PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Sweet 16 original 350 cu 350 hp Corvette Engine

jengel
09-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Red/white. Runs fine. Faster than the new 16's.
New upholstery. New exhaust.
New wiring harness and wiring.
Engine rebuilt.
Big aluminum ski prop.
Volvo 280 outdrive
Just needs a compound and wax.
What's wrong with it? Trailer is very tired and it needs a compound and wax. Canvas cover also tired. Boat has a separate red/white cockpit cover, good shape
This boat needs a good home for the winter.
Listed it a year ago on Ebay. Price now reduced.
I'd like to get 10 for it and the boat is worth it.
I attached one photo and will attempt to post other closeups.
email me: jengel @ paper.com

gold-n-rod
09-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Red/white. Runs fine. Faster than the new 16's.

My '03 C16 w/260 MPI runs 60.0 on GPS.

Proof of your claim???????????????

SS jorge 22
10-01-2006, 05:58 PM
how much are you asking?

Just Say N20
10-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Price now reduced.
I'd like to get 10 for it and the boat is worth it.

I looks like he would like $10,000.

jengel
10-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Proof of my claim?

I raced a new one, probably an '03, probably with 270hp and was much faster off the line. I suspect that my ski prop is larger, with more torque from the line. I suspect that my boat is heavier, however, and that a good stainless steel prop would make it faster at the top end. I suspect I beat that '03 because he did not understand how to use his trim tabs. With 350 hp and trim tabs and a SS prop I think this boat would approach 70 but it is only a guess. Anyone out there test the top speed of an older, or newer 16?

Asking price?

While I'd like to get 10k it is best offer.

Lenny
10-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Anyone out there test the top speed of an older, or newer 16?

I think Jamie holds the Record for a 16 at about 78 GPS. There were a few faster, (Ed Donnellys, turbo many moons ago with Betty Cook driving, and a Wild big block rig with 280 K planes that no one has seen since ( from a few years ago) but basically, Jamie holds the current record.

Rootsy
10-02-2006, 07:14 AM
I think Jamie holds the Record for a 16 at about 78 GPS. There were a few faster, (Ed Donnellys, turbo many moons ago with Betty Cook driving, and a Wild big block rig with 280 K planes that no one has seen since ( from a few years ago) but basically, Jamie holds the current record.

add 3 :wink: :yes:

Ed's boat, he told me, radar'd at like 90+ :eek!:

jl1962
10-02-2006, 07:57 AM
This boat is very close to me. I am not mechanically inclined (as those who attended the 06 Dust-off can attest!) but I would be happy to check it out for a general overall impression if anyone is interested.
JL

jengel
10-02-2006, 08:47 AM
did Jamie have a Holman Moody? 351 cu? I think that anything larger, or anything supercharged will NOT fit in the engine compartment, will stick up higher, and ruin the lines of this boat. It was a big challenge to replace the exhaust on this boat with something that would actually fit in the space.

I also believe that this boat needs trim tabs in order to hit those speeds. This boat does not have trim tabs. The new ones do. Does anyone have any experience with what effect trim tabs have on top speed for this boat?

Rootsy
10-02-2006, 09:50 AM
did Jamie have a Holman Moody? 351 cu? I think that anything larger, or anything supercharged will NOT fit in the engine compartment, will stick up higher, and ruin the lines of this boat. It was a big challenge to replace the exhaust on this boat with something that would actually fit in the space.
I also believe that this boat needs trim tabs in order to hit those speeds. This boat does not have trim tabs. The new ones do. Does anyone have any experience with what effect trim tabs have on top speed for this boat?

Rootsy = Jamie.... try a 350 chevy (it came this way right from Donzi btw)... and an Alpha SS... the mouse twisted the dyno @ 413 corrected ponies and 432 ft-lb... 1.59 gear ratio (dont ask it's a long story) she spun a 27 hydromotive quad IV O/T 5700 - 5800 rpm... everything fit under the hatch... BTW... NO TRIM TABS... :) 81.3 gps is the fastest i ever saw... 77 - 78 was more the norm... fresh water, inland lake... ie no current...

jengel
10-02-2006, 01:14 PM
ouch, that's fast. With this boat the problem has always been the driver. (Knowing that the hull and prop will leave the water if I take it over any decent wake I have to confess that I lose my nerve well before the boat runs out of horses.)

It has the right engine (Corvette 350 that came with it)
So, you are saying that with a stainless steel prop, changing the gear ratio and tweaking that this boat could do 78-81 mph?

I am not familiar with part of what you said (a 27 hydromotive quad IV O/T 5700 - 5800 rpm). This boat has the more typical Volvo 280. I think the top speed is 55mph. With an Alpha SS prop I think it might be 62 and with a change in the gear ratio it might hit 70mph. I think that the last 10mph comes from that change to the outdrive you mentioned. That 'bout right?

Is there any difference in the weight between a 1976 hull and an '03 hull?

John

Rootsy
10-02-2006, 01:38 PM
ouch, that's fast. With this boat the problem has always been the driver. (Knowing that the hull and prop will leave the water if I take it over any decent wake I have to confess that I lose my nerve well before the boat runs out of horses.)
It has the right engine (Corvette 350 that came with it)
So, you are saying that with a stainless steel prop, changing the gear ratio and tweaking that this boat could do 78-81 mph?
I am not familiar with part of what you said (a 27 hydromotive quad IV O/T 5700 - 5800 rpm). This boat has the more typical Volvo 280. I think the top speed is 55mph. With an Alpha SS prop I think it might be 62 and with a change in the gear ratio it might hit 70mph. I think that the last 10mph comes from that change to the outdrive you mentioned. That 'bout right?
Is there any difference in the weight between a 1976 hull and an '03 hull?
John

the hydromotive quad IV O/T was the prop..... 5700 - 5800 was the rpm i was spinning the motor and the alpha SS is a mercruiser hi-performance sterndrive....