PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic windshield update

Magic Float
12-12-2002, 01:27 PM
I mentioned I would snoop around on this and I have good news and bad news. The bad news is the guy that built the SS one is not only retired,he's also dead. He did them all himself by hand and didn't train anyone to take over. Taylor,who does the w/s for the 16 and 18 will not tool up for the 22 because of the cost/low volume.The good news is Donzi can have the plex w/s made without the 2 venturies that some of you hate. Not sure if it will cost more, I'm checking. This would make it look like some of the early F-22s. Personally I like what they are using now just fine but I know some don't. The later ones also fit perfectly, they just needed a little fine tuning from the early '03s.Hope this helps.

Verdugo
12-12-2002, 01:43 PM
Hey Magic Float Could you please post tyalors information I have a 16 classic I'd like to get some wind protection

thanks

Verdugo

Magic Float
12-12-2002, 02:29 PM
Taylor Made is the largest supplier of boat windshields to the industry, but I doubt they sell to consumers. You would probrably have to go thru your nearest Donzi dealer for that.

AVickers
12-12-2002, 04:01 PM
Think very carefully before you order a plex windshield without the deflectors...

I have a custom plex windshield without the deflectors on my C22 and it channels the wind directly into my face and ears... I'm 6'-1" tall and I sit normally in the seat. It really sucked because when doing 50MPH, I was getting about a 100MPH blast of wind -- channelled perfectly at my head. A day of boating would leave my eyes watering and my ears ringing -- a real drag. My C18 without a windshield was much more comfortable than the C22 with this setup. At one point, I thought about removing the shield altogether -- but the C22 looks so much better with the shield.

Anyway, I fabricated a deflector across the top of the windshield and it works perfectly. All things considered, I would rather have had the little eyelashes and put up with the goofy look.

"Run fast; look purdy; or rust..."

Magic Float
12-12-2002, 04:14 PM
I agree

Murphy
12-12-2002, 05:33 PM
Magic,

Are you saying they can still fabricate the 3/8" thick, 3-section, frameless, smoked plexiglass windshields with the deflectors as originally installed on the 1986 and earlier models? If so, who do I contact to find out about price for just the center piece?

Thanks,

Murph

Rodger
12-12-2002, 06:18 PM
I made clip-on deflectors for my F22. I keep them in the glove box, and when I want them, I clip them on in just a few moments. When they are on, they make the windshield look similar to the one of discussion on the new 22. This method allows the nice looking w/s or the wind protection when necessary. I'd post pics, but the boat is in Wisconsin while I'm in Illinois.

CDMA
12-12-2002, 06:26 PM
I wish the 22 looked good w/o a windshield...I would do mine that way fur sure but the boat just looks "wrong" without it.

Chris

Magic Float
12-12-2002, 06:49 PM
Murph,the new w/s is different. Your side wings I believe had a bend at the front, the new sides are just flat plex. Similar look but different.

Barry Phillips
12-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Hi Magic Float, I guess you are tired of hearing from me. I took a closer look at the plexy w/s on the blue on white 22 posted on your site, and I was right about the half frame. If Donzi can secure a vendor for the plexy unit why can't they come up with a better design. I have a great pic of a 87 Minx with a plexy w/s on it, and it looks really nice, I heard they were sourced from Italy also. I do not know how to post it, I will e-mail you a jpeg. The unit is made in 3 sections like the current one but the seam is about 18" back from the front corners, which are rounded, this gives the w/s an almost seamless appearance. It also has a venturi which takes the form of a rolled leading edge, very elegant. The sides taper right into the deck . There are almost no fasteners showing, well down.

By comparison the new one seems to have a black powder coated frame that joins the front and side glass at right angles and a metal frame along the base with exposed screw heads everywhere. The side glass just ends at an awkward angle, the nice taper is gone. Who ever put this thing together is a hack. As far as Taylor is concerned, why can they tool up for the 16s and 18s for which the w/s are an option and also low volume but not for the 22s? Maybe Donzi is looking at the wrong vendors or not looking hard enough. My neighbor worked for Taylor's windshield division up to last year and mentioned to me they do custom frabrications. One of the reasons I am so obsessed about this issue is because I am a designer and I know Donzi can do better, they have done better in the past. I still cannot believe there aren't boutique fabricaters who would be more than happy to accommodate Donzi's needs. There are dozens of small boat builders in the US with much cleaner designs. Where are they sourcing there w/s from? The Classic 22 deseves better.

SO-SLO

Verdugo
12-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Thanks Magic float I will definitly take your advise being 6' 2 myself i can see the problem think i pass on the windshield
thanks again

verdugo