PDA

View Full Version : latest prop data

blueliner
09-25-2006, 12:02 PM
btw, just tried my new prop from bblades. full tank of gas, still water, spare prop on board, plus rest of normal boat gear(bruce anchor, pfd's, you know the drill)

mirage plus 27P (labbed)
5050 rpm
77.7 mph

i wasn't able to pull my tabs all the way up either. i ran out of water and had to pull up on the throttle. i think i could hit 78+. not bad for a stock HO.

blackhawk
09-25-2006, 12:51 PM
btw, just tried my new prop from bblades. full tank of gas, still water, spare prop on board, plus rest of normal boat gear(bruce anchor, pfd's, you know the drill)
mirage plus 27P (labbed)
5050 rpm
77.7 mph
i wasn't able to pull my tabs all the way up either. i ran out of water and had to pull up on the throttle. i think i could hit 78+. not bad for a stock HO.

Man that's flying with a stock HO! You must have a good one! :D

Did you notice any "quirks" with the handing of the 27? I've heard the 27 and 29 cause handing issues on certain boats.

blueliner
09-25-2006, 01:35 PM
the great thing about this new prop is the smooth acceleration i get. it feels like turbo charged cruising from 45 to 65 takes no time at all. you feel the prop just pushing you through. i had to send it back to brett initially because my rpm's were too low, and had to put the 25p back on. what a difference. yeah, the hole shot with the 25p is better, but i will give that up any day for the superior speed and acceleration.

blackhawk
09-25-2006, 02:08 PM
the great thing about this new prop is the smooth acceleration i get. it feels like turbo charged cruising from 45 to 65 takes no time at all. you feel the prop just pushing you through. i had to send it back to brett initially because my rpm's were too low, and had to put the 25p back on. what a difference. yeah, the hole shot with the 25p is better, but i will give that up any day for the superior speed and acceleration.

How's the handling with the 27?

blueliner
09-25-2006, 03:44 PM
could u be more specific w/ regards to handling??? any handling issues in particular???

BigGrizzly
09-25-2006, 06:06 PM
The handling quircs was because Julie At thrittle up called the Marage plus 27 and higher the widow maker. I didn't like the handling of the 27M+ but it was hardly that bad We felt the 27 TurboI handled better and was faster. We did back to back tests to determine this. Guys just remember the labed prop is no longer a Marage Plus but a new hand made propeller. You will not get that performance from a stock out of the box Marage, and you may not be able to duplicate Blue's performqnce. All said Congradulations that is moving on the water.

Pismo
09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
CMI exhaust and you might hit 80.

blackhawk
09-25-2006, 09:19 PM
The handling quircs was because Julie At thrittle up called the Marage plus 27 and higher the widow maker. I didn't like the handling of the 27M+ but it was hardly that bad We felt the 27 TurboI handled better and was faster. We did back to back tests to determine this. Guys just remember the labed prop is no longer a Marage Plus but a new hand made propeller. You will not get that performance from a stock out of the box Marage, and you may not be able to duplicate Blue's performqnce. All said Congradulations that is moving on the water.

I have heard from several people the the smaller diameter of the 27(and maybe the 29, I can't remember) made the boat run way too loose. But I have never tried one.

From his signature it looks like Blueliner has a strong runner no matter what prop he has on it!

blueliner
09-25-2006, 09:59 PM
the original stock mirage plus 27+ hit 77 mph. but now with the labbed prop the acceleration is better u can feel it for sure. if you want better performance than the 25+ that comes on the boat, i would say try a stock 27p. you wont be dis with the results why does julie call it the widowmaker?? have there been a lot of reported accidents due to the use of this prop. i think it is much more stable than the 25+ it really lifts the boat out of the water!!! i am very happy with the job brett did at bblades and would say everyone should talk to him before buying a prop.

BigGrizzly
09-26-2006, 09:30 AM
no accidents just smoke and mirrors. I found the TurboI and the Turbo TXP both to be faster and handle better, at least on every 22 I have tried the props on.

blueliner
09-26-2006, 10:41 AM
well,

i think my boat is flying pretty quick for a stock boat, and haven't really heard of many other boats w/ mirage's, turbos, hydro's, that are going faster. i think a lot of people diss the mirage+ props for no reason. now i haven't tried the turbo, so i can't really comment on that prop, but i have never had a problem w/ my other mirage+prop either. i think if u get your boat trimmed properly all of the bad stuff goes away. im standing by my mirage+ and like where i am headed with it. also, the stock out of the box mirage+ 27P i hit 77 w/ 5100 rpm's, which is still damn good...
no accidents just smoke and mirrors. I found the TurboI and the Turbo TXP both to be faster and handle better, at least on every 22 I have tried the props on.

boldts
09-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Just a side note I heard through the grapevines. I heard that Brett at BBlades tested the Turbo props and liked them so well, he is now also selling them? This from a Mercruiser Racing guy. Now I'm sure he'll work to refine what ever manufacturers prop you would send him. He'd be a fool not to. Blue, it's all about what works for you and your wallet. I think those who run and like the Turbo products do so because what you get out of the box already works without the added expense of tweaking to get that last little bit out of the prop. Yes, you can lap a Turbo if you want, but you don't have to.

Every 22 Classic is not the same nor are the drivers the same. On some boats and with their drivers, the Mirage + may be a better prop? Some like a very loose feel at WOT. On mine though and with my driving style, I just prefered a more solid feel under me especially in turbulant waters like found on most weekend trips to the local lakes.

And no, I don't work for or sell Turbo props, but I ran one on my 22 and it was the best, least expensive upgrade I did on my boat while I had it. Speed increase and better handling all across the rpm ranges. I don't mind at all promoting a product that works and has been a long time supporter of the Midwest Donzi Club's AOTH gathering.

blueliner
09-26-2006, 11:58 AM
scott,

fyi,
brett sold me the merc prop. we talked about the turbo and he thought it (merc prop)would be best over the turbo, why i don't know. i went with his opinion since he has far more knowledge on the subject than i do. ur right every boat is different and every driver is different. curious though, could u elaborate on "a more solid feel" w/ regards to the turbo prop. and by loose are you referring to the chine walking?? i am still new at this game and trying to get as much info on the subject as possible. thanks scott

Just a side note I heard through the grapevines. I heard that Brett at BBlades tested the Turbo props and liked them so well, he is now also selling them? This from a Mercruiser Racing guy. Now I'm sure he'll work to refine what ever manufacturers prop you would send him. He'd be a fool not to. Blue, it's all about what works for you and your wallet. I think those who run and like the Turbo products do so because what you get out of the box already works without the added expense of tweaking to get that last little bit out of the prop. Yes, you can lap a Turbo if you want, but you don't have to.
Every 22 Classic is not the same nor are the drivers the same. On some boats and with their drivers, the Mirage + may be a better prop? Some like a very loose feel at WOT. On mine though and with my driving style, I just prefered a more solid feel under me especially in turbulant waters like found on most weekend trips to the local lakes.
And no, I don't work for or sell Turbo props, but I ran one on my 22 and it was the best, least expensive upgrade I did on my boat while I had it. Speed increase and better handling all across the rpm ranges. I don't mind at all promoting a product that works and has been a long time supporter of the Midwest Donzi Club's AOTH gathering.

Rootsy
09-26-2006, 12:26 PM
why does julie call it the widowmaker?? have there been a lot of reported accidents due to the use of this prop.

if you would have asked me this at AOTH about 3 years ago i could have given you a very vivid answer as i was changing my shorts...

blueliner
09-26-2006, 12:31 PM
what happened??? haven't been on the board that long...
if you would have asked me this at AOTH about 3 years ago i could have given you a very vivid answer as i was changing my shorts...

boldts
09-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Steve, first, I didn't mean that Brett prefered one prop company over another, merely that I was told he liked the Turbo props. I'm glad to hear that he discussed both with you. That is a quality sales person!

By more solid feel, I mean like walking on solid ground to a person rather than a floating dock which moves under your feet if not big enough with big floats to handle your weight. Maybe a bad anology. My boat before the Turbo1 porposed to the point of no fun to drive until the boat reached top speed. Then she would settle down and run steady. How-ever, the boat even at WOT still got upset by the slightest wave or change in the water. It wasn't just me or the way I drove the boat as others drove the boat with the same results. The boat toped out at 65 gps running everything stock and a Bravo 1 drive. However, it had been supercharged and didn't have the 1.5:1 ratio anymore. Really needed to have that put back in her with a stock engine. The boat wasn't fast or anywhere near the speeds your working with which by the way I think is fantastic for a stock 22. On mine, there was no use of trim other than a one tap on the out button or up button and then only again at WOT. If you attempted to trim the boat out, it was like walking a tight wire she was so loose.

When I bought the Turbo1, all this crazyness instantly went away. If I ran the trim all the way in, the bow was in the water. If I trimed her out, the bow came up and the boat felt like it was floating in the air. No querky moves or flying out of the water if you hit a ripple in the water. A very solid, comfortable feel at WOT which increased from 65 to 68 gps even though I ran 1" less pitch than the previous prop. It was like night and day in comparison. I could run the boat at 68 through very ruff chopped up water and feel like I was driving down a highway at 30 mph. :) She just floated the bow and it felt very cool.

I'm really glad that the prop your using is working so well for you. I didn't mean to sound like a Turbo was the best prop bar none. Experts like Brett who have been around speed, know their stuff. So, I too would have trusted what he told me. I'm a little surprised though that he didn't put a Turbo on the boat and let you try it though. Your hull is an 05. Maybe the hull has changed a bit over the years. Higher X if I remember right? It's quite possible the Mirage + does run better on your set-up. The only way to truly know would be to do a test yourself. Question is though, the money is spent, modifications made, is it worth spending more to try a prop that might be better or maybe not?

I wish you the best as I love your Classic. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to go Northward to Canada and visit with you all up there. Beautiful water for sure and a great group of people! Take care.

RickSE
09-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Is there even a 27" Turbo available, don't they stop at 25"?

I mentioned this before but Donzi was running a 27P M+ on the 22-Shelby at the 07' Dealer Conf. It seemed to run fine.

Greg K
09-26-2006, 03:08 PM
I have a vague vision of this...it was not a pretty sight..:eek!:

boldts
09-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Rick - pretty sure Grizzly is running more than 25" of pitch with his procharged engine. You might want to give Precission a call though. Ask for Chris Booe and tell him Scott Boldt sent ya his way. Chris knows the Classic as he has been to AOTH the last 5 years. If they make it, he'll let ya know and may even let you test a new design on the boat. They are always working on new ideas. Grizzly strictly sells the larger pitch Turbo props. Another person to talk to about running larger pitch props would be Roadtrip. I know he has opinions on the Mirage + and the Turbo props.

For you Volvo guys, I got to drive Randy's 18' Donzi with a Solas on it. Those props hook up and run great. The acceleration is unbelievable!

blueliner
09-26-2006, 06:34 PM
scott,

thanks for the info. i didn't mean anything by it either. i just meant that brett thought the mirage+ would be the best way to go for my boat based on the numbers i gave him. now again, he has done a lot of work on my prop, basically made it a 28 pitch if i'm not mistaken since mirage's next one up is a 29 which he said is more like a 31. i like the bigger pitch overall because of the accleration factor from 50-70 mph. its unbelievable. i was next to a guy yesterday and were cruising at 50 mph and then i dropped the hammer and i pulled away like i have never been able to before. top end is great and all, to be able to post a number, but i am more impressed with it in the 50-65 mph range. thats where i spend most of my time anyway. it's great to know there are that many flavors out there for all of us. all the best...
Steve, first, I didn't mean that Brett prefered one prop company over another, merely that I was told he liked the Turbo props. I'm glad to hear that he discussed both with you. That is a quality sales person!
By more solid feel, I mean like walking on solid ground to a person rather than a floating dock which moves under your feet if not big enough with big floats to handle your weight. Maybe a bad anology. My boat before the Turbo1 porposed to the point of no fun to drive until the boat reached top speed. Then she would settle down and run steady. How-ever, the boat even at WOT still got upset by the slightest wave or change in the water. It wasn't just me or the way I drove the boat as others drove the boat with the same results. The boat toped out at 65 gps running everything stock and a Bravo 1 drive. However, it had been supercharged and didn't have the 1.5:1 ratio anymore. Really needed to have that put back in her with a stock engine. The boat wasn't fast or anywhere near the speeds your working with which by the way I think is fantastic for a stock 22. On mine, there was no use of trim other than a one tap on the out button or up button and then only again at WOT. If you attempted to trim the boat out, it was like walking a tight wire she was so loose.
When I bought the Turbo1, all this crazyness instantly went away. If I ran the trim all the way in, the bow was in the water. If I trimed her out, the bow came up and the boat felt like it was floating in the air. No querky moves or flying out of the water if you hit a ripple in the water. A very solid, comfortable feel at WOT which increased from 65 to 68 gps even though I ran 1" less pitch than the previous prop. It was like night and day in comparison. I could run the boat at 68 through very ruff chopped up water and feel like I was driving down a highway at 30 mph. :) She just floated the bow and it felt very cool.
I'm really glad that the prop your using is working so well for you. I didn't mean to sound like a Turbo was the best prop bar none. Experts like Brett who have been around speed, know their stuff. So, I too would have trusted what he told me. I'm a little surprised though that he didn't put a Turbo on the boat and let you try it though. Your hull is an 05. Maybe the hull has changed a bit over the years. Higher X if I remember right? It's quite possible the Mirage + does run better on your set-up. The only way to truly know would be to do a test yourself. Question is though, the money is spent, modifications made, is it worth spending more to try a prop that might be better or maybe not?
I wish you the best as I love your Classic. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to go Northward to Canada and visit with you all up there. Beautiful water for sure and a great group of people! Take care.

BigGrizzly
09-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Tirbo did make a 27 turbo I loaned mine to Poodle. I now run a 29 TXP. Doc Dan Had a 27 Turbo too. They onlu make it on request because the new props are better. I will not get into a discussion on the down falls of the Marage, because some love it, some hate it. One thing is every time I change one to a turbo of some sort they love it. Now thesr mostly are stock props. Problem is people don't try different props they are hqrd to come by. Every year At Cumberland Precsision comes and people try props and most love them and go home with one. This year I am going to Sota with a number of props, but I will bet only very few will want to try them. Reason is people don't bother. I have tried more than 15 different props on my boat, and I'm not done yet. I now have another favorite, the TXP. Remember Blue you don't have a marage prop anymore, you have a Brett prop now. I will say you have the fastest 496 Ho that I have heard of, regardless of what prop you are running.

blackhawk
09-26-2006, 10:35 PM
The turbo website shows the Turbo 1 to 27, Vector to 26 and the Lightning to 29. Nothing on the Lightning TXP on the site. :confused: Their website pretty much sucks.

I tried a Turbo 1 on my Unlimited 191 and it worked okay. Not enough bow lift. Viper worked better.

I also tried a Turbo 1 on my Pantera and it worked well. But I saw no real difference in handling between it and the Mirage Plus. Standard Mirage worked the best. I would like to try a TXP with the higher rake and larger diameter.

Rootsy
09-27-2006, 06:10 AM
The turbo website shows the Turbo 1 to 27, Vector to 26 and the Lightning to 29. Nothing on the Lightning TXP on the site. :confused: Their website pretty much sucks.
I tried a Turbo 1 on my Unlimited 191 and it worked okay. Not enough bow lift. Viper worked better.
I also tried a Turbo 1 on my Pantera and it worked well. But I saw no real difference in handling between it and the Mirage Plus. Standard Mirage worked the best. I would like to try a TXP with the higher rake and larger diameter.

the website might not be the "most flashy" thing in the world but jim booe is probably one fo the nicest fellas you'll ever speak to. on the flip side.. hydromotive has a nice website and they are like talking to the neighborhood arrogant jackass...

BigGrizzly
09-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Rootsy, Tom is an arrogant jackass. He has treated the national rechord holder at Pro Boat like an idiot. So now I will get their buisness. Yes the Turbo website needs help but the tech line doesn't. They care about their customers, niceness doesn't end with the sale of the prop. Everone there is great. Chris is Jim's son and the seed doesn't fall far from the tree. Hydro props are good but they better get moving because other companies are just as good and getting better.

blackhawk
09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
the website might not be the "most flashy" thing in the world but jim booe is probably one fo the nicest fellas you'll ever speak to. on the flip side.. hydromotive has a nice website and they are like talking to the neighborhood arrogant jackass...

It's just hard to read when you click on the prop you are interested in. It looks like they just scanned in a page out of their catalog. Very fuzzy with missing parts of the page! It really doesn't bother me but it could frustrate other possible customers. It was actually better last year.