PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a good boat repair shop near Detroit.

Carl C
10-05-2006, 09:41 AM
So far the closest thing I can find is a Donzi dealer near Cincinnatti. Can anyone recommend anything closer to the Detroit area or northern suburbs? Thanks.:crossfing

Ranman
10-05-2006, 10:24 AM
K&M Marine on Telegraph in Redford seems to do good work. I had some fiberglass reparied on my Donzi several years ago and you absolutly cannot tell where the damage was.

Additionally, a buddy of mine hit some rocks with a Bravo Three twin SS prop setup. K&M worked with the insurance company (Progressive actuially) and got them to replace not only ther props, but the whole lower unit.

While K&M is not a Donzi dealer, I thihk they would be able to help you out.

Talk to Gary, he is the service manager. Good luck.

Carl C
10-05-2006, 02:11 PM
K&M Marine on Telegraph in Redford seems to do good work. I had some fiberglass reparied on my Donzi several years ago and you absolutly cannot tell where the damage was.
Additionally, a buddy of mine hit some rocks with a Bravo Three twin SS prop setup. K&M worked with the insurance company (Progressive actuially) and got them to replace not only ther props, but the whole lower unit.
While K&M is not a Donzi dealer, I thihk they would be able to help you out.
Talk to Gary, he is the service manager. Good luck.Thanks, I talked with another member on the phone who saw your post and verified that they have a good rep. It looks like it'll go to K&M next week. Tony, I appreciate your looking up the Donzi dealer info for me but if I can do this locally it'll be a lot easier.

Ranman
10-05-2006, 05:04 PM
K&M has a good service department and Gary is a good guy to work with. You may be in a holding pattern though as I'm sure they have hit their busy time of the year. LEt me know what they say.

Carl C
10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
They said they'd prep the estimate right away so we could get the ball rolling. Obviously there's no hurry now. I won't get it there til next week. Will post updates.:alligator

Magicallbill
10-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Carl, that's sad about the boat.
Get it done right over the winter,and you, Ranman, Red Dog, myself,and maybe some others will do a mid-week boat-fest next summer like we discussed.

Carl C
10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Carl, that's sad about the boat.
Get it done right over the winter,and you, Ranman, Red Dog, myself,and maybe some others will do a mid-week boat-fest next summer like we discussed. You got it! Week-day boating is so much more enjoyable!:yes:

Carl C
10-18-2006, 11:08 AM
After a little break to research a new marina and do some fall chores and wait for a break in the rain (and snow!), I finally got my boat to K&M Marine. Now I wait for them to prep the estimate and the fun part of dealing with the insurance will begin again:( . I put on my $100 clearance K-mart boat cover for the first time and it's pretty darn good quality (not sunbrella though). It fits well and covers the "Donzi" lettering so hopefully no thieves will spot my boat and get any funny ideas. I will post up-dates as things unfold. For those who don't know; my boat was rearended in tow and suffered over $11,000 damage to the drive assy.:mad:

Ranman
10-18-2006, 01:12 PM
After a little break to research a new marina and do some fall chores and wait for a break in the rain (and snow!), I finally got my boat to K&M Marine. Now I wait for them to prep the estimate and the fun part of dealing with the insurance will begin again:( . I put on my $100 clearance K-mart boat cover for the first time and it's pretty darn good quality (not sunbrella though). It fits well and covers the "Donzi" lettering so hopefully no thieves will spot my boat and get any funny ideas. I will post up-dates as things unfold. For those who don't know; my boat was rearended in tow and suffered over $11,000 damage to the drive assy.:mad:

Glad to hear you got it down there. K&M does good work. I'm assuming you're hooked up with Gary as your contact person. Let us know how it turns out.

Magicallbill
10-19-2006, 02:11 AM
Carl;
I'll bet it is reassuring at least to know the process has begun..
I have my 18 Scorpion winterized at Bald Knob Marina (where I bought it) North of Chicago..
As I went home on 94 thru downtown, every time I got caught in a back-up, I thought about your boat, and hoped it wouldn't happen to me.
Good luck,

MB....

Carl C
10-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Carl;
I'll bet it is reassuring at least to know the process has begun..
I have my 18 Scorpion winterized at Bald Knob Marina (where I bought it) North of Chicago..
As I went home on 94 thru downtown, every time I got caught in a back-up, I thought about your boat, and hoped it wouldn't happen to me.
Good luck,
MB....Actually it's not reassuring! I dread the headaches that are almost certain to come and I hate seeing that empty spot in my garage where my favorite toy should be. Thanks for the kind words though. I'd also like to build a drive guard but don't know if it can be done. I'd also like to cover it with foot long spikes!:smash:Ranman, yes I am dealing with Gary, the service manager.

Carl C
11-03-2006, 10:02 AM
My insurance adjuster just called and they have approved the repairs to my boat. The gear case will be replaced, not welded. Gary at K&M really went to bat for me. This is an impressive shop and they are keeping my boat indoors. These repairs should be done in a couple of weeks. Now I'm still awaiting approval for the warranty hull repairs and mods. Gary is also handling that.:crossfing

yeller
11-03-2006, 10:48 AM
That's good news Carl. How about the prop...new or repaired?

Carl C
11-03-2006, 11:00 AM
That's good news Carl. How about the prop...new or repaired? I'm not sure on that. I've put a lot of faith in Gary to get the job done right. I've told him my concerns about the type of impact that the prop took and possible damage to the hub.

Ranman
11-03-2006, 12:46 PM
I just went to K&M over my lunch hour to get my winterizing supplies. Gary and I talked a little about your boat. He was a bit miffed at what what was going on at Orion Marine and said that so far Progressive has been very easy for him to deal with. You should be in good shape.