PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Harley afficianados.....

gcarter
10-06-2006, 06:01 PM
This looks like a pretty interesting book....
http://cgi.ebay.com/What-Fits-What-on-Harley-Davidson-Motorcycles-1936-1983_W0QQitemZ200034757765QQihZ010QQcategoryZ378QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DonziJon
10-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi George: I'm really getting worried. First, out of the clear blue, you want to sell the BEST Minx out there.. ie. you know everything about it. It's time to DRIVE and enjoy that boat. You worked long and hard to get that boat where it is now... and you want to give it to someone else??? :bonk:

Harley Book?? Maybe you should buy my Square Four and restore it. I don't ride anymore. I'm getting too old and Motorcycles are DANGEROUS! When it comes to motorcycles, I've been there and done that. Three (Total) cross countries and uncounted shorter trips (Less than 1,500 miles one way) with my lovely wife of over 40 years. Over 140,000 miles. :lookaroun

Oh Wait: We didn't do the cross countries on the Square Four. We did it on a 1983 Yamaha Venture.. Total mileage 121,000 miles when we sold it. The last cross country was on a 1990 Yamaha Venture. That one now has 30,000 miles on it.

Cross Country: Definition: RiIDE the bike clear across the United States to the west coast and back with various side trips as required to see some points of interest. None of this SISSY trucking or trailering the bike most of the way crap.

I need to take a deep breath now. John

gcarter
10-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Naw....I wouldn't personally buy a Harley. Even if they were the best bikes in the world, I wouldn't be able to get over the umpteen years of them building trash.
Why don't you PM or email me a price?
I'm not really in the market for a bike, but a Squariel is a bike I've admired and desired since the '50's.

gcarter
10-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Pass the popcorn please, Buizilla will be here ANY second :) :)
G, thanks for the headsup.. I think I am going to grab that so I know what parts I need to replace the ones that fall off my bikes :) :)
Glad I could help.
Old Harleys belong in museums. The newer ones are pretty good.
Actually, new Harleys are the bike they should have been building in the late '40's, but weren't.
I guess when you have a following like Harley does, you can keep trying till ya get it right.
Now if they would just modernize the whole line like the V-Rod.......

Anonymous

BUIZILLA
10-06-2006, 07:33 PM
I guess when you have a following like Harley does, you can keep trying till ya get it right.
Now if they would just modernize the whole line like the V-Rod.......
hold on, I need to go out to the garage a sec, Georgey Porgey wasn't paying attention in class last weekend it seems...

dum

dum

dum

dum

dee

daa

dum

dum

reaching for light switch...

ahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

damm, I knew I had 2 Harley's in here somewhere

and one's an '07 Vrod....

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

damm proud of it too

:yes:

gcarter
10-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Well, it only took about 60 years and Porsche had to engineer it!!:wink: :wink:

BTW, I did see it last weekend.:)

vrod02
10-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Porshe? LoMFL! Porshe was in effect with the birth of the EVO not the Revolution,vrod.AMF was the savior and demise. Also Harley was top dog in the late 50's- early 60's with the sportster, fastest bike,till vrod.

gcarter
10-06-2006, 08:00 PM
My main complaint about Harley is that they have always been a very capable bike manufacturer, but haven't always chosen to do so.
During WW II, Harley had a contract to build 1000 copies of a BMW, called the XA, starting in 1941.
These bikes had telescoping sprung front suspension (no girders), plunger rear suspension, four speed transmission with dry clutch, and foot shift w/hand clutch. Also had shaft drive w/ fully enclosed rear gearing. And a nice opposed twin twin w/ about 750 cc's.
After the war, did they utilize ANY of this technology?
NO, THEY DIDN'T!!!
Well, why not?

BUIZILLA
10-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Well, why not?very simply, it wouldn't have been a Harley

it only would have been a copy of something else

:cool!:

gcarter
10-06-2006, 08:08 PM
BTW, in about 1960, for a short period of time, I owned a 1958 Sportster CH. Magneto and all. Always interesting to get started.
It was a fun bike, but not particularly dependable. I couldn't afford to keep it running.
Sold it and got two bikes, a 1950 BMW, and a BSA Gold Star 500 cc scrambler. The BSA was also always interesting to get started, but really fun.
Thump, thump, thump, thump etc, etc, etc!

gcarter
10-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Porshe? LoMFL! Porshe was in effect with the birth of the EVO not the Revolution,vrod.AMF was the savior and demise. Also Harley was top dog in the late 50's- early 60's with the sportster, fastest bike,till vrod.
Take a look at this...

2002 Harley-Davidson V-Rod
The 2002 V-Rod: Harley-Davidson's revolutionary muscle bike.

Photos by Ben Stewart and Harley-Davidson
Published in the July, 2001 issue.

And those forks have some serious slope, 34° to be exact. It's like a modern-day chopper. That rake, combined with the long 67.5-in. wheelbase, gives the V-Rod that undeniable look of a custom--stretched and slammed. The frame is a unique steel-perimeter design with anodized aluminum body panels. The bends of the silver-dipped frame are achieved through hydroforming (just like it's done on GM's full-size trucks) and are accentuated by bolt-on lower frame rails.

"The V-Rod is the first member of a new family of Harley-Davidson motorcycles," says vice president of engineering Earl Werner. "This all-American custom was inspired by Harley-Davidson's drag-racing heritage and the VR 1000 Superbike race engine. It's really a stunning styling and engineering accomplishment."

The look of the bike is hot, but the heart of the V-Rod (VRSCA in Harley code) is the Revolution. That's the name of the advanced liquid-cooled, 1130cc, 60° V-twin engine with port fuel injection. This double-overhead-camshaft mill has four-valve cylinder heads and was codeveloped with Porsche Engineering (no joke). It's Harley's first liquid-cooled engine and belts out 115 hp at an un-Harleylike 8250 rpm. But true to the hog tradition, the Revolution makes a boatload of torque, a full 74 ft.-lb. of meat-melting muscle.

The engine has its own special sound, too. It's more sophisticated than the traditional "potato, potato, potato" Harley exhaust--more of a sweet potato. That new melody exits through a large-volume two-into-one-into-two exhaust.

SPECIFICATIONS: 2002 HARLEY-DAVIDSON V-ROD (VRSCA)
Suggested Retail Price $17,200
Engine Type 60° fuel-injected liquid-cooled 69-cu.-in. (1130cc) DOHC V-twin
Bore And Stroke 3.94 x 2.83 in.
Compression Ratio 11.3:1
Horsepower 115 @ 8250 rpm
Torque 74 ft.-lb. @ 7000 rpm
Ignition Switch barrel-keyed
Transmission 5-speed spur- and helical-gear
Final Drive belt
Front Suspension 49mm custom fork with 3.94 in. of travel
Rear Suspension cast-aluminum swingarm with 2.36 in. of travel, coil-over shocks
Brakes (f/r) 11.5-in. discs
Tires F: 120/70ZR19
R: 180/55ZR18

Length 93.6 in.
Seat Height 26 in.
Ground Clearance 5.6 in.
Wheelbase 67.5 in.
Dry Weight 595.7 lb.
Fuel Capacity 4 gal.

vrod02
10-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the lesson. Vrod02 is my name. What do you want to know. I am a Harley "know it all". :lookaroun

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Y would anyone wanna buy a vrod lol. Harleys suck...

Btw I can say dat, down to POS in my stable
Sofa King

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 12:41 AM
Here's a pic of my albetrase

Cuda
10-07-2006, 08:34 AM
The reason Harley didn't change for years is that it didn't need to. They sold all the bikes they could build, why fool with success? As for the Sporty bashers, I doubt there would even be a Harley company if the Sporty hadn't carried them through the lean years. My buddy has a nice Deuce, his brother has a 1200 Sporty. My bud was bitter when he couldn't walk away from the Sporty.:)

I think all the HD line will be liquid cooled within five years or so.

Here's Buizilla during Bikeweek, checking out Deb's V Rod. We were at Crescent Lake, then rode over to Porky's, then to Astor. I think Jim enjoyed the ride. :)

BUIZILLA
10-07-2006, 08:42 AM
I think all the HD line will be liquid cooled within five years or so.
MY Harley sources tell me it may be within 3 years... the current TC can't pass 2010 emissions, the wet ones will, right now...

JH

Mac
10-07-2006, 09:27 AM
A Harley is a Harley, comparing other bikes to them in any area is pointless, a Harley is a class by itself, might as well be cars, Harleys and motorcycles. I have met so many people with other brands of cruisers who have to always tell me how their bike does this better than a Harley, it was cheaper, it has more power, it is more reliable, who friggin cares, it is not Harley.
Tell someone who does not own a motorcycle or know alot about them you have a motorcycle... the first question out of thier mouth is, "is it a Harley?"

BERTRAM BOY
10-07-2006, 09:46 AM
I always hate to get into a debate about which brand is "better". The fact is different bikes do certain things better than others.

One of my best friends owns a Fatboy, and I can ride it anytime I like. It's a VERY comfortable cruiser, or as I like to call it, a recliner on wheels, especially with those big wide floorboards.

However, compared to my BMW it's slow as !@#$%, doesn't handle the corners as well, and the engine certainly isn't as smooth.

Also, by no means in my BMW the fastest and best handling either, one ride on an MV Agusta, and it's pure ectasy. The accelleration, the handling is just purely amazing. Is it a good cruiser? Absolutley not.

My wife rides a 1200 Sportster and she loves it, but it's not for me.

Ed Donnelly
10-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Why buy a Vrod? Like saying why buy a new Donzi. Technology is why. F.I. versus carb..
Why buy a Harley? Why buy a Donzi? There are a lot of cheaper boats out there... Harley and Donzi have the name,mystique, and the following that other companies just dream about.Lets knock Rolex. Got my first Rolex in 1967 cost $295 replacement value today is $6,000. 39 yrs now and still ticking and I wear it daily. How many watches are still running after 39 yrs?
Thats right,Name,Mystique........Ed

wrussellw
10-07-2006, 09:47 AM
As a Donzi Classic, Harley Sportster and Porsche 911 owner, its all the same. Sometimes a company just gets a product right.

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Ed, I think u have it backwards, I believe ALL harleys are fuel injected now or have that option. Backwards again, No mas resale. U can buy new ones for under sticker, the old days of 3 g's over sticker are history. Harley compared to Donzi? That's like a 57 Bellaire compared to a new C-6 vette....100 year old technology vs. state of the art.

Willie G does wear a nice french barret made in china though.
Don't forget to visit your local stealers boutique and stock up on h/d coffee and toilet paper.

Sofa King

FOSTER
10-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Not a thing wrong with sportsters, I personly would not ride one on the street but I have had one or two hanging around.

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 12:51 PM
The new sportys are the best ever built! Lengthened the wheel base and improved suspension.

DonziJon
10-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey SK: Nice bike: Is that a Hardley..or an S&S... Just wondering. Sometimes it's hard to tell. John

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 07:10 PM
DJ TY, It's an 02 flstf (fatboy) Hardly Ableson. 95" dyno'd @ 95 hp 110ft/lbs.

Sofa King

vrod02
10-07-2006, 07:18 PM
DJ TY, It's an 02 flstf (fatboy) Hardly Ableson. 95" dyno'd @ 95 hp 110ft/lbs.
Sofa King
Who wants to talk about how worthless a soft tail is? Total junk period.And yes I'll back it up.

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Ohhh had I wish I had a vrod,lol My Yamaha sport tourer will rip your vrod a new one :eek!:

vrod02
10-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Are ya sure? I raced with
AHDRA for 3 years it ain't stock. My point was soft tails suck. They call them that because they look like "hard tails". Fashion over function bro. All that weight on the primary side with Crap suspention tends to wash out to the right every time. Twin Cam's are nothing but a EVO/sporster mod.

Ed Donnelly
10-07-2006, 07:53 PM
vrod02; Just went out to my garage and burnt my Softail to the ground.. Will buy a Vrod on Tues, as Monday is a holiday..
Sure hope you approve my Criterion SS. Would hate to burn her too and buy an 18 or whatever......Ed

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Vrod, do u know Stumpy? Mike Macadoo (think that's) his last name spelling. He had an accident at the track bout 4 months ago. I don't know which track but his front tire blew out.
Vrods rimd me of the Porche 928, hope the moco has better luck :wink:

Sofa King

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Ed, Figure that Rolex recommends a COA every three years and the average cost is $300-400, now does it really pay to have a 39 year old watch. I have a two tone sub right now, nice piece of jewlery but can't keep time to save its life lol. Loses bout 5 min. a month. My old Tag 1000 pro lost 7 sec of course it was quartz but it was a great watch. Sold it to my friend for $200 and it looks great and is still ticking with no maintenance other than battery change.

SK

vrod02
10-07-2006, 08:31 PM
vrod02; Just went out to my garage and burnt my Softail to the ground.. Will buy a Vrod on Tues, as Monday is a holiday..
Sure hope you approve my Criterion SS. Would hate to burn her too and buy an 18 or whatever......Ed
Sorry but its the truth. Dyna or Road king is the bike of choice, non Vrod.Your Donzi has nothing to do with this thread. Be Careful with your softail! Sofa. Ray Divine, Travis Lummis,N.C.!He owes me a tire from 05.

vrod02
10-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Vrod, do u know Stumpy? Mike Macadoo (think that's) his last name spelling. He had an accident at the track bout 4 months ago. I don't know which track but his front tire blew out.
Vrods rimd me of the Porche 928, hope the moco has better luck :wink:
Sofa King
Porshe designed you engine as well as the vrod engine

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Wrong! iffin i got another POS it would be the Road Glide, best h/d but I aint gonna let slick Willie get me again. Next bike will be the new generation Wing (2000 cc)

SK

vrod02
10-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm just stating the facts about H.D., I know them. I also own a hybrid Busa

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 08:42 PM
After 2 1/2 years on HTT so do I LOL. The Road glide handles so much better amazing for a touring bike compared to the pos road king. The new sportys are rubba mounted too. Best sporties ever.

vrod02
10-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Rubba mount has nothing to do with handling WEE Todd. Ever heard of a Buell? While not the fastest, will out curve any crotch out there.Its a sporster, but you knew that.

vrod02
10-07-2006, 08:52 PM
After 2 1/2 years on HTT so do I LOL. The Road glide handles so much better amazing for a touring bike compared to the pos road king. The new sportys are rubba mounted too. Best sporties ever.
:bonk:

vrod02
10-07-2006, 09:03 PM
This says it all
http://www.bmcycles.com/harleyVShonda.swf

Ricardo Grande
10-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Sofa King and Vrod02 are you guys for real? You both lack any social skills whatsoever, I just had to ask?

I now understand wht Matty left. It's so clear now.

BUIZILLA
10-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Who wants to talk about how worthless a soft tail is? Total junk period.And yes I'll back it up.eazy there greazy, i'll admit my Night Train ain't no Buell, but it damm sure ain't no POS. My previous lowered Road King, sans windshield, will out handle a Road Glide any day of the week.. period.

JH

Sofa King
10-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I just made a statement about the sportster one of the reasons they are the best sporties ever. As far as your buell a zx-10 will bury it LOL. I would get one iffin I could get down to 200.
Rico Suave, I thought we are gear head big boys with fast toys. I didn't join a ladies afternoon tea club. Do you extend your pinky?

Sofa King

gcarter
10-08-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm regretting ever starting this thread.
It's one thing discussing the design philosophy of one manufactuer and another and how hard historical times have affected the quality of said bikes, but this is rediculous.:(

If I EVERbuy a new bike it'll be a Honda.:wink:

vrod02
10-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Sofa King and Vrod02 are you guys for real? You both lack any social skills whatsoever, I just had to ask?
I now understand wht Matty left. It's so clear now.

Geez.. I'll admit we were getting on a rant!Sorry If I offended you. Why I dont care for Softtails, Heavy, Handle poorly, Either you set them up for solo or 2 up, "b" motors are hard to build H.P. Now whith that sayed the Duece is the best lookin out of the box in opinion.:lookaroun Nice vid M.P.! goes with the thread!

Sofa King
10-08-2006, 04:00 PM
MP, When I was growing up in S FL we celebrated " Cracker Day." Do they still have the Cracker Day parade on Dixie?

I'm justa askin'
SK

wrussellw
10-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Rubber engine mounts on my '06 Sportster are a definite improvement. Haven't lost a filling since I got it.

Rootsy
10-09-2006, 06:48 AM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l236/johnbhunter/Emoticons/th_trolls.gif

DonziJon
10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
I've always liked the "sound" of the Buell...and that funny muffler underneath. I'm not a Harley guy but you have to admit.. Harley is THE American motorcycle. I also like the "sound" of a "Duck". Have never ridden either. Which one???? If you could only have one?? John :bonk:

Mac
10-10-2006, 06:23 AM
I've always liked the "sound" of the Buell...and that funny muffler underneath. I'm not a Harley guy but you have to admit.. Harley is THE American motorcycle. I also like the "sound" of a "Duck". Have never ridden either. Which one???? If you could only have one?? John :bonk:

No question 916, and I would keep it in my living room during the winter, that bike is a piece of art.

CHACHI
10-10-2006, 06:47 AM
I also like the "sound" of a "Duck". Have never ridden either. Which one???? If you could only have one?? John :bonk:Ducati's not only sound good on the gas they also sound wonderful off the gas. The rattle of a dry clutch, the cadence of a 90 degree twin. The way it is planted to the road. It is a life altering experience. And yes, they do look good in living rooms/dens. Ken

CHACHI
10-10-2006, 06:58 AM
MY Harley sources tell me it may be within 3 years... the current TC can't pass 2010 emissions, the wet ones will, right now...
JHThe 08 Sporty will be water cooled. Ken

BUIZILLA
10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
The 08 Sporty will be water cooled. Ken my sources tell me that HD will show the new wet Sporty next week in Cologne, Germany. I have seen spy photo's, and it makes a Buell look like a kids toy, this thing is cool.... weight/hp ratio should make it faster than anything HD has factory released yet.

JH

Morgan's Cloud
10-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Ed, Figure that Rolex recommends a COA every three years and the average cost is $300-400, now does it really pay to have a 39 year old watch. I have a two tone sub right now, nice piece of jewlery but can't keep time to save its life lol. Loses bout 5 min. a month. My old Tag 1000 pro lost 7 sec of course it was quartz but it was a great watch. Sold it to my friend for $200 and it looks great and is still ticking with no maintenance other than battery change.
SK
My oldest one did'nt need it's first major overhaul untill it was 30 years old , but you are absolutely right when you ask is it worth it.
At about $500 it cost $275 more than the watch initially did. Still you have to weigh that up with the fact that the replacement value is currently $3500.
BTW ........ ++ Ricardo Grande ++ hmmm , what's in a name ... a little subtle humor maybe ? ? :wink: