PDA

View Full Version : International Boating Question

Carl C
09-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Is there any legal reason not to explore the Canadian side of Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River? Soon everyone will need a passport to cross the Canada/USA border. Probably means boaters will need to get a passport too?:alligator

boxy
09-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Carl, I'm not sure how it works in the Detroit River, and Lake Erie, but I assume it's the same as the St.Lawrence River and Lake Ontario.
As long as you don't touch land, you do not need to check in with Customs and Immigration. As soon as you land in Canada, to fuel, take a leak, beach the boat, grab some lunch, whatever, you need to call Canada Customs and report in, and then when you land back at your home port you have to report back to US Customs and Immigration.

Carl C
09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks, sounds like a hassle to visit a Canadian port then.:(

boxy
09-18-2006, 09:53 PM
No hassle, just carry the right documentation, and it's a breeze.....
We do it every day. There will be a sign posted at every marina you land at, it will tell what to do, it's usually just a simple phone call, unless they want a closer look.

Lenny
09-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Carl, it is easier than filling up the boat with gas... SERIOUSLY... :)

I do it all the time, but going to your Country.

Never a problem,... never.

Do it.

Carl C
09-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Thanks. Will do but maybe next year now. I will need to get a passport anyway for driving to Canada so will get going on that this winter.

Ranman
09-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Read up on this information. It may make sense for what you want to do.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/cb006/cb006-e.html

P.S. If you drop anchor in Canadian waters, you are in Canada and need to report. There is no requirement for simply being "underway", but once your anchor touches bottom, you've landed. Also remember that alcohol is illegal on a boat in Canadian waters unless the boat has a head, sleeping quarters and a galley (qualifies as a home and alcohol is legal at home). Lastly, porta-potties are also banned. only pump out heads are allowed.

Now back to DOmestic programming...

Carl C
09-19-2006, 08:03 AM
Also remember that alcohol is illegal on a boat in Canadian waters OK, Houston we have a problem. My most important piece of boating equipment is a cooler full of beer and gatorade. I'm gonna have to look into this and will study your link. You Canadians really boat alcohol free??? Is this strictly enforced or more of a "don't ask, don't tell" thing like in Kentucky? Baking in the sun is the one time that I really enjoy a cold brew. Here we can drink and drive as long as we are under the blood alcohol limit; about one beer per hour. Totally legal to hold a beer in hand while driving. :eek!: And I thought Canada was liberal!:eek!: :beer:

Ranman
09-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Let's just say it helpps to be aware of the laws so you know when you choose to break them. I know plenty of people who carry beer and drink on their non-qualifying boats without issue, but that doesn't mean they aren't breaking the law.

Even if your boat does qualify (bed, head and sink), it's illegal to have open containers while underway.

More good info on Ontario/Canadian boating.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/facts/foreign.htm

Lenny
09-20-2006, 12:46 AM
Randy, good point, except I have been doing it DAILY, on the West Coast, since I was six, and have been floating forever since that day in a myriad of devices that don't sink. The bottom line is, as is yours, DO NOT BE AN INTOXICATED IDIOT and think the Laws do not apply to you cause you are in a different Country...be it 5 miles away (my case) or more...
We are extremely Liberal in our enforcement, but to a fault ? Definately, but, a visit from a "friend", from US waters and Registry, will be treated like Royalty, with all the ensuing trails, and it will be a pleasant experience for all involved. NEVER is it otherwise. We embrace all your people, your Country, and individual political views, but ensure easy passage regardless of faith.
If you are drunk in a boat, and cause a ruckuss or injury, you are in $hit. No question... No different than there... (your home)
Carl, pretty much a mirror image of your values and expectations in the US...