PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank

ANGUS
09-29-2006, 05:07 PM
What Material Is The Fuel Tank In My '92 22' Classic Made From ? Does Anyone Have The Definative Answer On How Much Fuel To Leave In The Tank When Winterizing With Ethanol/gasoline? Is There An Additive That Should Be Used?

mphatc
09-29-2006, 05:38 PM
All marine fuel tanks are vented to atmosphere . . . so a fuel preservative should be used, Stabil is a good one.
And the fuel tank should be full. This eliminates condensation forming inside the tank on exposed surfaces, leaving you with water in the fuel come spring.

I am not aware of any special precautions for the ethanol based fuels . . If anyone does, I'd like to know as I am responsible for storing 20 vintage and classic cars every winter.

Mario L.

mlbarnow
10-08-2006, 12:55 AM
Been dealing with this question all year at a marine supply shop in NJ.
First and foremost consult your mechanic or engine manufacture,
with that said the most common product in our area for week to week
use is Star Tron by Starbrite added when you fill up. Star Tron helps
maintain the octane level and deals with the water. For winter storage
we are hearing that you want as little ethanol in your tank and add a
new product from MDR called E-Zorb. Ethanol over the long term will
split into gas water and alcohol which E-Zorb was developed to deal with. It is recommended that you use 10 micron fuel separators (we carry Mallory).
I have a 1990 Donzi F-23 with a 1990 225 hp Evenrude and I have
followed the above steps with no problems so far.
Mike

ANGUS
10-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Mike, Thanks For Your Input On The Fuel Situation, What You Have Suggested Seems To Make Good Sense. I Am Still Unsure What Material Was Used In My Fuel Tank...built While Owned By Chris Craft In 1992. If Anyone Can State For Sure What My Tank Is Made Of I Would Appreciate The Info. .....i Keep Hearing This New Gas Is Bad On Aluminum Fuel Tanks.thanks