PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever hear of a 22 capsizing?

Sofa King
09-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Whether too much air or big seas, whatever. just curious.

Sofa King

Carl C
09-23-2006, 05:39 PM
I only have 2 years hands on experience with a 22C but it seems to come down straight even if I get out of shape on a roque wave. Have faith in the boat and hold on and.......wear your lanyard!

need for speed
09-23-2006, 06:03 PM
wear your lanyard YES!!:crossfing

Sofa King
09-23-2006, 07:22 PM
My boat is friggin awesome! I love it. I took advice from the board and for the first time hit a monster wave and didn't throttle back in the air, what a mistake LOL. Skipped five ways to sideways and everyone puckerd :eek!:

boatnut
09-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Interesting question, lets expand it to any of the classics 16, 18 or 22. How many that we are aware of have flipped, what do we know about the incident and did they sink etc.???? I have owned them since 1970 and am not aware of any going over but we don't see a lot of them here on the left coast ----- esp back in the 70's.

Carl C
09-28-2006, 08:25 AM
We had a sad incident years ago on Lake Oakland where a new owner of an 18C stood the boat on it's stern, flew up and landed on his back on the seatback. He broke his back and is now paralyzed from the waist down. I don't think the boat flipped. I've heard rumors about the cause of the accident but out of respect for the victim I will not comment on that.

Magicallbill
10-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Carl C. That's really bad,wierd news..Almost sounds like a freak accident.
Anyway, my 18 feels like it could go right on over in a sharp turn..I don't push it, I'm not interested in finding out.
I think there was a discussion on here awhile back about rolling one over. I think one member said that when the prop loses it's bite,the boat'll right itself and fall back down,rather than rolling on over.

gpapich
10-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Don't know too much about capsizing, but overtaking boats especially when you have multiple boats in the same direction (poker runs) can get interesting. Trim in some for more control.

I think the nearest I came to flipping it came as I was rounding a 90 degree river bend on the inside of the turn with another boat (opposite direction) already past. I hit his wake at about 35-40mph as I was already committed to the tight right turn. I was already heavily banked and with the turn plus the wake hitting the bottom of the hull, I about felt like I was on the bottom side of a capsize.

It righted as I came through the wake, but then I got into this quick oscillation and porpoise as I tried to correct for the lean. Kind of like getting behind in correcting a fishtailing car. The correct term is Pilot-Induced Oscillation (PIO) in flying.

Not fun. One more "I learned about performance boating from that..." moment.

Anyway, lesson-learned: watch for the additive effects of waves on what you're already doing. That and watch on tighter river bends. Just because you've passed a boat, doesn't mean you're out of danger.

DON N.
10-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Check Pictures On Performance Marine Lake George Ny. 22c.