PDA

View Full Version : '86 Minx, #56

gcarter
10-02-2006, 02:22 PM
I've thought about this for a long time and it's time to offer the Minx for sale. Understand, there's no pressure to sell, I just can't think of much else to do to it. So, if I can find a buyer, I'll find and start another project.
I bought the boat in January of '04. It was pretty sad. A bank repo, and pretty cheap.
Now almost three years later, I have more than $20,000 invested in it in hardware alone. I did all the labor and I know it's over 1000 hours. I just enjoy this type of project.
Maybe the thing to do is list the existing original hardware;
hull, deck, lifting brackets, grab handle and glove box on dash, air vents for engine compartment, gimbal ring, bell housing, and maybe one or two wires. Everything else is new.
And I didn't restore it to original condition. There are too many things about '80's boats that should always be replaced/improved.
It's more about my interpretation of a modern Minx.
So here's a list of what it is;
boat (and engine) has about 92 hours on it.
350 SBC w/Vortec heads
Edelbrock Performer intake manifold
Holley marine carb
Federal Mogul Speedpro roller cam
Stainless Marine exhausts
Corsa external mufflers w/Salisbury flappers
San Jaun closed cooling w/Maziere electric circulating pump
Johnson crank driven seawater pump
Stainless Marine transom seawater pickup w/Perko sea strainer
BBC oil cooler
dual remote mounted oil filters
gas operated hatch lifts w/Donzi hardware
short (11" long) Victory tabs
Bennett rams and new Bennett indicators
Stendrive Engineering drive w/30 hours
15" X 22" Hydromotive Q4 prop
Morse/Hynautic internal hydraulic steering
New Momo leather Formula wheel w/ Livorsi quick disconnect hub
new 45 gallon (rather than the original 41 gallon) aluminum fuel tank, properly coated and foamed in place
instrument panel by Ultra Panel Marine
Gaffrig Monster gauges
Gaffrig depth sounder
all switches are Carling waterproof (including all trim switches)
center stripe and sides are painted w/ R-M UNO-HD two part single stage acrylic/polyurethane paint (a BASF product)
blueprinted hull (removed hooks) and re-gelled entire bottom
windshield and engine hatch are not original but from another Minx
Donzi monogrammed carpet by Bilt-Rite
upholstery is not new but came from Catch22's '98 22C
rechromed deck hardware
new group 27 marine starting battery
hull and deck are through bolted with about 200 machine screws (no wood screws)
18 month old aluminum trailer w/tandem Torsion axles and SST disc brakes
EVERYTHING works
In case you're not familiar with this boat, here are some threads of the restoration;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703&page=1&pp=15
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34484
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36420
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36526 I've since replaced this drive w/ a new one. Also I completely rebuilt the gimbal assembly.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36014
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39010
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39073
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43526
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43778
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45180
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44560
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44736
Price is $18,000.00 firm. I'm not desparate to sell so I won't negotiate (at least not down).
I'll be glad to help w/delivery.
Office; 352-365-2337
Cell; 352-267-9801
Boat is located in Leesburg, FL (between Orlando and Ocala) at my office. It can be demonstrated any time in nearby Lake Harris.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24251&d=1159754530

Dredgeking
10-02-2006, 09:10 PM
sharp. very sharp.

Jerry Eisele
10-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Goerge, THAT'S ...one great looking boat!!! You can sell it, if your next project is a Donzi!:yes:

sweet 16 1966
10-03-2006, 08:29 PM
George,
I am sure you have thought this over for some time. You have put the labor of love into that boat and someone will enjoy the fruit of your labor. I sort of envy your decision because but I am not sure I could do the same with mine. Owned it since 1980. I guess nothing is forever and there is a time to move on. I do hope also that your next project is another Donzi. Best of luck with the sell of your Minx!

Tony
10-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Truly a nice looking boat, with top quality restoration work.
I think in one of the pictures I see the initials RK on the hullside!

:yes: :) :yes: :) :yes: :)

sweet 16 1966
10-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Tony,
Grorge has a fine boat in that Minx. Lots of freeboard, drink holders, self contained cooling system, re-built or new almost everything! Someone looking for a Minx will really enjoy
what George has created for some time.
Me, I sort of have my heart set on a 22 but timing is not right presently. Maybe next summer though. I really enjoyed the ride in your 22 and it runs very well with the special Volvo outdrive. I also rode in Big Grizzleys Criterian. Let me tell you, 650 HP
is pure excitement in my book! All I can say is "ONE DAY"!
Enough about me, Someone looking for a Minx should step up!

goatee
10-05-2006, 01:06 PM
its only been 3 days or so, and i can't believe this boat has not sold yet.
the sad part is, it just does not pay to do your own work. i would never buy a project boat and spend months/years resoring her just to sell it for less than what i have into it. i understand it is a hobby, and people do enjoy doing their own work but,,,,c;mon!!! 2k less than what he has into it?????:confused:

i understand too, it is 20 years old, (like that even matters, he redid everything)
not original, ect. ect. it's all bull! in my opinion, it's better than original.
just a shame the value drops for doing a good job.

george, i'd buy it right now if i didnt have my heart set on a 22 classic.

LGMAZ
10-05-2006, 02:13 PM
If donzi made a 2007 Minx, it would look like that. Very nice.

yeller
10-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Geez George, are you nuts!!:bonk: You just finished that boat. You were just telling me this summer that you were finally going to get to enjoy using it and now you put it up for sale! I don't understand.....I just don't understand. :wink: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

I followed all your threads on this boat. It is worth every penny!!!!!

Please.....please.....please, let it come west.

Lenny, calling Lenny.....George has lost his marbles and you need boat # 6. :yes: :biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
10-05-2006, 05:54 PM
sooooooooooooooooo Georgey.....

what's the next project gonna be ??

:cool:

gcarter
10-05-2006, 06:31 PM
sooooooooooooooooo Georgey.....
what's the next project gonna be ??
:cool:
Buy this boat and I'll tell you!!:wink: :yes:
It's a sign of my finances and space available.....no sale, no project!
I do have something in mind though.

Cuda
10-05-2006, 10:01 PM
George's boat is exactly what a new Minx would be like with the right engineering. Figuring George's labor would be about half as fast as someone who does it for a living (although George's work is most likely better) I figure with parts and his labor, he's got between 60 and 80 grand in the boat.

I understand how George is. He enjoys doing things to the boat as much, or more than running it. I had the same feeling when I gave up on my Formula project. Some days I'd be wandering around the garage, with nothing in particular to do, and not wanting to mess with something that's already running and I missed having small stuff I could do just to fill some time. As far as getting your labor back out of a boat, if you enjoy doing it, it reminds me of playing golf. I don't know of any weekend golfers who ever got their money back from playing golf.

I know I rib you a lot George about some things you do, but I have the utmost respect for what you have done, and your willingness to do it yourself, even if you've never done it before.

As far as I know, George did every bit of the work himself, other than the powdercoating, and I bet if he could have gotten a big enough oven for the rubrails, he'd have done that too. :)

I'd love to see you find a shot out 22, about in the same shape as the Minx was, and see how it comes out. I have no doubt it would be a head turner.

catch 22
10-06-2006, 07:39 PM
George's boat is exactly what a new Minx would be like with the right engineering. Figuring George's labor would be about half as fast as someone who does it for a living (although George's work is most likely better) I figure with parts and his labor, he's got between 60 and 80 grand in the boat.
I understand how George is. He enjoys doing things to the boat as much, or more than running it. I had the same feeling when I gave up on my Formula project. Some days I'd be wandering around the garage, with nothing in particular to do, and not wanting to mess with something that's already running and I missed having small stuff I could do just to fill some time. As far as getting your labor back out of a boat, if you enjoy doing it, it reminds me of playing golf. I don't know of any weekend golfers who ever got their money back from playing golf.
I know I rib you a lot George about some things you do, but I have the utmost respect for what you have done, and your willingness to do it yourself, even if you've never done it before.
As far as I know, George did every bit of the work himself, other than the powdercoating, and I bet if he could have gotten a big enough oven for the rubrails, he'd have done that too. :)
I'd love to see you find a shot out 22, about in the same shape as the Minx was, and see how it comes out. I have no doubt it would be a head turner.
Cuda, you saved me a whole lot of time typing. I couldn't have said it better myself. George, I do have a couple of things on the 22 you could look at to fill the void. :wink:

gcarter
11-03-2006, 06:03 PM
T.t.t.

Jerry Eisele
11-04-2006, 04:21 AM
George, That is soooooo sweet!! I'll keep passing the word!!:yes:

gcarter
01-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Bump...bump
I've updated the info on post #1 a bit.

Jimmy Norman
01-25-2007, 03:40 AM
I'm interested in getting something a little bigger than my 1989 Classic 16 (partial trade?), but I'm not familiar with how the Minx compares to the Classics. How is the hull different? Does it have the Classic's 24 degree deadrise? I'm near Atlanta but plan to visit in-laws in Tampa soon so maybe we could make a side trip if the boat's still available when we head south. Thanks,

Jimmy Norman

gcarter
01-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi Jimmy and thanks for asking.
The Minx hull (20') is much more like a 22C than a big 18C. In fact, I've measured this hull next to Jim Collin's 22C and it is identical in form other than 2' shorter.
The cockpit is slightly larger than a 22C (we're talking inches here) and has a raised coaming around the cockpit and a very effective windshield. Also the cockpit has side bolsters for the front seats with cup holders.
It's very comfortable and very dry. I've never had water in the cockpit.
This particular boat will do about 65 MPH on a good day and will easily cruise in the 40-50 MPH range and with the slightly larger fuel tank, it has a nearly 200 mile range.
A little history....the Minx may have been the last boat developed by the Chisholms before selling Donzi to Jack Staples. Hull # 1 was built in February, '85 and was built for the Chisholms. It was always considered by Donzi to be a Classic although it was only marketed for 3 years. In fact there is new model release literature stating that fact.
I hope this helps.

ATLDONZI
01-25-2007, 07:13 PM
i am very interested in this absolutley beautiful boat! If i can sell my 16 to a prospective buyer i will own this boat unless it sells faster than i can sell mine... this boat is a steal at this price i cant belive its still here. I hope its still here if/when my 16 goes to its possible new owner...

gcarter
01-26-2007, 01:13 PM
I have an offer! :)

BUIZILLA
01-27-2007, 07:21 AM
sooooooo GC.....

whatta ya gonna buy now ???????

sweet 16 1966
01-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Whatever it is, I call first shot upon completion of his next project!
Geroge does great work. Something called passion for excellence.
Anyway, someone will be receiving a fine boat.

TOPSY II
01-28-2007, 09:10 AM
George ( and those who follow his threads)

Being the owner of another Minx #59...I can tell you I have followed EVERY entry you've made regarding your "Labor of Love",,and have printed and Saved each one of them...If there's a better blueprint for how to restore a Minx, I've never seen it...I just need the inspiration/$$/ Time/ to do it the way you have...Can't wait to hear what the new project will be..Bigger?/Faster..
Give us a clue George!

All the Best!

Topsy II

Pete

gcarter
01-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Sorry guys, I ain't sayin' nuttin' for awhile.

pmreed
01-28-2007, 06:34 PM
:) :) :) :wink:

BUIZILLA
01-28-2007, 06:36 PM
boys and their games...... :bonk: :rolleyes: :cistineb: :umbrella:

DAULEY
01-30-2007, 07:59 AM
george
congrats that is one nice minx
how about a EL PESCDOR big block trs boat

gcarter
03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
SOLD!!!!!!!

Yippeeee!:yes: :) :)

Jerry Eisele
03-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Great!!! He got a super boat!!:cool:

Carl C
03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
I just saw this for the first time. George, it's sad to see you sell her. I think I have the old exhaust tips on my boat.

yeller
03-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Congrats George. New owner got a real nice boat. What's next?
I'm going to guess 20 Cig.
Am I close??

gcarter
03-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Congrats George. New owner got a real nice boat. What's next?
I'm going to guess 20 Cig.
Am I close??
That would be a good choice!
Know anyone who has one that needs restoration? A non-jet version?

ddw1668
03-25-2007, 09:27 PM
George:

Home without incident at 9:30. Heavy traffic and accidents in Atlanta slowed progress.

Thanks for the hospitality. Joyce wants to go to the Thousand Islands this summer.

Best.

Dan

gcarter
03-25-2007, 09:33 PM
George:
Home without incident at 9:30. Heavy traffic and accidents in Atlanta slowed progress.
Thanks for the hospitality. Joyce wants to go to the Thousand Islands this summer.
Best.
Dan
Folks;
Dan is the new Minx owner! I hope he enjoys it for years to come.
Dan; I'm glad everything is good. Have fun, but spend a little time learning its habits.

BUIZILLA
03-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Lake Rabun area?? I spent a lot of time on that lake as a kid

MOP
03-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Just got home from "Southern Boy Land"! I think everyone but George was sorry to see it leaving, the new owner and his wife are really super people. I am sure it went to a good home.

Phil

sweet 16 1966
03-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Congrats George! Dan has one fine boat! Hope to see it again someday.