PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fuel is setting new records

Ranman
09-27-2006, 02:52 PM
the bottom fell out of the gasoline market and sweet oil is trading below $60/bbl, but...

Diesel fuel is setting new records

Purchasing
October 10, 2005

Many business deliveries are made by trucks powered by diesel fuel, which closed last week by setting a record at the pump of $3.20 a gallon. At this time last year, diesel prices were at $2.09 but many Gulf Coast refineries this year still are closed in the aftermath of hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Analysts say $4 diesel is possible.

As of last week, 10 gasoline and diesel refineries accounting for 14% of U.S. capacity remained closed due to the hurricanes, the Reuters News Service reported, and 80% of offshore Gulf of Mexico production remained shut. Diesel prices greatly influence everyday life and arguably impact business and living costs even more than gasoline prices. Trucks carry 70% of all freight in the country, and 80% of all communities get their goods solely by truck, according to the American Trucking Associations. The trucking industry is on pace to spend an unprecedented $85 billion on fuel this year-a $23 billion increase over last year. For most motor carriers, fuel already represents 25% of operating costs and is the second-highest expense after labor. "Diesel prices will raise the price of everything that is shipped and are already having an influence," says economist James Williams at WTRG Economics in London, Ark. He says $4 diesel is a possibility. Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst at the Oil Price Information Service in Rockville, Md., agrees. "There is a crisis," he says on company website OPISnet.com, "evident at truck stops and other places that pump diesel fuel across the Southeast, Midwest and Gulf Coast states. Expect to hear loud screams soon from trucking companies, railroads and anyone else that buys diesel fuel across the country."

Randy's note - relief not foreseen as we go into home heating oil season, which draws from the same, already-tight supply stream as does #2 diesel, kerosene and jet fuel.

gold-n-rod
09-27-2006, 05:24 PM
I take with a grain of salt anything that a "representative" of shippers has to say. I don't think that most shippers are hurting. They pass along their additional costs to the consumer, often as a "fuel surcharge."

What is true in the article is that ultimately, it's the consumer who takes it up the ass. And this affects the economy..... and here's where I have to stop so that I don't get political....... :bonk:

gold-n-rod
09-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Wait a minute.... I smell a rat. That article is from October 2005???????

WTF? :confused:

Ranman
09-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Hmmmm, it looks like you're right. Funny, this was just distributed to me today and I missed the date.

Diesel is still high compared to gas... I'm going to investigate my source...

need for speed
09-27-2006, 06:56 PM
good old news... maybe it will come down.!! i hope so ... filled up with Diesel today... it sucks.!!!:crossfing

need for speed
09-27-2006, 07:38 PM
I like the Ga price~~!!!

last week here Naples 2.76
today 2.76

mrfixxall
09-27-2006, 08:19 PM
lombard il 2.42 a gal:yippie:

Cuda
09-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Paid $2.59 in Orlando for diesel today. Yesterday I was at the store I stop at every morning, and one of the ladies that worked there was walking out with a "7" in her hand. I told her I hoped that was for diesel. It was. Went from $2.89 a gallon to $2.79, and I saw it $2.73 today. At least it's headed in the right direction.

ChromeGorilla
09-27-2006, 10:47 PM
$2.39 for diesel here...filled up yesterday.

Filled up the VW today with 93 octane @ $2.19

Regular is $1.89 a block from my place.

I'm still waiting for diesel to be less than regular like it was when I bought my truck.....:boggled:

CHACHI
09-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Bought my diesel Jetta in Nov 1999,and diesel was less than gas. Two weeks later diesel passed regular gas in price and has never looked back. Home heating oil is nothing more than #2 diesel fuel dyed red. Home heating oil at the "rack" last week was $1.75/gal. Heating oil from the local dealer was $2.199. (I am sooooo happy that I pre-bought at $2.659, another time for that story). Diesel fuel $2.79/gal. Can you say taxes. Lube stocks.......haven't budged a penny. Ken

ChromeGorilla
09-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Diesel down to $2.30 locally

Regular $1.84

Premium $2.04

Good thing gas prices came down just in time for elections....... now gas prices won't be fresh on everyones minds when it's time to vote...... :rolleyes:

Sneaky incumbants....:yes: :wink:

gold-n-rod
09-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Sneaky incumbants....:yes: :wink:

Hey, stop it, godammit........... that's not allowed!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :bonk:

Sofa King
09-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Diesel will be going higher, Where do u buy gas for $1.84? I take it that is tax free?

ChromeGorilla
10-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Diesel will be going higher, Where do u buy gas for $1.84? I take it that is tax free?

No it's not tax free, I'm in SC.