer in your thinking!:boggled: