PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your ZF? Thinking about a CC next...

zimm17
10-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Been reading about the high performance center consoles in the July Powerboat magazine. They sound like the ultimate SUV of boats- even though I don't really fish. A 29-35-ish footer with a cuddy for overnighting (needs to have a vent hatch for air), head in the console, two big 'ol outboards, self-bailing cockpit, and room for 10 partiers sounds like an ideal salt water boat. Since I moved to VA beach, the waters around here are BIG. Plus I'm looking at moving to Mayport, FL next (jacksonville area).

My boating consists mostly of running the bay, a little ocean, then pulling up on the sand bar or at local bar for food and cocktails. I would love to be able to anchor out in the ocean and do some scuba diving too. And of course being able to hose the thing off at the end of the day makes it even more interesting.

Must be trailerable though- what size should I look at?

I have a hunch that insurance is much cheaper on them than a higher performance boat like a 33ZX too.

So, any ZF owners here or people who've ridden on them? Do they hang on another forum? (I already checked OSO) Any non-Donzi's worth looking at (I know, blasphemy).

Heck if I'm lucky, I'd be able to keep the classic 22 as well since it's paid for and costs me $48 a month in insure.

donzist
10-03-2006, 02:07 PM
I currently have a 2006 35 Zf cuddy with twin merc. verados 275. I use it primarily for day running, going to the beach (it will fit 10 easy) and the occasional overnighter. Plus it still runs at 60 mph. The forward v berth fits two people, but is smaller than I would like. I trailer my boat from the ramp to the parking space at the marina where I keep it which is only about 300 feet, not much trailering besides that. You are looking at about 7,700 lbs of boat plus trailer and fuel which will go up to 9000-9500 lbs of towing total. The boat is impressively solid when pounding against chop, solid ride and great handling, I would defenitely recommend it. It you need any more info, let me know.

I dont know where the other ZF owners are, if you find them , let me know!!!!!!!

Team Jefe
10-03-2006, 04:58 PM
I've been running a ZF for over five years and LOVE IT. best of both worlds with performacne ands funtionality. You can't go wrong and these days they can even have performance numbers that rival the BIG BLOCKS.

looks like CC's are in vogue...I guess I was just ahead of my time :wink:

zimm17
10-03-2006, 11:29 PM
I currently have a 2006 35 Zf cuddy with twin merc. verados 275. I use it primarily for day running, going to the beach (it will fit 10 easy) and the occasional overnighter. Plus it still runs at 60 mph. The forward v berth fits two people, but is smaller than I would like. I trailer my boat from the ramp to the parking space at the marina where I keep it which is only about 300 feet, not much trailering besides that. You are looking at about 7,700 lbs of boat plus trailer and fuel which will go up to 9000-9500 lbs of towing total. The boat is impressively solid when pounding against chop, solid ride and great handling, I would defenitely recommend it. It you need any more info, let me know.
I dont know where the other ZF owners are, if you find them , let me know!!!!!!!

Yes, tell us more! I haven't talked with any ZF owners. I can understand the cuddy is small, but for a monthly overnight, I think it would beat a tent on the beach. Is there adequate ventilation in there?

What's your fuel consuption like with the 275's?

How's the seating arrangements for partying/entertaining? I don't fish (yet), so the livewells aren't important to me, unless circulating icewater cools beer down faster...

Do you think you could board the boat with SCUBA gear on?

How easy is it to get on and off the trailer?

And finally, how about some pictures?

donzist
10-04-2006, 01:16 AM
The cuddy cabin is fine for the occasional overnight. However, the entry hatch faces downwindif your anchored so no wind gets in, so here in the caribbean I've been thinking about installing a small a/c unit. This depends really on the humidity/outside temp, but slept fine it in anyway.
As far as the seating arrangement goes, there is space for 2 seated in front on the console, the driver and co-pilot in the bolstered drop don seats, 2 or 3more in the massive padded cooler behind them, and 2 more in the aft bench, which is rather small. The baitwell is located underneath (which I use to stow my aft anchor) Plus, the rod holders on the t-top are perfect beer bottle openers....figured this one out after no bottle openers were found on board and had a very "thirsty" crew" Like I said the cooler is huge, plus you have an additonal cooler under the front center console seat. The Donzi has a heady duty ladder of the dive type, so you could actually stand on the ladder with fins on as it only has a center tube, and ill bet a tank holder could be easily installed if needed. Plus it has a stainless steel grabrail next to the ladder.
This boat has probably been the easiest boat I've ever put on a trailer. I have a Triple axle Continental brand trailer which follos the same "steps"as the hull so it fits perfectly on the trailer. Slides in easy, all the way up, secure it, and everything falls in place. Here are some pics, Ill try to get some more and post them as well. Hope this helps

Footloose
10-04-2006, 07:26 AM
I've really enjoyed mine but got a 43 footer with A/C and arneson drives instead a few years ago. No ready to sell the 87 Black Donzi F33 below but it needs work and I have no trailer:

$17,500 firm - it's in Boca Raton area.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/orenard13/album?.dir=da8a&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Blackfin28
11-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Still have the F33?