PDA

View Full Version : Time For A Change

boldts
10-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi all. After very hard consideration and weighing the facts between the 2 bodies of water, next year's Awakening of the Horses Midwest Donzi Club gathering will be held at the Lake of the Ozarks. I've got an inside source doing the leg work for me and I trust this person greatly.
Reasons for the change revolve around the fact that the Jamestown Resort on Lake Cumberland will not allow a group gathering after the holiday in May. Therefore, no chance to move the date back into a time frame where the lake has had time to settle after the Spring rains and those with families to bring their children once they are out of school. Debris in the lake has been a concern since the beginning and I would rather spend a few dollars more per night on a room than the money to replace an outdrive or repair gelcoat due to hitting a log.
As mentioned above. I want to build this gathering around the fact that more owners can come and have a great time with their boat and their families. Last year opening the gathering up to include all the Aronow companies I feel was a big sucess. We had boats in attendance that many had never had the opportunity to see or drive. With that said, I will continue to make this gathering an all Aronow company gathering! So, spread the word to the Cigarette owners, Squadron owners, Magnum owners, Formula owners and of course Donzi owners. Lake of the Ozarks is a 90 mile lake with the busiest area being about 5 to 10 miles of that water. My legs on this project assureses me that we'll have good water and still beable to venture into the hot spots on the lake if we desire. I believe there is still a Donzi dealer on the lake. So, I'll work to contact them and get them ready for one of the largest boat gatherings in the country by a specific boat manufactures.
What you need to do at this point is pretty simple. Go online, check out the lake, plan your trip there, maybe even a week long vacation for your family and stay tuned in the next month for information to make reservations. No excuse for you West Coasters, this is one of the best options centered in the middle of the country. Yes, some of the East Coasters who attend Lake Cumberland may decide this is just to far to go. That's OK. These gatherings are about people seeing old friends and making new friends. The boats themselves are icing on the cake!
Well, there it is folks. AOTH VII is moving a little further West. Hope those of you who have supported the club the last 6 years will consider checking out a new lake with us next year. If your from the Lake of the Ozarks area and are willing to lend a hand, by all means, contact me at scott@mwdonziclub.com I've never turned anyone away or refused someone who offered help. Stay tuned for the dates as my goal has always been not to interfear with another clubs gatherings. I want to continue to live by that rule. Take care all and I hope to see you next year at the Awakening of the Horses gathering!

boldts
10-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Help me out a bit and those with children in school, what is the last day of school? Lake George Donzi Club - Dust Off will be 6/15 thru 17 2007. So, that leaves the following dates. I'm staying away from the July 4th before weekend due to being so close after the Dust Off. Your thoughts would be appreciated though.

5/31 thru 6/3 2007

7/5 thru 7/8 2007

or 7/12 thru 7/15 2007

Give me your thoughts and or conflicts that I may have over-looked please... I'm awaiting a report from my legs person helping me set this up and their thoughts of the best date. Also, the Awakening was so named because of the reference to throughbred horses in Kentucky. Any thoughts about a new name for a gathering in Missouri? I know the area is known for Branson, MS which has become one of the biggest tourest destinations for country music lovers.

RedDog
10-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Sounds like a good move Scot - I was afraid I would have to miss it again in 2007. We finish up school on 5/20/07 with the graduation of my yongest.

The 7/5- 8 date may not be so good. A lot of people do family reunions around that time.

670 miles from Knoxville

vrod02
10-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Lots of Action on the lake of the O! Mile marker 6-25 is ROUGH on the weekends. 2.5- 3.5 is normal wake height in the channel! :eek!: Gravois Arm is a good spot.

Cuda
10-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Better bring a 43 Zr from all I've read about giant cruiser wakes there.:eek:

Carl C
10-01-2006, 08:57 PM
...........bet it's a lot nicer week-days..............

Trueser
10-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Sound good to me,
On Sunday at the last AOTH we could not leave the marina. It looked like they cut tree's down after we went to bed.

BigGrizzly
10-02-2006, 10:36 AM
It is way farthur than Cumberland and way rougher on weekends than Lanier. I under stand the reasioing, but that is way farther for the north west and central guys and forget the east coast boys but cloaser for the texas crew. I' havn't made my final decision yet. However if James town doesn't want us how about the state dock. I don't ever remember a lost lower unit on one. Remember you need to look where your going and not drive by brail.

boldts
10-02-2006, 11:09 AM
All good points everyone. Like I stated....The main drag of the lake is about 5 to 10 miles of a 90 mile lake. We don't have to be in that 5 to 10 mile area on Saturday. Also, moving to a summer time frame opens up the option for families to plan for a week long vacation including the gathering at the end or beginning of the vacation.

As for the Cumberland state park.... Yes, they'll take anyone anytime and are a fantastic option....Anyone walked down the hill to the marina which does not offer docking for us the whole weekend? Sure, they'll allow you a couple hours while you run up to spend money in the restoraunt. (sorry about my sp. just don't feel like spell checking in word today)

All, while the debris are one of my concerns......my biggest is the opportunity of families to enjoy the gathering and the boating time with their families including their children.

I also understand the miles this adds to a lot of your trips. Let me ask you though.....If you were looking for a particular make and model of car, would you not travel to a Barrett Jackson car auction even if you had to go to Arizona? This gathering is my vision of becoming the National Gathering of all Aronow started Company boats in the United States. Could you imagine every trailable Magnum in the country being in one place? Could you imagine every 20' and up Cigarette in the country being in one place? Could you imagine actually seeing a Squadron XII? Could you imagine seeing Formula boats that had been built when Mr. Aronow was alive? Can you imagine every trailable Donzi in America coming to one lake? Not just a Florida gathering or North East gathering or even what we have called a Midwest gathering for the last 6 years. The goal is to make this annual gathering THE gathering that every owner of these boats wants to be attending. Maybe not every year, but as many years as your time and dollars allow. Including the boats that have found their way to the West Coast.

Sorry, didn't mean to get so long.....Just felt maybe some needed to feel my vision for this gathering. No one else in the world is doing this. Let's be the first! Maybe I've finally just flipped off the deep end. :D

smoothie
10-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Scott,
you may want to do a poll on this one,,,,btw this summer when I was at Cumberland state park they have a shuttle service to state dock marina,and the marina had dock space for rent for the state park people but just not as nice as walking to your boat,they have a huge new boat launch thats not straight up and down with plenty of parking so I launched mine every day,they also have an indoor swimming pool,golf course,trails,camping and horse back riding,my wife and kids had a great time ,I guess because its a state park we didnt spend a lot of cash our room was $95.00 with a nice view of the lake.Not trying to stir the pot just giving some info...

Hotspare
10-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Scott ............

Glad to see this wonderfull event moving to the next level .......... If center stage is where your going, LOTO is certainly it .... It's the MECCA !!!!!!!!!! I'd also expect participation growth, to be substantial over the coming years ......... It's as central as it get's .......... The previous gatherings have stagged out to about 30 boats .......... With some very Loyal Patrons Indeed ........... But could you imagine adding 30 more to that ............. :yes:

ITTLFLI
10-02-2006, 03:40 PM
As this is a surprise to me............

BUT WE WILL PICK UP THE WEEKEND BEFORE MEMORIAL DAY......for those of you who are still into blowing off the dust, and out the soot at LAKE CUMBERLAND ....PLEASE plan on the weekend before Memorial day.

The logs have ALWAYS been there! Never been an issue!

Byron

boldts
10-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Wow.....Really didn't expect so much opposition on moving the gathering. Someone tell me how to put a poll on here and we'll go that route, but first, let me ask you. If you wanted to do a gathering that can accomidate boat owners from each coast of America and allow maybe 60 to 80 boats in time, WHERE would YOU hold IT?

Maybe it is time for a new Midwest Club president......Since I seem to be the only one with a vision of making a gathering that magazines and boating TV shows beg to come to each year featuring the best God Damn Boats ever built! Just let me know gentlemen and I'll be glad to pull the funds out of the bank account and send it your way to do with as you see fit........

Sorry.......12 hour days at work are a bitch sometimes!

vrod02
10-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Weekdays are very nice. Theres probably 200+ Donzis docked on the lake. No B.S.:yes:

smokediver
10-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I would stat away from memorial weekend ... that place is crazy !!!!

BigGrizzly
10-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Its moving the Home Town Rally to Fargo or the Dust off to Errie. As for how many will attend, Well all the gatherings have shrunk since 2001. Don't blaim it on the logs or kids. I'm not saying this to you Scott but to everyone! Even in the middle of summer events fall short. Ask Road Trip to hold another one. It is hard. We have tried for 5 years to get all the local guys on Lake Lanier to get together, what a bust. Water is too low ramps are too crowed, I have to work that weekend, or worse "I will be there" than NO SHOW. Some of us look forward to a rock solid event that we know. God knows if I want to go boating I just push the button. Yet I haul the boat out hook it up and drive to Cumberland to see Scott Jerry Donzi girl, RT2, Byron,etc. Yes I missed one, a graduation of my boy. Jamie missed one. I even missed a Home town rally once and I was one of the first at the first home town party. Now I have NOT made my desision yet! Just food for though. You say 200 Donzi on the lake how about 3000 in Florida how many came to the Home town Rally. " I can't come I have to watch a foot ball game"! No matter what date you pick it will conflict with somthing!
Scott you have a vision, but don't be near sighted and think the logs in the lake stop anyone. WE openrd it up to all Arronow boats, how many came others came? AS I remember the first had a couple of formula a magnum. We down here think we will push the lower half into comming You came to ours. People need to stop making excuses and do it. Advertising gets people involved! I see it all over. Road Atlanta has a national motorcycle race event event and now one knows, why ? Well because they put a flyer in the local MC shops, no advertising. people don't know. Daytona MC event one of the biggest in the world has shrunk, i remember no seats available infield packed etc. Now they have 1/2 the spectators they hac in 1972. town is full but the stands are empty. NASCAR on the other hand advertised in 7/11 grocires stores, TV and big sponserships. WE can't afford that, but word of mouth and enthusiasn, builds desire and helps plan vacations. Ozark is not the answer to a succesful event people are. I've said and misspelled enough.

ITTLFLI
10-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Its moving the Home Town Rally to Fargo or the Dust off to Errie. As for how many will attend, Well all the gatherings have shrunk since 2001. Don't blaim it on the logs or kids. I'm not saying this to you Scott but to everyone! Even in the middle of summer events fall short. Ask Road Trip to hold another one. It is hard. We have tried for 5 years to get all the local guys on Lake Lanier to get together, what a bust. Water is too low ramps are too crowed, I have to work that weekend, or worse "I will be there" than NO SHOW. Some of us look forward to a rock solid event that we know. God knows if I want to go boating I just push the button. Yet I haul the boat out hook it up and drive to Cumberland to see Scott Jerry Donzi girl, RT2, Byron,etc. Yes I missed one, a graduation of my boy. Jamie missed one. I even missed a Home town rally once and I was one of the first at the first home town party. Now I have NOT made my desision yet! Just food for though. You say 200 Donzi on the lake how about 3000 in Florida how many came to the Home town Rally. " I can't come I have to watch a foot ball game"! No matter what date you pick it will conflict with somthing!
Scott you have a vision, but don't be near sighted and think the logs in the lake stop anyone. WE openrd it up to all Arronow boats, how many came others came? AS I remember the first had a couple of formula a magnum. We down here think we will push the lower half into comming You came to ours. People need to stop making excuses and do it. Advertising gets people involved! I see it all over. Road Atlanta has a national motorcycle race event event and now one knows, why ? Well because they put a flyer in the local MC shops, no advertising. people don't know. Daytona MC event one of the biggest in the world has shrunk, i remember no seats available infield packed etc. Now they have 1/2 the spectators they hac in 1972. town is full but the stands are empty. NASCAR on the other hand advertised in 7/11 grocires stores, TV and big sponserships. WE can't afford that, but word of mouth and enthusiasn, builds desire and helps plan vacations. Ozark is not the answer to a succesful event people are. I've said and misspelled enough.

Grizz,

Well said. I agree.

Cuda
10-02-2006, 06:44 PM
I really shouldn't give my opinion, since I have yet to make an ATOH gathering yet. I was just relaying what I've read on other boards about Lake of The Ozarks. Most people say it's the roughest, and most dangerous place to boat in the nation.

Carry on.

Scott, ease up, it's still in the discussion phase.:wink:

boldts
10-02-2006, 07:12 PM
OK folks.....First, thank-you! Just having a bad day I guess. Many of you are the heart and soul behind the scenes of this gathering. I know that! I have one other thought if we keep it at Cumberland and I'm waiting for answers from the resort there.

We still move it back into summer a bit only we don't schedule the gathering with the resort. We simply call up and make reservations on whatever weekend we decide to go for.

Advantages - Families can attend and no logs in the water to avoid.

Disadvantages - It will cost a bit more per night and we'll need to talk to the local VFW or church hall for a place that everyone can get together Saturday night. Those attending will need to commit much earlier than in the past because we won't have the whole place to ourselves or rooms and cabins being held for us. Docking space may be an issue, but again if scheduled early like the room. They should be able to accomidate us.

Grizzly - your like a father to me - sometimes I tend to think bigger than I should because people tell me something is doable. I thought everyone would welcome a chance to see a new lake and stay away from the wood issues at Cumberland. Thank-you for reminding me....AOTH is about the people who attend! Not neccessarily having to accomidate everyone's wishes.

Byron - Sorry friend! I acted selfish and foolish in my response to your post. I know how much you and everyone else who helps me do this every year care about this gathering.

So, some may be disappointed, but it looks like AOTH will remain at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. We are however going to change the date of the gathering. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

smoothie
10-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Scott,,,I wouldnt factor in the logs...theres plenty of clean water depending on which way the wind is blowing, and besides that this is my weekend "away" from the family.

Mr X
10-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Adds another 900 miles to my round trip :( :(

We were planning on attending it for the first time next year,
It just makes it too far for us. :(

Mr X
10-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Lots of Action on the lake of the O! Mile marker 6-25 is ROUGH on the weekends. 2.5- 3.5 is normal wake height in the channel! :eek!: Gravois Arm is a good spot.

I have boated there with the following boats, when I worked at Donzi.
26ZX, 28ZX, 33ZX, and 38ZX......I would not reccomend boating there on the weekend in anything less than the 33......VERY ROUGH.

DonziChick
10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Honestly, I would like to keep AOTH exactly the way it is. It is about Cumberland and the people that come year after year and the new ones that we drag in.

I also like the weekend it is in May. It's before I get slammed with plans in the summer and is a chance to "dust off" the boat. Really... I wouldn't change a thing!!!

Besides - who's going to tell the Turbo prop guys they have to go to a different lake? :eek!:

ChromeGorilla
10-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Lake Lanier and we all stay at Grizz's place.....:yes: :D

roadtrip se
10-02-2006, 08:34 PM
I didn't even have to come here to find out that Scot Boldt was talking about moving the Awakening. Wow!

I was telling Jerry a story today when we chatted. I am currently changing accounts that I work with and making the rounds introducing myself to my new clients. Over lunch or a cocktail, the talk will typically turn to what you do in your personal life that makes you get out of bed in the morning. I always talk about the Donzi people I have met through the years, the community, and how the boats have become truly secondary.

Basic things like the Awakening don't need changing. Tweaking to make them better? Always. Dates? I don't care when we do it. Venue? Doesn't really matter either, but I do think we can find a place that might put us back a couple of weekends with cleaner water as a result. I bet Jamestown just might change their minds, when they find out we are considering a change to another place on the lake, because they aren't flexible.

As for the Ozarks, how about setting up up another rally, and seeing what happens?!

BUIZILLA
10-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Taking the Donzi's out of AOTH/Cumberland, is like taking the burgers out of Burger King...

JH

boldts
10-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey Scot or Scott. I'd like to delete this thread as I've gotten a lot of people a bit up in arms and many who either posted here or talked to me personally today have given me a few new things to look at.

Our normal weekend for this gathering would be 5/17 thru 5/20 in 2007. (The weekend before Memorial Day weekend)

1st problem and reason I was considering a new lake also is that Jamestown has another group who wants this weekend. I was contacted 2 weeks ago. I requested if there were options to this weekend in an e-mail, but have not been notified back. I'll call the resort tomorrow and find out exactly what our options are for 07.

I've got a great group of people behind the scenes who help make this gathering happen. I should have contacted them first before jumping the gun here on the Registry. It's amazing, but there have been over 300 views of this thread in 1 day. That alone tells me how much people care about this gathering.

So, until I'm told differently that we can't do the gathering on our regular weekend before Memorial Day, this gathering is going to stay where it is at and on our weekend. We are finally starting to get it right after 6 years. I'd hate to ruin a good thing that people love.

Now, I've also been told that there is interest in an Ozark Donzi gathering. I don't think I need to talk to any of the people who work with me to say that the Midwest Donzi Club would love it if say 2 or 3 clubs could come together to make a gathering at LOTO happen in the Fall of the year. I know I would enjoy working with others who share my passion to help put Donzi boats back on top of every buyers list of boats to buy. The ZR brought to Donzi by the late Steve Simon and his visions has been the beginning to doing just that for American Marine Holdings.

So, if one of the Scots would delete this thread for me (I couldn't find an option to do that anymore), I'll get to work making AOTH 2007 the best it can be for the owners attending.

Greg K
10-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Boldts,

Go to your first post in this thread, click on edit,then go advanced, there you should find the delete this post option, by deleting the your first post, that will delete the whole thing and all responses.

Carl C
10-03-2006, 06:23 AM
Boldts,
Go to your first post in this thread, click on edit, there you should find the delete this post option, by deleting the your first post, that will delete the whole thing and all responses.Greg, I think that option has been removed.

Greg K
10-03-2006, 06:32 AM
Nope...still there, just have to go advanced.

BUIZILLA
10-03-2006, 06:33 AM
leave it up, it's not hurting anybody....

Rootsy
10-03-2006, 06:53 AM
so why not Dust em off at cumberland and cover em back up at LOTO????

Carl C
10-03-2006, 07:23 AM
so why not Dust em off at cumberland and cover em back up at LOTO???? "The Bedding Down of the Horses"

boldts
10-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Jamie - My thoughts exactly! I'm catching wind of things discussed at the Hometown Rally. So, I need to sit down, draft a well thought out letter and see just how much of the info coming in is smoke and what is actual interest.

Anyone think 3 weeks after the Hometown Rally would be to cold at LOTO or to soon after the Sarasota gathering? Anything eles going on at the end of October? Prices should be reduced, trees changing colors and hopefully the biggest issue many have expressed, the water will be much tamer. Maybe something along the lines: "Trick or Loto" for the name? Loto is short for Lottery in some states so it kind of refers to the gathering being a treasure and of course the Halloween theme would have to be a part of the gathering in there somewhere. Just my thoughts. Always open to others. So, I'll keep the thread open and let me hear your thoughts. Those who don't wish to tow this far have the option of flying in just like some do to the Hometown Rally in Sota. V-rod says there are plenty of Donzi' on the lake so seats in one if needed shouldn't be an issue. Lets just see how this ball gets rolling. AOTH started with 3 Donzi owners saying let's go to Cumberland for a weekend and 1 of those owners saying "Let's invite every owner in the country to join us." It can happen again.

As I mentioned before, I'd like to bring clubs together to make this happen. The North West club, Madcow, 1000 Islands, Texas Roundup, Midwest Donzi Club and any of the other clubs or gathering groups interested. Together with a great melting pot of ideas, I think LOTO could become a destination gathering before putting the Midwest Aronow boats down for the season.

Jeff Dykama - Get ready sir.....There may be some serious shirt designing in 07. LOL Looking forward to working with you again to come up with a great design for AOTH 07. Going to be real hard to beat last years for sure.

gold-n-rod
10-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Just as an FYI, here in Michigan during "leaf peeping" season, lodging in recreational areas is very hard to come by. Lodging arrangements during that time in the LOTO region may be harder than you think. Check with the locals first.