PDA

View Full Version : boat covers for classic

blueliner
09-25-2006, 10:48 AM
i know there have been many posts about boat covers, but does anyone know of a company that makes a cover that is really quick and easy to put on and take off. i am looking for a cover that isn't really necessary for trailering, more for just sitting on the lift. something that is easy to take on and off. if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. also, what is the name of the site where you guys have found the company that makes the sunbrella boat covers and they know they are for donzi classics 22'.

thanks again

btw, just tried my new prop from bblades. full tank of gas, still water, spare prop on board, plus rest of normal boat gear(bruce anchor, pfd's, you know the drill)

mirage plus 27P (labbed)
5050 rpm
77.7 mph

i wasn't able to pull my tabs all the way up either. i ran out of water and had to pull up on the throttle. i think i could hit 78+. not bad for a stock HO.

Carl C
09-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Nice numbers, I'm sure the cool air helped. I just picked up a decent trailerable cover with tie downs and everything for $100 at K-mart. These stores are blowing out all the boating gear so it's a good time to stock up.

blueliner
09-25-2006, 11:32 AM
well, it was 75 degrees yesterday... i guess if it was really cool look out!!!!!

Cuda
09-25-2006, 08:11 PM
I believe Bilt Rite can make you a cover.

A few weeks ago, Debbie told me she could make a cover, so I bought the sunbrella to make one out of. It's been sitting in my living room for over two weeks.

I like the cover that came with the boat, I'm pretty sure it's about the same age as the boat (1982). It still keeps the junk out of it, but it's getting pretty thing in some spots. I don't like the way you have to tie it down to trailer with it. I usually only trailer with the cockpit cover.

yeller
09-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Any place that makes boat tops can make a cover for you, but it won't be cheap. Something like Cuda's will probably be around $2000.
I'd recommend getting one that completely covers the sides (like Cudas) because of where your boat is stored. One that only comes part ways down will flap in the wind and will eventually scratch the gel (regardless of the type of material).

Cuda
09-25-2006, 11:23 PM
I only paid $1500 for this one on my 302. Custom made obviously.:wink:

Carl C
09-26-2006, 06:11 AM
A lot depends on your needs. If the boat sits outside then you may need an expensive custom cover. I just use mine to keep the dust off of it in the winter (indoors) so a K-mart el-cheapo was fine for me. I tow without a cover. I'd rather risk stone chips than chaffing from a cover and straps. If your boat lift has a canopy then you may be OK with a cheap generic.:alligator

yeller
09-26-2006, 10:31 AM
I only paid $1500 for this one on my 302. Custom made obviously.:wink:That sounds like a good price. Lots of fabric in that cover. I may be a bit high on my estimate....but maybe not. Stuff costs more in Canada. :( The cost of material alone for my cover was $600 (wholesale).....double that for retail.

Steve, look in the yellow pages and call a couple places that do boat tops. They'll come out and give a free estimate. Cheapest way to go though will probably be pre-made.

Cevert
09-26-2006, 01:27 PM
try
http://www.westland-az.com/index.html

JPR
09-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Haruna Boat Covers on Clarke between 1st and Venebles. Guys name is Harish. They have been in business for a long time, did a nice job on my 18' Hourston. Local guy who does good work.

ITTLFLI
09-27-2006, 09:34 AM
I would be interested in one of these full fitted covers also. Maybe we could get a group together and get a bulk discount somehwere?

turbo2256
09-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Price varries mostly due to the materal used and the amout of material. Wider beams may require purchasing three rolls and only using some portion of the width of one. My cover for the 33' much like cuda's was around 1500 in Sunbrella. Some of the vinyl materals were closer to 1000. My cover like cuda's for m 23.5' in vinyl was around 650.

Cuda
09-27-2006, 03:23 PM
I bought what I believe to be enough Sunbrella off ebay to do the 22 cover for about $250 including shipping. The exact same color as it has now. There's a place in St Augustine that always has some Sunbrella on ebay.

yeller
09-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Good deal Cuda. I wouldn't doubt if I ordered more fabric than you though, as I made my cover like the one in your pic except I completely covered the front of the hull all the way to the start of the trailer bunks. My total cost was $575. That's $475 for fabric + $100 for straps, edging, velcro, etc. I would expect shipping to western Canada to be slightly more. So if I was able to get slightly more fabric shipped to me for say $300, my cost would be $345Cdn + 13% tax at the border = $390. $85 cheaper. Still a better deal....just not as good as $250.

BTW: Don't know your wifes sewing experience so I apologize if the following is obvious, but here's a few tips:
As with most sewn items, the weakest spot is the seams, even more so on a cover made with a home machine because it isn't capable of taking the thicker thread that should be used. Use the largest needle/thread possible. The seams are always folded over and top-stitched for extra strength, but you might want to consider top-stitching them twice because you'll be using a thinner thread. Get a cotton/syn blend thread. The cotton will swell when wet to plug the holes and prevent leakage. The syn adds strength. If you are not concerned about the odd little water drop, go full syn. (There are thread sealers that can be used afterwards to seal the holes).

You can make the pattern using the material, but I find it easier to use paper and then transfer to the fabric. I always have a roll (60"w) of brown kraft paper. (It's about as thick or slightly thicker than a brown paper grocery bag.........does anyplace still use those???). Mark the center of your boat at the front, back and top of windshield, then lay the paper on and tape it in place. You only have to pattern one side. I always run one solid piece (edge on the center marks) down the entire length of the boat. If it won't lay properly, i.e: to many wrinkles/waves, run one piece from the front to the windshield and another from the windshield back. The reason I prefer the paper is because it holds the tape better and you can pattern the entire half at once. It's difficult with the fabric because it is heavier and hard to get tight and wrinkle free (for a good pattern). Also with paper you can cut it, mark it, tear it, wherever necessary without fear of making a mistake. (I'm also very picky and like things tight, tight, tight and wrinkle free). My cover fits like a glove. It is so exact that if it was 1/2" shorter, it wouldn't fit.
Sorry about the long-winded comment. I'm sure your wife knows what she is doing. Just hoping to help out. :yes: :biggrin.:

Cuda
09-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeller, I appreciate the advice. I don't know how her sewing skills are either. She never even mentioned she used to work at a sewing place before I knew her, because she knows I'd want her to take a shot at it. She was talking about getting some pattern material, then making pieces exactly like the one's that are on the boat. I know there will be other costs too, like you mentioned. Hell, I'd be surprised if she ever tries it at all. I talked to her aunt at their family reunion a few weeks ago, who had an upholstery business, and she gave me a few pointers too. Even if she never does make it, I've blown $250 on worse causes. Hell, I just found $1000 mistake I made on a bid on a job, that will come right out of my profit. :(

I'm willing to bet I get the HP500 completely ready to go, and installed before she ever makes that cover.:lookaroun

yeller
09-28-2006, 10:59 PM
All in all, it's not that difficult to make a cover.....but it is time consuming. My $ is on the HP being done 1st. :wink: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Blueliner, considering that you store your boat on a lift, anything that properly protects the boat will not be quick and easy to install/remove. If I were you, I'd buy a cheapy cover to keep the spider crap off it and put side curtians on your lift instead. :)

zimm17
09-29-2006, 11:44 PM
I bought a coverquest- fits like a glove. Great cover. I received it 2 weeks after ordering. $589 for sunbrella with free shipping and free strap kit so it can be trailerable or "storm proofed" so it won't blow away. Without the straps it goes on and comes off easily. There's a nylon rope that is in the perimeter and ties at the stern. If you make it snug, you don't need to retie it every time.

http://www.coverquest.com/covers/boat/boatmodel.php

They list only a narrow range of 22' Classic's, but I think it will fit them all. There're also cheaper covers in the $300 range if you don't want/need Sunbrella. I recommend it though, it's waterproof, breathes, and supposedly doesn't fade.