PDA

View Full Version : Lenny, Speeds For My 16 Are IN.....

Magicallbill
10-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Sorry it took so long..
Since I don't have a GPS, I borrowed a Radar Gun from a local Police Officer.
Jason held the gun,read the speeds, and I drove..

here it is....

62MPH at 4800 RPM..

Remember, that isn't wide-open,. as I won't take a chance on blowing the Volvo.
She'd turn up to 5000-plus,and without Jason in the boat, and less gas(we ran with full-fuel) I would speculate that it would hit 64-65 or so wide-open.

Specs again,in case you forgot..
Volvo 280-upper
Volvo 250-lower
Grizz's 23 Solas Prop.
347 CID Ford Racing engine;397 HP at 5950 RPM.

Oh yeah, we were running with the drive in the middle slot for the manual trim adjustment. I would firewall the thing and see just what it would do, but I blew apart the 250-top that came with the boat prop-testing the thing, so I'm a little gun-shy.
Grizz, if your reading this, get with me, I'd like to get another 23 Solas just like I have: we might use it on Jason's red 16,and if not, I'd like a spare in case I ding this one.
Restrictions are however much the Volvo slows it down,and I had mufflers installed..(It was as loud as the Who at Woodstock without 'em.) I guess the mufflers cost us some HP.
Anyway, there you go..

MB

Rootsy
10-04-2006, 08:15 AM
nice numbers bill :)

BigGrizzly
10-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Bill, I am reading this. We can hook you up. Don't be too afraid of the drive blowing up. I am interested in how well the boat handled, we put alot of time in that prop design. It isn't easy to do it all, handling, speed and low slip. Just so you know your numbers are the same as mine, 62 mph at 4800 rpms. This means that at 5500 rpm your flat flying at right on 70mph. When I talked to Randy he had it at 5500, so you mad your goal. Congradulations!!! You got it all speed and beauty. The only thing that POs me is yours is the same color as ours but yours is better looking and faster than our 16.

Magicallbill
10-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Thank you Jamie;always appreciated...

Grizz;
Thanks for the kind words&encouragement..I'll bet your 16 looks great.Wish I could see it sometime.
As to your handling question; it starts to get jiggy after 4300. At 4800,which is as fast as I've had it for the Radar Check, it's flopping back-and-forth,but still manageable.
At 5500, from Randy's accounts it'll barely stay in the water;He called me up afterword yelling"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??" and the tech who rode with him crawled out of the boat and refused to get back in.
As far as the drive damage,it's happened once, as I said previously. Do you think the 280's are stronger than the 250's?Randy thinks so, and the way they are numbered would suggest it.
Anyway, please consider this post as a go-ahead for you to order me another 23 Solas. Call me if you need details,or pre-payment,a deposit, or whatever. Please send it to Randy's shop where you sent the one on my 16 now.
Randy did say,(after he calmed down) that the 23 setteled the boat down substantially more than the 24 he had on it originally.
I would say that we have the PERFECT prop, thanks to you..Hopefully Jason's 16 will need one too..Heck, then I'll need a 3rd for backup!

An unfortunate by-product of yesterday's run was the oil I discovered in the bilge when I was cleaning the boat up last nite.
Tyrone, (who designed the engine) said it may be gasket bolts around the pan that need to be re-tightened after 20-odd hours of use. I hope its that easy,and Randy doesn't have to jerk the engine out of the boat.
New engine...crap,why it it leaking??

Now I know how Cuda feels.....

Lenny
10-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Nice numbers Bill. Glad you like the prop. Looks like you have it cookin' now. :D

As for quitting at 4800, I wouldn't, but that is just me ;) Tabs, trim and a wide open space would let you "learn her".

I couldn't own a boat that I wouldn't run wide open...from time to time, regardless of the speeds achieved (afforded) ... :D

Sounds like you have it all together now :)

Have fun, lots of it...

Magicallbill
10-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey Len;
Don't think I don't get frusterated and curious..I do.
It's kinda stressful to have to think in terms of being conservative with my throttle.

However, the equation is.

Blow up drive= Bill without Donzi for a month.

Believe me, it's a handful the way it is..Are you still having that kick-butt weather up there?

BigGrizzly
10-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Bill the drive is plenty strong. the 250 has only a few differences the vertical shaft on the early ones were weaker, but all the parts are interchangable. your problem was with the cone clutch a anoying part but a realitivly easy fix, I called randy after this happened, but as the tech he is he al ready has the other drive on. Too bad there are not more like him. He puts his customers first. You lucked out, this guy is good. As you know I don't give Kudous that easily or often. I need to talk to you about the prop. Either I will call yoi or you call me. we will get it handled.

Magicallbill
10-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Grizzly;
Yes, Randy is the man..
He has worked on my boats since '94,and I don't think twice about driving up 230-odd miles to have him work on stuff.
Thanks for the info about the drive;Randy cautioned me about pushing to too hard,but if the 280 is better, I have some leeway for when I want to impress some girl or something.
Anyway, I don't have your personal cell;I lost it for whatever reason, and the work # is no good since your retirement.
Call me on my cell, if you still have the number..If not, let me know, and I'll get it to you.

B....

BigGrizzly
10-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I know I have your numbers just have tyo look. My numbers are cell: 770-318-1136 home and fax is: 706-216-8194. Yes Randy IS good and honerst some day I'll meet him I hope. Anyone in that area be assured he will take caer of your boat issues. This guy is no yo-yo, he is straigh as an arrow.

Magicallbill
10-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks Grizz;
Will call you tomorrow to start the process.

Funny quick one about Randy..
There has been lots of people complimenting both Jason's and my 16's as they went thru the restoration process.
A couple people wanted Randy to re-do their boats.Randy gave them a hi-ball figure, hoping it would scare them off,and they weren't fazed in the least..Randy called me and said, "Now I'm probably gonna have to do their's too..I didn't quote hi enough!!"
Oh yeah, Jason's was started today, hopefully will water-test tomorrow.

MB

BigGrizzly
10-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Nesxt time I am in Indy I will get to see your boats. Maybe if I get a hair I come up a day early and we will get to know each other. Who knows maybe Randy may get a Criterion to do. That boat is a keeper. I'm an engine man not a painter.

Lenny
10-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Hey Len;
..Are you still having that kick-butt weather up there?

Yes, this is insane. Basically 3 days of rain now since June 10th. The ones that didn't rain were blue sky and full on sun. THIS is a Summer, that no one has EVER seen, period, record breaker, all that stuff.

Now they are saying the Pacific is warmer (much) than usual and they predict a long, dry winter of mild weather. No Pacific storms... ???

Whatever, this is now a PERFECT climate regardless of why... Hope it sticks.

:)