PDA

View Full Version : Damn Catch 22!

Cuda
10-02-2006, 03:42 PM
He's been giving me so much grief about my intake being Ford Blue instead of HP 500 Blue, that today I went to the paint shop and had them mix me up some HP 500 Blue and all the other stuff I need to paint. $214.55 later, I have a pint of the blue.:eek!:

:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

He's staying at his dad's the rest of the week. I just called him to tell him about how he did me. I could hear his dad in the background asking if I got Ford 460 Blue, or 351 Cleveland Blue!:biggrin.:

The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.:)

gcarter
10-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Good paint's expensive, isn't it?

Cuda
10-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Good paint's expensive, isn't it?
Yes it is! George, I swear I was thinking about calling you and asking if you'd shoot the parts if I prep them. This stuff is too expensive to practice with.:wink: :eek!: :)

Cuda
10-02-2006, 09:15 PM
You'll have a real sample of Merc Racing Blue tomorrow Cuda...

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Cuda
10-03-2006, 07:51 AM
I have posted a new avatar to thank Jimmy for being the "Blue" expert. :)
Paybacks are a bitch my friend! :)
Poodle, can you make my avatar a little larger???

Cuda
10-03-2006, 07:53 AM
I also need an email address to the transportation department of Publix.:yes:

Rootsy
10-03-2006, 07:59 AM
base / clear? i would have ahd them mix it in an acrylic urethane.. woulda saved you about 80 bucks

Cuda
10-03-2006, 08:12 AM
base / clear? i would have ahd them mix it in an acrylic urethane.. woulda saved you about 80 bucks
I asked her about that. She said the base/clear would be easier for a novice such as myself. Just as I said to mix it, I got to thinking I could probably buy all new billet pulleys for what I'll have in it with paint, and I still don't know if it will look good. She tried to stop the mix, but it was already started, so I bought it. Like I told her, that's just money I DIDN'T spend this weekend at the Rally. It's amazing what staying out of that Boat House will do for you wallet. As a matter of fact, I didn't have one sip of alcohol all weekend. :)

Cuda
10-03-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm going to go ahead and spray that Performer intake with it, just to see how I do. I think I'm going to put on that intake, the Holley carb, and new exhaust while I get the HP ready. I'm not going to hurry on the HP, it will be right when it goes in. It's not like I'm short of boats to drive. :)

Rootsy
10-03-2006, 08:17 AM
on the last coat of clear.. over-reduce it a bit so that it flows out better and it'll get rid of the orange-peel... just be careful cause it'll also run easier... basecoat is easy... the clear is the runny stuff...

DCC concept is easy to shoot... too easy...

a small HVLP touch-up gun is great for these little projects...

Cuda
10-03-2006, 08:22 AM
What size nozzle for either of them? What about the primer?

Rootsy
10-03-2006, 08:26 AM
What size nozzle for either of them? What about the primer?

hard to get DP to run... i give it a light coat followed by a full wet coat 15 minutes later. if in doubt... go light

in my Devilbiss GTI Millenium HVLP i put base on with like a 1.2 or 1.4 mm fluid tip and Clear with a 1.6 or 1.8...

LKSD
10-04-2006, 07:00 AM
I was able to get the merc racing blue from merc in a spray can like the phantom black.. I believe I still can, Although the blue was a urethane & was a lot more $$$ than the black.. :eek!: Jamie / Lakeside

Cuda
10-11-2006, 06:59 PM
I hope this is up to Catch 22's standards in blue. I shot it today. Rootsy, you are right, that paint was easy as can be to shoot. A lot easier than the polyurethane I used on the Formula. It's the Performer intake. I wanted to practice before I did it for something on the HP engine. I mixed up WAY too much clearcoat. I told Debbie to pull her truck in the garage, and I spray a coat of clear on it. The two props you see, are a couple of old aluminum props Deb uses to centerpieces on her end tables. I started to shoot them HP Blue, but I ran out of the base. I wasted a whole bunch of the base when I first started shooting. I had the air pressure up WAY too high. I have a new regulator on my compressor, and I don't like it a bit. All in all, I'm pretty damn happy how it came out. Now if Jim's dad doesn't claim it's Ford 460 Blue, I'll be happy. :)

A couple of the pics are kind of hazy, because there was still a bunch of clear in the air. The one pic where it looks like something is messed up on top must be due to the lighting.

tiger lily
10-11-2006, 08:07 PM
looks really good!