PDA

View Full Version : navigation lights don't light up

blueliner
10-06-2006, 12:31 AM
didn't have a chance to crawl under the bow as of yet, but does anyone have any idea as to why my lights won't turn on???? they are on, on the dash, but the port/starboard light doesn't light up... does it sound like an air gap (broken wire) or something else?? are the dash lights on the same fuse as the nav lights?? i didn't have my key but wouldn't think that the key would have to be in to make them work either. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Lenny
10-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Dash lights will be the same as nav lights. Look for loss of DC to the bow light or no ground, assuming a good bulb (which should be obvious).

Basic stuff in theory.

Buy a "continuity tone" at Radio Shack or Queals Electronics or something, Gescan, Nedco, or Westburne or even Home depot, put the tone (continuity LED) on the pair, (two sides of the 2 wire pair) short out the bow light with anything so it is unbroken electrically (tie the wires together) and see if the red LED lights up on the tone you just bought, thus showing continuity on the wire/circuit.

Cuda
10-06-2006, 06:56 AM
On a boat, I always assume a bad ground first, then go from there.

ATLDONZI
10-06-2006, 07:52 AM
if you havent pulled off the cover and cleaned the contacts on the festoon bulb that would be the first on the plan of attack.. that is usually the problem.

Sofa King
10-06-2006, 07:56 AM
I had the same problem when I first got my boat (used) :wink:
After 10-15 min. they turned on. One oter time had to wait a 10 min, after that no problem.

Sofa King

RedDog
10-06-2006, 08:18 AM
blown bulb?

blueliner
10-06-2006, 09:31 AM
what kind of screws are on the hardware??? boat is at marina and want to bring down the right stuff... are they on the top or do they come in from under the deck?? thanks i'll clean contacts and inspect bulbs as well as look for a loose wire when i climb under there when i get home from work.

thanks

MOP
10-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Bring a volt meter, start at the switch to see if you have voltage. If you do check to see if the switch transfers the voltage to the two other poles, IE anchor and running positions. A common straight and Phillips will get you through.

P.S. If no juice at the switch, dirty/bad breaker/fuse!!
Phil

DonziJon
10-06-2006, 01:29 PM
what kind of screws are on the hardware??? boat is at marina and want to bring down the right stuff... are they on the top or do they come in from under the deck?? thanks i'll clean contacts and inspect bulbs as well as look for a loose wire when i climb under there when i get home from work.
thanks

Perko Lights: Three "small" Phillips head screws hold the running light housing on. I have this problem almost every season. Three minutes to remove the housing, roll the bulb around in the sockets to excersise/clean the contacts. The bulb is a wierd tubular type bulb looking much like a fuse. The bulb has never been the problem. The lights aren't very well sealed so the bulb contacts oxidize easily. John

MOP
10-06-2006, 07:00 PM
A good product to use on bulb contacts is "Pro Clean" it is a dielectric spray used on electrical connections and battery terminals, it completey stops any corrosion on terminals and keeps battery connections like new.

Phil

ATLDONZI
10-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Perko Lights: Three "small" Phillips head screws hold the running light housing on. I have this problem almost every season. Three minutes to remove the housing, roll the bulb around in the sockets to excersise/clean the contacts. The bulb is a wierd tubular type bulb looking much like a fuse. The bulb has never been the problem. The lights aren't very well sealed so the bulb contacts oxidize easily. John

its called a festoon bulb

yeller
10-06-2006, 08:01 PM
The lights aren't very well sealed so the bulb contacts oxidize easily. John
Coat the contact points with a dielectric grease. That'll solve your problems.

Blueliner, if you can hold off till I come over next week, I'll be able to solve your problem fairly quickly.

thriller
10-06-2006, 09:29 PM
The weather has been so nice here I think he wants to do some evening cruises with the Miss'es:wink:

I went in a fishing derby last week at the mouth of the Cap...No Fish but lots of Buds and the day was fantastic. Weigh in was at 1:30 and I pulled my line in at 1:15 (last Boat to do that) and blew past all the whalers and Trophies on my way to Sewells.. There was some envious firefighters that day..

blueliner
10-07-2006, 03:01 PM
thanks guys... you were right. looked like oxidation on the contacts of the bulb and gold contacts. scrapped off and works like a charm. thanks again

Douglas Dorsi
01-31-2007, 09:05 PM
I have Aronow #006. Navigation light was not connected under the bow. Just crawled in and hooked up the wire.

d1mbu1b
02-01-2007, 07:36 AM
A good product to use on bulb contacts is "Pro Clean" it is a dielectric spray used on electrical connections and battery terminals, it completey stops any corrosion on terminals and keeps battery connections like new.
Phil

Coat the contact points with a dielectric grease. That'll solve your problems.

I use it on everything, including the ignition system.

Also, automotive batery terminal spray is a red gummy spraypaint.
It works great on open connections, like the back of your dash or
on the starter and alternator. Just dont try to breath when spraying
in tight quarters.