PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Awakening of the Horses Dates

boldts
10-05-2006, 04:24 PM
OK, due to over-whelming response to keep the Awakening at Lake Cumberland, that is where the gathering will be held in 2007.
The next order of business is which date to hold it on. We have 2 weekends available to us at the Jamestown Resort.

The first would be our normal weekend before the Memorial Day weekend. 5/17 thru 5/20 2007. One problem we've found with this weekend is that the local Donzi dealer (Alton Blakley) on Lake Cumberland has an inwater boat show that is held at Lee's Ford Marina where we go for lunch on Friday. Just noting this for your information so that you know last year the boat show kept them from participating with our group. (I personally would have loved a ride in their new Shelby 22 that was at the show. Not to mention, the 38ZR that was also there.)

The other weekend open to us is the 2nd weekend in June. 6/7 thru 6/10 2007.
Now, something to consider about the June weekend. Rates at the resort will be higher and also, it's the weekend right before the weekend of the Dust-off. I'm adding a pole to this thread if I can figure out how to make it work and I'll let those who want to attend vote for the weekend. One of my personal concerns about the June weekend is that it may be to close to the Dust-off weekend.

So, give me your thoughts and votes and we'll set it up from there.

RedDog
10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I like the poll results so far leaning toward June - the earlier date interfers with end of school timeframes

Plus June means less logs and warmer weather and water

Dr. Dan
10-05-2006, 08:26 PM
:cool!: Scott...IMO, have the Event when it is convenient for the Event to be held...DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE DUSTOFF!!! I can promise you the DustOff does not worry about any other Event...Trust Me!

Fact is other than Schumacher & Me last year...no one who attends the Dustoff brought their boat to Cumberland... and I have done many back to back Events...it's not a Deterent IMO. Next year I plan on bringing about 6 Boats including Schumacher(Undertaker) & Me.... so don't worry about us at the DustOff. The Dustoff is 7.5 hours away...Lake Cumberland is closer to 14 hours.

I just got back from Sota, where it was 19 hours one way...I did that in less than 4 days Start to Finish...had an awesome time. Don't sacrifice your Event for the convenience or schedule of another...ever! If peeps wanna come they will come...period.

We're all Big People here...we can handle it! I will bring even more stuff for next year...I am starting to stock up now. June also gives everyone another 10 days or so to finish the last minute items prior to Splashing!

Be Well Keep The Faith!

Doc of the Bay :smash:

vrod02
10-05-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm glad you desided against L.O.T.O.Its more "midwest" but its to cumbersome.

BigGrizzly
10-06-2006, 01:59 AM
Vrtod02, you said it wrong the midwest IS Cumberland!!! Either is fine with me. Like Doc said, no one wories when they hold an event. Your the only one who cares about the other guy. Your a good friend and a great help for me in my home and are welcom anytime. Next time less work and more play.

DonziChick
10-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I am for keeping it the weekend before Memorial if at all possible. I have a wedding that I am the maid of honor in May 5th, so I'd like to not have to tell her I won't be at her wedding. :yes:

boldts
10-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Elizabeth - We're considering June 7th thru 10th....Not the weekend of May 5th. Maybe you ment June?

FlynLow
10-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Which weekend do the log's go on hiatus?:hyper:

synack
10-07-2006, 05:06 AM
June would be better since there would probably be less trees in the water too...

ITTLFLI
10-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Lake Cumberland is my "home" lake.

The logs that keep being brought up are really not that big of a deal. Yes they are worse in the spring then they are in the late summer. I will tell you though that they are still there in June! Changing the date will not solve the wood issue.

In fact what happens is when we get a rain storm it washes them all into the lake (This happened last weekend at Cumberland!!). Sometimes they are there in the morning.......and washed to the shore by noon!

It just the nature of the lake! Just like sand bars and salt are the nature of FL boating!

Just thought I would shed some light on this since it seems to be brought up a lot.

Byron :boat:

Magicallbill
10-07-2006, 11:04 AM
ITTLFLI;

They are not a big deal until you hit one..
I have boated down there for 20 years,and believe me, some are just below the surface, waterlogged.
I was gonna take the time off if the party went to The Ozarks.
As much as I want to meet Scott Boldts,you, show Jerry Eisele my 16, it takes the fun out of the experience for me, CONSTANTLY watching for those things.
Whenever you decide on the date, I've found that they are more infrequent as you go west toward Grider and the dam. Heading East toward Connelly Bottoms they are worse.. I've seen 'em thick just outside the idle bouys in the Jamestown Harbor.

ITTLFLI
10-07-2006, 09:16 PM
ITTLFLI;
They are not a big deal until you hit one..
I have boated down there for 20 years,and believe me, some are just below the surface, waterlogged.
I was gonna take the time off if the party went to The Ozarks.
As much as I want to meet Scott Boldts,you, show Jerry Eisele my 16, it takes the fun out of the experience for me, CONSTANTLY watching for those things.
Whenever you decide on the date, I've found that they are more infrequent as you go west toward Grider and the dam. Heading East toward Connelly Bottoms they are worse.. I've seen 'em thick just outside the idle bouys in the Jamestown Harbor.

MB,

I realize you do have to watch for them. Its the nature of the lake anymore. I have boated there for 30 yrs and when they stopped allowing people have bon fires on shore we saw and increase in the debris.

You are correct....its not bad at all towards the dam.

Bottom line is these things are about the great people you meet!!! Take some time and come on down! You can ride in my boat when we head to Lees ford for lunch!:wink:

BigGrizzly
10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Bill, just follow me. I 'll split them and you stack them!

Magicallbill
10-08-2006, 02:18 AM
Ha!!
You guys are great!!
This is one of the reasons I love this site..

ITTLFLI..
I didn't know that they outlawed shore fires..Awhile back, we could never find a campsite that had ANY wood at all..Previous camper/houseboaters had picked the sites clean. That would certainly account for the increase in debris if they stopped the fires..

GRIZZ..
Your WAY too cool...

OK..You all pick the weekend,and I'll see about making it down..NO promises, if big gigs come up, we must perform them,but I'll talk to my agent..
I'll be gun-shy about runnin' the lake, but I want to meet and hang with all of you,and participate in the event. These things sound like a blast;I've been reading about 'em for a long time here on the registry.
ITTLFLI, I'm holding you to the Lees Ford offer.You drive, I'll kick back..

ITTLFLI
10-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Ha!!

ITTLFLI, I'm holding you to the Lees Ford offer.You drive, I'll kick back..

DEAL!:biggrin: :beer:

vrod02
10-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Vrtod02, you said it wrong the midwest IS Cumberland!!! Either is fine with me. Like Doc said, no one wories when they hold an event. Your the only one who cares about the other guy. Your a good friend and a great help for me in my home and are welcom anytime. Next time less work and more play.
Calling Mexico part of North America would make more sense.:wink:

DonCig
10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I want the dates of 6-7 to 6-10; and I have the pictures, jetsom, floatsom and whatever else you want to call it to support my single lone vote!

Sam
10-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Dam, I was wondering what happened to my spare :eek!: .

smoothie
10-10-2006, 02:34 PM
I want the dates of 6-7 to 6-10; and I have the pictures, jetsom, floatsom and whatever else you want to call it to support my single lone vote!
you better make it the end of July begining of August if you dont want any floaters, 2 weeks wont make a difference...

Magicallbill
10-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Smoothie is correst..
Even in July/Aug. they can be there..I put a long scratch on the bottom of my Grady-White in early Aug.'03..Made me so mad I haven't boated there since.

Just have the mindset that it'll be great fun, cool people,and you'll just have to watch out..No other choice.

I'm gonna take my 16,if I can get away,and ride around with ITTLFLI and whoever. My boat will stay at the Jamestown dock the whole time.

I think we should all toast to Scott Boldts for the herculean task of doing this every year...I'm sure glad it isn't me.....

DonCig
10-11-2006, 09:40 AM
You know what AOTH and Lake Cumberland need going foward?

1. Start a local charity drive to clean out the lake every spring, I mean a whole community, mayor and the likes, all the local businesses and lastly the Corps of Engineers. The Corps agrees to haul all debris off site or burn it, all the local boaters and boat dealers and marinas offer some pontoon boats to do the dragging. And then every body benefits for the rest of the season except for 2 groups, the guy at the top of the hill who makes a great living selling replacement outdrives and my fiberglass guy that gets to fill in all the scratches in my hull after I return from Cumberland every year.

2. Move the dates of AOTH to June so it can be more of a family vacation week rather than a fast and furious weekend.

The location and the size of the lake make for a great venue, the trash in the lake is an embarassment to the Corps and a real safety issue.

OK, I am off my soap box now.

Don

DonziChick
10-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I really think AOTH is fine the way it is. People have been attending and having a good time for 6 years. 6 YEARS!!! Surely we've done something right to have it go that long and have people come back every year.

DAULEY
10-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Cant have any more wood in than the ohio river
just watch and drive safely
it was a slolom coarse on sat the trees were everywhere

Magicallbill
10-11-2006, 02:01 PM
You know what AOTH and Lake Cumberland need going foward?
1. Start a local charity drive to clean out the lake every spring, I mean a whole community, mayor and the likes, all the local businesses and lastly the Corps of Engineers. The Corps agrees to haul all debris off site or burn it, all the local boaters and boat dealers and marinas offer some pontoon boats to do the dragging. And then every body benefits for the rest of the season except for 2 groups, the guy at the top of the hill who makes a great living selling replacement outdrives and my fiberglass guy that gets to fill in all the scratches in my hull after I return from Cumberland every year.
2. Move the dates of AOTH to June so it can be more of a family vacation week rather than a fast and furious weekend.
The location and the size of the lake make for a great venue, the trash in the lake is an embarassment to the Corps and a real safety issue.
OK, I am off my soap box now.
Don
DonCig;
You have the right idea, and they already do it..
Problem is it's after Labor Day, not at the beginning of the season when it needs to be.
They pick up trash,etc. instead of spring logs.
I would love it to be during the week at some point, but I'm gonna try to make this one whenever it is 'cause I really want to meet everyone and hang out. As I said I'll be a passenger most of the time. I'll hit a log for sure otherwise.
My vote; As late in June as possible(Downside to that is I won't be able to meet MadPoodle..That sucks..)

Magicallbill
10-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Adjustment to above post.
Jason just checked our schedule;our only open dates are May 18th&19th. If it can be that weekend, we'll block it off and not book anything. If it's not good for the majority, obviously, that's more important, and we understand.

Jerry Eisele
10-15-2006, 06:08 AM
Those dates are currently reserved for AOTH 2007, docks:) , boat club:pizza: , rooms:lookaroun , cabins, etc.etc.etc. .
I hope we can move forward on this event, so Don and Scott can start posting the details on their new, June or July LOTO event. That sounds like a GREAT idea.

Dr. Dan
10-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Those dates are currently reserved for AOTH 2007, docks:) , boat club:pizza: , rooms:lookaroun , cabins, etc.etc.etc. .
I hope we can move forward on this event, so Don and Scott can start posting the details on their new, June or July LOTO event. That sounds like a GREAT idea.

:spongebob OK So Do We Have A Firm Decision on these Dates?

I am making out my 2007 Travel Schedule....I have no Dog in this fight...

I just wanna know when it is so I can plan accordingly?

Don & Scott let us all know about your LOTO Event?

Inquiring Mind?

Doc :eek!: :wavey:

boldts
10-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Gang,

AOTH 2007 will be May 17, 18, 19 and 20th. The Jamestown Resort in Jamestown, KY is our home base. They have set aside rooms and cabins for our gathering. Just tell them you are with the May Donzi gathering when making your reservations.

So, unless people who have no interest in our gathering at all voted to keep the gathering away from the other date, the poll shows 30 boats coming. Hope this is a true indication because I work hard along with so many friends behind the scenes to make this gathering the best we can for everyone attending.

Mark it on your calanders and make your reservations. While the Jamestown Resort is our home base, The Lake Cumberland State Park is just across the inlet and offers in my opinion just as nice a place to stay. They have a nicer launch ramp if you would like to only reserve a dock at Jamestown and drive back and forth from the state park. It will add about 15 minutes to your morning and evening in travel time back and forth or if you want, you can pull your boat out each night and launch each morning. Just another option for you if you desire.

Take care all and I look forward to seeing as many friends as are able to gather with us next year.

Carl C
10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
I didn't vote because I don't know if I can make it, but including 2 weekdays makes it a lot more attractive. I hope to see everyone there!:boat:

DonCig
10-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Will Paul Bunyon and His Big Blue Ox will be there?

If I go really fast can I just skip over the logs?

Is this the real reason that Mercury deleloped the Blackhawk Drive?

And will Todd really join Ducks Unlimited?

Questions to ponder.

Don

smoothie
10-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Will Paul Bunyon and His Big Blue Ox will be there?
If I go really fast can I just skip over the logs?
Is this the real reason that Mercury deleloped the Blackhawk Drive?
And will Todd really join Ducks Unlimited?
Questions to ponder.
Don

I dont know about Paul Bunyon,but Big Grizzly will be...and he said he would split em if we can stack em so Im stackin em...so where are you going to be:wink:

DonCig
10-28-2006, 08:21 AM
I dont know about Paul Bunyon,but Big Grizzly will be...and he said he would split em if we can stack em so Im stackin em...so where are you going to be:wink:

I found that the safest place to be on Cumberland if you are in a boat is in the # 2 position from the lead. Need I explain why?

Don