PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Head Shop in Atl. area

FlynLow
10-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Looking for a good performance head shop around the Gainesville GA area. Have Vortec's that need spring and seat mod.'s. Possibly enlargening Valves if advised. Time to start preparing for the winter upgrade to Roller Cam. Thanks, Jim

ATLDONZI
10-04-2006, 09:42 AM
contact the guys at year one to see who they use. yera one is in braselton which is close to gainsvegas

BigGrizzly
10-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Contact Grimes Auto Machine shop phone 770-475-5272 fax 770-667-6564. he does alot of Winston cup and ASA stuff. The stuff that leaves his shop is fonamal. His dad is in the drag racing hall of fame and he has had a number of rechord holders. He does my stuff. Nothing leaves his shop half ars, it is always right.

Ted Guldemond
10-04-2006, 11:36 AM
If you opt for larger valves on a vortec, make sure the shop deshouds the combustion chambers. 2.02/1.60 valves on a vortec will actually hurt performance without opening the space between the valve and the vertical wall on the combustion chamber.

mikev
10-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Contact Grimes Auto Machine shop phone 770-475-5272 fax 770-667-6564. he does alot of Winston cup and ASA stuff. The stuff that leaves his shop is fonamal. His dad is in the drag racing hall of fame and he has had a number of rechord holders. He does my stuff. Nothing leaves his shop half ars, it is always right.

I second this one. All I have ever heard is good things about these guys. from everyone that has ever used them and I have lived in this area for over 20 years and they have been around longer than that.

FlynLow
10-04-2006, 01:31 PM
If you opt for larger valves on a vortec, make sure the shop deshouds the combustion chambers. 2.02/1.60 valves on a vortec will actually hurt performance without opening the space between the valve and the vertical wall on the combustion chamber.

I"ve read the same thing in other sites. That porting or going large on valves won't necessarly generate more HP due to the design of the head. I would consider something like opening the EX to 1.55 and IN 2.00 either or both if significant gains would be achieved. I had "camel humps" done by Crane many years ago and for a street/strip app. they kept the 1.94 and opened EX to 1.60. Just wondering if doing modest valve sizing would improve flow. Jim

Ted Guldemond
10-04-2006, 02:33 PM
If your running a 350ci. vs a 383, and considering we're generally restricted to an rpm of 54-5500. I think I would save the money and keep the stock valves. Put the money into a 5 angle valve job and a dead flat deck surface on the heads. (Unless your valves are shot and you need new valves anyway.) Maybe some beehive springs? I hear you don't need to machine the spring pockets with these??

BUIZILLA
10-04-2006, 02:43 PM
If your running a 350ci. vs a 383, and considering we're generally restricted to an rpm of 54-5500. I think I would save the money and keep the stock valves. Put the money into a 5 angle valve job and a dead flat deck surface on the heads. (Unless your valves are shot and you need new valves anyway.) Maybe some beehive springs? I hear you don't need to machine the spring pockets with these??excellent advice, that's EXACTLY what I would do, and plan to do in the future, on my 18's Vortec heads.

JH

FlynLow
10-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Still a few good boating days left on Lake Lanier. Still using boat for cruising 3500 tops. Know it's sick but trying to enjoy before the overhaul coming up soon. Probably going Roller because even with Beehives some machine may be needed for lift. So might as well just go all the way. Crane recommended #119831, the same roller that was used in High Performance Chev. "King Vortec" and it produced good #'s for the boats use. Jim

FlynLow
10-04-2006, 03:18 PM
About the Boat: 89' 2+3 Classic, 82' 350+30, AED 4150 750cfm, RPM Air Gap, DUI ign., Comp. XM270H, Comp. narrow body 1.5 Rollers, Vortec's w/ screw- in's + Guide's, K+N, Eddie Long Tubes. Good set up but think a lot more is available in valve train.Ted, you were right on about guide plates not needing self align. rockers so it appears damage is probably minimal [springs].

Ted Guldemond
10-04-2006, 05:12 PM
I run a 119831 cam in my St. Tropez. 383ci, vortecs, airgap, Holley 750,1:1.5 rockers, stock mercruiser exhaust to 4" pipes. It's a little too loppy at idle, but it does idle to 500rpm with (if memory serves) around 15-16inchs of vacuum. I don't yet know what top end is, as i run a Volvo 280 with cable steering. It starts to get squirrely around 50. Hydraulic external steering is the winter project. In retrospect if I had to do it again I think I might go with a little less cam. Extra lift and duration only move your powerband above a useful rpm for an I/O. It also shortens life span. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's more about torque than high rpm HP.

FlynLow
10-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Envy the 383. Don't mind the lope. The 18 is rather light so sacrifice of torque for HP is acceptable. I like to run the Alpha up to 5500. The 270 gives about 18# at 700. Can change timing from 10 to 16 degrees without start up problems. This set up has always been turn key. I've contacted by Email a few cam comp.'s and Crane has been the only response.Ted, they suggested your cam. It gives near 400 hp with and over 400 torque where needed in a 350. The #'s can only be better in your case [383]. Are you roller block? If not what work was required for for the roller? As for steering, stock hydr. with Sidewinder. Feel torque pull but not enough to feel I'm going for a swim with Turbo 23, 25, and Vector 24.

BigGrizzly
10-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Flynlow where do you live around Atlanta. We need to get together with all ythe Donzi-ites on Lanier. My phone is 770-318-1136. I live up by War Hill park, just south of Gainsville off Hy 53 by 400 about 7 miles from bolling Bridg Marine by road and 4 miles by water. Like to meet you.

Ted Guldemond
10-05-2006, 01:22 PM
FlynLow, My block is a two bolt early 80's, bored .030, decked .025, nothing special. I'm running no-name hydraulic roller lifters with the pivot bar that connects two lifters together. I got them from Summit Racing. The name brand ones I thought were too expensive for what you get. Regarding hydraulic steering, what is a Sidewinder?

FlynLow
10-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Hey Grizz it's me the younger half of the Jim and Jimmy team with the 18 Red + White sporting the Scoop. Tried waiting for you and Boltz but had to keep testing. Maybe next time. BTW Beautiful Dock!!! Ted, the Sidewinder from Drew Marine is a stabilizer that bolts from transom to outdrive to dampen torque steer and prevent sudden turning if steering fails. We figure it probably reduced at least 50% of our torque steer. It's cost is a few hundred compared to a few grand for Hyd. steering. No substitute, but, a piece of mind if bad things were to happen.

FlynLow
10-06-2006, 06:19 PM
After further cam research the Roller retro fit is not "Budget Friendly". Have hopes of a 383 if anything were to go on the bottom end. Chances are the dream motor would already be roller and there would be expensive parts that couldn't be used. Now looking at maybe Lunati's Voodoo #60102. Seems to have good #'s for a Hydr. Think I'll run a post, see if anyone tried it. Thanks for the help. Grizz, you suggested Grimes and I'll probably contact them as soon as I know what I'm going to run. Thanks again.

BigGrizzly
10-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Garry would know everything about the Voodo cam since he does alot of work with lutani.