PDA

View Full Version : How can I get my boat fixed???

Carl C
10-02-2006, 04:42 PM
This is a continuation of the saga here: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44445 starting on post #8. I brought home my outdrive today and promptly put a dial indicator on the prop shaft. I have .026 inch runout!!! In other words the shaft that they said was OK is bent! .026 can't be within specs can it? It's just unbelievable that they would have let this go like this. How the hell am I going to get my boat fixed? Any and all input will be appreciated because right now I don't know what to do.:confused: :confused: :confused:Should I bite the bullet and tow it south to Pier 57 where I bought it? Where is the nearest Donzi dealer to Detroit? Do they have a good rep?

gcarter
10-02-2006, 05:06 PM
You seem like a handy sort of guy, so why don't you shop getting the shaft replaced? I know there could be big differences from shop to shop.
As far as the gimbal housing (transom plate), buy or rent an engine hoist, and a manual, unbolt the engine, move it forward 6" and remove the gimbal housing. Have it checked by a welding shop, someone around you will be able to determine if it's cracked. If it is cracked, have it welded and grind it smooth, and repaint the effected area yourself. Then reassemble the whole thing. It really isn't all that difficult. Boating season's over for you, so it would be good experience.
I understand your frustration, but it isn't as difficult as you are probably imagining it is.

Dredgeking
10-02-2006, 05:22 PM
if you have a warm place to work and you have some mechanical skill, you should do it yourself. a buddy of mine taught me to spend money on tools instead of a mechanic. it took me a while to listen to him. i've had some of the worst work done by some of the biggest names. bottom line is you know you aren't going to screw yourself and once you learn how to fix it, you can handle it again.

Carl C
10-02-2006, 05:40 PM
I guess if you want something done right, you need to do it yourself but I thought this is what insurance is for. I have a shop and lots of tools but it's not like I don't have enough to do now. And I don't know if Progressive insurance will work with me like that. It also makes sense that the gear case housing should be replaced if it must be disassembled anyway.:confused:BTW the salmon are running and I'll be gone a couple days.

Tony
10-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Nearest Donzi dealer with a good reputation would be, imho, Preferred Power Marine in Fairfield, OH. (Bob McNeil @ 513-874-3333) It is north of Cincinnati so not all that close...

The most high profile shop in Michigan just might be Crockett Marine Engines (http://www.crockettmarineengines.com/) in Ruby, MI, which is NW of Port Huron. He would no doubt be a tad pricey...I guess it depends how much the insurance company is willing to pony up. Also, his specialty is engines, but I'd guess he would be just fine with outdrives as well.

Another one to ask about reputable service is Old Red Alert (Bill Stevenson), up in the Algonac area...he has a lot of contacts.\

Good luck!

:beer:

MOP
10-02-2006, 05:56 PM
.026 any decent prop shop will straighten that, for a ton less then new. I believe that shaft is near $500!

Phil

Carl C
10-02-2006, 06:10 PM
You guys already convinced me that it would be OK to repair the prop and weld the gearcase but straighten the prop shaft? This boat is new and it is insured. This is literally making me sick to my stomach.

Carl C
10-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks, Tony. I'll look into that. Mop, you've been a lot of help but I think the boat should be fixed with new parts by a shop that works on performance boats. It's insured, I shouldn't have to worry about $500 for a prop shaft. I think I should get a new prop too. If this shop would've let this go with that much wobble, how do I know the prop shop won't overlook a tweaked hub?

Trueser
10-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Carl,
You need to calm down! With the amount of time you spent with replies you could have drove it down to Sarasota. Hook the boat up and bring it to a Donzi dealer and let the work it out with the insurance company. That is the only way you will get paid. Besides you may have more damage than you think.

When I had the same problem, I got two estimates they looked them over and sent out a guy to do a survey, he approved the repair and gave me 2/3 because of normal wear. I gave up the fight and fixed it myself. My impact was way less then yours.

Bring it to the dealer give him the claim number and hope for a better resolution. Better drain the water and winterize the boat why your at it.

Good Luck
Mike

Carl C
10-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks, Mike. I think you're right. It needs to go to a Donzi dealer and let them determine what repairs are needed. Yeah I quess I'm a little worked up now so here is yet another post. I'm going fishing in the morning and I expect all the answers to my problems to be here when I get back thursday.:rlol: :dolphin: :)

Tony
10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Carl, the closest Donzi dealer is High Performance Boats, just west of Grand Rapids. There is a rumor, though, that they are no longer a Donzi dealer. Although I've never had any direct dealings with them, others have been somewhat less than impressed. I'll get you the phone number after Granholm debates DeVos.

Carl C
10-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks, Tony. The dealer near Cincinnatti would be doable. It's all level road and gas is cheap so no problemo. Where is ShanghiedAgain's shop?

MOP
10-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Carl just took a look at you dial set up doubt that you will get a true reading riding the threads, I use the center bore or the machined area at the tip.

Phil

Carl C
10-02-2006, 08:19 PM
You're right Mop, I was on the threads but they are prety fine. I rechecked it though to be sure. The tip is cut at an angle so I checked on a small boss under the threads and in the more aft position and got .024 and .010.

MOP
10-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Carl do you have the small ball tip for the dial? If so try the center bore, you should be .004 or under. Believe it or not the insurance Co may want it straightened rather then replacing it, it is done more often then you think.

A P.S. if you are out .026 that far up the shaft it will be a lot more at the tip!

Phil

Tony
10-02-2006, 09:36 PM
High Performance Boats, Inc.
Lake Michigan Dr.
Allendale, MI
616-453-6383, ask for Rick.

:beer:

Carl C
10-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks Tony, Mop. I'm outta here for a couple of days.:outtahere :dolphin: