PDA

View Full Version : msd ignition

margo
09-27-2006, 06:51 PM
anyone out there have the msd ignition box and if so can you see any improvement in performance or economy Joe

Rodger
09-27-2006, 07:37 PM
I've had a MSD 7AL on my turbocharged 454 for 16 years. Unless I had brand new spark plugs installed, I was having trouble breaking up under boost above 4800 RPM. The MSD box cured that. I was running a Mallory dual point distributor and replaced the points with a Unilite module. The Unilite allowed the engine to start better when it was cold but actually made the breaking up problem worse. This is when I added the MSD box. After adding the MSD, I noticed the idle speed went up by 100 or so RPM. The multispark feature must have been more efficient; at least at slow speeds.

Rootsy
09-27-2006, 08:08 PM
anyone out there have the msd ignition box and if so can you see any improvement in performance or economy Joe

on a stock or mild engine you won't see much if any improvement other than maybe cleaning up the idle... you'd be better off with a mallory unilite, Thunderbolt IV from mercruiser or installing a pentronix kit in your existing prestolite or whatever you have... btw, if you have a mallory you can most likely get a unilite conversion kit for it...

JMHO

JR

margo
09-28-2006, 09:21 AM
on a stock or mild engine you won't see much if any improvement other than maybe cleaning up the idle... you'd be better off with a mallory unilite, Thunderbolt IV from mercruiser or installing a pentronix kit in your existing prestolite or whatever you have... btw, if you have a mallory you can most likely get a unilite conversion kit for it...
JMHO
JRi have a new mallory electronic distributer...probably should keep my money if there is no improvement...Thanks Joe

margo
09-28-2006, 09:23 AM
JMHO
JRi have a new mallory electronic distributer...probably should keep my money if there is no improvement...Thanks Joe

Barry Eller
09-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Just installed the MSD billet distributor, MSD box and coil on my 502. I am having my marine certified mechanic rewire my engine to US Coast Guard specs. My OMC Spitefire ignition was getting old and I decided to go with the MSD package. Hope to have runnning again soon.