PDA

View Full Version : Now wouldnt this be a wild ride!

smoothie
10-05-2006, 09:24 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sid-Craft-DU-outboard-racing-runabout-Mercury-55H_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63685QQihZ004QQitem Z140037234760QQrdZ1

rayjay
10-07-2006, 12:26 PM
My fifty-seven year old knees and back are aching just thinking about this ride! :wink: rayjay

Walt. H.
10-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Yeah maybe so,
But it sure does bring back fond memories of boat racing as a kid, and of course the reason why there isn't any cartilage left in my 54yr old left knee anymore. Ouch!:yes:

smoothie
10-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Yeah maybe so,
But it sure does bring back fond memories of boat racing as a kid, and of course the reason why there isn't any cartilage left in my 54yr old left knee anymore. Ouch!:yes:
Walt..heres some more memories for ya! check out the whole site,some neat old stuff.
http://www.infoblvd.net/sah/schubert.html

Walt. H.
10-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Thank you very much for the link, I just gave it a brief look and i'll have to devote some time to it tonight after work.

Gotta go for now and thanks again Smoothie!!

Walt:wavey:

Sam
10-16-2006, 01:00 PM
WOW :eek!: ! It makes me all tingly just looking at it. It has a similar look to the 'B" boat I had when I was a kid. Man is that a pretty boat / motor..................I think I'm in love :yes:. Thanks for posting the link.

smoothie
10-16-2006, 01:56 PM
WOW :eek!: ! It makes me all tingly just looking at it. It has a similar look to the 'B" boat I had when I was a kid. Man is that a pretty boat / motor..................I think I'm in love :yes:. Thanks for posting the link.
Sam...mama said "no" for an early christmas present:( see link,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=260040384034&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Sam
10-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Tell mama that if she let's you get it will be your last present. Oh by the way that 25 SS is perfect for your new toy. That one looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm pretty sure parts are still fairly easy to come by...........gosh maybe I'll go for it :eek!: .

Jerry Eisele
10-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Rick, If MAMA gives you the OK!........Nick said you're on your own, for Erie next year!!
That brings back some good times, as a kid,.. on Indian lake, 8" Minamost, with a Merc... 10HP:bonk:

smoothie
10-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Jerry...tell Nick that if he's lucky I will let him take it for a spin where we launch the boats..:boat:

smoothie
11-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Sam heres some pics of the Mark 25,I pick up Mark 55 this weekend:yes:

smoothie
11-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey Sam
Heres where Im at with my Bullet,,,Hows yours coming along???

Jerry Eisele
11-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Rick, That looks sweet! I ran a merc.super 10 on me 8' hydro, lots of fun!!!!!!:bonk:

Sam
11-28-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm still haven't decided on a boat yet. I have narrowed it down to a class C runabout which is aprox 13' long. My dilemma is weather to go old school style or step it up to a modern design. I may have found one that sort of gives me a little bit of both.

Beyond that I have no garage to build it in. I built a new 25 x 35 garage at the cottage but we had to move the cottage contents in to that while it gets rehabbed over the winter. Soooo I won't have a building until spring.

As for power I'm looking at either a Merc 35 or 45 XS race motor. I want to stay away from the Japanese and German motors, I think the Mercs look cooler anyway :wink:.

Walt. H.
11-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Wow that sure does look sweet as Jerry said, and a big thumbs up on how you rigged it to the jig to keep everything straight and square. Compared to how many we're built just laid upon saw horses.

I guess the word i'm looking for is Inspiring! Because what I see could already be called a work of art, it must be the appreciation of wood work that isn't there when working with today's fiberglass.

Keep posting pic's of your continuing progress,
Walt

Rootsy
11-29-2006, 07:37 AM
man you guys are killin me.... for some reason i prefer wood much more than fiberglass... must be the "itch" factor :wink:

Sam
11-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Geeez and I thought it was the PUCKER factor :eek!: :yes: .

Walt. H.
11-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Jamie,
That sounds like something Matty would say?:wink:

Wood is just more romantic for some..
Its like when Lenny showed pictures of his dad's hand crafted wood canoe, there was a greater jaw dropping WOW Factor, just because of seam fit & finish with the luster of the wood grain that you don't get with gel-koted glass.
I'm sure you'll have a greater affection to fondle a hand crafted XXX black walnut or tiger maple rifle stock and admire the look and feel much longer then you would a black textured stock that came out of an injection mold.
Fiber and polyplastics are here to stay, and most people today want a rifle or a boat only as a tool that is stronger and impervious to all weather conditions without having to be concerned about extra care or maintenance but there's something nostalgic and desirable about about seeing a mahogany plywood boat for those that we're born way before 1960.:yes:

And hey, Wood smells better then glass when it burns:biggrin.:

162 days left before launch day arrives again.:crossfing

LKSD
11-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Walt,
Nice pic of the C-C Cobra.. I've always liked how unique they are.. I had one in my hands years ago as a pattern boat for a rebuild.. Even backe then in that condition the guy got 20k for it!!! :eek!: :eek!: Last I checked they were bringing somerwhere around 100k for one of those babys.. They are really a neat ride. If my memory is correct it came in 2 sizes I think it was 18 & 21.. I think it also came with an optional cadillac v8.. Definitley a cool old ride! :) .. Jamie / Lakeside

Walt. H.
11-30-2006, 01:13 AM
Jamie,
To my knowledge you are 100% correct on all accounts, from price, available length and engine option, and if my memory is correct it had dual quads from the Cadi engine which was an available option on the 57-58 Eldorado.
Here are a few eye popping pic's from this years Point Pleasent NJ. Classic wood boat show that was sent to me from a friend of mine.
Walt

LKSD
11-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks Walt.. Nice pics here too.. There are some nice boats there.. Thanks for sharing :) Jamie

BTW: I have met the guy who owns Tiger a few years back at a show close to us.. However his name eludes me (I think it was jason?? But Im not sure).. It was a sharp C-C ..

Sam
11-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Walt, what's the story behind that Utility Runabout you posted. From that angel it looks like a Desilva. Is that and old C/D class ?

THX
Sam

Walt. H.
11-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Sam,
It was listed on E-Bay I believe sometime around this past Sept, and was the catalyt for a few to get that old nostalgic kneel on your knee's kit boat desire back again from our earlier days.

Except I only copied the photo.:bonk:

Walt

smoothie
11-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Walt, what's the story behind that Utility Runabout you posted. From that angel it looks like a Desilva. Is that and old C/D class ?
THX
Sam

Sam, thats a Sid-Craft DU you can still have one made today for a price...see my first post...it is still listed on ebay.

Walt. H.
11-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Opp's I guess I was off by a month.:bonk:
It was Oct not sept.

smoothie
11-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Walt...thanks I will keep the pics coming of my progress.Its been fun so far if ya like to build things,I purchased some plans from a fellow down under he worked with the Switzer brothers doing the cad drawings...he did a great job with em 3d solids and the whole works, but he didnt have the brothers do a final check on his design so I go and do a material list and start finding some problems with the drawings...so I did a search on switzercraft and Bob Switzer's phone no. came up...so what the heck I'll call the master! He is a great guy we talked for a while and he said that he drove the boats and that I needed to talk with his brother..hes the one who built em,So I talked with Dave Switzer and he send me some hand sketches of what I needed to change and add, plus some tips on how to bend things around and how to set-up the boat and motor.We have been sending emails back and forth talking about races and boats...here is one when we talked Donzi:

Rick,
She's a beauty!, and a keeper too.
It reminds me of my first experience taking a ride in an 18 Donzi when they were first introduced at the Chicago fall boat show. Donzi had a girl test driver assigned to take people out for demo rides, and boy was she a jocky. We left the harbor and went out into large lake Michigan waves, I'd say 3 to 4 footers and the boat just sliced right through that stuff, like warm butter.
There really is something to be said, about the 24 degree constant dead rise concept.
Happy Holidays,
Bob S

Walt. H.
11-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Wow you got lucky with a direct contact to The man himself.

Picture getting that kind of info and help 20-yr's ago, God bless the computer era!
If my itch ever turns into a scratch to build one, i'll be contacting ya if thats ok?

All the Best!
Walt

smoothie
12-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Rick, That looks sweet! I ran a merc.super 10 on me 8' hydro, lots of fun!!!!!!:bonk:

Jerry I had 2 super 10 hurricanes, ones in the bottom of portage lakes,my brother and I was "both" riding in our minimax when a chris went passed and hit us with his wake...the boat flipped and the motor flew off.:eek!:

Sam,,,what pucker factor,,this guy makes it look like a walk in the park!

Walt. H.
12-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Rick,
Now those are two very nice vintage rides, also I responded to your PM.

Just let me know? :yes:

Walt

LKSD
12-01-2006, 10:12 PM
While on the topic of wooden boats, you can see some of the ones we have worked on over the years on the page below. There is also about a 2 minute (optionally downloadable) clip of a few different ones running on this page.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Lakeside Restorations Wooden boats page (http://www.lakesiderestorations.com/index.jsp?id=118)

The wooden boats do have a classy elegance of thier own.. :)

smoothie
12-13-2006, 10:47 AM
All the stringers and bracing are in now comes the fun stuff...

Walt. H.
12-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Gosh Rick,
You're moving right along, in no time you'll be feeling the slap slap of the water passing under you.:crossfing
The really fun stuff will be when you're applying the wood stain and urethane.:yes:

Thanks for the view in more ways then one!

Walt

Sam
12-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Rick, did you have to steam any of the side frames to get them to turn and twist ?

Sam

smoothie
12-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Rick, did you have to steam any of the side frames to get them to turn and twist ?
Sam
No I just used some sweat and a pipe wrench:eek!: :yes:

smoothie
12-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Now Im puttin on the skin....

Walt. H.
12-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey Rick,
Did Santa bring the veneer pre-stained like wood paneling? LOL..

Looking good Bro,:yes:
Walt

Jerry Eisele
12-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Rick, That looks great! Keep us posted!:eek!:

smoothie
12-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Yes....Santa is good...Its ribbon cut mahagany with some mineral spirits...just had to see what it will look like finished...Im going to bleach the bottom when I get it fit.

Hey Rick,
Did Santa bring the veneer pre-stained like wood paneling? LOL..
Looking good Bro,:yes:
Walt

Sam
12-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Nice grain :) ...............your doing a great job Rick. I ordered my stuff today, should be about a month for delivery. He's going to send the plans for the jig now so I can be ready once the wood hits.

By the way nice garage, looks like a poster for "Better Homes and Garages" :yes:

Sam

Walt. H.
12-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Yes....Santa is good...Its ribbon cut mahagany with some mineral spirits...just had to see what it will look like finished...Im going to bleach the bottom when I get it fit.

Rick,
I figured thats what you used but hey I could have thought wrong.:bonk:

Sam you're getting into it too, damn these little mahogany boats are so infectiously contagious!:yes:

Heres a short video I sent Rick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zrUMcHRGBM&NR

Happy New Yr's to ya's All!:wavey:
Walt

Sam
12-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the thought Walt :yes: , I have the full length version and watch it all the time. With any luck I'll be there in 2007 if not 2008 for sure. There are a few other Mich marathons that I'm looking into if I don't make the Top O Mich race.

I need to get Rick to drag his gem to an antique race or two........right Rick. I'll be your pit boy :wink:. Rick, I burned a copy of the old race DVD's you sent me and gave them to Doug. We watched them the other day and about peeded our pants laughing, thanks again.

Sam

Walt. H.
12-29-2006, 12:25 PM
You guys "ROCK"!

Its good to see everything old is new again, now if we can only figure out how to do that with ourselves since we already have the mental part taken care of and you'll need to that driving those knee bangers.:jestera:

Walt

smoothie
01-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Sam,

I hope to,May take a summer to get it dialed in,not having good luck finding a speed prop for a 1956 fishing motor,now if it was a "H" motor no problem,The antique outboard club that I joined has a few meets also,they go and terrorize the small hp limit lakes, there's a guy there with a D class and a KG-9 already gunning for me...LOL! should be fun.

Walt,
Im going to have a bench seat with a lot of padding,:crossfing, I started this project for just something to do this winter and for the kids to have fun with,now I think Im going to have more fun with this boat than my other one this summer!

Walt. H.
01-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Happy New Yr Rick,

Yes I hear that and completely understand, everytime I get or start playing with a new project all my other stuff wind up taking a back seat for a while including my wife. :rlol:

But it sure is nice to have a variety, since a boat is nothing more then a tool to enjoy and have fun with and the more the merrier or better, once we get past the religious conviction we have for them.:bonk: :rolleyes:
LOL!
Walt

smoothie
01-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Bottoms done,now comes the topside...
Sam,
Attached is a pic of my heating system that we talked about.

Walt. H.
01-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Rick,
As always, its continuing to look better & better.

Did you find or get all the required hardware you'll need including the bottom racing fin, or are you going to have something custom made?:crossfing

Walt

smoothie
01-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I have about everything but the Deadman throttle,can buy a new one but hoping for an old Keller to show up on ebay,and some of the steering parts I will make at work.

smoothie
03-02-2007, 11:52 AM
See Walt....I've been busy...Sent the seat pcs to my Amish friend and started on the mark 55, lower unit needs rebuild just ordered all the parts for it.

Walt. H.
03-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Holy Moly Rick!!,

It looks to good to get wet, I especially like the stylish way you cut the dash out.

I've been a little busy to but not like you, i'm not sure if I had sent you pic's of my bottom fin after welding, I finally got around to grinding the edges and polished everything.
Ps;
Its made out of some scrap stainless my brother had and the flange was slotted so that the fin could be fitted into it and welded on three sides so that it wasn't just butt welded to the flange on two sides.

Gotta go, i'll catcha later,
Walt

Walt. H.
03-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Here's the other side of the fin to show how I slotted the flange and welded it on three sides.
Now I return you to your original post un-hi-jacked thread, sorry about that.:yes: .
Walt

smoothie
04-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Heres the finished shape...now just putting on the coats of luster.

Walt. H.
04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
OH' BOY Rick what a beauty!,
Now I really can't wait to see it completely rigged especially seeing it with that speedmaster lower unit and a two bladded prop.

Very cool! :yes:

After studying the 5th photo, I started to imagine you scaling the dimensions up to about 25 feet with a deep vee bottom - a 650 S.C eng & Mercury XR stern drv lower unit, now that would be a great follow up if the money was available.

You really did a Sweet Job!

MOP
04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Rick it has turned fantastic, do you have a vintage engine to topp off the package?

smoothie
04-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Walt,,,believe me I already entertained the thought of a longer,deep vee,inboard would be easy to scale because I have the drawings in Autocad.

Phil,,,thanks! I have a 1956 mercury mark 55 to put on her...

Walt. H.
04-11-2007, 01:04 PM
OH Boy!
Evil Thoughts, I like that:crossfing:

smoothie
04-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Please Walt....dont get me started...LOL!

Walt. H.
04-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Sorry Rick, and word pad will not open any graphics for me and the document page came up blank. Maybe you could just e-mail me if there was a photo you wanted to show me.

Sorry also for hi-jacking this post also.
Walt

smoothie
04-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Walt...open it with Microsoft Word...hi-jacking??? what hi-jacking??? you worry to much! LOL!

Walt. H.
04-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks Rick,
I forget Matty boy isn't here to point out and police my error's.

Microsoft word is what it switched to when I tried to open it and all I got was their format page but it was blank.

smoothie
06-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Almost there Walt...Almost...Going for a title and tags this Saturday...need to wire the trailer and Im all set:yes: Started the motor yesterday fired up on the 3rd pull:) :boat:

Walt. H.
06-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Oh' Boy Rick!
She looks so good, its almost a shame to get her wet. LOL!
Best of luck taking care of the paper work.

Walt

smoothie
07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Sorry Walt but I just had to get her wet to see if I had any leaks:eek!: :D Still playing with transom height and props but what a blast! Now if I can remember my gps next time out.

trippledigits
07-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey Sam
Heres where Im at with my Bullet,,,Hows yours coming along???Your other boat in the back ground is that a challanger Hull?

Walt. H.
07-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Rick,
Its absolutely stunning in the water, and thats what it was built for. I was only teasing when I said it looks to good to get wet.
Hey?
I was on the site when you posted shortly after noon time and I was putting this basic reply on to answer you, but when I hit the submit button the site went down and kept coming up "Donzi Net ERROR". So now that i'm home from work I figured to try again, hopefully this time it goes thru?:crossfing:

Anyway I hope you get it tracking as good as it looks!
It sure is Purdy, and I see you splurged for a comfy interior they would have killed for back in the 50's!:yes:

Catcha Later,
Walt

smoothie
07-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Your other boat in the back ground is that a challanger Hull?

Tripple...no its a 1978 20' cigarette.

trippledigits
07-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Tripple...no its a 1978 20' cigarette.
Have you every seen a challenger hull its looks esaclty the same. My friend has one same color even. His is pretty fast 81 mph Gps but he drives on the wrong side of the boat.

smoothie
07-09-2007, 11:37 AM
I dont think so,post some pics if ya have em,what kinda power is he running? I run 73 mph with a 454 425hp,but Ive seen other 20 cigs with 502's run in the mid to upper 80's.

trippledigits
07-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I dont think so,post some pics if ya have em,what kinda power is he running? I run 73 mph with a 454 425hp,but Ive seen other 20 cigs with 502's run in the mid to upper 80's.
Wont dont you think? I will take some pics of his boat when I get the chance. He runs a Scott Shaferoff 434 small block its only making 612hp on pump gas

smoothie
07-09-2007, 07:59 PM
LOL! I dont think I ever saw a challenger hull...sorry about that!

trippledigits
07-09-2007, 08:42 PM
LOL! I dont think I ever saw a challenger hull...sorry about that! It looks just like yours im telling you, same color and everything I think his is 22 feet long thow and his is a 78 challenger hull. Back in the day they probly all copied every body. I will get pics for you as soon as I can

smoothie
09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I have a video for ya Walt..was at the antique outboard meet,its a black and white camera and no sound,next meet he is bringing a movie camera,was a lot of fun! boat feels like it needs more hp:yes:
http://www.salemhillsgolf.com/Test/1.AVI

Sam
09-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Just a quick pic of my C runabout, Smoothie and I are going to try to get together sooner or later for a little fun :eek!:

Walt. H.
09-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Rick,
You've been to good to me with all the dvd's & e-mails, I wish I had something of value to reciprocate back to you with.

Sam,
your's also looks likes its loaded for bear!:yes:

smoothie
09-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Walt you enjoying the sport is good enough for me...

Sam....I hope sooner than later...its supposed to get down to 38 degrees tonite:eek!:

DonziFreak
09-16-2007, 12:55 PM
sam, i see you race with APBA, what region are you in? i don't run the kneel-downs, i run OPC, but it's always cool to watch any race!

Sam
09-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Region 6, I live in Mich.

DonziFreak
09-16-2007, 04:35 PM
no ****? you know Chris Hagerl?

Sam
09-17-2007, 05:41 PM
I met him this past summer at the Top O Mich marathon race, he races B runabout. I believe he lives up that way in Alinson.

DonziFreak
09-17-2007, 06:28 PM
i think he's in Brutus? anyways, we race him on the OPC circuit in SST-45, his sister owns our old boat!

Sam
09-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Green boat ?

DonziFreak
09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
both he and his sister have yellow and green on their boats, but his sister's 45 has carbon fiber decks, which i made back when we still owned it out of a balsa wood template...haha!
he on the other hand has a boat that is green on one side, and yellow on the other....with a white stripe down the center, im not sure about this kneel-downs...i think hes number 3-M

Walt. H.
09-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Walt you enjoying the sport is good enough for me...
Sam....I hope sooner than later...its supposed to get down to 38 degrees tonite:eek!:

What can I say Rich,
But "Hell Yeah!"

And thanks again..:yes:

smoothie
03-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Just a quick pic of my C runabout, Smoothie and I are going to try to get together sooner or later for a little fun :eek!:
Soooo....Sammy....when are we getting together and have some fun!:wink::)

Sam
03-30-2008, 03:14 PM
You dog you :doh:...............your a sick man. OMG that is absolutely beautiful, call me soon.

Jealous Friend :wink:

smoothie
03-31-2008, 03:24 PM
The clamp assembly with the trim cylinder is from a Mercury Force,the mid-section and lower unit is a 1957 Mercury Mark 58 and the Powerhead is a 1967 Merc 650:lightning:lightning...kinda carved it all together.

smoothie
08-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Just an update with the Merc 650 in command :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o1rZqJYubE